Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dontpanic
#relatable

eevee wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:34 pm
anna_begins wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:44 am I'm curious, did you ever get around to watching the second half of the video? Because his conclusion is that despite the issues he has with it, he loves the platform and loves being a youtuber, and lists all the reasons why he thinks it's great and the steps he's taking to make it so he doesn't get overwhelmed with the things he dislikes.
I did not, but I definitely plan to eventually. I'm trying to cool down because that first half really made me angry. I'm glad to hear that that is his conclusion!

I'm going to be blunt... it's wild to me that you haven't even finished the video? I'm not saying ppl shouldn't post if they haven't seen it, everyone has opinions and if you only want to watch the first part that's more than cool............. but writing a long analysis directly judging his character... I personally don't have the confidence to do something like that if I haven't even watched the video.

not a 1:1 comparison at all, but I'm reminded of how my grandparents walked out of JoJo's Rabbit halfway through. when the film won an oscar they wouldn't stop talking about how bad of a movie it was and how anyone who likes it is tasteless. in my head I'm just like *!!omg of course you didn't like it, you never saw the payoff!!!!!!* and Yes, maybe they still wouldn't have liked it once they finished it, but if they're going to be so passionately negative anyways at least they'd have an informed opinion.

I'm not even disagreeing with everything you said, I too found some parts of the first half of his video a bit woe-is-me (specifically about the trouble making rent when they first moved to London. rent insecurity is a horrible feeling and it's not like he can't express it, but my sympathy is low bc they were in this really nice apartment while up until a few years ago I lived in a studio apartment where the bathroom was technically in the kitchen). But his whole long-winded lead up was to give context for his explanation to his audience, something people have been asking for. It was meant to show the progression of how he viewed his relationship with his job, to tell us why he made the decisions and mistakes that led him to his extended hiatus. whether he succeeded or not is up for debate.

the very final part of his video, for example, directly talks about how he's moving forward, stuff that includes things a person does when trying to climb out of a depressive episode. you're speaking so passionately about his depression/relationship with his therapist/etc., yet you only have half the story. And he also speaks quite a bit at the end about how he's grateful for the platform to even exist and just because he had negative experiences doesn't mean he resents it, and he does so quite genuinely imo. if you saw the full video, you'd see he says the very things you look for.

I hate how I'm wasting my time defending a rich white boy, especially since this video does have room for valid criticism, but we all gotta do embarrassing things sometimes.

maybe your opinion won't change once you have seen the full thing, and that's totally reasonable! but at least you'd be fully informed on the topic?
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

kavat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:21 pm
Lucy Moon posted a little on her stories, or more accurately posted other peoples comments
I just had the realization that there might be more layers to Lucy's posts, as she has been working on a project for the last year that hasn't turned into something yet. She announced that she's working on a brand called Hours London in June 2021, I think it's a lifestyle/merch thing. In partner with - you guessed it - IRL. She announced it last year and nothing has happened since, she has answered q's here and there that she's still working on it but that it's taking longer than she thought. Oh the irony.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:07 am
kavat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:21 pm
Lucy Moon posted a little on her stories, or more accurately posted other peoples comments
I just had the realization that there might be more layers to Lucy's posts, as she has been working on a project for the last year that hasn't turned into something yet. She announced that she's working on a brand called Hours London in June 2021, I think it's a lifestyle/merch thing. In partner with - you guessed it - IRL. She announced it last year and nothing has happened since, she has answered q's here and there that she's still working on it but that it's taking longer than she thought. Oh the irony.
I'm sure the double whammy of covid and brexit really got in the way of a lot of the business side of things, but also somehow hearing that IRL is dropping the ball on things for other creators doesn't shock me?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

There’s a tasty bum indeed. I love a good malteser.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil lives... and is in Florida!
What do we think on the odds of Dan being there? I think everything is delayed so maybe they flew in yesterday, and that's why his reminders about ticket presales were at weird times hours after the sales actually went live?
phancon
delia smith

alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 pm What do we think on the odds of Dan being there? I think everything is delayed so maybe they flew in yesterday, and that's why his reminders about ticket presales were at weird times hours after the sales actually went live?
i would absolutely want a holiday after the anxiety of releasing a video/tour sale, so i'm gonna say it's likely.

also, for those interested in other youtuber's responses, wheezywaiter posted a blog post inspired by/responding to dan (and hank's) video!
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Dan's been active today on his danisnotinteresting channel. He created a "vintage livestreams" playlist. Not sure if he deleted anything.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

anna_begins wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:17 pm Dan's been active today on his danisnotinteresting channel. He created a "vintage livestreams" playlist. Not sure if he deleted anything.
okay but his description for the playlist lmao
A playlist of all the vintage livestreams that spammed this channel, for if you want to leave some conversation on in the background so the people in your life think you have a friend to talk to, but I guess this friend is very rude because it's like an hour of one-sided conversation, like who is this guy that is just talking non stop referencing all this popculture from several years ago and keeps calling you different names, you need better friends, this is an intervention, leave this Dan guy behind and move on with your life you know you're better than this you've learned and grown and you stand up for yourself and set boundaries and do things on your terms, you can do it, I believe in you, you can manifest your dreams and live life on your terms, what are you waiting for? Go!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Mayhap I love that playlist description a teensy, tiny bit.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

oh MORE

kavat
pastel persona

Well that notif was even less expected than the dinof one!
tigertatze
living flop

why did a quick #spon for the tour make me so happy
#nohetero
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

He seems so happy. Like in his replies to people, his playlist description, even just how he worded his thanks to the people who captioned his video ("Caption endurance champions class of 2022"). After watching the promo, I'm even more excited for the tour. I know dark humor isn't for everyone, but I think in general the next few months are going to be a fun time for the phandom.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

He didn't go wild with responses, but this one made me laugh.
nicky1388
spork

he seems lighter and brighter for all his doom and gloom and self deprecation. this look is good on him.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I actually forgot what It was like to have Dan active, I keep being jumpscared by notifs he posted
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ah, I love the video and the playlist description is hilarious. I shared the video in my various streamer and umbrella academy fandom discords with a list of content warnings for all the doom, idk if people will watch, but I love sharing their videos. Dan’s still got such a place in my heart. I mentioned the shoe-choosing part to my mum and how they make him taller and she said ‘he’s already really tall’ so look at that, she does take in some of my going on about them.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Ok that BTS vid made me feel SO MUCH better about having bought a tour tix as someone who is very much an optimist and struggles with dark humor. I really felt that there is going to be a good balance and I am reassured that I won’t walk out of the theater feeling depressed. Also, that vid was just really well produced and I hope there is more where that comes from. Such good vibes overall!
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I haven't watched the whole video yet (not the video's fault, I don't have time for anything these days) but I'm so glad he explained everything. I was pretty sad about him seemingly vanishing for such a long time and I think at the time that was valid, but knowing everything that went on now I feel much different. I'm sad for him, but I'm also excited to see what he does in the future and where he'll take his career after this. But first of all I wish him good luck with this tour of course.

I'm not getting tickets to the tour because I can't make it work financially at the moment so I'm counting on y'all to write reviews, haha. (I hope it's gonna be filmed though, I'd love to watch it on a screen at least. I stumbled across my copy of II the other day and it was such a nostalgic moment because I was sure we wouldn't see either of them perform live again, yet here we are!)

I haven't posted here in months but I also wanna say, I still watch every new Phil video and I still really like his content. It's so wild to me how he and Dan are the only Youtube creators I've always come back to for a whole decade now. I think they've really build a special community and that's probably also why Dan could dissappear and come back like this and we're all still showing up for him. I wouldn't call it privilege really because this is something he (and Phil too of course) has worked for hard for years and years. Loyal audiences don't just appear out of nowhere, they clearly did something right. <3

Edit: And I'm still a stress mushroom, lovely!
shan
morning quiff

I loved the video promo, it really did bring a much more light-hearted tone to the show than the written description provided. I was already excited just to see him live but that's really made me all the more hyped for the show as well! Presale tickets opened here this morning and after a very stressful 15 minutes I managed to get some pretty good seats! Can't wait!! But I'm going to have to because it's a looooong time before he gets to my stop :lol:
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Why does he have to be so charismatic? I was perfectly happy not going to a show because 1) covid and 2) I didn't want to drive to Detroit alone, but one promotional video and now I'm looking into tickets.

He just seems really happy. It's a good look on him.
kavat
pastel persona

Incredibly on brand of him to bring a suitcase of clothes only to end up with the most basic thing :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan just followed London Pride on instagram! Wonder if he's planning on doing stuff with them again?
nilidh
tol bean
Pronouns: he/him

For Dan, I of course hope that the tour is thoroughly sold out by August. From a purely selfish POV, I hope that there's still tickets left as that's when I'll probably be able to buy! Like a few other folk, I didn't go to either ii (had kind of fallen off the dnp fandom by then, plus the singing-dancing part didn't really appeal to me), but I'm so genuinely intrigued by Dan's solo tour. I remember him describing himself as a comic or a comedian a number of years ago (to a few raised eyebrows, haha), so I wonder if the tour is his way of pivoting to that kind of role. I'm keen at any rate!