Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
literally_formless
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

I am so grateful to see Phil's Cactus Club updates here. He really is in a sharing mood, eh? Not that I expect it's any less carefully selected what he'll share or not share than usual ....

I was re-watching Gay And Not Proud last night, and realized how much of it I'd forgotten. I did remember, though, how much Dan referring to Phil as a demon of temptation kind of hurt me on first watching, and it gave me serious cringes again. It doesn't seem like Dan means it as hurtful, but how he talks about being with Phil as a soft comfy place to forget and hide out from the world just seems ... hurtful. Reductive? Dismissive? Like spending time with Phil is juvenile. Is that how people took it when it came out?
Levitating
#relatable

that's such a nice awesome chaotic idea! ahah
giving himself presents but as if from the phandom! <3
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

phancon wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:35 pm this sounds fun!
I'm excited for this video! So many times I've seen things I think he would like but of course right now I'm drawing blanks!
literally_formless wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:38 pm I was re-watching Gay And Not Proud last night, and realized how much of it I'd forgotten. I did remember, though, how much Dan referring to Phil as a demon of temptation kind of hurt me on first watching, and it gave me serious cringes again. It doesn't seem like Dan means it as hurtful, but how he talks about being with Phil as a soft comfy place to forget and hide out from the world just seems ... hurtful. Reductive? Dismissive? Like spending time with Phil is juvenile. Is that how people took it when it came out?
I really just saw this part as Dan's version of "try new things". I didn't view it as hurtful because I don't think Phil would have participated in it if Dan was saying something that hurt him and also I don't equate "safe place" as meaning juvenile. I think it's healthy to want to break away from what's familiar because that's how you grow. To be clear I viewed this part as (mostly) dan and phil™ not dan and phil companions through life and like Phil said in his draw his life 2 vid, they feel like they've done a lot of "dan and phil" branded things and want to start moving on to some solo stuff. That's basically what Dan was saying in his Pride video, just also showing the metaphoric devil on his shoulder that tempts him to just stick to what's familiar and successful and "safe".
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil starting the year with a potential banger of a video is everything I want and need rn. Already saw plenty of filthy degenerate phannies posting links to some interesting stuff. Can't wait!

Phil has also graced us with some new Insta Stories (and I only noticed them like a day later oops). Seems like he's feeling well enough for some DDR then.

And another one where is Phil signaling that he wants a corgi for his birthday I guess.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Nice to see some January content! Let's hope this is a good sign for the year to come.

To continue to talk about it, we'll need a new thread soon. Put your thread name suggestions here for the upcoming poll. :rainbowsparkle: :prideheart2:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I absolutely LOVE this present idea. I only sent one thing in, but I also love how many responses he got. With Dan's devious mind I bet Phil is gonna get a mix of hilarious things, penis things, and one or two that he'll genuinely like. I also support the idea that Dan should sneak in a genuine present or two just to get Phil's unfiltered reaction.
kavat
pastel persona

He's back!

kavat
pastel persona

Bold of him to use that word this early into 2022.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Dan tweeting twice in one week? He's back, folks!
shan
morning quiff

On the topic of shorts, I had a video show up in my recommended this morning about how much youtubers are making from shorts and it was kind of crazy. For a short with almost 6 million views the Adsense was around $25 while another with over 2 million views got something like $0.20. The only way people are making any money from them apparently is through the incentives given as part of the shorts fund. The monetary value of the rewards are supposed to be somewhat linked to the number of views but there also doesn’t seem to be a consistent set of criteria for this either. The incentives range from $100 to $10,000 however a channel that brought in 600 million views on their short content in a month didn’t even receive the full $10,000. Someone in the comments also mentioned getting $100 from the shorts fund per video at 2 million views.

I found this really fascinating and it made me wonder where Phil fits into this program. Going by his views, he’s probably not bringing in anything at all based on Adsense (not that he’s missing out on much) but I’d be interested to know where he falls on the incentive side. It seems like he should be on the lowest end if anything but I also don’t think he’d be doing them if they weren’t bringing in a decent profit. Since it sounds like there isn’t much rhyme or reason to the reward payments, I wonder if being a google/YouTube favourite automatically puts him in a higher bracket despite not getting the views other channels may be getting? Or was he given a contract for a fixed amount of money just to upload them in the first place? The second scenario probably makes the most sense with a set number of uploads he’d need to hit but idk.

As an aside, there were a few comments on the video that mentioned their short form content uploaded as a regular video earned substantially more than videos of the same length uploaded as a short. One gave a difference of $1000 compared to literal cents. This must be coming down to the fact that there are ads at the beginning of regular videos and not shorts but it still sounds absolutely wild.

Anyway, found this interesting and thought you guys might too!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

When some of the bigger creators started using shorts I saw some tweets about how Youtube was really pushing Shorts and some people said if they wanted their videos to be promoted or pushed they felt like they had to post them. I don’t know how true that is but knowing how Youtube usually operates I can believe it so it makes sense why most of the people I subscribe to are making them.

IF Dan does start posting on his channel i’ll be interested to see if he uses shorts because he’s been off the platform for a long time and aside from making Youtube productions he hasn’t posted a regular video since 2019. I’m sure his videos will still be pushed because he’s a youtube darling but I wonder how he’ll handle his videos now that so much has changed with captions and everything else.
anna_begins

shan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:50 am [...]Or was he given a contract for a fixed amount of money just to upload them in the first place? The second scenario probably makes the most sense with a set number of uploads he’d need to hit but idk.
I've been wondering about the shorts too. I think you're right that is seems probable that Phil was offered a set amount to post a certain number of shorts rather than it being based on views because if it was views based it would make more sense for him to upload them to his main channel. The focus for his deal being more about bringing awareness to audiences as shorts as a thing rather than attempting to get a bunch of views.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Whatever the incentive may be, Phil is really churning out the Shorts this week.

Yesterday we had some very unseasoned Never Have I Evers.

Today we have a deodorant scent review, which frankly sounds horrible to me.

Potential shady reasons for pushing Shorts aside, I also think YouTube just likes working with Dan and Phil? They're loyal, uncontroversial, and while their fanbase isn't what it used to be it's still pretty dedicated. In 2021 they gave Dan the opportunity to make that Pride special, Phil got the Peak Season videos presenter gig, Hometown Showdown happened... DnP might not bring in the big numbers anymore but they obviously have maintained a very good relationship with the people at Google.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
000dia000
emo goose

Did...did he just say he considered getting a tattoo?

these are the images going through my mind right now:

(jk lol)
:cactus:
literally_formless
butt chair

Interesting news about YouTube cutting back majorly on its Originals:https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/yo ... _id=430269
YouTube is scaling down YouTube Originals, which was first created in 2016. The Google-owned company said today that moving forward, it will only be funding originals that are part of its Black Voices and YouTube Kids funds.
Moving forward, YouTube will still honor its commitment to already contracted shows in progress, Robert Kyncl, YouTube’s chief business officer, said in a company memo.
I wonder if this puts any of dnp's projects in limbo.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I found the full memo interesting:
I suppose on the one hand, a company has to respond to trends; but on the other hand, it must also be frustrating as a creator on a platform to have things added and taken away on a regular basis.

I think I'm always going to prefer long-form content over short-form content, and I did like the production value I saw in the YT originals I watched. I do think working with a crew on a production has to have been a positive for DnP, and my hope is that those experiences provided networking possibilities or at least opportunities for creative reflection that will prove fruitful in some way.
Levitating
#relatable

Omg I know that we are all familiar with that tumblr meme (is that what they call it on tumblr?) about a concert with MCR and other emo bands where Dan and Phil walk in with a rainbow flag.

Well: https://twitter.com/i/events/1483567024198459392

!!

In 2022!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I really hope he one day makes a video where he gets back in a car and takes a refresher driving course or something, it'd be hilarious.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm kind of sad he didn't reply to any tweets - I wonder if he's got something going on? Or maybe he's still just not looking at replies so as not to spoil any of the birthday presents for that video?
Kurapika

I'm watching the CAH video and thinking about how much I love and miss the Box Lads era :rainbowtears:
the candlelight by the crescent moon
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:51 pm I'm kind of sad he didn't reply to any tweets - I wonder if he's got something going on? Or maybe he's still just not looking at replies so as not to spoil any of the birthday presents for that video?
I see like 6 replies from him?
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

dizzy He did! This one was my fave:
Meanwhile, we got a new Short! Not one of his best tbh.

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Poll will go up soon. Be sure to suggest any last-minute thoughts! :woohoo: :tu:
lefthandedism wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 pm Nice to see some January content! Let's hope this is a good sign for the year to come.

To continue to talk about it, we'll need a new thread soon. Put your thread name suggestions here for the upcoming poll. :rainbowsparkle: :prideheart2:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The potential that these shorts could've had as placeholder content in between videos... Now nobody gives a shit about them anymore, and I'm not under the impression Phil does either.

Like I know plenty of YouTubers recycle short form content between platforms to reach as many people as possible, but Phil isn't even doing just taking Instagram filters and then post them on a completely different platform ONLY. Which is so fucking dumb because people aren't even getting notifications for the Shorts so he damn well needs engagement from Instagram.

Anyway. New Short:

This was filmed at the same time the first one using this filter was, and I'm pretty unhappy about it because in that one he even admits he wasn't very satisfied with the spiciness level of the questions. So then why are you serving us this bland food again Mr. Lester??

Meanwhile Dan has gone up in smoke again. I hope he's working on his YouTube comeback. I also hope that it isn't something overly long and complicated that we'll have to wait another six months for.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I like the shorts so I don’t mind that they’re glorified instagram stories because at least we get to see Phil’s face instead of going weeks without anything. I am getting antsy for the video though and If he’s feeling up to it I’d really like for him to go back to his 2019 or even 2020 posting schedule because the last half of 2021 was rough