Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
shan
morning quiff

lefthandedism wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:43 am
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:19 pm
shan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:06 pm
dontpanic wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:22 pm
shan wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 pm I don’t have much to add because this isn’t a conversation I enjoy but I have strong doubts that 140-character Dan once every few weeks is more authentic than an hour twice a week Dan we got for several months but that’s just me.

Dan stating in his book that he was ghosted by a bunch of people when he reached out to them because the only thing he was offering was friendship also isn’t very fitting with the horny jokes Dan makes being genuine. If thinking they aren't together makes some people happy, that's fine! But acting like people who think they are together are the illogical ones is a bit of a stretch.
I’m sorry if this has already been heavily discussed, I haven’t visited IDB for over a month, but would you (or anyone) mind expanding on this a bit more? Like, why was he ghosted, like what was the context?

Sorry for double posting, trying to catch up on the thread :oops:
Sure! I don't have access to my physical copy atm but I quickly typed out the full quote from the audiobook:
When I started making a conscious effort to fix my friendzone I reached out to other performers I admired and even total strangers in some video games I played. It wasn’t all a success; I was left on read a lot to which others tried to tell me they were probably just busy, but I knew the truth. Not naming names but a few figures clearly wanted to dive into something other than light conversation and were suddenly less interested when mutual interests were the only thing I spread on the table.
The context was how different relationships impact your mental health and making sure the people you have as friends or part of your 'inner circle' etc. aren't detrimental to it. The last part always felt a bit unnecessary to me and like he only included it to subtly make the point that he's not available, at least that's how it came across to me!
That's absolutely how I read that bit too. He was fairly pointed in making sure he added that he wasn't interested in anything besides friendship from people he reached out to.
I don't disagree, but I read that as more generally not wanting to be hit on by someone you've reached out to as a friend. I imagine Dan's had his fair share of getting hit on.
I'd be inclined to agree with you if it didn't feel like such an unnecessary addition to the point he was making. He could have easily left it at "I was getting left on read a lot" which is part of being vulnerable, you win some, you lose some etc. etc. Choosing to add in the bit about being hit on and saying no thanks doesn't quite fit right with the rest of that segment imo. That's why it felt like more of a purposeful point to me.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Gosh I've been so busy with work recently I've hardly been on here. Then again, considering it took about a minute and a half to catch up, looks like dnp seem to be buried in a cave themselves.

Might google how to perform some sort of ancient traditional dance to lure Phil into making a video. If one hits before Sunday, you'll know it worked :rofl: hope you're all well!
Levitating
#relatable

shan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:59 am
shan wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 pm I don’t have much to add because this isn’t a conversation I enjoy but I have strong doubts that 140-character Dan once every few weeks is more authentic than an hour twice a week Dan we got for several months but that’s just me.

Dan stating in his book that he was ghosted by a bunch of people when he reached out to them because the only thing he was offering was friendship also isn’t very fitting with the horny jokes Dan makes being genuine. If thinking they aren't together makes some people happy, that's fine! But acting like people who think they are together are the illogical ones is a bit of a stretch.
I’m sorry if this has already been heavily discussed, I haven’t visited IDB for over a month, but would you (or anyone) mind expanding on this a bit more? Like, why was he ghosted, like what was the context?

Sure! I don't have access to my physical copy atm but I quickly typed out the full quote from the audiobook:
When I started making a conscious effort to fix my friendzone I reached out to other performers I admired and even total strangers in some video games I played. It wasn’t all a success; I was left on read a lot to which others tried to tell me they were probably just busy, but I knew the truth. Not naming names but a few figures clearly wanted to dive into something other than light conversation and were suddenly less interested when mutual interests were the only thing I spread on the table.
The context was how different relationships impact your mental health and making sure the people you have as friends or part of your 'inner circle' etc. aren't detrimental to it. The last part always felt a bit unnecessary to me and like he only included it to subtly make the point that he's not available, at least that's how it came across to me!
That's absolutely how I read that bit too. He was fairly pointed in making sure he added that he wasn't interested in anything besides friendship from people he reached out to.
I don't disagree, but I read that as more generally not wanting to be hit on by someone you've reached out to as a friend. I imagine Dan's had his fair share of getting hit on.
I'd be inclined to agree with you if it didn't feel like such an unnecessary addition to the point he was making. He could have easily left it at "I was getting left on read a lot" which is part of being vulnerable, you win some, you lose some etc. etc. Choosing to add in the bit about being hit on and saying no thanks doesn't quite fit right with the rest of that segment imo. That's why it felt like more of a purposeful point to me.

I've not read the chapter, but that "mutual interests" as the only thing put on the table made me actually think that he was saying how avoiding being vulnerable does not create connections?
Like, if you want to make friends but only want to talk about your shared interest in Lord of The Rings, you're not allowing them to know you outside of it.
I've personally experienced people saying that I keep putting up a wall because there are environments where I actually know that I am not there "to make friends" but to fangirl all together about somethings - like we do here at IDB! I bet those of who have been here for a while know that there is a difference between just talking about DnP and then developing a relationship once DnP becomes a secondary topic to mutual investment in knowing the person behind that interest!
shan
morning quiff

Levitating wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:49 am
shan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:59 am

I've not read the chapter, but that "mutual interests" as the only thing put on the table made me actually think that he was saying how avoiding being vulnerable does not create connections?
Like, if you want to make friends but only want to talk about your shared interest in Lord of The Rings, you're not allowing them to know you outside of it.
I've personally experienced people saying that I keep putting up a wall because there are environments where I actually know that I am not there "to make friends" but to fangirl all together about somethings - like we do here at IDB! I bet those of who have been here for a while know that there is a difference between just talking about DnP and then developing a relationship once DnP becomes a secondary topic to mutual investment in knowing the person behind that interest!
This might depend on how outgoing you are and your stage of life. When you're in school or work in an environment surrounded by people, a lot of the time friendships develop out of convenience so there's not the same need to have a common interest to make an initial connection.

Making friendships outside of these areas, however, is usually all about mutual interests. Otherwise, how will you ever come across them? I made a very good friend last year talking about animal crossing on reddit. I felt very vulnerable reaching out and saying 'hey, I've really enjoyed talking to you and I'd love to hang out if you're interested'. Maybe this is something that comes easily to people who are outgoing, but as someone who is decidedly not, it was incredibly intimidating! So I do relate very strongly with what Dan is saying here. The act of reaching out can make you feel vulnerable because people could always reject your interest. The vulnerability in terms of sharing parts of yourself with that person usually comes later.

eta: for further context, this paragraph was specifically talking about turning an acquaintance into a friend.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Phil community post! New video at 6 pm tomorrow.
Levitating
#relatable

shan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:37 pm
This might depend on how outgoing you are and your stage of life. When you're in school or work in an environment surrounded by people, a lot of the time friendships develop out of convenience so there's not the same need to have a common interest to make an initial connection.

Making friendships outside of these areas, however, is usually all about mutual interests. Otherwise, how will you ever come across them? I made a very good friend last year talking about animal crossing on reddit. I felt very vulnerable reaching out and saying 'hey, I've really enjoyed talking to you and I'd love to hang out if you're interested'. Maybe this is something that comes easily to people who are outgoing, but as someone who is decidedly not, it was incredibly intimidating! So I do relate very strongly with what Dan is saying here. The act of reaching out can make you feel vulnerable because people could always reject your interest. The vulnerability in terms of sharing parts of yourself with that person usually comes later.

eta: for further context, this paragraph was specifically talking about turning an acquaintance into a friend.
I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. I perhaps did not explain myself well, on the other hand.
a few figures clearly wanted to dive into something other than light conversation and were suddenly less interested when mutual interests were the only thing I spread on the table.
People were suggesting that these less interested people were perhaps flirting with him but he only wanted a friendship.
I instead was suggesting that perhaps he was not being vulnerable with them and that's why they lost interested in him as a potential friend. By being vulnerable, I mean that he was keeping the conversation's focus only on their mutual interest, without delving into personal details, which is a way to keep up wall and prevents you from truly connect with others.
Because right now you and I are invested in the conversation and probably could talk a lot about this, but we are not being personal thus there is no connection between us beyond our mutual interest (Dan). And this can happen in real life, when you share that mutual interest but then don't go for that coffee to chat about this other than the mutual interest (work/family/dreams etc) - or when you go, but you keep shutting any personal conversation because you prefer to keeping them "light".
Amiaw
interactive introvert

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:47 pm Phil community post! New video at 6 pm tomorrow.
The early upload has me convinced it’s a spon but I want to know why he’s being so mysterious about it! I’m so ready for a new Phil video though so I’ll watch it no matter what it is
shan
morning quiff

Levitating wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 pm
a few figures clearly wanted to dive into something other than light conversation and were suddenly less interested when mutual interests were the only thing I spread on the table.
People were suggesting that these less interested people were perhaps flirting with him but he only wanted a friendship.
I instead was suggesting that perhaps he was not being vulnerable with them and that's why they lost interested in him as a potential friend. By being vulnerable, I mean that he was keeping the conversation's focus only on their mutual interest, without delving into personal details, which is a way to keep up wall and prevents you from truly connect with others.
Because right now you and I are invested in the conversation and probably could talk a lot about this, but we are not being personal thus there is no connection between us beyond our mutual interest (Dan). And this can happen in real life, when you share that mutual interest but then don't go for that coffee to chat about this other than the mutual interest (work/family/dreams etc) - or when you go, but you keep shutting any personal conversation because you prefer to keeping them "light".

The way he has phrased it sounds as though people actually expressed their interest in something other than friendship and Dan had to readjust their expectations which was followed by them ghosting him. Listening to it in the audiobook especially, it definitely sounds more suggestive than people wanting more personal conversation.

Anyway, new Phil vid tomorrow! Will we finally get a kitchen reveal?! At this point I just wanna see Phil's face. Miss that dude.
laurenbacall
delia smith

i rewatched this last night and it made me sad because i so wish that phil had done a whole series of these; walking around york, manchester, maybe even bits of london. i just love listening to phil's stories. he makes even the mundane sound magic, which is such a skill

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm.... I'm sorry. Is that a bar?? On... on their bed? Is that a bed? Is that a bar to hold onto on a bed that we are seeing???
soveinco
drama llama

us: kitchen reveal maybe??
dan: BED REVEal
us: shocked pikachu face

(if it is a bed. looks like a headboard to me, anyway)
shan
morning quiff

rizzo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:56 pm I'm.... I'm sorry. Is that a bar?? On... on their bed? Is that a bed? Is that a bar to hold onto on a bed that we are seeing???
Kinky. Looking forward to the fanfic this new insight will inspire!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

shan wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:03 pm
rizzo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:56 pm I'm.... I'm sorry. Is that a bar?? On... on their bed? Is that a bed? Is that a bar to hold onto on a bed that we are seeing???
Man, all those lucky one night stands Dan brings in!!!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay real talk though, we've seen this room before (we've even seen the bar in a reflection and people thought it was a shelf or lights) and it is the room with the framed photo of Phil's family from before Dan even knew them so I feel like that should sufficiently lay to rest anyone's doubt that Dan and Phil share a bedroom.
Levitating
#relatable

shan wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:03 pm
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I want them all! <3 _ <3
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:19 pm Okay real talk though, we've seen this room before (we've even seen the bar in a reflection and people thought it was a shelf or lights) and it is the room with the framed photo of Phil's family from before Dan even knew them so I feel like that should sufficiently lay to rest anyone's doubt that Dan and Phil share a bedroom.

Can you please re-post that picture you're mentioning?
All these talks make me think that it is almost as if he wanted us to see exactly that (the bar), because the filter per se is not that annoying? Or is it just me :lol:
Levitating
#relatable

It's twenty past six; where's the video! :rainbowtears:
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Damn. You do one ritualistic dance and there Phil is in a suit. Thankfully I have an industrial sized ice pack. :oops:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Personally, not my type of video, but I hope everyone enjoys!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
liola
rankussy

That suit looks so fucking good on him I'm actually blown away by how hot he is holy shit

Also gimme that Eggo and Dunkin cereals i need them
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

fruitcriminals wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:37 pm Damn. You do one ritualistic dance and there Phil is in a suit. Thankfully I have an industrial sized ice pack. :oops:
I'm going to ignore that green shorts or pants fiasco cos ffs phil what are you doing
starsandshards
living flop

liola wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:53 pm That suit looks so fucking good on him I'm actually blown away by how hot he is holy shit
Same and then he stood up and I was like 👀 I am looking respectfully 👀

That was such a good video. He's hilarious!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I checked the site and each cereal is £6.95 so Phil spent about £56 or $75 USD on these cereals... king of shopping sprees for things he wants and can work expense.
Levitating
#relatable

I loved this one! It was so fun and chill and wholesome. And he did look very good in that suit! <3

AND THE PIG! That's where it was :rofl:

I noticed how carefully he was saying that the room he occupied while up north was "his" and not "theirs" 8-) But isn't he saying "winter" now for the fist time which makes me think that things are already being delayed a bit? He had previously said "autumn" , hadn't he
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

those who theorized cereal video were correct!
the suit looks great and the shorts had me cackling.

I really enjoyed the few anecdotes and jokes sprinkled in, there is something so funny to me about Phil sitting there reviewing cereal in a suit but also making a weed joke, talking about overhearing people banging in an alleyway and cereal character furry fan art :lol:

overall, very enjoyable viddy, I'll probably watch it a few times, I missed his face so bad.

also, I am looking forward to the golden pig being hidden around the house as a little running gag and domestic bant.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I could listen to Phil talk about almost anything, so this was a really fun vid! For someone who barely eats cereal, I really enjoy listening to people describe the weirdness of new cereals. My favorite podcast right now is The Empty Bowl, which is just two guys discussing new cereals in a calm and meditative tone. It puts me to sleep faster than anything else if I listen to it in bed :lol:
I also am enjoying the ongoing saga of Dan hiding the pig. I'm hoping he hides it under the wire balls to the left of Phil here soon.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"