Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
phancon
delia smith

rizzo wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:32 pm but if so - we also know that martyn was gone for a bit, leaving corn and freja in london. and that kath had phil over early on at least the 22nd. SO -- perhaps the lesters all celebrated together early and then phil returned to hang with dan and fam in london and martyn returned to cornelia for the 25th??

:sherlock:
that sounds plausible to me. it's possible cornelia, martyn and freja also went over to dan and phil's on xmas day (although with omicron making larger gatherings more dangerous... maybe not)
oriharakaoru
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her

phancon wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:26 pm
rizzo wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:32 pm but if so - we also know that martyn was gone for a bit, leaving corn and freja in london. and that kath had phil over early on at least the 22nd. SO -- perhaps the lesters all celebrated together early and then phil returned to hang with dan and fam in london and martyn returned to cornelia for the 25th??

:sherlock:
that sounds plausible to me. it's possible cornelia, martyn and freja also went over to dan and phil's on xmas day (although with omicron making larger gatherings more dangerous... maybe not)
i would have believed~ if it hadn't been for cornelia's instagram pics today lol. looks like they were on iom for christmas day. the timing seems a bit weird, because she posted those "christmas eve" pics at their london apartment and then the "christmas day" pics on iom, which seems logistically hectic(?) but plausible i guess! looks like martyn being away earlier last week was unrelated to christmas travel.

i do agree though that the colin selfie looks like it was in the forever home. which either means dan hosted christmas for his family by himself (which, I guess is possible!) or maaaaybe dnp hosted dan's family for a pre-holiday get-together maybe earlier last week (before the 22nd) and then dan maaaybe went with phil to iom. plausible either way! i am excepting fics of either scenario. :p
Levitating
#relatable

I am rewatching the last video because I missed so much.
Two things caught me eye: "totally my other 'favourite thing'" written in the corner - AH! And the idea that Dan could have enrolled in university? He seems always so informed/almost academic in some sociological terms and online university is pretty common here. I feel he's someone who regrets not having done uni - for the knowledge, rather than financial opportunity.
dontpanic
#relatable

Levitating wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:49 am also, is it normal in the USA for long time partner to separate for Christmas? I find it strange!
at least from what I personally have noticed, once you have kids you always do joint, but otherwise some couples do seperate family visits depending on their situation (like, maybe a quarter of long-term partners? I'm just going off what I've noticed tho.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

dontpanic wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:47 am
Levitating wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:49 am also, is it normal in the USA for long time partner to separate for Christmas? I find it strange!
at least from what I personally have noticed, once you have kids you always do joint, but otherwise some couples do seperate family visits depending on their situation (like, maybe a quarter of long-term partners? I'm just going off what I've noticed tho.)
Yeah, most couples I know - especially ones in their thirties or younger, with very distanced families - will have their own holiday a few days beforehand (or a few days after) then also go to their individual families to enjoy those traditions. It's only when there are kids in the picture that the celebrations being on a specific day or with specific people really matters.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay people around tumblr are posting their predictions, so let's get in on this. What do we think/expect/hope from Dan and Phil in 2022?
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

The one thing I don't expect is a wedding announcement!

:2022:

(Why yes, the code for that emoji is "2022".)
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
shan
morning quiff

I’m cautiously optimistic we’ll get some Dan content again after he acknowledged he can’t keep waiting for his other projects to pull through. I’d love if that also meant more regular joint content! I also hope Phil gets even more opportunities for bigger projects, especially if they’re any of the ideas he’s been trying to pitch. I would love a game show hosted by Phil!
casualsun
delia smith

I’m expecting another thing in the vein of Gay and Not Proud from Dan — something that is more of a “production” than his classic videos. A bit more joint content but a lot less than we got in 2021 (all the stereo shows, CAH, haircut, etc.). And I really really hope some of Phil’s projects finally come to fruition, but who knows.
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

-Dan will be on the Internet just a little bit more, and I do think he'll release at least one video or do a liveshow
-Phil will be more of the same goodness but we see his content begin to mature just a little
-Phil will catch the big "O" and Dan will be taking care of him.
-Phil (and Dan) will find out (t)he(y) will be (an) uncle(s) x2 near the end of the year.
-More joint content, but with the views they got from it this year, it won't be any more than this year; maybe even less.
-They'll travel more and take more travel risks
-At least 2 extremely cute Instagram stories.
- Another sequel to a popular video.
-No nods to 2022, unless on April Fools Day.
-Continuing with merch
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:38 pm Okay people around tumblr are posting their predictions, so let's get in on this. What do we think/expect/hope from Dan and Phil in 2022?
I'm kinda stumped on what we might see from them career wise in 2022. I feel like we will see more of Dan but not right away and when we do it will be something like a podcast. As far as Phil goes, I don't know, probably just more of the same?

Personal stuff:
~I think Dan will finish the fish tank and we'll see Norman 2.0
~Dog. Since Dan's tour plans are on hold indefinitely due to covid it seem like the perfect time to finally commit to a doggo.
~I'm hoping this is the year Phil is able to find a hobby that interests him. Based on his Draw My Life 2 it seems like something he wants but it doesn't seem like it's happened yet.
~Speaking of hobbies I feel like Dan might start to get into cooking. I know, I know... this is the guy who bought a cabbage instead of lettuce and didn't know to put water in with the pasta but a shiny new kitchen with fancy gadgets might tempt him to learn. Maybe we'll get a few insta stories about it or an anecdote or something.
kavat
pastel persona

Last night I dreamt I met dnp while filming for their travel show, sadly I don't think the world is ready for it yet.

My predictions
- A new fish definitely seems to be in the plans
- Dog as well, maybe they announce it on April Fools like the little shits they are
- We will see more of Phil's videos edited by Elliot
- Phil will announce a graphic novel, maybe choose you adventure-style, together with the artist that designed the flower-robot-hoodie
- Announcement of another book from Dan, mostly because I think that book contracts often have a multiple book deal (I think that's purely why DAPGO happened). Maybe fiction?
- If the UK get's its shit together maybe a very belated national YWGTTN tour in the fall
- People who have left the phandom will come back just to be obnoxious about 2022 and cause ~drama~
- Please. My heart needs a Dan + Phil + Freja picture. Make it happen, universe.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

okay, after thinking about it, here are mine:

Phil:
- Phil will find a way to do liveshows for another dedicated amount of time
- Phil will either start Twitch as a liveshow format or join in more of his friends Twitch streams
- at least one non-youtube project

Dan:
- Another youtube project that results in a video but isn't a normal Dan video
- Shows up on a tech panel that makes everyone go wtf?
- Makes a statement shading NFT, signaling the beginning of the Lester Family Wars
- Either announces a tour that was meant to be the book tour or confirms it was supposed to happen, but covid

Dan and Phil:
- Joke about wedding or engagement that makes people still somehow doubt their relationship
- DOG!!! dog
- Fish. Or at least very ornate tank
- Minimum of four joint videos spread over the year

Unrealistic but let's manifest it anyway:
- Genuine tweet from Dan about being engaged or referencing Phil as his husband/partner/etc
- Arms around each other joint selfie
- Picture of the two of them with Freja on her second birthday (or Phil's birthday)
casualsun
delia smith

kavat wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:42 am Last night I dreamt I met dnp while filming for their travel show, sadly I don't think the world is ready for it yet.

My predictions
- A new fish definitely seems to be in the plans
- Dog as well, maybe they announce it on April Fools like the little shits they are
- We will see more of Phil's videos edited by Elliot
- Phil will announce a graphic novel, maybe choose you adventure-style, together with the artist that designed the flower-robot-hoodie
- Announcement of another book from Dan, mostly because I think that book contracts often have a multiple book deal (I think that's purely why DAPGO happened). Maybe fiction?
- If the UK get's its shit together maybe a very belated national YWGTTN tour in the fall
- People who have left the phandom will come back just to be obnoxious about 2022 and cause ~drama~
- Please. My heart needs a Dan + Phil + Freja picture. Make it happen, universe.
I dream of a travel show from them. It would be so amazing.

Also I totally see Phil releasing a graphic novel! That would be very up his alley.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

My predictions:
Phil- another viewers pick my outfits video where he clearly hates everything but says "oooh I kind of like this."
-goes one entire month without uploading a video
-Abandons YouTube shorts by March
-Does two videos where Dan comments from off screen

Dan- makes a horny tweet so bad I finally unfollow him on Twitter (and that New Years one was close)
-releases 2 videos on YouTube, both over twenty minutes long
-instagrams a picture of his ass at some point... Don't know why, just feeling it after that robe picture this year.

Joint content
-Only one true joint video this year, but several Phil videos that feel like joint content.
-New fish in February, dog in September.
-Dan snarkily reply tweets someone who @s them both about a 2022 wedding in a way that starts a ton of in-fighting among the twitter phandom.
What can I say, I'm a pessimist lmao.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Underwhelming show from the boys last night. I was really hoping for some instagram content but this is what we got:
Also the number of 2022 wedding comments underneath... no people please. Let's not.
Levitating
#relatable

I am not sure what branch of what field would study this, but to me it's a sort of a big magic and sociological thing the fact that so-many-years-ago someone, somewhere on Youtube, said something about these two and all these years later there is still a faithful bunch of fans who refer to that as it was something that defined an era.

Don't know! It makes me giggle.
I hope though (I'm still to read the tweets) that they all take it lightheartedly and that DnP are not upset by it?
I wonder if they've talked about it. What kind of pressure does it create? Does it, at all?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The artists have been busy, Phanzine just dropped - 132 pages of history, art and a few fics
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Apparently Phil's spotify account got verified some time recently and people are using that info to manifest a podcast, which I am absolutely a-ok with.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I would absolutely be down to clown were it not for the fact his twitch account was also verified 2 years ago and nothing came of that (...yet?). But man, a podcast would be so great.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
literally_formless
butt chair

Hi all, this is my first post! I fell down the rabbit hole of Dan and Phil earlier this year, and I've been lurking here for a while. I really appreciate the fact that this forum exists and I can catch up (as much as that's possible) on this much history. I love a fandom with memory.

I'm older than Phil and when they were at their peak of popularity, I really had my head down at work, but I'm almost glad I discovered them now, when they've come out and are piecing together who they'll be as creators and people in this phase of life. I figured out a few years ago that I'm asexual, and it's been a really slow process to accept and even come out to some people. It stresses me out to think how being closeted for so long affected both Dan and Phil, and how then COVID shut down what they must have been long planning to do with this new openness. Just one of the million things COVID has changed.

I'm really fascinated by how Phil seems to be leaning into like a wide-eyed bumblingness even more than he did when he was younger. He's obviously a smart, creative, and competent man - I hope he shows more of that at some point. Like in his floatation tank video and the pigeon rescue video - him DOING something out in the world, like a real person, he can show being silly, being excited, being startled - but not so much like "I can't turn on a blender."

I'm excited Dan might have some new stuff coming in the new year, and would LOVE a podcast. I don't even know how many times I've listened to the Stereo shows. I'm happy to be here and join in some conversations.
Levitating
#relatable

Hi! Welcome <3 Congrats on figuring yourself!
New people here give me hope on the phandom not dying, ahah!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Welcome literally_formless.

Re: Phil and his bumbling persona. I do agree with you somewhat on this -- he does seem to be leaning into what I think is a legit personality trait and exaggerating it. I can see this being sort of strategic -- like, here is a thing that is funny that maybe I can play up. But I suppose I have the same reaction to it that I do to Dan's self-deprecating humor: I am fine with it up to an extent, but then to me personally it verges into the territory of almost being mean to yourself (which I recognize is me projecting my own reaction; they might be perfectly secure in these aspects of themselves). To be clear, this isn't shade -- I appreciate how difficult it must be to try new things professionally in a public way while also trying to figure out what parts of your personality to bring forth. I also think some of the loudest audience voices reinforce the idea that people like the clown or edge-lord personas, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of that. Like, when Phil said in the texting video that people have missed Dan's sarcasm, I was like "No, Phil, not me! Give me sarcasm-free Dan!" Which, of course, is just reflective of having an audience who isn't a monolith and who is going to want and like different things from you.

On another note, I know January is typically a time DnP lay low or take a break. I can't remember how long that normally lasts, though. Until Phil's birthday?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Happy (late) New Year everyone :love2:

I have no predictions for 2022 (other than Norman 2.0) tbh, but the first real sign of life in the new year coming from Dan would not have been on the list if I did.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
000dia000
emo goose

:newyear: Happy New Years everyone!!!! :newyear:

When I first started stanning in 2015 I felt that the whole infamous 2022 was so far away and felt so far-fetched...anyways we've all made and you know what? Phan marriage doesn't feel...impossible??

I'm glad I made it this far. I'm changed a lot in the past 7-ish years. I went from being a 17 year old fresh out of school to being a 23 year old with a masters degree and a grown adult job! So I really feel like I became a real person and I have dan and phil to thank for that. They've consistently remained quite decent people (if not consistent with uploads) and I always could relate to them and use them as a source of inspiration as well as comfort. Basically, I'm happy I made it to 2022 and I'm glad to see people I've known for so long on IDB still knocking about :rainbowtears:

Anyways, to bring back the original question:

"In 2022 who was best man at Dan and Phil's wedding"

The answer was a terrifying crossbreed of Chris and PJ...unfortunately I feel like they're all in different places :dead: they've all moved on, made new friends and drifted away from old friendship circles...and that's ok

otherwise, there's nobody i could officially give as a definitive answer other than martyn...shows how much dan and phil have separated their real life friendship circle from the "on screen" friendships they had with other content creators back in the day. They really are totally strange and private people (from the 2013 video) and it's fascinating
:cactus: