Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I'm going to Orlando - I did not get VIP seats as I don't want to meet him - I mean I do, but I don't. LOL
starsandshards
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

I'm still in two minds about getting tickets. I have a lot of anxiety about travel, travelling alone and so on, so... it seems like it might be too much for my puny self to get to a show, buuuut... I would enjoy it, I'm sure! I think it'll be filmed as well, though, so I could just catch the DVD whenever that's available....

I can't afford VIP but also I'd be terrified to be VIP. Not that Dan is terrifying.
wonderluust
smol bean

Haven't watched dan and phil in ages, and saw Dan's video pop up on youtube - thought he made some very reasonable points and it all sounds very normal and very fair lol. Would take an extraordinary amount of mental gymnastics to twist that into something else. @eeve, and whoever wrote that last wall of text - chill out and get some help, I feel hopeless for you both :/ Maybe at least watch the full video before making assumptions about what goes on in his therapy sessions? jesus. Decided to buy a VIP ticket to support the homie after reading some of the posts here tbh ... the amount of delusional and unhinged rants about his personal life he's prob seen in his days on youtube, I'm surprised anyone wouldn't be depressed!
anna_begins

Got my presale VIP ticket. The venue is in the world's largest masonic temple. It's has this awesome neo-gothic architecture forbodingness about it that will make a great backdrop for a we're all doomed themed show.

It will be my first indoor event since the start of the pandemic. I bought the ticket knowing my covid anxiety might prevent me from attending, but I really want to see him so I'm hoping things work out.
nicky1388
spork

Is anyone else travelling for their show? I have a roughly 3.5 hour drive so I am going to make a weekend of it. Luckily i picked a saturday show.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Got my tickets and did not get a M&G. I don't think I want to meet him? What would I even say? Also, anna-begins, I'll probably wear a mask to the event in November and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

So how will we know how well this tour is selling? I know it doesn't fully go on sale until the 13th. Anyone out there know how tour planners can get a reasonable gauge of how to predict sales and plan for venue sizes and dates? I'm still surprised by the number of dates and the venue sizes. And, if sales are less than expected, do folks usually just size down the venues? I'm not saying that's going to happen, and I want to see Dan regardless, but I'm just curious what artists do if that happens (I am not a Jonas Brothers fan, but I follow someone on Twitter who is, and apparently they are having trouble selling an upcoming Las Vegas show, so that made me curious about what happens in those cases.)
nicky1388
spork

Megancita75 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:13 pm Got my tickets and did not get a M&G. I don't think I want to meet him? What would I even say? Also, anna-begins, I'll probably wear a mask to the event in November and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

So how will we know how well this tour is selling? I know it doesn't fully go on sale until the 13th. Anyone out there know how tour planners can get a reasonable gauge of how to predict sales and plan for venue sizes and dates? I'm still surprised by the number of dates and the venue sizes. And, if sales are less than expected, do folks usually just size down the venues? I'm not saying that's going to happen, and I want to see Dan regardless, but I'm just curious what artists do if that happens (I am not a Jonas Brothers fan, but I follow someone on Twitter who is, and apparently they are having trouble selling an upcoming Las Vegas show, so that made me curious about what happens in those cases.)

I am a BTS fan and I just have always found it helpful to just look at each tour date's seat map. Unless tickets are being held in reserve (which I am pretty sure isn't happening), it seems to be selling decently already for just the presale. Most venues on sale seem to have very few m&g tix left while also having sold some regular seats.

I did notice that bigger cities (eg Orlando) have significantly more sold than some smaller cities.

I PERSONALLY think it is going fine for now. I think the time to worry will be is if in August/September there are still a significant amount of unsold seats.

I also think selling out/having a successful tour is going to be dependent on how much of a youtube/social media comeback Dan makes. Obviously, the hardcore, you-can-release-one-video-every-2-years-and-i-will-come fans are already buying tickets (no hate, i am one of them. lol). i think some more skeptical folks, who think he may just be doing this as a money grab or it'll be another unfulfilled promise of a comeback may wait to see if he is actually following through at all before putting the effort into tix and travel.
Morganaa
drama llama

starsandshards wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:03 pm Posting in a public(ish) forum and then saying no one is allowed to reply is nagl. :shrug:

Edited to clarify my point: a forum is a discussion board for conversation, not for changing anyone's opinions. We all share our own opinions and it's fine, if people disagree that's just how humanity is.
where the heck did I say x obody is allowed to reply"? quote it to me, because I don't remember. I only remember sayin ”please don't reply, there's no point" and then explained why. I never said I forbid anybody to reply.

someone said, why am I so dedicated to the forum about somebody I don't like much - which is exactly the opposite. I just come here from time to time and read a few latest posts outta boredom - which is exactly why i've made only a few post till now, despite having the account for longer. but when I see the posts that make me chuckle, I kinda want to say what I think about all of that. again, point it out, where do you see me bein "so dedicated"? I'm not in the slightest actually. I wouldn't call lurking on a forum every few day a dedication, but, whatever you say my friend.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Boston's VIP doesn't drop today (according to the telecharge person I ended up on the phone with), so idk if I'll end up with M&G, but I did buy some just-in-case seats.

Someone please let me know if the telecharge person was lying to me and there's a way to get VIP for Boston that I was unaware of. That would be a real bittersweet throwback to Boston VIP selling out for TATINOF during the first 5 min of that incredibly poorly scheduled pre-sale. :shrug:

ANYWAY - I'm excited regardless! A thing to look forward to in October! My own personal spooky week, if you will~*
Grey
lady door

I got regular tickets to the Kitchener show! Yahooo! Very excited. I will also almost certainly wear a mask (I do at work anyway). This will be my first time doing any big group thing since the pandemic started and having something to put on my calendar that isn’t stressful is a joy!!
I'm having a stress.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I got in a kerfuffle of waiting for the first London date, it was sold out, then loaded up the second one and didn’t know to put in the punctuation mark at the end of the promo code, then that sold out, then tried Brighton and it threw card errors cos the site was overwhelmed/tickets were selling out as I was loading the page. Then I tried Oxford and finally succeeded, and I added the vip upgrade which is the group hangout, the full vip was called ‘meet and greet package’ and included the show ticket. Confusing cos you could also click on vip upgrade before you’d bought a ticket. Anyway. Will pop along to London and meet up with peeps, there’ll be a bunch of us and some are coming from quite a way away. Oxford is a train or coach ride for me, I can get back that evening, probably. I know one pal going to that show too, so that’s lovely.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Missed the window to edit my post, but I only realised an hour ago that they might only have released a certain amount. I forgot what they might mean by presale. I can’t stretch to any more to see it in London as well, I don’t think, but if there are still loads available, that’ll be nice.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I'm suprised how much UK dates seem to be selling out. At least for Portland, OR and Seattle, WA and some of the mid-sized US cities there seems to be no issue. I wonder if it has to do with audience size here or venue capacities being Large and American.

ETA: I got regular seats for Portland OR - my SO had to convince me to get orchestra seats, I'm cheap and was willing to get the back row. Definitely not shelling out for VIP but hope it sells out and Dan's tour is very successful. the Portland venue is one of the largest in the city.
nicky1388
spork

plinthofmylife wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:31 pm I'm suprised how much UK dates seem to be selling out. At least for Portland, OR and Seattle, WA and some of the mid-sized US cities there seems to be no issue. I wonder if it has to do with audience size here or venue capacities being Large and American.

ETA: I got regular seats for Portland OR - my SO had to convince me to get orchestra seats, I'm cheap and was willing to get the back row. Definitely not shelling out for VIP but hope it sells out and Dan's tour is very successful. the Portland venue is one of the largest in the city.

This! When I read about the UK dates having such trouble, I was surprised. I logged on 20 minutes late and had issues with my card but still snagged a second row m&g seat.

The US venues are on the small side. I think it is maybe a case of his more dedicated fanbase maybe being locals with regards to where he is?

Maybe all the US peeps moved onto K-pop? I am well into kpop (say hi to my two BTS tattoos) but Dan and Phil will always hold a special place in my heart.
anna_begins

There are only 2 presale m&g tickets left in Detroit. I hope some were held back for Friday because some people might not even realize there was a presale.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm going to London (!!) thanks to the planning of a couple of friends who are really making me feel like the luckiest person ever. I've never traveled out of the US, I don't even have a passport, so I guess I gotta get on that??

We woke up just before 4 am to get the tickets and ended up with meet and greet, even though that wasn't originally the plan. The pre-show VIP didn't show up initially, so the m&g were a bit panic bought. I am excited though - I didn't need to meet him but I'm not sad about it, either! It'll add to the general hype of the day.
Megancita75 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:13 pm Got my tickets and did not get a M&G. I don't think I want to meet him? What would I even say? Also, anna-begins, I'll probably wear a mask to the event in November and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Someone I saw was spot checking venue capacities - I think on twitter? Though if it was here correct me! - and said that it seemed like he was aiming for about half the crowd size as II. If someone is ambitious enough they could make a list of venues and capacities.... it might be me, I might be that ambitious, though it probably won't be for a few days.
ArtyJim
glabella

does anyone know the difference between the bronze, silver, and gold vip tickets?
kavat
pastel persona

I got vip for London and regular ticket for Stockholm! It'll be so fun to go to London and meet a bunch of people from here and twitter :elephant:

The IDB meetup in Stockholm for II was my first venture into meeting internet friends, and now I have so many more, so I'm really looking forward to it!
nicky1388
spork

ArtyJim wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:55 pm does anyone know the difference between the bronze, silver, and gold vip tickets?
Gold - pre show hang, photo op, soundcheck? (How does a comedian soundcheck), and merch bag plus a seat in first ten rows
Silver - pre show hang, excellent ticket (usually this means first 20 rows), merch bag, soundcheck
Bronze - merch bag.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

alittledizzy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:46 pm I've never traveled out of the US, I don't even have a passport, so I guess I gotta get on that??
Unsolicited advice: apply asap, it’s quite common right now to wait up to 6 months to get stuff back from the state department. Speaking as someone who has had to deal with a lot of that recently. Excited for you to go to London and leave the US!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Just a quick post before I read back on what's happened today, we always have a subforum for any tours that happen just because we love reading people's reviews, any photos or just chat about a particular show in general. The new subforum for Daniel Howell: We're All Doomed can now be found here.

Sorry in advance if there is any typos (& all date formats are in UK I'm afraid).

Enjoy <3
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

eevee wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:34 pm I genuinely didn't realize that me saying all this would be so controversial. To me, it was blatantly insulting and out of touch. It's hard for me to understand how all of you are so sympathetic when Daniel came off as so ungrateful. I don't have an issue with the content of his video in general, I have an issue with his (in my opinion) failure to recognize how fortunate he is, despite all these issues. If he had approached the topic in a way that indicated that more fully, I would be less upset.

Not only that, he complained about our behavior in the peak of his celebrity. I realize a lot of you feel he redeemed himself with his "but people want to have fun!" statement, but I would personally have hoped that in all this reflection, he could have grown more and said more things that had a genuinely grateful sentiment. I personally have spent hundreds of dollars on Daniel between merch, tour tickets, vidcon tickets and flights, etc - never mind the hours and hours of his content I've watched to fund his ad revenue. And this is the thanks I get? Even years later, when you're trying to tell me you've grown and gone to therapy? Insulting. People like me are a huge reason why Daniel's life has been so privileged, but he thinks we're a destructive internet army trying to out him for "lols." And he expects me to buy MORE tour tickets after that?

This is why I'm so upset. If you want your audience to continue to fund your lifestyle, you should at least keep your negativity about them behind closed doors.
Firstly, hello Eevee it's so nice to see you back here. I always love it when Dan does something because it brings people back to the forum. I hope you have been keeping well.

I read your take on the first half of the video and then I went back and listened to the video again (I actually found it more enjoyable listening than watching it). I really don't get the impression from him that he is ungrateful at all. I can imagine at times, how invasive and stressful leading this army of people (the phandom) must have bene, especially when he says he felt like he couldn't like things because then there would be comments/hot takes on said liked thing. If you look back the phandom was particularly wild at times, sometimes it was funny but other times it was completely awful. Remember when there was that rumour that 4Chan was going to attack D&P's internet, oh how the phandom loved a drama and loved hyping this up. These things weren't always just one off's either, there was a lot of quite invasive stuff that happened, mostly now it seems to have died down but I assume this is because they also lost a lot of people to other, more active fandoms or people did just grow up. I do hope you have watched the second half of the video. There is so much compassion, explanation, reasons why he builds up with the whole background. Watching the dispair on his face about what happened made me feel so sorry for him, you can see how open and honest he is being about the whole situation.

I know I have been vocal in the past about Dan disappearing, releasing a book and then disappearing again for months. Have I said how annoying I found that, how rude it felt that he would post, make his money and then go again? Yes, I hold my hands up and say I did. Now there is context to why he did all of that and well I have all the sympathy now. It sounds horrible what happened to him and I hope that YTO hang their head in shame how they treated him and the darkness he found himself in because of it. I wish he had been able to tell us all of this ages ago, it definitely would have made a LOT of people less angry at him in general but now I understand why he was not able to do so.
Catallena wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:41 pm Anyway.

WHO GOT TICKETS?
I DID, I DID. Ummmmm maybe to a couple of shows (ahem6). Got VIP for some of them and will be going with a bunch of friends I made on here / on twitter. Ahhhh I can't wait, I love the touring aspect of a fandom. I am taking this as a full opportunity to travel to some nice places and do some sightseeing. I wanted to get Belfast and Frankfurt as well today but they did not seem to have a pre-sale so will try for them on Friday. I would really LOVE to go to one of the American dates but I will just see those ones nearer the time, depends on how well I do with saving my pennies.

I have to say though, the pre-sales for UK were still giving out VIP over an hour after they went on sale which indicates to me they didn't sell as well as the D&P shows. I got York VIP 1.5 hours after the presale started (second row tickets for 4 people) and then Friday London well over 2 hours later. If anyone was looking for tickets for the Friday or Wednesday London they have them, you just need to search for 2 tickets instead of one or three... Me and 3 friends weren't able to get them at first but when we did 2 separate bookings it worked just fine.

Edited to say - I am really interested to know how well the tickets sold. He basically released the video and the tickets went on sale very quickly imo. He has been tweeting and engaging a lot with the fanbase which is good to see however I still also see a lot of people who have left the phandom who havent returned. I stayed friends with them outside of the phandom and they are almost in a place where they have lost trust that he is coming back for real. I wonder if over time, if he does upload again in a short space of time, if that will encourage people to buy tickets at a later date.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
tinaoe
crusty sponge

nicky1388 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:59 pm Is anyone else travelling for their show? I have a roughly 3.5 hour drive so I am going to make a weekend of it. Luckily i picked a saturday show.
German presale doesn't start at all until Wednesday, but I assume I'll be able to snag some pretty comfortably. It'll be a 3-ish hour trip by train to Berlin so I'm still debating on whether I should turn it into a full weekend
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:46 pm

Someone I saw was spot checking venue capacities - I think on twitter? Though if it was here correct me! - and said that it seemed like he was aiming for about half the crowd size as II. If someone is ambitious enough they could make a list of venues and capacities.... it might be me, I might be that ambitious, though it probably won't be for a few days.
This may have been me on twt? I started a spreadsheet to compare venue sizes but got side-tracked, I'll see if I'm feeling motivated to finish it later today.

Presales don't start for my venue for another couple of days but my nerves definitely kicked up a couple of notches watching everyone scramble for tickets yesterday! Hearing people talk about travelling to see it is making me really tempted to go on a road trip and see it in another city as well...
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

I missed the window for presale tickets in Copenhagen because I didn't watch the video for two days (had to wait for my partner who is totally not emotionally invested in Daniel :lol:)
But the regular tickets go on sale Friday and we're gonna be ready

Edit: i suddenly had a horrible feeling and went to check the venue website and the tickets were already up for sale!! (??)
So we have them now :shock: