Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

inanerat wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:16 pm A short AND a video! We're feasting well tonight :pumpkinphil:
I don't have time for full timestamps right now but here's some highlights and thoughts:
-the glowing red eyes on the golden pig at the beginning. such a phil touch. although elliot may be helping out with some editing on shorts, the description of this vid doesn't mention anything and all of the editing touches make it feel very phil!
-i also enjoy phil's subtle rotation of things on the shelves in the background. shout out to the tiny white vase and (fake?) emf reader from spooky hotel video
-i find it interesting that he used the squid game outfit half of the video for the title. probably more relevant for clicks but 'british boy tries american halloween candy' would have a lovely nostalgic vibe
-phil disinfects the mouth piece on the blow up gun before blowing it up but puts the seemingly unpackaged masks on his face. please phil.
-"I don't really want to put a one star blower in my mouth if you know what I mean" followed by "my (now inflated) gun is a lot happier to see me" lmao
-disgusted that phil would eat candy corn marshmallows and take that as trying candy corn. absolutely not the same smh. nothing compares to a good, stale, several months old candy corn.
-phil thinking you really get such big boxes/packages of candy when you go trick or treating. no, phil, you get the mini halloween versions. although there was ONE house in my neighborhood as a kid that always gave out full size candy bars and everyone made sure to go there.
-the texture of swedish fish is in fact special and better than haribo, phil is correct.
-"(about australian red licorice) that makes me make almost demonitizable noises" phil is learning how to moan obscenely about food from dan, apparently
-Twizzlers are also best stale and fun to use as a straw. Phil did not get the full experience.
-"Do they put class A drugs in sweets?" yes, Phil, it's called sugar
-Cookies and Cream Hershey's good, standard Hershey's bad. Phil once again with the Correct candy opinions
-Laughing at Phil's choice of twinkie throwback being him saying "I've got a lot of cream in my mouth" and pointing out the quote in editing (also DITL Manchester :sob:
-Mildly offended Phil doesn't know what a tootsie roll is. He is however correct that they don't actually taste that great and are only good in my nostalgic childhood mind. The vanilla ones however are great, I would reccomend.
-Again, Phil not knowing what red hots are. Tragic that so many people in this world have not experienced the delicacy of warm applesauce with red hots.
-The key to Phil's heart is reese's. Same, Phil.
-"I doubt this is going to tickle my... grapes." That is not a better choice of word than pickle.
-For those curious, now and laters are like a tougher, milder version of a starburst.
-Laugh at the wording of "pucker packs" and face at the wank-y dip motion but no reaction at the "bit of a jaw work out" comment. Disappointed in this oversight by 2021 Phil.
-Please don't pour sour candy powder into your eyes.
-Red hots placed TRASH tier. brb unsubscribing
-I had a dream a few months ago where dnp moved to like a fancy rich suburb in the UK with nice views and a house with a yard and tree??
-I wonder when this was filmed since Phil plugs the minecraft short, which is now not the most recent/relevant one. Zero mention of the google thing so my guess is it's just something he did as like a side gig and doesn't have any sort of obligation to promo it.
-Nip is very barely visible, but it's a fair point that the material isn't great.

Ok that turned out way longer than I was planning. Enjoyed the vid, felt very quintessential Phil to me in a way.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Such classic Phil vibes! Costumes and candy chaos, what more could you ask for. I have no interest in squid game and have never tried any of the candies so I have nothing to say about their validity, I just have to trust Phil's judgement.
obvsly
#relatable

It's lovely to see phil a bit more often! But did he feel a bit tired in this video or is it just me? I hope he is well and happy. Glad to see how freely the innuendos flow though, after the obvious restraint of the think google video.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Meh. I usually enjoy his Halloween themed videos, so idk if it's just my mood but this video didn't really hit that sweet spot for me? Like it was very classic Phil stuff and that's fine, but it was done in such a boring way. I enjoyed the innuendos and I'll admit that the little Manchester DITL throwback make my heart skip a beat, but there was nothing in this video that made me genuinely enjoy watching it. In fact I think I enjoyed that Google video a lot more??
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

:eyerollpumpkin: much scary very spook :eyerollpumpkin:

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Catallena wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:22 am Meh. I usually enjoy his Halloween themed videos, so idk if it's just my mood but this video didn't really hit that sweet spot for me? Like it was very classic Phil stuff and that's fine, but it was done in such a boring way. I enjoyed the innuendos and I'll admit that the little Manchester DITL throwback make my heart skip a beat, but there was nothing in this video that made me genuinely enjoy watching it. In fact I think I enjoyed that Google video a lot more??
I'm completely with you. It felt a bit filler-y... Like he ordered the costume and then went and found some candy, because the costume alone didn't hit the 10 minute mark. It wasn't for me - I maybe chuckled at best when he pulled out the 2 face masks.

But the same applies for these shorts as well. The content's been created for him. He's just reading and chuckling? IDK, maybe I'm just a Debbie Downer, so no one listen to me.

I do appreciate that Phil is posting consistently though, despite anything he might be going through. Seeing his face is always a bright spot in my day. Certainly better than the Dan face I literally never see. :roll:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

rizzo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:07 pm
Catallena wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:22 am Meh. I usually enjoy his Halloween themed videos, so idk if it's just my mood but this video didn't really hit that sweet spot for me? Like it was very classic Phil stuff and that's fine, but it was done in such a boring way. I enjoyed the innuendos and I'll admit that the little Manchester DITL throwback make my heart skip a beat, but there was nothing in this video that made me genuinely enjoy watching it. In fact I think I enjoyed that Google video a lot more??
I'm completely with you. It felt a bit filler-y... Like he ordered the costume and then went and found some candy, because the costume alone didn't hit the 10 minute mark. It wasn't for me - I maybe chuckled at best when he pulled out the 2 face masks.

But the same applies for these shorts as well. The content's been created for him. He's just reading and chuckling? IDK, maybe I'm just a Debbie Downer, so no one listen to me.

I do appreciate that Phil is posting consistently though, despite anything he might be going through. Seeing his face is always a bright spot in my day. Certainly better than the Dan face I literally never see. :roll:
Yeah although people making whole careers out of reacting to stuff these days, so I can't blame him and I kinda expected it to be like that. It's a bit of additional audience interaction which is at least something. Phil isn't used to making short form video content and it shows, he can't even recycle shit from Insta or TikTok like all the other YouTubers.

Meanwhile haven't heard from Dan in over 2 weeks which at this point kinda just feels like part of life :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
interruptfireworks
delia smith

rizzo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:07 pm

i mostly just lurk here so i feel weird contributing but hi

what's funny is that i don't feel the same about the squid game video but i absolutely agree on the shorts.

before i clicked on the video i was worried because it reminded me of those videos i'm pretty sure youtubers do to pander to a younger audience and a quick buck through trends - like all those among us or toy youtubers for example (which is fine but just not for me. also let's be real, it probably was for a quick buck but it didn't feel as obvious which is partly why i enjoyed it). it's actually probably the most i've enjoyed a phil video in ages. the way it jumped from one section to another reminded me of phil's more sit down vloggy type videos he did around when i started watching him in 2014.

once again, totally agree about the shorts though. whenever i watch them i kind of just feel that they're pointless and it became even more evident with these horror story ones. he didn't contribute anything that new, just a few shocked expressions or laughs to content other people made and it's not like it was an actual reaction video so i didn't know what to make of it. if i wanted people's quirky scary stories i could probably do a quick twitter or google search tbh.

i really don't know the point of these shorts because he privated/unlisted so many lessamazingphil videos for this but these shorts are so different from the content he previously did on that channel so i feel like it would do more harm than good in that regard by possibly alienating people who are subscribed to lessamazingphil but don't keep up with him that much anymore. it'd be confusing seeing it in their subscriptions as it's not what they signed up for and they would've likely forgotten about the channel too. also, people aren't likely to check out his 2nd channel. non-viewers, i'm 99% sure, are only gonna be familiar with the amazingphil channel so why not do the shorts on there as it's likely to have a bigger reach, especially when his views/subscribers have kind of either stagnated or dropped (you can argue for those not being important but when it's his profession and main source of income they kind of are) and this can help gain a bigger audience. the whole thing leaves me feeling like a big question mark.

i'm gonna stop there, sorry if that was sort of long. i've been having lots of thoughts about it haha.
Levitating
#relatable

interruptfireworks wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:15 amwhy not do the shorts on there as it's likely to have a bigger reach, especially when his views/subscribers have kind of either stagnated or dropped
I wonder if there's some kind of contract Phil has signed with Google for these shorts? I've just seen Ed Sheeran doing one, which made me thought: perhaps Youtube is trying to get its place among short-video-apps like TikTok & IG because they are all the rage now. So they've enlisted Ed and other people like Phil (and other more) to promote it.

A total switch from full-length videos to short ones in his main channel may feel a bit dangerous perhaps in terms of algorhythm? Something's just just trying for now without making it (totally) seem like he's becoming a tik-toker (which he should, as they're making the money ahah!)

I enjoyed the costume review anyways - and would have loved for more Dan content in it :D :D
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Levitating wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:12 pm
I wonder if there's some kind of contract Phil has signed with Google for these shorts? I've just seen Ed Sheeran doing one, which made me thought: perhaps Youtube is trying to get its place among short-video-apps like TikTok & IG because they are all the rage now. So they've enlisted Ed and other people like Phil (and other more) to promote it.
It’s clear that YouTube asked its creators to use the feature and I remember reading somewhere that if creators refused, they’d risk of not being favored by the ~algorithm, meaning that their videos wouldn’t get recommended to people. I’ve seen quite a few youtubers doing them, so I am not surprised that Phil is doing them too.

Anyway, it’s also clear that Phil couldn’t care less, the horror stories in particular have been such an underwhelming series so far and I really don’t get the point because he just reads out some stories and the reactions he gives are so forced (if I think about how we used to get gaming videos everyday for spooky week and now we get this.. oh boy). Too bad because the bleep short was well received, so the potential for something decent was there. I wonder how long the use of that feature will last, since Phil doesn’t seem too excited about it.
What I really don’t understand is why he felt the need to unlist those old lessamazingphil videos because he could’ve easily posted the shorts on there without taking down his older content. I don’t believe for a second that he did because “potential brand new AP viewers would be put off by it” mostly because chances are that people who don’t know him would definitely be more interested in a low quality chill liveshow rather than a 1 min long short in which he explains why it’s awkward to be a youtuber.

Didn’t watch his new video because I simply don’t care enough to click on it, it’s a shame because I quite enjoyed the catfish one but I accepted that it’s a bit of hit or miss when it comes to his videos nowadays. As for Dan.. well, I’d say that I would like to know what he’s up to but since I fear that he’s drafting a tweet about a monster daddy or something horny for halloween, I’ll say that I am quite enjoying this peace.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 pm
LAshleigh wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:29 pm I will take any reason to see Phil, but I am also supremely confused by who this series is for. Is there a large overlap between people who want to know about Smart Bidding and people who want to see Phil carve a pumpkin? Kudos if you fall into both groups but I definitely skipped the informational part haha
this is content directly specifically at rizzo and lia :rofl:
Showing up after days to say, yep, that's definitely for me lmao
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
interruptfireworks
delia smith

interruptfireworks wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:15 amwhy not do the shorts on there as it's likely to have a bigger reach, especially when his views/subscribers have kind of either stagnated or dropped

A total switch from full-length videos to short ones in his main channel may feel a bit dangerous perhaps in terms of algorhythm? Something's just just trying for now without making it (totally) seem like he's becoming a tik-toker (which he should, as they're making the money ahah!)

I enjoyed the costume review anyways - and would have loved for more Dan content in it :D :D
perhaps! that probably is the case.

speaking of tiktok, when he first announced he was doing shorts i was confused because i thought "well, why not just join tiktok?" seeing as it's all the rage now and his account would easily get big as quite a few tiktoks reminiscing about dan and phil go semi-viral on there, he could totally ride on the nostalgia wave and do well both content and success wise. i'm not familiar with shorts and much prefer tiktok lmao.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I liked the squid video, the costume was funny, 10/10 to the sellers for their cheeky attempt especially with the mask. Also, candy reviews, classic Phil. It was cute. I’m liking the spooky story shorts too. Never get chosen, darn.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

interruptfireworks wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:24 pm

perhaps! that probably is the case.

speaking of tiktok, when he first announced he was doing shorts i was confused because i thought "well, why not just join tiktok?" seeing as it's all the rage now and his account would easily get big as quite a few tiktoks reminiscing about dan and phil go semi-viral on there, he could totally ride on the nostalgia wave and do well both content and success wise. i'm not familiar with shorts and much prefer tiktok lmao.
I was in the room when that man said 'NO' with his whole chest after he was asked about whether he'd join TikTok during Vidcon London 2020, and I guess he doesn't wanna go back on that lol. But obviously, some ~things have happened since February 2020 and even I see that TikTok isn't just that weird app the youths are doing stupid dances on anymore. :shrug:

I'd have to go back to the panel footage to see what reason he gave for not joining, but I think he's generally just uncomfortable with newer platforms unless they're paying him. DnP never joined in on the Snapchat craze either, they were hilariously late to Instagram Stories, and they aren't doing Twitch either. But honestly their social media presence in general is ridiculous for two people whose job is (or was in Dan's case I guess) based on the internet. We get like one tweet in a week if they're feeling generous, sometimes with some additional replies to a lucky few. The days where they used Tumblr like a regular user would are long over as well. Dan had a phase where he'd queue a ton of things around announcements like merch drops but he doesn't even do that anymore. Phil just uses it to promo videos and occasionally reblog art and gifs.

Their continued popularity (even obviously nowhere near what it was) is nothing short of a miracle considering they're probably the nightmare of any social media strategist.

Anyway, more short horror stories! :spoopy: :pumpkinphil:

Wonder what we'll get now that this 'series' is over. I am once again requesting a Beeps 2: Dan Edition.

Speaking of Dan, is he gonna let Halloween go by without any sign of life? :dead:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Those were so good (come on, Phil, my cat one was spooky, oh well).
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Since it hasn't been posted yet and I think he looks so lovely as a pumpkin:

He posted the same pic on Twitter. Still no sign of Dan, I think that man is dead 4 real. Very spooky.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

My impression of the shorts is that he's being paid a good amount of money to post them (a la Stereo, Rize etc.) and he'll make them for as long as his contract requires and not a second longer. I think deleting the lessamazingphil videos was less about expecting a large influx of new viewers from the shorts and more a convenient excuse to private some videos he wasn't keen on having out there anymore.

I don't mind the shorts as additional Phil content we wouldn't normally get. The horror stories were fun for the first two days but the last two were a bit too samey that I found myself zoning out on a 1 minute clip. What I found most interesting is that he edited these halloween shorts and main channel video himself. I was half expecting his last video to be a trial editing run for Elliot of a full length AP vid. Maybe these were all filmed too last minute?

For the halloween video, I was also a bit underwhelmed. I don't know if it's because I have no frame of reference for the lollies he was trying since I'm not from the US but it was still nice to see his face!
brq
phillion/danosaur <//3

Hey - for those interested, the results for the 2021 Dan and Phil survey were posted today :) You can view the tumblr post here: https://t.co/KRhBxUZHwG
:prideheart2:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The next Peak Check-In video was added to the playlist, though is currently still unlisted. And it is DELIGHTFUL. Phil's chemistry with this guy is great and I really enjoyed watching this. (Though obvs I skipped the boring business part in the middle.)

Philena
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:30 am The next Peak Check-In video was added to the playlist, though is currently still unlisted. And it is DELIGHTFUL. Phil's chemistry with this guy is great and I really enjoyed watching this. (Though obvs I skipped the boring business part in the middle.)

Thanks for posting this! I kept seeing the funny clips pop up on my feed but couldn't find the video anywhere.

Phil is definitely adorably awkward, but Harold was able to smoothly work his way in and get Phil to be more comfortable and playful. He even did a better job at shouting out the cooking video maker at the end. Very cute! His personality reminded me a bit of Jimmy.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Did Phil put something into his contract about only working with the cutest men at Google HQ? Get it Phil!

Phil apparently not knowing how to chop garlic ALARMED me like damn their food must taste like cardboard. Also had a good pained laugh at 'how do you upload THAT often'.
btw happy :blowingleaves: crispy leaf :blowingleaves: month! Phil is gonna drop his mystery project ~soon.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
clownari
not a first-time poster

phil’s newest follow on instagram omg.. i hope it’s not an accidental follow because i will be so happy if he gets a tattoo
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:30 am The next Peak Check-In video was added to the playlist, though is currently still unlisted. And it is DELIGHTFUL. Phil's chemistry with this guy is great and I really enjoyed watching this. (Though obvs I skipped the boring business part in the middle.)

I'm loving these videos, it makes me so happy that Google is giving Phil this opportunity when these kinds of things usually seem to get offered to Dan. Phil is just as capable and hopefully this'll help him get some more mainstream offers than an on the down low business series. Once he's past the scripted intro he's so good at hosting the YouTube video-style activities. As much as I love solo Phil content, I always think he thrives when he's bouncing off of someone else. Harold is an absolute charmer and they were so fun to watch together. If Google wants to bring him back for the rest of the episodes I won't be mad about it!
kavat
pastel persona

I do appreciate that i can watch these videos and pass it off as work. This one was great, Harold was lovely and Phil had an A+ jumper.

I also laughed out loud at the "upload often" comment. It's all about perspective, huh.

I'm slightly appalled by Phil's cooking level. I was seriously worried about his fingers. No wonder they eat out so much (or does Dan do all the cooking?). New video idea: SortedFood teaches me how to cook.

Also I want to know everything about his "one million shots" to celebrate 1m subs.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

kavat wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:08 am New video idea: SortedFood teaches me how to cook.
Pleaseeee I need this. It's genuinely upsetting how I've been trying to manifest a DnP x Sorted video for 9 years now and never got anywhere aside from that mini collab in France. Just want Phil and Ben to go over some basic chopping and dicing techniques while making non-stop innuendos.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr