Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Seconding being happy that Phil kept his normal teeth.

I love these trivia videos but one minute is just so... short? I mean, obviously. But. I crave more sustenance than that.

I do like hearing that about psycho boyfriend. I don't really know what I thought - not that it was real but also not that it was an audition?

(Also, was this audition for the same thing that ended up tanking Bryony's youtube career?)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil gives us some more recycled content today, but it's not even the funniest part of that particular video.

Also I know this isn't by any means new, but it's really weird how they haven't talked about Hometown Showdown at all since the day that it dropped? In general the way they (or just Phil I guess) don't do any promotion for a video after upload is weird. I did always appreciate not getting spammed with HAVE YOU SEEN MY LAST VIDEO posts on social media all the time, especially because it wasn't necessary because of how strong the phandom was. And even then there used to be some promo during liveshows too, but obviously that's not a thing anymore either (happy 1 year anniversary since phil & phriends btw). But now there's nothing. It really couldn't hurt to acknowledge a video a little longer, maybe then people wouldn't move on as quickly from content and get bored again. It could also help the view count. I get that he might not care as much but it's still weird especially for a project like Hometown Showdown.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 pm (Also, was this audition for the same thing that ended up tanking Bryony's youtube career?)
Oh I don't know the story behind this, I had just assumed that she lost interest in youtube. Most of her stuff was deleted by the time I got into dnp. Would you be able to expand or do you have a link to where I could read about it if it's already been talked about?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

shan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:16 am
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 pm (Also, was this audition for the same thing that ended up tanking Bryony's youtube career?)
Oh I don't know the story behind this, I had just assumed that she lost interest in youtube. Most of her stuff was deleted by the time I got into dnp. Would you be able to expand or do you have a link to where I could read about it if it's already been talked about?
Someone that's been around longer can probably jump in with more details but the basic story as I remember/have read it is that she was kind of the first youtuber (in the UK at least) to really work with a major company and make for-profit content and her fans didn't really like it, plus the BBC really rode her hard in terms of how much they expected from her and when. The project she worked on with them was Paperlillies Makes a Zombie Movie. You can actually still see it on the BBC youtube.

She did an interview in 2013 about it, too.
Other high profile users weren't as hostile towards the idea of mixing with old media. Bryony was approached by Hat Trick Productions, which was looking to make an interactive show with BBC 3 aimed at a young audience. They came up with the idea of making a zombie movie out of small clips from individual YouTube users.

After several meetings, Bryony was offered £11,000 to do the show, the most money she had ever earned for a single job -- she took it. It was agreed that she would be the star, but the show itself would rely on her YouTube fame to acquire short homemade zombie clips, which would be strung to together to make a zombie movie out of what was now a thriving community of video bloggers.

Unfortunately, too many people were enchanted by the prospect of working for the BBC, which attracted a semi-professional interest, destroying the DIY video blogging ideal that Bryony was so passionate about. "So we had this really impressive camera guy and a guy from a really expensive editing company who all offered to do it for free because it meant they'd get their name on a BBC show. It ended up being slightly too professional at the end and it wasn't really what I, or anyone, wanted. I felt like I wasn't in control of the whole thing really."
Levitating
#relatable

Catallena wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:44 pm adorable uncle alert! :rainbowtears:
Omg that fourth person there is Dan, isn't :rainbowtears:
Levitating
#relatable

sorry for the consecutive post but I can't edit the previous here.

What do you think about Phil's face here? To me, he looks uncomfortable with being filmed - like forced to show a smiley face. He looks more natural else where and not here.
I wonder how comfortable he and Dan are in telling her 'no, we do not want to be filmed'?
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tumblr embed
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:20 am
shan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:16 am
Someone that's been around longer can probably jump in with more details but the basic story as I remember/have read it is that she was kind of the first youtuber (in the UK at least) to really work with a major company and make for-profit content and her fans didn't really like it, plus the BBC really rode her hard in terms of how much they expected from her and when. The project she worked on with them was Paperlillies Makes a Zombie Movie. You can actually still see it on the BBC youtube.

She did an interview in 2013 about it, too.
Other high profile users weren't as hostile towards the idea of mixing with old media. Bryony was approached by Hat Trick Productions, which was looking to make an interactive show with BBC 3 aimed at a young audience. They came up with the idea of making a zombie movie out of small clips from individual YouTube users.

After several meetings, Bryony was offered £11,000 to do the show, the most money she had ever earned for a single job -- she took it. It was agreed that she would be the star, but the show itself would rely on her YouTube fame to acquire short homemade zombie clips, which would be strung to together to make a zombie movie out of what was now a thriving community of video bloggers.

Unfortunately, too many people were enchanted by the prospect of working for the BBC, which attracted a semi-professional interest, destroying the DIY video blogging ideal that Bryony was so passionate about. "So we had this really impressive camera guy and a guy from a really expensive editing company who all offered to do it for free because it meant they'd get their name on a BBC show. It ended up being slightly too professional at the end and it wasn't really what I, or anyone, wanted. I felt like I wasn't in control of the whole thing really."
Interesting, thank you! It's a shame that her project was taken over and didn't go down well with the audience. It genuinely does sound like a cool idea. I definitely think you're right about Phil's video too, the timeline fits perfectly.
Levitating wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 am What do you think about Phil's face here https://pinof.tumblr.com/post/669499089 ... uncle-phil? To me, he looks uncomfortable with being filmed - like forced to show a smiley face. He looks more natural else where and not here.
I wonder how comfortable he and Dan are in telling her 'no, we do not want to be filmed'?
To me, he just looks naturally happy rather than exaggerated happy like he is in his videos. Since Dan hasn't been in any videos or photos so far I would assume they've already talked about what they are and aren't comfortable with so I don't think Phil is being included in videos unwillingly. Just my take but I don't think he looks uncomfortable at all, just softer.
scientia
phabergé

Levitating wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 am sorry for the consecutive post but I can't edit the previous here.

What do you think about Phil's face here https://pinof.tumblr.com/post/669499089 ... uncle-phil? To me, he looks uncomfortable with being filmed - like forced to show a smiley face. He looks more natural else where and not here.
If anything he looks a little emotional/overwhelmed with a tiny cute baby - in my opinion :shrug:
kavat
pastel persona

shan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:59 am
Levitating wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 am What do you think about Phil's face here https://pinof.tumblr.com/post/669499089 ... uncle-phil? To me, he looks uncomfortable with being filmed - like forced to show a smiley face. He looks more natural else where and not here.
To me, he just looks naturally happy rather than exaggerated happy like he is in his videos. Since Dan hasn't been in any videos or photos so far I would assume they've already talked about what they are and aren't comfortable with so I don't think Phil is being included in videos unwillingly. Just my take but I don't think he looks uncomfortable at all, just softer.
I agree with Shan, I think this is his relaxed and natural face rather than a youtube-thumbnail-face. He is smiling for Freja, not for us. It's a bit of a contrast from the Google videos where he's been far from natural in his expressions so it's great to see him comfortable.

It does make me miss liveshows even more. Both Dan and Phil often felt most natural during joint liveshows.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:53 am
shan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:59 am
I agree with Shan, I think this is his relaxed and natural face rather than a youtube-thumbnail-face. He is smiling for Freja, not for us. It's a bit of a contrast from the Google videos where he's been far from natural in his expressions so it's great to see him comfortable.

It does make me miss liveshows even more. Both Dan and Phil often felt most natural during joint liveshows.
Definitely this. His natural smile/voice are a bit more reserved, which really just underlines the difference in how he projects for the camera vs when he isn't. Years ago oqua did a fantastic compilation of Phil's natural voice!

shan
morning quiff

Scrolling past that gif set again I noticed that not only is he not wearing mismatched socks but he is wearing matching plain white ones! Mr. Amazing, I'm shocked.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

please we need art of phil in that... nightclub suit thing. or ​in 'shants'.

or both.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Hometown Showdown just reached a million views! I'll be honest, I didn't really know that it would and I thought if it did it would take a lot more time but... yay Dan and Phil? Now send them on more dates, please, youtube.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Interesting how the views definitely settled at around 300k last time I checked (which I frankly consider kinda bad for Joint Content, damn the phandom really is dead) and now it's at a million views. Apparently there's a ton of ads for it, which kills my vibe because I regularly grill nugu kpop groups for inflating views that way.

I had a look at AP's Socialblade stats and the view increase isn't subtle lol.

What's with the blank day before views blew up though?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Levitating
#relatable

Catallena wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:42 pm Apparently there's a ton of ads for it, which kills my vibe because I regularly grill nugu kpop groups for inflating views that way.
Hi, what does this mean?

As for Phil's face, I don't know. To me, he seemed a bit force : perhaps in not looking at Cornelia when she laughs, as if avoiding looking at the camera/her?

I am happy for those views but also sad that you people, so knowledgeable in the phandom, think that this phandom is dying. :rainbowtears:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Levitating wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:14 pm
Catallena wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:42 pm Apparently there's a ton of ads for it, which kills my vibe because I regularly grill nugu kpop groups for inflating views that way.
Hi, what does this mean?
Since an ad on YouTube is essentially just another video also uploaded on the platform, it means that whenever someone encounters that video as an ad and watches it for long enough it gets counted as a view (even though the 'viewer' never set out to watch that video). In recent years this gets used by kpop fandoms to not only promote an artist/song, but also to artificially inflate MV views, making artists seem more popular than they are. It annoys me, but it's not illegal and as long as a company or rich fan is paying the bill, YouTube doesn't care about what runs as an ad. And now they are seemingly(?) copying this method for the Hometown Showdown videos :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ooooh new Phil video on the way! His community post said it's uploading now.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I don't think the youtube red advertisements are inflating the views because the ad I've seen is basically the trailer for all 4 shows. I don't know how that would ad views to the individual videos on separate channels, and if it somehow could than there's an issue because one of the videos isn't getting its fair share because it is still under 500k.
Catallena wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:42 pm What's with the blank day before views blew up though?
That's just a socialblade thing, if you check other accounts you'll see blank days in theirs too. Views for blank days get rolled into other days and not always immediately after or as as a lump sum into one, which makes socialblade an unreliable tool if you're looking for real-time data.

To me, the 300k views seemed weird because it was stuck on that number for so long, like it got to a certain point and didn't budge at all. Also it seemed rather low based on what the other joint content brought in this year which has all been around a million views or more. I didn't expect it to necessarily get that high because it's a youtube red show and let's face it the phandom is sleepy, but the current views seem more reasonable than the 300k.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil must have really liked how well his Minecraft shorts did.

shan
morning quiff

It seems like there's a decent overlap for dnp and minecraft so I'm sure there's a lot of people who will really enjoy this video but as someone with no knowledge/interest in minecraft it didn't do much for me. I did like the joint one on the gaming channel but this one couldn't hold my interest sadly. Since there's going to be at least a second video, I hope it's uploaded before Christmas and doesn't become his one-a-month upload for January as well.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

anna_begins wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:00 pm I don't think the youtube red advertisements are inflating the views because the ad I've seen is basically the trailer for all 4 shows. I don't know how that would ad views to the individual videos on separate channels, and if it somehow could than there's an issue because one of the videos isn't getting its fair share because it is still under 500k.
Of course a couple hours after I posted this I see the dnp specific ad. So, never mind, lol.
adorally
phillion/danosaur <//3

I've never seen Minecraft aside from maybe a minute or two of looking over someone's shoulder and the first DnP vid which I barely remember...I thought this vid was so fun, one of my favs in a while actually!! I loved exploring the world and seeing Phil interact with the animals (that somehow turn ravenous in the night) and omg the flowers marking where his cave entrance was were so cute, pity it didn't work LOL.
I thought I was really not gonna like a solo-gaming vid on a solo channel but this surprised me!
:straggy: :betta: :maskup:
kavat
pastel persona

This one was not for me. The only thing I know of the game is basically from when they first played it so I have no context of if he's doing the right things or not. But hopefully it brings in the minecraft audience and that sweet sweet december adsence!
starsandshards
living flop

I loved the viddy. Many proper laugh out loud moments. I've never played Minecraft - installed it and got to a starting zone and simply quit again because I didn't "get" it LMAO so hats off to him for giving it a shot. There's just something in our 30-something brains that doesn't mesh well with it perhaps, I don't know! I'm also amused at his foray into swearing, did he say piss more times than he mentioned Dan?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’ve tried to play Minecraft before and it’s went exactly like Phil’s try so it’s definitely not the game for me! I did enjoy the video a lot though- I’ve moved on from missing dapg and would be happy with solo gaming since I live for Phil’s energy during these videos so this made me happy.

One thing I did notice is that even though the video is doing around the same view wise he almost has as many comments on this video as hometown showdown so the engagement is high. There are also a lot of requests for him to stream on Twitch so fingers crossed he pays attention