Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
madzilla84
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: she/her

I’m torn. On the one hand, if editing is a chore (and it sounds like it is a bit), and it’s better for his health and enables him to put out more content, then getting an editor could be good... on the other hand, Phil is a very good editor and his editing style is very idiosyncratic and funny, and I feel like that Phil-esque feel of his videos could be lost if he isn’t editing them. I know a lot of youtubers who have editors, and inevitably the editor puts their own stamp on the finished piece (though not always, sometimes it isn’t noticeable for very basic stuff) and it becomes more collaborative. Perhaps there’s a way for it to be more seamless, and I’m sure it’s a journey to make sure the editor knows exactly what you want (and maybe Phil would still add finishing touches anyway), but it’s just interesting to think about.

There were a lot of videos on the gaming channel where people couldn’t tell whether Phil or Dan had edited it, and people even theorised sometimes that Dan might have edited some of Phil’s videos in the last couple of years - he obviously didn’t, but I guess it shows that maybe it isn’t impossible to find another editor that could replicate Phil’s style (though Dan is obviously a special case as he learned so much from Phil and worked so closely with him).
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
shan
morning quiff

I wonder if the project for later this year will effect his choice to get an editor or not? It'll be the first time he lets go of the reins for something on his own channel (I think?) so maybe seeing how that turns out will influence his decision.

I think if he found a good editor and slipped them some of his famous editing tips, it might not be too different to what we're used to. I don't know why but I've really been noticing his editing in the last few videos and he does put so much effort into the most minute details so I can imagine having someone else take over would free up a lot of time. I'm pro giving it a go and seeing what happens. It'd give him more time to work on other things, less pressure while he works out what's up health-wise, make more AP content if he wants or just straight-up chill out.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

madzilla84 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 pm I’m torn. On the one hand, if editing is a chore (and it sounds like it is a bit), and it’s better for his health and enables him to put out more content, then getting an editor could be good... on the other hand, Phil is a very good editor and his editing style is very idiosyncratic and funny, and I feel like that Phil-esque feel of his videos could be lost if he isn’t editing them. I know a lot of youtubers who have editors, and inevitably the editor puts their own stamp on the finished piece (though not always, sometimes it isn’t noticeable for very basic stuff) and it becomes more collaborative. Perhaps there’s a way for it to be more seamless, and I’m sure it’s a journey to make sure the editor knows exactly what you want (and maybe Phil would still add finishing touches anyway), but it’s just interesting to think about.

There were a lot of videos on the gaming channel where people couldn’t tell whether Phil or Dan had edited it, and people even theorised sometimes that Dan might have edited some of Phil’s videos in the last couple of years - he obviously didn’t, but I guess it shows that maybe it isn’t impossible to find another editor that could replicate Phil’s style (though Dan is obviously a special case as he learned so much from Phil and worked so closely with him).
I have honestly always been on team 'keep doing your own editing' so I get that. I think the only thing that he could have said that would have made me pause was exactly what he did... that he had medical issues going on. Because it seems like if it's been going on most of the year that maybe he's just accepting that this might be how it is indefinitely and acknowledging that the editing part is what is hindering him making more content. I do think he genuinely would rather be an every 10-14 days posted but if he's been editing this one for... a week? It kind of indicates to me that maybe he really really can't look at the computer that long without feeling sick, because it doesn't really seem like this is one that would have been a beast to edit. (Not like some of the gaming videos I'm sure were, or anything where they're traveling.)
laurenbacall
delia smith

i've watched the new video twice now, and i really feel like phil was racing through reading out/addressing those assumptions as fast as he could. i didn't feel like his head was in the video at all - he even forgot to film an ending segment
phancon
delia smith

i'm definitely team 'hire a new editor'. i understand the hesitation from people, and if you'd asked me 2 - 3 years ago i would've hated the idea, but i've seen a lot of creators over the years hire an editor and it almost always improved things - even if just in terms of how much more time and freedom it seemed to give them. and i rarely if ever noticed a significant drop or difference in any quality. most editors seem very good at replicating the youtuber's style. especially if phil chooses to give it a quick once over after the editor's done with it. as long as he hires the right editor for him, i think it could turn out really well, especially if he's having trouble and is just unhappy doing it all himself. (although if he has been having trouble with long bouts of editing, i'm surprised he hasn't just got dan to give him a hand. maybe dan's busy though. or forgotten how to edit lol)

on a totally different note, i'm intrigued by dan's new hobby and the mention of a new fish on the way. still waiting on that dog they'll surely(??) one day get though. almost wish dan would've got into dog grooming instead, heh.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

It's so interesting to me how differently people react to some vids -- I felt Phil was more genuine and present in this vid than in the last few. I absolutely loved this video. It was just such a nice balance of entertainment and the more personal. I want to watch again because there were some sections that I might want to comment on more, but I can totally understand the conflict over hiring an editor. His editing really provides another layer of personality to his videos.

Does anyone have experience on how that would work? Would you just hand over raw footage to someone and let them entirely carve it out, or would you give them an outline of some sort on how to structure the vid?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Megancita75 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:18 pm It's so interesting to me how differently people react to some vids -- I felt Phil was more genuine and present in this vid than in the last few. I absolutely loved this video. It was just such a nice balance of entertainment and the more personal. I want to watch again because there were some sections that I might want to comment on more, but I can totally understand the conflict over hiring an editor. His editing really provides another layer of personality to his videos.

Does anyone have experience on how that would work? Would you just hand over raw footage to someone and let them entirely carve it out, or would you give them an outline of some sort on how to structure the vid?
I felt like this was pretty genuine, too. He picked a good medium in which to pass on some fairly weighty information that let it not be a big 'announcement' that he's having health issues hindering his work. It wasn't a headline, it didn't trend on twitter, etc. In a different video I think it would have stood out a lot more. But to me it seems like the point of this was to a) lay the groundwork for him having an editor if his health doesn't improve, and b) inform us as to why content is more sparse right now and tell us a surface version of what he's going through.

I think he'd still maintain more of a measure of control than some people do. I can see him noting out what he wants where, and just letting someone else do the actual time consuming process of handling the footage, then him doing his pass over it after.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

The impression I got was that Phil was more himself in this video but also a bit checked out and tbh I’ve done the same thing with work when I haven’t felt the best so i’m not going to be too hard on him.

As to the editor, I really enjoy Phil’s editing style but if he was serious about getting an editor I’d be okay with it as long as Phil still wants to make videos. I don’t know if he was completely serious about it, maybe he brought it up because his fall video is being edited by someone else, or because he just wanted to talk about the editing and point out he edits his own stuff since so many people have doubts about it. I’ll be good with whatever he decides as long as the content still feels like him.

it has been difficult to readjust to one monthly download and does kind of remind me of 2019, the only difference is that when Dan was ia Phil really stepped it up with videos, stories, and liveshows so the little bit of extra time feels like more silence because now neither of them are filling that void. Not really a criticism because it’s pretty obvious now that they’re not both youtubers anymore but still a noticeable difference, especially heading into phannie season from how it’s always been.
kavat
pastel persona

I finally had the opportunity to watch it again and jot down some thoughts

- His hair is getting really long again, the Zayn curl is out in full force
- The subtle text "dan will not throw you out now" over the pig plinth footage cracked me up. Is dan stealing the pig the knew vase joke?
- How many wives has he had now? At least three in the past five years right?
- My first thought when the gay club was mentioned was the Phil in the club video, so very pleased that he used that footage
- The way he says "Dan really think I should [see a therapist]"... Why do I get the feeling this is a conversation they have weekly.
- If hiring an editor would make things easier for him, I'm 100% here for it. Or just bribe Dan to do it in exchange for... snacks
- Phil not reading indirects feels safe, thank you buddy. Nice to know
- Health talk. Glad he's talking about it even if he absolutely has no obligation too. You'd think it would make people get off his back a little but I have a feeling people will forget all about it and demand more content in about a week. It seems like he's been going to the doctors a lot with this and the glue incident, which can't have been fun for him.
- SOFA PIC. I knew they had a proper lounge room, no way that other sitting room was where they watch movies and play video games. It looks so comfy, like you'd melt right into it.
- Love that Dan keeps nerding out about aquariums many months after Norman passed. A big fish tank definitely fits into the decor style of this place!
- Phil admitting to not being a disney gay when he's been in two (2) different disney productions is kinda funny
- Nice to know the dog bullying is coming from his irl friends too
- I don't know what santa's yum nut is and at this point I'm afraid to ask
- Absolutely love his answer to the ass question. "I don't know what that says but it shouldn't say anything".
- And in all that chaos he just didn't record an outro. Classic. (or conspiracy :tinfoil: he did but referenced something he ended up cutting so it was just easier to scrap it)
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

kavat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:12 pm - If hiring an editor would make things easier for him, I'm 100% here for it. Or just bribe Dan to do it in exchange for... snacks
This had not crossed my mind at all tbh and I know Dan's busy with his own things too but it does seem like if he had the time, Dan doing some of the AP editing would work well and probably be a lot more comfortable for Phil and completely unnoticeable to us. The thought I had watching the vid is that if editing is a big struggle it might make sense for him to at least have someone do a first pass, cutting out all of the word stumbles and retakes, so the time Phil spends editing can be entirely focused on his individual preferences and flourishes that make it a Phi video.

The Dan aquascaping thing is so funny to me because once on a plane to LA before pride weekend my mom and I sat next to and chatted with this nice gay guy that spent the entire flight reading a magazine about tropical fish care. Fish gays really are a thing lol.

Other random thought I had: I don't mind the colour of the jumper, it's a nice change and feels soft but still bold which suits Phil, but I first watched the video in the evening when I had my monitor brightness/colour changer activated and it made it look a lot more like a pastel blue and I thought it looked really good. So I would like to see Phil try a pastel blue jumper.

Edit: as Kavat also mentioned, long quiff is returning and I love it a lot.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Is that animated Apple TV series that Phil just promoted on his Insta story from Wirrow? I never knew the artist's actual name, but seems like it might be.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Thought I'd make an actually nice post about Phil's video because I really loved it a lot and also I need some distraction. :thumb:

- First, he looked very good. The quiff has gotten longer again and the pastelly minty green hoodie, though imo far too warm for this time of the year, suited him very well.
- Turns out Phil was really onto something by putting the golden pig on that shiny iridescent table. It takes two items that are tacky, and balances them against each other. Which then somehow works?? It looks nice in his background.
- The secret wife thing has gotten old tbh.
- Love him for using that clip from PHIL IN THE CLUB, cause that's instantly where my mind went at that question/assumption.
- Phil never having been to a therapist is FASCINATING. Not entirely surprising though. In my mind Dan is totally The Nagging Wife trope and Guy Who Recently Discovered Therapy regarding his attempts to get Phil into therapy. And it amuses me.
- Phil doesn't check his indirects and the entire phandom breathed a sigh of relief before realizing we never use his full name anyway.
- Oh poor Phil. That seems awful and scary, and hell to go through while you're moving into a new place (which was taking forever) and your like-actual-soulmate is releasing a book and stuff. Not to mention the extra hospital trip during glue eating incident...
- Ok that lounge is kinda sexy I love it. I want the color of that sofa for my walls.
- "DAN HAS TAKEN UP THE PRETENTIOUS HOBBY OF AQUASCAPING" that was sending me even if this video had been bad it'd have been worth it for phil's loving trash talking of dan alone
- What are some of these assumptions?? Phil is only a Disney Gay whenever they hand him a cheque for sponning Disney+ or playing a singing gorilla, I thought that was obvious? Phil has no Disney Adult vibes how dare that person.
- I sometimes forget they've met a ton of celebrities while working for Radio 1, and that somehow only 1D was important enough to talk about in TABINOF.
- The way Phil looked into the camera when he said he doesn't answer the phone at all was really funny to me idk why.
- lol bless him but no offense who thought Phil was popular in school?
- He was so offended about someone thinking he's plane pleb lmao. Phil has paid for his 1st Class airplane seat and he's gonna sit his butt in it for as long as possible. As he should!
- Louise mentioning a dog seems kinda weird and random and I'd find it suspicious if not for Dan's new hobby. I think we're still in the dnp fish era.
- Santa's... Yum Nut? good god uk get it together.
- Hmm. I think current AmazingPhil is indeed pretty close to the real deal, but imo pre-II it was a lot more of persona on camera. Or at least, it was him still stuck in who he was years ago just like his haircut. I guess that doesn't necessarily count as persona? It's true that he's not a WILDLY different person on camera though, like he's not a cynical rude asshole or something.
- Phil calling out the Top/Bottom jokes and assumptions. King!
- Please do not put a monotreme up your ass. Or someone elses idk.
- That desk space looks so cramped I hate it.

About Phil possibly hiring an editor:
I'm definitely a person who feels that editing is just as much part of being a YouTuber as filming is and I do kinda side eye the often newer generation of YouTubers who seem to have never even have touched editing software. I know I'm biased because I like editing as a hobby, but some Creators treating it like it's the woooooorst kinda pissed me off and it makes me respect them less tbh. But in Phil's case is totally different. He's been editing his own stuff since before some of these new Creators were even born. He got a degree in video post-production, and I do feel like he gets some genuine enjoyment out of it or he would've hired someone years ago. Now with his health acting up and screens possibly making it worse, I think him leaving at least some of the work to an editor is a very fair trade to make and I wouldn't blame him for that at all :lilheart:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

Megancita75 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:48 pm Is that animated Apple TV series that Phil just promoted on his Insta story from Wirrow? I never knew the artist's actual name, but seems like it might be.
That’s what I thought too so I looked up the insta and it’s definitely wirrow. I didn’t follow that account so I’m not 100% sure but I think the main account name was changed to toffmazery and they made a separate wirrow account that is now private. The wirrow account links to the toffmazery one as their main account.
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Megancita75 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:48 pm Is that animated Apple TV series that Phil just promoted on his Insta story from Wirrow? I never knew the artist's actual name, but seems like it might be.
I'm thinking you're correct because it is executively produced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt who is a known friend of Wirrow's. They collaborated before on a book written by JGL and illustrated by Wirrow. If I'm not mistaken, Wirrow even works/has worked at Hit-Record, JGL's media company.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Wirrow (excuse me, Toff) posted a really sweet IG story sharing Phil's story where he talked about his best friends supporting him for years on this project. I'm really happy for that - I had honestly wondered if Bryony got them in the breakup because they've been seen with her more often, but even if that's true to some extent I know they'd still feel a lot of pride over this kind of accomplishment.

I wonder if Dan and Phil will voice any characters at any point?
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:07 am Wirrow (excuse me, Toff) posted a really sweet IG story sharing Phil's story where he talked about his best friends supporting him for years on this project. I'm really happy for that - I had honestly wondered if Bryony got them in the breakup because they've been seen with her more often, but even if that's true to some extent I know they'd still feel a lot of pride over this kind of accomplishment.

I wonder if Dan and Phil will voice any characters at any point?
Re: bolded, I think it's easy to get that impression just because that's what we've seen, but Wirrow has always been very anonymous and kept out of pictures and public posts. They could have met him once a week and we wouldn't know because they wouldn't post about it. Just another reminder that what we see is a fraction of a percent of their actual lives.

His ig story was really lovely, and there's something so sweet about Dan just being automatically included.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

My gosh Phil's health issues really sound quite bad the poor thing, constantly feeling seasick/dizzy sounds awful no wonder he hasn't been about too much.

I do hope he gets an editor tbh. He has millions of fans who have grown up with him, surely there's plenty of editors who love him and his editing style and got into youtube because of him so would be able to emulate his type of style. Not that I want him to not edit them but he's got enough going on with trying to feel better.

Loved the green jumper, he looked very cute and squish able. Also agree with the prior comment about the pig and the table, it really does work despite the fact it really shouldn't lol!

I would quite like a pic of Freja and Phil for the gram as that would be adorable, but aside from that as much as I have missed him I just hope the Dr's manage to work out what will make him better soon.
Levitating
#relatable

I've always thought that Larray's editing style must have taken inspiration from Phil's. I don't know if the TikToker edits his videos himself, but yeah, seems like like hyper-up version of Phil's.

I am so happy for Wirrow! That cartoon seems lovely and soft. I wonder how does it feel to be friends w someone publishing (is that hwo you say it?) a series with Apple itself! It's massive, isn't it?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan and Phil were apparently spotted out at a gig Saturday night - not many details on it but an anon sent ahappydnp a message, you can read it on her tumblr! I love the idea that they're getting to reinstate date nights.
kavat
pastel persona

Fancy date night it seems!

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Someone on tumblr already found the place!
Also moon face?! Dan, king of 'is that cute or is it an insult?'
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Fancy! I love that outfit on him.
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm
Also moon face?! Dan, king of 'is that cute or is it an insult?'
I’m going with cute because I think he’s referring to the expression Phil’s making which looks like the moon emoji and in my head they joked about it together.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Oh la la. Definitely a fancy date night. Look, Phil even wore something expensive rather than the usual Topman!
He looks very handsome.

Also love that even in 2021, phannies still manage to track down locations within an hour :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Levitating
#relatable

Catallena wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:47 pm Also love that even in 2021, phannies still manage to track down locations within an hour :love2:
How does this even happen? :o :o :rofl: :stan:

I've seen a lot of ads for classical music concerts in London! They have fancy tastes!
Now more than ever I see each action towards each other (Dan bringing Phil in his LGBT+ video; Phil constantly mentioning Dan's life choices as intertwined with his - i.e. fish tank -; these comments) as a more voluntary yet still subtle confirmation of their relationship, at least for those who want to see it.

They're so cute! :rainbowtears: