Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

As expected, the response was overwhelmingly positive.

:sparkle: :rainbowsparkle: :dildo: :rainbowsparkle: :sparkle:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

The best responses to that tweet of Phil's...
He also posted a community update yesterday that was his rainbow cactus crowd shoutouts, all the people who hit rainbow cactus since the last shoutout video. So at least he's remembering those! He said he has a new video idea and will post an update soon.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

:ourmoney:

me trying to entice one of them to DO SOMETHING
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Well it sure is something.

Of course he posts a 1.5 hour video this late in the evening .
'call it a comeback'

So... it isn't one?

Guess I'll find out.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Rampurewal123456
smol bean

Dan's going on tour
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

He’s doing a world tour?!

https://danielhowell.com/

I am hyped.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I wonder if this is going to have subtitles soon... I definitely don't have an hour and a half to watch this while I'm at work, but I'd love to read through the transcript first..
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
parallel
phabergé

I'm going to level with you Dan. I'm not watching all that.

Good for you though, I think? I assume? I guess I will be back tomorrow to see if anyone has written a summary lmao
000dia000
emo goose

something in the universe told me to check back on indepthbants for some reason tonight and call me pleasantly surprised by an update yet also alarmed - a world tour? doing what? talking? out of date bantering with millenial humour? maybe im a little cynical but will he draw the same number of people like they used to? that's enough of me being negative, i'll go WATCH the video...
:cactus:
imaginarymind
dank meme

hello!! haven't been on here in years whoops!
anyways I'm semi back on my bullshit with dan uploading, and I'm peeking in the inspect tab on his tour website- found a couple links to various ticket sites, BUT also several links to festivals??? one of them being coachella??? I am confusion...
dumbslet
tol bean

honest to god laughing at everyone else here who share my single brain cell and thought there's no way I'm watching that 90 minute video

please someone write us a summary 😭
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I have so many thoughts and I'm not even done watching it yet but I gotta say I'm so pleased with his stance on fandom now being "let people have fun" - like, I really thought he was about to say fandom was a lot of why he left.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

Okay I've also only watched 15 min so far and gotta go to bed but Dan said "here's a toast to the lurkers" and that prompted me to come here :ribena:

P.S. lowkey hope someone writes a summary because the fact that it's so long and I don't really know what's happening is making this lowkey stressful to watch
thank's you were great
imaginarymind
dank meme

is this a photo that has seen the light of day before? it's from ticketmaster.
laurenbacall
delia smith

i'm sorry to be negative but dropping 45, 58 and 85 minute long videos is asking for a level of attention and commitment that i am not willing to give someone who disappears for months/years on end and can barely muster 280 characters for a tweet
bee
phabergé

lurker wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:38 pm Okay I've also only watched 15 min so far and gotta go to bed but Dan said "here's a toast to the lurkers" and that prompted me to come here :ribena:
Oh hi, same :ribena:

I'm 40 minutes in and so far it's analyzing about being a Youtuber
tinaoe
crusty sponge

long term lurker, hellooo decided that this was the straw needed to break to get me to finally sign up lol

i'm about 15 minutes til the end and ohhhhhh boooyyy after he dissects what being a youtuber can be, the stress of the algorithm etc he gets into the details of what he had been planning and scripting in 2019/20 and it essentially boils down to youtube originals strung him and the production team along only to cancel everything more or less out of the blue.
lurker
janice from the shop

bee wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:46 pm oh hi, same :ribena:

I'm 40 minutes in and so far it's analyzing about being a Youtuber
:ribena:

hmmm i'll keep watching tomorrow then! i found it interesting so far, but i'm not quite sure yet what it's gonna lead up to.
thank's you were great
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

I have to admit, for about four seconds I wasn't sure if I was going to watch it, then I said 'just five minutes' and now I'm halfway through. It's a tone change from Phil's upbeat content in a way I'm not used to anymore, but it's a good video so far. I would recommend.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Wow I just finished it and I.... really want to light youtube on fire right now for how badly he got fucked over with projects for the last couple of years.
phancon
delia smith

Yeah, I'm more than an hour in and at the minute my main take away is: wow, youtube originals reeeeally screwed him over, huh
swimgirl_1108
tol bean
Pronouns: sher/her

Damn Youtube Originals screwed him over so hard. Strung him along saying they were going to work with him on a ton of shows and original content but didn’t do shit for him and just kept him around for a bunch of marketing shit. All the new juicy information starts around the 56 min mark if people want to jump in there. Here’s a basic overview:

After the coming out video YTO was really interested in him and wanted to do a ton of projects with him - he pitched a bunch of shows to them including a solo comedy tour with a documentary, a scripted comedy series (basically lawyer!dan au lol), a show about him running a marathon, etc. and youtube originals were enthusiastic about everything. He worked hard on all his stuff, wrote scripts, etc. then COVID happened - he kept writing scripts, made contingency plans etc. Then YTO ghosted him, when they finally responded, they only gave him a couple notes on his script with requests for changes, dan did it and sent them an updated script, again radio silence. He was months into working out, ran a half marathon, before they told him they were already were filming a show about a marathon. They basically just kept stringing him along and he adjusted so many plans including pushing back the release date of his book, canceling a 2021 tour, etc. He got an ulcer from stress, had insomnia due to anxiety, etc. They then asked him to join rise up - he figured this was them showing him that they were still interested in him. They finally said that YTO strategy had shifted to unscripted reality so his show wasn’t viable - and he didn’t even hear it from them.

He had turned down offers from others because he wanted the scripted show to be on his channel. He kept doing anything they asked of him (the DAVOS thing) because he wanted them to stay interested. Finally they had a meeting with him to actually talk about what was going on. He pitched hard to them - and they agreed on 3 conditions - they needed extra funding, they could use him for whatever marketing they wanted, and he had to come back to youtube with content. He agreed even offering to pay for ⅓ of the show himself - which was basically all his savings. They asked him to do youtube pride, and then they changed the order of it without consulting him and when he confronted them they called him uncooperative. Then they dropped the tour plan saying there was no budget. They asked him to do the hometown thing with Phil, which he did. Again silence. He sent them a whole list of everything he’s done for them and they finally replied again saying that his projects didn’t align with their new strategy. Then YTO finally shut down. The end.
lurker
janice from the shop

swimgirl_1108 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:04 pm Damn Youtube Originals screwed him over so hard. Strung him along saying they were going to work with him on a ton of shows and original content but didn’t do shit for him and just kept him around for a bunch of marketing shit. All the new juicy information starts around the 56 min mark if people want to jump in there. Here’s a basic overview:

After the coming out video YTO was really interested in him and wanted to do a ton of projects with him - he pitched a bunch of shows to them including a solo comedy tour with a documentary, a scripted comedy series (basically lawyer!dan au lol), a show about him running a marathon, etc. and youtube originals were enthusiastic about everything. He worked hard on all his stuff, wrote scripts, etc. then COVID happened - he kept writing scripts, made contingency plans etc. Then YTO ghosted him, when they finally responded, they only gave him a couple notes on his script with requests for changes, dan did it and sent them an updated script, again radio silence. He was months into working out, ran a half marathon, before they told him they were already were filming a show about a marathon. They basically just kept stringing him along and he adjusted so many plans including pushing back the release date of his book, canceling a 2021 tour, etc. He got an ulcer from stress, had insomnia due to anxiety, etc. They then asked him to join rise up - he figured this was them showing him that they were still interested in him. They finally said that YTO strategy had shifted to unscripted reality so his show wasn’t viable - and he didn’t even hear it from them.

He had turned down offers from others because he wanted the scripted show to be on his channel. He kept doing anything they asked of him (the DAVOS thing) because he wanted them to stay interested. Finally they had a meeting with him to actually talk about what was going on. He pitched hard to them - and they agreed on 3 conditions - they needed extra funding, they could use him for whatever marketing they wanted, and he had to come back to youtube with content. He agreed even offering to pay for ⅓ of the show himself - which was basically all his savings. They asked him to do youtube pride, and then they changed the order of it without consulting him and when he confronted them they called him uncooperative. Then they dropped the tour plan saying there was no budget. They asked him to do the hometown thing with Phil, which he did. Again silence. He sent them a whole list of everything he’s done for them and they finally replied again saying that his projects didn’t align with their new strategy. Then YTO finally shut down. The end.
jesus :shock:
thank's you were great
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I didn’t watch the video but didn’t we already know Youtube was messed up by how they treated Phil? Shooting down the game show and changing Hometown Showdown? If Dan decided to fully invest in Youtube that is a bummer for him but he still got a lot of opportunities that other people didn’t.
swimgirl_1108
tol bean
Pronouns: sher/her

Also not to be rude but I feel so vindicated. I've been perpetually annoyed at people shitting on Dan for not doing anything without knowing what was going on with him. He was working so hard and y'all don't know his life.