Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Must've been an expensive bauble that got smashed because Phil is harvesting some new souls for the Cactus Club.
God knows I've dropped €4,99 on dumber shit in my lifetime, but I pass.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
dumbslet
tol bean

hi all,

i've not been here in a long time but decided to look up dnp again. i'd mostly avoided dan's content post-big as i wasn't really into it (not that there was much to avoid tho) and kept up with phil's videos whenever they popped up in my subscription box.

i've been reminiscing about how good the 2014-2018 era was (rip dapg) and how fun it was; so much content and so much dumb speculation. truly some of the best years of my fandom life! i don't think any fandom really compares to this; it's far too iconic.

what do you guys think the trajectory of content will be for dan and phil? i'm not sure what phil is doing will keep up with the times (his shorts are classic phil, but i struggle to get through them sometimes even as someone who still stans phil) and dan's lack of content has always been an issue. phil's views are a quarter of what they used to be and i don't really see him expanding out that much, and the dwindling fanbase can only sustain their merch for that much longer. i know dan has allegedly got some projects behind the scenes but i wonder what phil is up to? i really enjoy phil's content and him as a person and just want to see him succeed and be happy lol. he needs to fund the puppy expenses somehow!!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

dumbslet wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:19 pm hi all,

i've not been here in a long time but decided to look up dnp again. i'd mostly avoided dan's content post-big as i wasn't really into it (not that there was much to avoid tho) and kept up with phil's videos whenever they popped up in my subscription box.

i've been reminiscing about how good the 2014-2018 era was (rip dapg) and how fun it was; so much content and so much dumb speculation. truly some of the best years of my fandom life! i don't think any fandom really compares to this; it's far too iconic.

what do you guys think the trajectory of content will be for dan and phil? i'm not sure what phil is doing will keep up with the times (his shorts are classic phil, but i struggle to get through them sometimes even as someone who still stans phil) and dan's lack of content has always been an issue. phil's views are a quarter of what they used to be and i don't really see him expanding out that much, and the dwindling fanbase can only sustain their merch for that much longer. i know dan has allegedly got some projects behind the scenes but i wonder what phil is up to? i really enjoy phil's content and him as a person and just want to see him succeed and be happy lol. he needs to fund the puppy expenses somehow!!
That era really was the peak in terms of content we got - especially 2018. I often wish I could go back and savor that final gamingmas one more time.

I think the shorts are really nice and on a week when he's posted a main channel video, I think I appreciate them more? Basically I need them to feel supplemental to his standard content and not like a replacement for it. Phil fell off his every other week posting for a bit and I'm assuming he was letting the Hometown Showdown stand as content for a while, which I guess I don't blame him for, but it's the holiday season and I just want more, you know? I genuinely don't even care if it's solo or joint content, I would be very content if we just had Phil baking some mince pies or a 'wrap with me' session (okay that's slightly a dream, I just want it!!) or even a sit down and talk video where he tells us about the kilt man and the new tree and just a little life update with a cute/funny/awkward story thrown in there. I don't think his content needs to change that much, it just doesn't tend to be content that sticks in our brains so we really get antsy after he's passed the ten day mark.

In terms of if this content will sustain - yeah, it definitely will. I follow youtubers who get a fraction of the views that Phil still gets and they make enough to live on the money easily. Phil gets the most choice of brand deals - seriously, in the past year he's had spons from Disney and Square Enix, plus NordVPN, Stereo, and worked directly to make content for Youtube twice. That Disney spon alone probably pays a stupid amount of money. His videos are never demonetized, he hasn't been in any drama since like 2014, and he gets good engagement so I think he's still a sponsor's dream. Go on, boys, buy that puppy the good food, you can afford it. (Oh my god just had the idea that with that polaroid camera they have sitting out they could take so many cute puppy polaroids.)

Also did youtube pay him to promote memberships in that ig story he just did? Because I've never seen anyone else #ad their own memberships. Or maybe Phil is just overly cautious and wants to tag anything he might possibly need to in order to keep that drama free streak going.

I also think selling their own merch directly means they get a much bigger chunk of the profits than going through another company would, even though I'd also love to see some overhaul happen with IRL Merch. If I could wish any video into existence it would be Phil running through what it's like to own and operate a merch company the way Hank Green sometimes does.
shan
morning quiff

I feel kinda weird about Phil promoting the cactus club. As much as I love him, he hasn't done a very good job of following through on the rewards listed for membership. We get the occasional membership post, these have been more frequent recently but I remember some pretty long stints where we got none. The merch discounts he mentioned in the insta story have been almost non-existent, I could count the number of discount codes he's posted for members since his channel membership started on one hand and still have fingers left over. Also some of these discount codes (or at least the most recent one for the couch club set) ended up being irrelevant as almost the entire store went on sale for everyone.

It sounds like he's going to try and take it more seriously next year with the comment videos and the recent increase in members posts so hopefully he makes good on his promises this time. For the moment I'll continue to throw money at him monthly because his content brings me a lot of joy but this ad made me feel a little icky since his current members have mostly been left by the wayside for the last three years.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’ve always felt the same about the membership- I pay for it to support him but don’t expect anything from it. It’s always been optional and nobody gatekeeps, even the member shoutouts were shared, so subscribe if you want but in no way is Phil making it mandatory to get exclusive content.

As far as viewers I agree with Mandy. There are many much smaller channels that get nice brand deals and keep afloat so I wouldn’t worry about Phil and I’m eagerly waiting for some of the twitter fanbase to fall off for something more popular so the phandom can be more enjoyable.
shan
morning quiff

I have a membership for the same reason but this ad made me uncomfy specifically because he was mentioning benefits that have been very sparsely provided as a selling point.
kavat
pastel persona

dumbslet wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:19 pm hi all,

I think they are in a stage of their career when they can afford to take a step back. They've made enough money and have enough passive income that they don't need to be working themselves to the bone anymore. I think working so hard as they did 2014-2018 really took a toll on them both (Phil talked a bit about this in DML2) and it wouldn't be healthy for them to continue at the same pace forever.

Considering Phil's health issues as well, I fully understand that he's taking it more slowly and not saying yes to everything that lands in his inbox. He can afford to only take the top tier brand deals, the fun projects like the Google thing, and only make videos when he feels like it.

As for Dan, who the fck knows what's going on, but I do believe he has projects that got delayed and/or cancelled. I also think he's enjoying tending to the house and nerding out with his new aquascaping hobby. But he talked years ago about how he wanted to do bigger and better things, so if he retires his youtube career to make more mainstream media things I will not complain.

Burnout in your 20's and 30's is way too common and I truly respect when people know when to set boundaries and slow down.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

yw for the pain and feelings
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:11 pm yw for the pain and feelings
I will never be over dan's comment about phil's secret message :rainbowtears:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Nevermind the 2014-2018 era, I'd already be quite happy with the amount of content we got during the first half of this year again. From Stereo shows to a secret message... it was just really neat.

:happytears:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil creating nightmare fuel in one of his best Shorts yet.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Someone made a cute Instagram Philter with Lion :lilheart:
Also yay for pics of pets on the blanket!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil is engaging so much with us and I enjoy it.

What I don't enjoy is that I got my first of two orders from the merch sale in (one from the UK, one from US after they fixed the shipping "glitch") and some of the items were packaged badly, while another just wasn't what I expected. The box my candle in was crunched completely. Like someone stepped on this thing. The top wouldn't even close, it was that warped. Luckily the candle inside was actually fine - I think the Ohros packaging lends to that, they're small lidded jars without a lot of excess space. If for example Dan's candle or Phil's Aquarius one had come like that I think the container would definitely have cracked.

My other big complaint was with the journal. It's just... small. As in, thin. I counted and I think there's about fifty pages in it. If you wanted to use it for daily planning, it'll maybe last you two months if you don't include weekends. Is this normal for a planner that costs what his does? I use a daily calendar type one instead (Phil's, actually; legit my favorite thing he ever put out and I stocked up during the sale) and I'm use to them being 52 weeks.

Aside from that the journal quality is fantastic, I have no complaints there. The box it came in had some weird staining on the inside but it wasn't reflected on the journal at all so that must have happened and dried before the book ever touched it. The candle also smells exactly what I thought it would smell like. Ohros really does miss, if you like candy and sweet scented things you'll love it.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

very on brand. congrats to him.

@ dutch government fucking give me my fucking booster you fuck ups
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

dan!!! has a face!!! and it's a cute one :(
kavat
pastel persona

1. Those are fancy stairs but it's so funny to me how they refuse to show a new inch of the house
2. It looks like he recently got a haircut, and not from Phil
3. Is that a shadow of a mustache? Not into it
4. I'm very jealous of the booster shot, I wont be able to get it for months.
kavat
pastel persona

Just because I complained he posted a bowl of moss, love that for me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Final Google video! I'm sad we won't get his face weekly anymore. :( But I do think this is the most fun I had watching any of the videos.

Levitating
#relatable

are those llamas and lions in his jumper? ahah

as a partner, I would be so proud of seeing my other half doing what they link to do with such a big brand. which I think is what Dan must be feeling! <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil has been spitting out the shorts daily for the last few days, even did a little contest that I think was just an excuse to hype the store? But the winner got a candle so that's still cool.

I want a video, though.
Levitating wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:58 pm are those llamas and lions in his jumper? ahah

as a partner, I would be so proud of seeing my other half doing what they link to do with such a big brand. which I think is what Dan must be feeling! <3
Yeah it's a jumper they sold!! So he's wearing his and Dan's merch, lmao. (I have and love it, though. I'm sad it hasn't been cold enough yet this year here to wear it.)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I hope we still get a nice festive video from Phil this week before Christmas.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Catallena wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:31 pm Image

Agreed. I think it's a little funny how he made a whole series of videos with Google about how this time of year is peak season for ad revenue, but he's only put out one video in December.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

onceinaugust wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:15 pm
Catallena wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:31 pm Image

Agreed. I think it's a little funny how he made a whole series of videos with Google about how this time of year is peak season for ad revenue, but he's only put out one video in December.
Don't need that December AdSense money if you're getting coins straight from the Google overlords themselves for hosting a series about the subject :lol:

He also still hasn't said a thing about him even being in those videos.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

AmazingPhil wrote:NEW VIDEO TOMORROW!
(with a special guest)
(it is a sequel)
(it is thicc)
✨✨✨
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:31 pm
AmazingPhil wrote:NEW VIDEO TOMORROW!
(with a special guest)
(it is a sequel)
(it is thicc)
✨✨✨
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Do we think he took PJ up on the offer to help him with Minecraft? I thought he might go more festive, but the last Christmas video he made was the Bob Ross painting tutorial.
Is it too much to hope that it's another Mukbang? :tinfoil:
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"