Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

scientia wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:54 am
laurenbacall wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:39 pm i'm sorry to be negative but dropping 45, 58 and 85 minute long videos is asking for a level of attention and commitment that i am not willing to give someone who disappears for months/years on end and can barely muster 280 characters for a tweet
This beautifully summarizes how I feel as well :|
Your opinion is valid but it is kind of hilarious that the video is literally about WHY he did not post much content for the last few years. Like that is very literally the point of the video. It is a very, very detailed video about the events of the past few years that led to his not posting and all the content he would have been posting and when had Youtube not been jerking him around. Plus an explanation for the things he did do that seemed very random at the time (and were him trying to keep Youtube happy so they'd greenlight the other content they told him they'd be greenlighting). There's also a lot of vulnerability about his embarrassment and shame over promising content that didn't ever come, and the deep depression he fell into after youtube axed his final project he was hinging everything on.
literally_formless
butt chair

One more thought - are any of you familiar with Simon Amstell and his work? For a while, with all the talk of Dan's standup tour, I've wondered what Dan thinks of Simon Amstell. I was surprised to see Dan included a photo of him in the part where he was taking about dark, mean British comedians he was trying to emulate when he was first starting out. I guess I see some overlap there, at least in their general artistic goals as I perceive them. He had a show called Grandma's House in 2010-2012 .... it's even very slightly similar to the pitch for Dan Is Not Okay. Any of you seen it?
Phantasy
woodland creature

That was… a lot. The long form was a good fit for BIG, but this would have been better suited for multiple parts, or more editing, or in the old days a live stream rant. He’s trusting a lot in his diminishingly enthusiastic audience to stay tuned through the whole thing to learn about the Tour.

I am sympathetic to the later part and his dealings with YouTube Originals and crushed aspirations—glad he finally shared that journey with us, but I couldn’t help think that if maybe he had been more transparent with these projects and given more updates to his audience then perhaps that would have been a motivating factor in keeping some of the projects alive; point being, it’s easier to cancel a secret project than one that’s already in the public space (with a vocal fandom that might have come knocking for answers if something got cut). Then again, with the shuttering of YT Originals, maybe it was always inevitable.

I’m curious where the funding for the tour is coming from this time—wonder if they’re going to stake their fortune again and self-produce, or bring in sponsors/partners.
hellboyhowell
tol bean
Pronouns: he/him

shan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:36 am My guess is this tour will be in more intimate venues than the last two, or at least I selfishly hope so. A more chilled out show would be more up my alley but honestly I'd shell out the money regardless.
actually when you put it like this i think i am slightly more interested in this tour now lol. i think ii ended up being quite overwhelming for me personally and i wished it had more of the intimate just kinda talking about stuff segments instead of the whole Youtuber Challenge type stuff, so if there is more of that in this tour i would be down
waitingfan
tol bean

Phantasy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:10 am That was… a lot. The long form was a good fit for BIG, but this would have been better suited for multiple parts, or more editing, or in the old days a live stream rant. He’s trusting a lot in his diminishingly enthusiastic audience to stay tuned through the whole thing to learn about the Tour.

I am sympathetic to the later part and his dealings with YouTube Originals and crushed aspirations—glad he finally shared that journey with us, but I couldn’t help think that if maybe he had been more transparent with these projects and given more updates to his audience then perhaps that would have been a motivating factor in keeping some of the projects alive; point being, it’s easier to cancel a secret project than one that’s already in the public space (with a vocal fandom that might have come knocking for answers if something got cut). Then again, with the shuttering of YT Originals, maybe it was always inevitable.

I’m curious where the funding for the tour is coming from this time—wonder if they’re going to stake their fortune again and self-produce, or bring in sponsors/partners.
I think Dan did say he was required by YTO to stay silent about his projects. So basically he was not allowed to be more transparent. To keep secrets about future projects is also common and logical requirement from YTO’s point of view tbh. Though it completely goes against what a YouTuber should do, it is simply how high-budget long-term projects are done irl.
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

I feel like I never left the phandom, but it kinda left me in a way since there was no content for so long. I did appreciate the video for the most part but I think at least the first 30-40 minutes was kinda unnecessary for me personally. Still kinda interesting but maybe belonged in a different video.

For people saying they don't want to watch it, that's fine and I really understand the sentiment. But at the same time, the fact that you still notice that he posts and that you are coming back to idb to say that you will not be watching it means that maybe you still are a bit interested in Dan and Phil? Maybe just watch the second half on 2x speed if you're only kinda interested.

dontpanic wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:37 pm, I think if the prices are reasonable and the venues aren't huuuuge he won't have trouble selling tickets.
I hope he doesn't overshoot with this. I'm worried that he probably has lost a huge number of fans over the past few years and if he is still going by 2018 numbers the relative disinterest may be kind of a shock. It might make sense for him to start with very small (300-1000 person) venues and add more of they sell out. He did seem to indicate that the point of the tour would be for himself and not for money so that does relieve some of my second hand stress lmao.

If he does come to the US I definitely hope I'll be able to come to a show

Edit: I forgot that i wanted to say that what YTO did was really shitty, and I'm very glad Dan didn't give them all his life savings.
kavat
pastel persona

Good morning, I'm running on very little sleep because he decided to post past my bedtime and then I just couldn't stop watching. This video really proved why I enjoy him as a story teller and creator.

I understand that people might find the first hour a bit redundant, but I think it brings important context to his current views on youtube and the creator economy of today. We've heard bits of it before in liveshows etc (and just living through it) but I do think many youtube viewers just never think about how it actually works and how it affects their favorite creators. Plus, BIG did actually bring in new viewers so a little context for randos that find this is probably good.

The last 0.5h was... the stories I never thought we would hear. He has gotten flack his whole career for not talking about what he's up to, and here it is, out in the open. This is why he never talks about projects he's working on, because you never know if it's going to happen until it's actually out (Mexico tour dates anyone?).

If he had talked about the things he was working on in advance and they never happened, he would be called a failure and a flop and another youtuber who bit off more than he could chew. When in reality it's his ass on the line just for some executive somewhere deciding it's just not in the budget.

Anyway I'm going to listen to it a few more times today and continue to laugh at how he called Phil a piece of furniture. The most romantic unromantic thing I've ever heard.
dontpanic
#relatable

after watching Dan's video I can't stop thinking about Phil at 19:13
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella
Pronouns: She/her

I do also wonder if along with health issues this is why Phil has posted less. His partner/furniture being really mentally ill plus his own health issues plus what I assume is a healthy amount of resentment for the platform he was posting on on Dan's behalf
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I think it’s fair for people to have negative feelings about it and be reluctant to want to watch it, I get that people feel burnt/hurt/upset that Dan disappeared for a long time and only seemed to appear when he was trying to sell something.

What I would say is, if you can’t watch the whole thing, at least watch the last 25-30 minutes. I hold up my hands and say I was hurt that he disappeared for so long, I have expressed negative feelings about it in the past. After watching this video and learning about what actually happened I understand now. I understand why he disappeared and why he could not communicate anything. He was literally holding onto YouTube Originals to give him something he worked so hard on, to follow their rules and guidance to then get fucked over. Dan has never been great with communication however I think this video is absolutely fantastic and I only hope he will now start to make content he wants to do rather than have to be involved in things because he thought there would be a positive outcome for him later on.

I also wondered, complete speculation, if any of this also had an impact on Phil and his health. He must have been so worried about Dan when he sunk into his deep depression. All the stress that this whole situation must have put on both of them is just insane!

Someone said about venue sizes (sorry I can’t quote right now). There is one venue in Oxford he is apparently playing, it’s 1800 seats.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
starsandshards
living flop

Everyone has said everything I wanted to say already (hence why I've thumbed-up tonnes of posts in here!) so I'm just gonna add my pointless ramble...

I enjoyed the delve into YouTube because I've never fully understood how it works. I appreciated all the talk about stats and algorithm because it's totally above my head so yeah thanks Dan for going into that a bit!

God I feel so... idk. After seeing so much hate for him lately on unnamed social platforms I feel like this is a big HA!!!! in their faces. There is probably a more eloquent way to say it but HA!!! sums it up for me. We truly don't know what's going on behind the scenes and people should stop feeling so entitled, that's all.

Excited for this tour - sorry I can't remember who mentioned it but I do feel like it'll be along the lines of Simon Amstell's schtick, he is very cynical and funny with it... I didn't manage to catch Simon on tour but I did enjoy the bits of Grandma's House that I saw. I think I've blanked out a lot of that time in my life, looking back, so maybe I shall watch it again! Edit: it was literally_formless! Thank you for drawing the comparison! <3

Wishing Dan all the best and all the luck for his screenwriting and whatever else he wants to do... He rags on himself a lot (understandable given the sea of criticism he has to deal with, I would've retreated into a cave forever if I had to read all that bullshit, props to his therapist and to Dan himself for coping so well in the face of it) but he is pretty talented. I didn't think I would sit through that entire video (ADHD, tired, etc etc) but I did, and had some proper LOL moments, and it was engaging and interesting besides.

I love Phil's videos so damn much because he makes me laugh loads and brightens my day, but sometimes I do miss a good meaty (sorry) Dan video to get my teeth into. This was a great (non?)comeback, yee.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Hello! Okay omg I can't believe I'm back on IDB! I can't believe Dan brought me back!
But I do have to say logging in here and typing this makes me feel a bit teary!

I feel like this post is more for me and is probably be annoying for everyone else but WOW that was a lot ?

I still think Dan is not the best at communicating in general but I do understand his lack of communication for the past two years. I can’t imagine the toll it had on him and not just in a “wow my dreams are shattering” kind of way but this feeling of moving goal posts and feeling like maybe he didn’t do enough ? That honestly crushed me.

I really liked the video anyway. The feeling I had watching it was kinda the same I had when watching Contrapoints Cancelling video : it’s a “hello i’m back” video that promises a lot and that the viewer may not be convinced of at first when they get the YT notification but that totally delivers in the end and is a great come back video.

I haven’t been active in the phandom at all for the past few months except talking to my IDB peeps on twitter (hi guys <3) but now i have this feeling coming back to me so.. I guess I’m still a phannie after all, which is wild to me. I’m even considering going to see Dan (depending on where he’s going) so !!!
:gayaf:
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

literally_formless wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:41 am One more thought - are any of you familiar with Simon Amstell and his work? For a while, with all the talk of Dan's standup tour, I've wondered what Dan thinks of Simon Amstell. I was surprised to see Dan included a photo of him in the part where he was taking about dark, mean British comedians he was trying to emulate when he was first starting out. I guess I see some overlap there, at least in their general artistic goals as I perceive them. He had a show called Grandma's House in 2010-2012 .... it's even very slightly similar to the pitch for Dan Is Not Okay. Any of you seen it?
Yes, absolutely, in fact I imagine that Dan’s stand up show will have a similar vibe to Simon Amstell’s Netflix special “Set Free” (worth a look if it’s still on there!)
lurker
janice from the shop

Something random that stuck out to me was Dan's analysis of TTLMT. It seems like to him, it was crystal clear what he was trying to say, but I actually remember being quite confused by it back when it dropped (and seem to remember discussions along the line of "wait, what was that about?" on here as well). I guess at the time, he was trying to express himself while playing it safe and not revealing too much, which is fair. Yet, it feels like he thinks he made things extremely obvious when to me they definitely weren't. I wanna go back and rewatch TTLMT with the added context tonight.
thank's you were great
Ataraxia25
flower crown

lurker wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:43 am Something random that stuck out to me was Dan's analysis of TTLMT. It seems like to him, it was crystal clear what he was trying to say, but I actually remember being quite confused by it back when it dropped (and seem to remember discussions along the line of "wait, what was that about?" on here as well). I guess at the time, he was trying to express himself while playing it safe and not revealing too much, which is fair. Yet, it feels like he thinks he made things extremely obvious when to me they definitely weren't. I wanna go back and rewatch TTLMT with the added context tonight.
THIS! It was so weird to me hearing him talk about it like that because I really remember all the conversations we had on this very website when it came out and we had no idea what it meant.

tbh i don't know if he's saying this now, in retrospect, (kinda in a "fuck you phandom" way) as a way to show how deeply misunderstood he is or if he just.... doesn't hear the words he's saying ? Because what he explained in Why I Quit Youtube is NOT AT ALL what he tried to say in TTLMT (at least to me)
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

One of the venues already has a show description up, this is what it says:

Daniel Howell: We're All Doomed!
Performance Date: 10/26/2022, 7:30 pm

Daniel Howell is back, as stressed and depressingly dressed as ever, with his epic new solo comedy stage show “We’re All Doomed!”.

When there’s so many apocalyptic scenarios threatening to destroy us, it might be tempting to give into the gloom - but with enough sarcasm, satire, and a desire to skewer everything that’s wrong with society: Dan is determined to find some hope for humanity ..or at least laugh like it’s the end of the world (because it probably is).

Prepare for a night of savage self-deprecation, soul-searching, Dan over-sharing his deepest fears and desires, and become part of a community of doomers to share the final days.

Daniel Howell Bio:

Daniel Howell is one of the world’s most successful, stressed and depressed entertainers. Known for his savagely self-deprecating and sarcastic humour, Dan fairly skewers everything that’s wrong with the world as much as he does himself. From bestselling books, an award-winning show on BBC Radio 1, and billions of views on his celebrated online content - to sellout world tours performing high-concept comedy to over 500,000 people in 18 countries, Dan’s dedicated audience relate to his outlook on life and follow anywhere he goes.

While making jokes at his own expense, Dan has shared serious struggles with his sexuality and mental health, that have culminated in his recent special ‘Gay and Not Proud’ and #1 Bestselling book ‘You Will Get Through This Night’ - a no nonsense guide to looking after your sanity - as well as being a proud ambassador for Stonewall and Young Minds.

His epic new solo comedy stage show “We’re All Doomed!” is here to demand we honestly accept the fate of humanity with all the apocalypses threatening to consume us - and if we can’t find a reason to feel hopeful for the future, at least laugh like it’s the end of the world ..because it probably is. Touring the world (while it’s still here) in 2022, Dan will return to iconic venues such as the London Palladium, NYC’s Kings Theatre and The Ace in Los Angeles, as well as dates across Australia and Europe. Tickets are available at: danielhowell.com
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I had one thought last night that if he’d uploaded this video, but without the last five minutes or the tour ready to go, it would have been one sad ending. I was more thinking of criticisms of him coming back at last and having something new to sell, cos any projects or new YouTube content still coming soon would have been yet more of the ‘soon’.

I also saw Grandma’s House, that’s a good comparison. I really liked it and vibed with it as a Jewish person from north London, it was relatable. There’s also Friday Night Dinner which I watched some, and I could relate some, but not much, and I didn’t find it funny. It’s hard with comedy, some of it really misses the mark for me.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Alrighty-o. I watched it when it came out. And then I slept on it. And first and foremost I just wanna say: FUCK, I really missed him. That shit slapped me in the face when I watched him sit down in that first minute. DAMN. I'm so happy to see him back.. whatever that means.

And then the first 52 minutes were mostly shit I knew. So, I'm echoing everyone's sentiments that that part wasn't all that exciting. (But also shout-out to 39 min in, when he shows photos of all their youtube tech and it's clearly in Phil's filming room heh). And also shout-out to him waxing poetic about D&P. I knew he loved us all along~*~* (Also yeah: They are real people. So they will make reappearances together occasionally. And I love that sentiment because it also has the subtext that like, behind the scenes, him and Phil are still very much a duo.)

:rainbowtears:
Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:12 am
lurker wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:43 am Something random that stuck out to me was Dan's analysis of TTLMT. It seems like to him, it was crystal clear what he was trying to say, but I actually remember being quite confused by it back when it dropped (and seem to remember discussions along the line of "wait, what was that about?" on here as well). I guess at the time, he was trying to express himself while playing it safe and not revealing too much, which is fair. Yet, it feels like he thinks he made things extremely obvious when to me they definitely weren't. I wanna go back and rewatch TTLMT with the added context tonight.
THIS! It was so weird to me hearing him talk about it like that because I really remember all the conversations we had on this very website when it came out and we had no idea what it meant.

tbh i don't know if he's saying this now, in retrospect, (kinda in a "fuck you phandom" way) as a way to show how deeply misunderstood he is or if he just.... doesn't hear the words he's saying ? Because what he explained in Why I Quit Youtube is NOT AT ALL what he tried to say in TTLMT (at least to me)
Also I want to quote this because YES OMG! It's been like 4 years and I have still found myself pondering that video and what the fuck he was trying to say. I definitely remember all of us being wildly confused. And then BIG came out and I think we all just assumed: Maybe he was trying to get to that without getting to that? (Which - he kinda confirms.) But honestly, nothing about that video ever suggested burnout to me. So. Um. Ok, Dan.

Perhaps I'll rewatch TTLMT later today and see if I see it, but honestly that video has always been a level of cringe for me that I could never quite get through.

ANYWHO: Shit gets good at 53 min. And I'm not sure I have a whole commentary for it besides to say: I'm not sorry for loudly missing Dan. I'm sorry for what YTO did to him. That fucking blows. And I completely understand why he couldn't say anything to us about his projects. But I'm not sorry for missing him out loud for 2 years. I had half a decade of content from him before he disappeared and went silent. Of course I'm going to loudly and bitterly mourn that. But I also fully understand what happened and... I just kinda want to give him a hug.

I hope his show still comes to fruition (but I'm not so sure with him revealing the plot?). I also wonder if he was meant to be the main actor playing himself? Because if it does still happen, I'm not sure I'm prepared to see Dan's bare ass.

The Marathon thing confused me a bit. I can't quite pinpoint whether he did the marathon for content or did the content because he wanted to do a marathon?? But I'm /extra/ sad about that. I wish he would still do it and release it as like vlogs or a video diary or something. I think the idea still has SOOOOO much potential. Which actually brings me to this: Does he really need corporate funding to get done some of the things he wants to get done? A lot of his equals on youtube hire and make quality content with scripts and teams without corporate backing. Like.. ok, maybe DINOK wouldn't work without it, but I think the marathon thing totally could!

This is turning into a full dissertation which was never my intention, but the last thing I wanna say (for now) is that I got really good vibes from this video. The likes of which I've never felt from Dan before. Ever. Not even after BIG. I've always been a Dannie, but sometimes I found myself really feeling like Dan glorified sadness a bit too much. (That's a me problem, not a him problem. He can be an emo kid all he wants.) This video though... felt happy? Free? Ya know? Actually, openly accepting of his situation and his fans and his interests and his wants. Nothing about it felt bitter. Even his twitter responses are just... kind? Like, he's being emotionally honest and open.

It just sort of feels like he's given all the fucks he had left and now he's over it. The white background instead of black? Representative imho. And refreshing.

Someone close to Dan pls give him a big, annoying hug for me.
Morganaa
drama llama

well, I know, nobody asks me. I also know my opinions are too controversial or maybe even politically incorrect for me to be a part of the discussion here - I've been told that, that's why I sometimes read, but basically dumped the account I've made after like, two posts. but I'm kinda feelin like I wanna say this, while sittin at the office with all my reports done...
THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS AND ONLY MINE, YOU DONT HAVE TO AGREE, just please don't call me a troll because you don't like them.

I also have a feeling this tour's gonna be a "hectic" one. I really doubt he has an audience big enough to pay to see his live shows. the younger viewers grew up, found other interests and most of the ones left are... let's be honest, probably there because they wanna see the two dynamic, more interested in joint content. I'm not saying everyone, I'm saying the majority. obviously, the time will show how it goes, but right now I'm pretty sure that ain't gonna be a big event.

another thing is that, I wonder what's that gonna be about. what is he gonna do? recite some stories or talk about random things, while tryin to do a standup? I did not watch the video, just went through it listening to random parts, because, to be honest, his humor and way of "presenting"(especially just by himself and especially after 2019) is totally not my scene - frankly, I even find it pretty annoying and cringy(no, I'm not trolling, that's just how it is, I don't like his solo act on videos - sue me). I've always been just a very casual viewer, randomly watching some stuff of that joint dynamic, and joint stories I've mentioned, that's how I was also brought here, from what I remember. I've found out about them and their channels only around the late 18/early 19 - believe me or not, I've never even heard of them before that - and I used to watch(but also always casually) some YouTubers back in the days of 2012-2018 years, mostly. also, these numbers are exaggerated I'm pretty sure(because they always are in one way or another) and I definitely wouldn't call him "one of the most successful entertainers" either... but you can think whatever you want, like I said, my opinions are mine and nobody's gotta agree.

I'm not gonna comment and say how much I feel sorry for him because he has mental issues and depression and how all his work got him nowhere - I ain't gonna lie, I'm probably bitter because nobody ever gave a shit and felt sorry for my own mental problems and struggles I had since childhood, when I had huge social anxiety(and was just made fun of and heard sarcastic comments about how I'm a spoiled rich kid and won't talk to anyone because of it) and later developed chronic anxiety, depression, suicidal attempts at the age or 13 or 14 and later big addiction struggles. when I couldn't get out of bed and go to school when I was depressed, my family thought the best reason to resolve it was to get my cousin to beat me up and drag me to school, when I begged to go to see a doctor because my whole eye was swollen and thought my finger was broken(which almost was), they wouldn't, did this after I went to school psychologist to talk about it, and when they got called in to school, they said I made it all up and fell off the stairs, the exact same thing they said to the doc, when they finally took me to, yelling at me all the time. when I said I was depressed, EVERYONE laughed at me, repeating that I'm just a spoiled brat and how can I be depressed when I'm wealthy, I have everything I want and opportunities that other kids could only dream of. my parents did spend big on me, and loved me until I developed mental health issues, then only yelled that I bring them shame and wished they did abort me(they almost did, never wanted a child, but started to think otherwise later). I was sort of "bullied" because of my problems practically all my life(as a kid, mostly by adults, family and teachers, who knew my parents and felt like they can do all these comments. I never had many friends, but those who I wanted to talk to nobody cared too), so like I said, I ain't gonna boo because he had them, like everyone else here. career problems... well, life. I had a lot of them too. but it ain't about me, so I'll just shut up, I'll probably get scolded for writing all of this.

and another thing, that nobody's gonna say here - remember, the truth is like ass - everybody has their own. EVERYBODY will victimize themselves while talking about something bad that happened to them, because everybody thinks it's them that are right. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the way it all turned the way it did because he fucked something up himself. like you all said, they’ve never been masters of communication, both of them and I would take it... with at least a little bit more distance and assume all he's sayin is always true and even go as much as sayin that you despise all the people who weren't happy with him announcing something and then vanishing for two years whatsoever - that is only and ONLY his fault, and I wouldn't find all of it as an excuse. everyone who has some work or life experience got more or less fucked over by a corporation. it's also not an excuse to say it's right, but like I'm sayin, everyone portrays themselves as a victim when something goes awry and again, straight up, without sugarcoatin, imma say it's really difficult to believe it was ALL the yt's fault, not his and I'm pretty sure there are aspects that he did not talk about and everything he said is a 100000% true. I'm not tryin to say he's lying, not at all, I'm just simply sayin that there's always more truths than one and you should take it all with a bit of a distance. especially knowing how he is - from what I've heard he DID fuck up(even let's take that communication as an example) in the past. so no, I a hundred percent understand all the people who said they ain't gonna watch the video, because they don't want to give their time and this much attention to somebody who treated their audience like the way he did.

So here, I said what came to my dumb and trollin' head. call me out, ban me, whatever you wish. have a nice day!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Morganaa, we will never and have never banned people for having opinions! So you really, genuinely don't need to worry about that. People are obviously free to respond to you how they want (within the rules) but as a forum we're here for open discussion!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I haven't had a chance to watch yet -- I actually love log YT videos, so I'm looking forward to it -- but I have been curious specifically about the response from other creators. Like, is this an experience that others have had and how well does Dan describe some of the challenges both of just being a creator and with YouTube specifically? If anyone has seen those sorts of responses, I'd love to see them. But here's something very short and sweet from Jack Howard that seems to indicate some creator solidarity:
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Morganaa wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:01 pm I also have a feeling this tour's gonna be a "hectic" one. I really doubt he has an audience big enough to pay to see his live shows. the younger viewers grew up, found other interests and most of the ones left are... let's be honest, probably there because they wanna see the two dynamic, more interested in joint content. I'm not saying everyone, I'm saying the majority. obviously, the time will show how it goes, but right now I'm pretty sure that ain't gonna be a big event.
It will be interesting to see what the turnout will be like. I wasn't expecting II to do as well as it did since they had toured just two years before and, although still popular, weren't at their peak but it still proved to be very successful.

There does seem to be a lot of interest in Dan's tour. There are posts like this all over social media with tons of likes and people saying they are so glad to see him back. Hopefully this initial excitement translates to ticket sales.
Morganaa
drama llama

yes, like I said, we will see how it all plays out(pun not intended). there is an excitement of the people who waited for him because he uploaded, but does this equal the demand for the actual tour is gonna be huge?social media replies and actual tour are a different thing - like I said, at this moment I don't think there are gonna be thousands of people worldwide who will beat over to get a ticket, because like most people said - the fandom is mostly gone. kinda like it was with the book - everybody was sooo hyped at first, the hype spreaded thorough the left fandom people fast, but then, the excitement died kinda just as quickly as it began... but, there's really no way to estimate it now - we will have to wait and see, nobody will really see into the future now...

also, my previous post turned out a little confusing, especially the last part(I was writing it all really fast without double checking), so what I meant Is that I wouldn't assume and believe in every single word. like I said, people rarely want to admit their faults, so I just don't think the whole video tells the whole truth, because again, the truth tends to be different for everybody and the more complex the problem is, the more likely we wont get the whole picture by hearing the story out of just one person.things like that very rarely are just a one side's fault.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm doing timestamps and I think it's gonna get super long in the second part so I decided that I... unlike Dan... am splitting them up into two posts!

Why I Quit Youtube (part one)
:00 - Introduction
1:15 - (title card) Why Did Dan Quit Youtube?
2:00 - (title card) 1. Youtube: Broadcast Yourself
3:11 - Phil's first cameo + Bryony
3:37 - "an amazing guy named Phil" + SW art
4:40 - SW art about the golden age of youtube
4:58 (title card) 2. Public Ownership
6:22 - SW art bout monetizing hobbies
7:40 - Triangle of Respect graphic
10:00 - Talks about the response to dropping out of university
10:20 - Chronic stress of money in 2013: "With youtube, a show on radio 1, various gigs, a web series, and a cereal advert [...] I still couldn't pay the damn rent, what the fuck?"
11:43 - Triangle of Sucess (Work, Talent, Luck)
12:43 - "Don't worry, pitchforks down. I am a genuinely miserable fuck that is so inherently processing a trench of trauma so deep I'll die by the time I just learn to chill the fuck out, so I'm doing that for you."
13:30 - SW art - asscrack in the mirror/creating what the followers want.
13:53 - Dan the edgy little British boy vs Dan from Dan and Phil
15:15 - Dan and Phil felt validating because it made people happy.
16:12 - SW art; every youtuber is traumatized by trolls. "Obviously on the internet, people are ungiveashitably toxic because we're all miserable, and slapping someone down a step lets us wallow in the swamp of suffering together.
17:24 - A toast to the lurkers.
17:45 - SW art - peak fandom
18:15 - SW art - internet Godzilla
19:21 - He almost didn't enjoy any of the Dan and Phil success because he was afraid of being outed.
21:35 (title card) 3. The Algorithm
21:49 - NFT shade
24:01 - The dinosaur that says yee.
25:52 - Pause for ad screen.
28:52 - 1.5 fucks per minute in BIG/Stephen Fry quote
31:38 - All of the things he did for Youtube
32:34 - The death of art is graphs
33:25 - Nord VPN sponsorship joke
36:16 - (title card) 4. Being a Youtuber
36:53 - SW art; disgraced youtuber accidentally litters
38:20 - SW art; just a youtuber
39:20 - Montage of behind the scenes youtuber jobs, including a post engagement screen
40:03 - PJ cameo
41:39 - SW art; influencer boxing
42:27 - "Phil loved it, he doesn't give a fuck." (re: ads)
43:16 - SW art; creativity full of angry hornets
43:33 - (title card) 5. Burn Out
43:43 - TTLMT
44:12 - SW art; Dan was not on fire
47:20 - SW art; Phil doesn't count, he might as well be furniture
48:55 - Dan blames charlieissocoollike, George Carlin, his dad for his quality filter.
49:50 - He hates the filmmaking part and setting up equipment.
50:45 - He liked working with people at BBC, for the esports documentary, on tour.
51:37 - Basically I'm Gay. "That video is the absolute limit of what I can do myself."
52:59 - SW art; Dan in a metapod
tinaoe
crusty sponge

I honestly think the tour is gonna sell fine. I’ve already seen a bunch of TikTok’s about people wanting to buy tickets, and quite a few younger people who only got into D&P in the past few years as well and who never got the chance to do to the previous tours. And tbh for me this program style sounds much more appealing than II or TATINOF so if he comes to Germany I’ll for sure try to go