Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dontpanic
#relatable

kavat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:51 pm Aaaaand we've reached 1 million views in 21 hours. On a 1h 25m video. Boy still got it!
this is really embarrassing for me to admit, but I used to have an excel sheet where I kept track of how many views each vid had at 24hrs and since I began all his non-tour or book or YTO related vids reached 1mil in under 24 hours (I think I started with his Tyler collab one, I'll have to find it when I get home. I did it with dapg too, I think the median was around 700k in 24hrs, not sure tho. I think I once posted it on here actually...)

anyway, he's kept that streak going, good for him!
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

'
Still watching but I just need to stop and say I would never want to watch a documentary in which some fit chav is running a marathon. What could there possibly be to relate to?
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Cornelia posted a video on instagram showing her packing for Florida. I wonder if Phil is also going.
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I saw Cornelia post about packing on stories several days ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're already in Florida.

Would be great with a vacation to wind down after the stress and anxiety posting this video must have meant for both Dan and Phil!
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

kavat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:18 am I saw Cornelia post about packing on stories several days ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're already in Florida.
She liked my reply last night at 10pm my time (also Florida time) so either she is already there or up very late in the UK
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Catallena wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:15 pm It honestly took me a few hours to get through the first 50 minutes. It's not bad, it just took way too long to get to the meaty parts. The history of Dan on YouTube is a nice way to start the story he wanted to tell and I understand why he went for that approach rather than some dramatic tea spill expose video, but it didn't need to be that looooong.
I haven't even watched the whole video yet (I am so little involved these days I only found out about the video last night 😅) - but I do find it important that he has the long buildup.

It frames the story as an emotional experience instead of just drama for the sake of drama. Without the long intro, people would be quick to say "Oh he shouldn't complain, he's plenty famous/rich/etc. and has been so for all his career. It's only fair that the tides turn at some point".

Also can I just say I am living for Dan calling D&P "that gay shit".

Curious what the future will hold!
Morganaa
drama llama

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:03 pm
Catallena wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:15 pm It honestly took me a few hours to get through the first 50 minutes. It's not bad, it just took way too long to get to the meaty parts. The history of Dan on YouTube is a nice way to start the story he wanted to tell and I understand why he went for that approach rather than some dramatic tea spill expose video, but it didn't need to be that looooong.
I haven't even watched the whole video yet (I am so little involved these days I only found out about the video last night 😅) - but I do find it important that he has the long buildup.

It frames the story as an emotional experience instead of just drama for the sake of drama. Without the long intro, people would be quick to say "Oh he shouldn't complain, he's plenty famous/rich/etc. and has been so for all his career. It's only fair that the tides turn at some point".

again, I'm just gonna come here and troll for a bit - to me popularity and fame are not synonyms. famous, for example, is... I dunno - Robert De Niro, Sylvester Stallone, Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. people who actually did something, succeeded, in something else than just(hostently), makin an idiot outta themselves on the internet(like most YouTubers did, also let's be honest). I'm not tryin to put anyone down and say creators are idiots, not at all, but being"famous" because of content like doin some challenges and overload themselves with memes, to appear humoristic... well I would not consider an influencer a famous personality. popular, but not famous. they definitely live on a higher level than an average family, but I also don't think they are as rich as everybody thinks they are(not sayin they're poor, don't get me wrong like people did the last time), but bein an inuencer, even a popular one, does not mean you get paid thousands hundred $ . most of you probably know how corporation work - they won't throw cash at anyone to do one video, because everythin that count these days are numbers. I don't know their savings or anything, ain't my business anyway, but I'm just tryin to let you know that influencers"estimated net worths" you can find on the internet are not a reliable source of information, in a lot of cases even made up. you can be a real famous person and have nothin, bein in debt even(there are a lot of examples out there) as well as not be famous or popular and have much more.
also, like I said in a post a few pages back, that's the exact thing everybody said to me while I was struggling with depression - you are wealthy, got everythin, what do you have to be depressed about? go get yourself together, kid and stop pledin for attention". I know how it is , bein said that, but for him I see vast majority of people pitching about how bad they feel for him and how hard it must've been. I've mentioned that before, maybe I'm bitter because In my case no one ever cared about my mental health, so deep down I got this rooted that "if nobody gives a shit about me, then why would I give a shit about anyone else, even with similar experiences" I've never struggled with internal homophobiaand this lgbt kinda stuff - I'm a straight female and I don't identify myself as being somethin in between nor don't feel attracted to other females, I imagine it must have been hard, but he's got a lot of supppost it seems - like I said, I'm a sceptic and ain't gonna comment on this matter further.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Morganaa wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:05 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:03 pm

again, I'm just gonna come here and troll for a bit - to me popularity and fame are not synonyms. famous, for example, is... I dunno - Robert De Niro, Sylvester Stallone, Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. people who actually did something, succeeded, in something else than just(hostently), makin an idiot outta themselves on the internet(like most YouTubers did, also let's be honest). I'm not tryin to put anyone down and say creators are idiots, not at all, but being"famous" because of content like doin some challenges and overload themselves with memes, to appear humoristic... well I would not consider an influencer a famous personality. popular, but not famous. they definitely live on a higher level than an average family, but I also don't think they are as rich as everybody thinks they are(not sayin they're poor, don't get me wrong like people did the last time), but bein an inuencer, even a popular one, does not mean you get paid thousands hundred $ . most of you probably know how corporation work - they won't throw cash at anyone to do one video, because everythin that count these days are numbers. I don't know their savings or anything, ain't my business anyway, but I'm just tryin to let you know that influencers"estimated net worths" you can find on the internet are not a reliable source of information, in a lot of cases even made up. you can be a real famous person and have nothin, bein in debt even(there are a lot of examples out there) as well as not be famous or popular and have much more.
also, like I said in a post a few pages back, that's the exact thing everybody said to me while I was struggling with depression - you are wealthy, got everythin, what do you have to be depressed about? go get yourself together, kid and stop pledin for attention". I know how it is , bein said that, but for him I see vast majority of people pitching about how bad they feel for him and how hard it must've been. I've mentioned that before, maybe I'm bitter because In my case no one ever cared about my mental health, so deep down I got this rooted that "if nobody gives a shit about me, then why would I give a shit about anyone else, even with similar experiences" I've never struggled with internal homophobiaand this lgbt kinda stuff - I'm a straight female and I don't identify myself as being somethin in between nor don't feel attracted to other females, I imagine it must have been hard, but he's got a lot of supppost it seems - like I said, I'm a sceptic and ain't gonna comment on this matter further.
Brain chemicals don't really care about what else you have in life. Depression is depression, if money could cure it then we wouldn't ever lose celebrities long before their time. Having money means you have resources to try and get yourself help and that's good. That can do a lot. And I'm glad he has that. Frankly, I don't think the logic that "I suffered so everyone else should" is a very healthy attitude to take, so in my opinion I'm glad for every person that struggles with depression and does have those resources. Instead of wishing that famous or popular people didn't have those, I'd rather put my energy toward wishing and working toward those resources being available to everyone. Which, remember, is exactly what Dan does. He's an ambassador for Young Minds, a charity that specifically helps people with depression connect with the things they need to help them.

As far as his sexuality goes, yeah - the thing is, having support when it's an audience doesn't make it any easier to deal with interpersonal relationships in your actual life. If your dad disowns you, thirty thousand likes on a tweet won't make that feel better. It's good that Dan had a parent and a grandparent that accepted him, but he has been very explicit about the fact that his father made him feel like he didn't have a safe place to come out as a teenager.
tinaoe
crusty sponge

On the topic of YouTubers reacting to the video:

Hank just uploaded a sort of reply/take on Dan’s video, where he calls the first half of it “one of the most thoughtful, eloquent and in [his] opinion accurate takes on the history of YouTube and the many bad parts of being a YouTuber”, says he agrees with everything in it (“which is weird because [he’s] talked to Dan like twice in [his] life”) and it made him reflect on both why he hasn’t burned out or given up on YouTube. He brings up a few issues that made him entertain the idea of quitting over the years.

A thing that he included there that I found interesting was the idea that he sometimes felt like he couldn’t live up to not only who he himself wanted to be or considered himself to be, but also the image that other people had of him & the responsibility that brings. I thought that was quite the interesting take since Dan and Phil both playing a character/a certain version of themselves gets discussed quite often, but we also see the ideas other people/fans construct over the years
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sat May 07, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
Morganaa
drama llama

um...
but where did I say that"I suffer so everyone else should"? I had never wished mental problems, especially the ones I've been through upon anyone at all. all I said is, whole of my life I've just been said I'm bullshit. nobody cared. so if nobody cared about me, then I'm not gonna join the circle of people sayin sugary things about how hard it must have been. yep, it is hard. and I can't really help with that attitude of "why should I care". I know it's not healthy, but for someone who already has a lot of support, I just ain't gonna sugarcoat things...

see, this is the thing I said about people misunderstanding me, and controversial opinions... all I say is I can't help that attitude, even with mental care help and therapy. I wish the best for anyone who overcame this, but I'm just not gonna voice it out. sometimes I get angry at the world for the way it is, and feel totally useless, wishing've never been born. it's part of all that problems I have. I know, I should just shut up, because everyone will see me as a troll.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

tinaoe wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:16 pm On the topic of YouTubers reacting to the video:

https://youtu.be/nC5dsA_EO6o
Can't figure out how to post a pic but there was a cute exchange in the comments.

marsgirl:
One of my favorite parts of Hank's personality is him being a huge Dan Howell fan, I just love it so much!

vlogbrothers:
Dan and Phil are just so smart and thoughtful and kind...I am so happy for them and all they have accomplished and learned and taught...
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

So, like....

What do we think Phil's getting up to while Dan's gone? Surely he'll fly out to some tour stops on occasion. But do we think he's just gonna join him? After all, Dan loved touring because Phil was with him.

I don't think touring's a Phil-thing... just like... logistically. Esp given the dizzy spells, so I feel like he probs won't be around for the whole thing, but I'm not gonna make this post and pretend like they're not co-dependent.

Thoughts thoughts thoughts.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

rizzo wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:38 pm So, like....

What do we think Phil's getting up to while Dan's gone? Surely he'll fly out to some tour stops on occasion. But do we think he's just gonna join him? After all, Dan loved touring because Phil was with him.
So far this is all I've seen them say on the matter: (Also, am I just less mad at him now or are his Twitter replies happier/nicer?)

I wouldn't be surprised if Phil joined him and just stayed out of the limelight, or if he just popped in periodically when his health is good. I haven't gotten the impression that he's had breakthroughs with treating it, but hopefully it will be manageable enough to enjoy some vacation days. If we end up seeing that he's well enough to be part of the Florida trip with M&C then I'll be shocked if he doesn't tag along for at least part of the tour.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Yeah I think we're gonna see a lot of Phil traveling. Even if Dan is on his own for weeks at a time, I think Phil is definitely gonna be popping in at places that are specifically of his interest, yknow? Australia for SURE.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Dan must be so excited that this tour is finally coming to fruition. I remember him saying after both tours that he really enjoyed them because he loved connecting with his audience on a personal level, and also really enjoyed having a set schedule and a purpose to each day. I hope this turns out to be exactly what he needs it to be.

I think he's gonna need a lot of rest after this one, so many dates with little time to rest in between. I'm feeling exhausted for him just looking at the list!
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

tinaoe wrote: Hank Green just replied to Dan’s tweet with an all caps “I like you so much” which is cute (& after lowkey clowning his TikTok manager for her reaction to the video yesterday lol) . The Green bros obviously have a very pretty different approach to YouTube videos (especially for vlogbrothers) but I always enjoy the two of them interacting with D&P in some way and I do think what Dan said about “the algorithm” and burn out will probably resonate across approaches and content styles
The Mutual Green/Howell appreciation continues

I'm here for this. The wholesomeness of the Green Brothers and their sweet interactions with Dan have always given me warm fuzzies. I think they really connect on a level of earnestness - they are all people who think deeply about the way in which they interact with the world, because they feel deeply. I think Phil is this way too but i think he tends to focus his energies on a much smaller sphere (his family/friends & to an extent his viewers) perhaps because that's were he is confident his actions have meaning and larger spheres get overwhelming. Phil is good at staying within his stress tolerance window. Dan less so.

Dan is such an intelligent, thoughtful individual. I would enjoy him "officially" joining the ranks of "intellectual tube". It would surely give us a lot of interesting conversations to think about. Because the best part is not necessarily someone coming in with a perfect, self contained video, but throwing their analysis out in the world and having other creators and viewers interact with it.
Last edited by alittledizzy on Fri May 06, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

LAshleigh wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:50 pm
rizzo wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:38 pm So, like....

So far this is all I've seen them say on the matter: (Also, am I just less mad at him now or are his Twitter replies happier/nicer?)
they are!! i feel the same way - it really feels like he's let a load off and he's like... happy? pretty wild, if you ask me.
literally_formless
butt chair

LAshleigh wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:50 pm (Also, am I just less mad at him now or are his Twitter replies happier/nicer?)
I feel like the arc here might be less TTLMT>BIG>WIQY and more Daniel and Depression>Pizza Mukbang>BIG>WIQY? (The irresistible urge to narrativize real people's lives .....)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I hadn’t picked up on his twitter replies seeming happier, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised. I remember people asking him how he was over the last year or two and his saying he wasn’t doing his best, and I was surprised then cos we thought he was working on his projects, what could be so bad, and after all the stuff he’s learned, done eg therapy for his mental health, and now we know.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lmao love that someone called him out for it
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:52 pm
I would pay money to watch this.
Also, definitely going to his tour. I haven't seen the others despite being a fan since 2012-3ish and I think it's also the first time he's coming to Denmark.

Also, I kinda hope he keeps making longer videos. 1.5 hours is a pretty standard video length for me at this point so I'm very down for that
kavat
pastel persona

So I rewatched TTLMT but I still don't get burn out from it at all. In WIQT at 43:34 he says
On the third of March 2018 I uploaded my last video, as an absolutely not very active youtuber, called: Trying To Live My Truth, in witch I expressed that I literally couldn't write anymore. Make any jokes. Sharing stories from my life. Until I'd dealt with some shit.
Either I am dumb or he is belatedly pinning that meaning to that video, because there is nothing there that I can interpret as him leaving because of burn out. At the time I saw that video as him testing the waters for coming out (I remember seeing the title in the notif and having a small breakdown because I thought it was his coming out video) and later that year he mentioned The June Video which cemented that theory. "In witch I expressed that I literally couldn't write anymore" bitch where. Tell me.

I take that part as him fuzzing the details a little to tell a better story, just like how he said they talked about delaying the house purchase. Pausing some costly renovations, sure, but from what they've told us about buying the house in 2018 it doesn't make sense.

My point is; we know they lie sometimes hoping people won't notice and it's often more funny than annoying, at least to me.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

nøx wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:35 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:52 pm
I would pay money to watch this.
Also, definitely going to his tour. I haven't seen the others despite being a fan since 2012-3ish and I think it's also the first time he's coming to Denmark.

Also, I kinda hope he keeps making longer videos. 1.5 hours is a pretty standard video length for me at this point so I'm very down for that

I could go for less than 90 minutes each time though I will watch as I do a few others of that length (well, one, just Natalie). I very rarely watch even 30 minutes, though maybe I need to find some more interesting people, idk.

The ghost hunting idea would be hilarious for a man too afraid of the dark to go to the loo, at least jokingly in that old video, because he’s terrified of the supernatural while also not believing in it.
Levitating
#relatable

I'm confused: does that twitter reply tell us that Phil will go with him or not?

I found it a super interesting and pivotal thing! This would be the first time in... 10 years? that they spend such amount of time separate from each other!
eevee
emo goose

Oh god, I'm back.

I still need to read everything and I'm only halfway into the video but.........I think Daniel has lost touch with reality.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia