Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

gnostic
stress mushroom

I logged in for the first time in god knows how long to say i love Phil fucking Lester so fucking much. He's still all that and more.
Just here for the marketing skills
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

I cannot stop laughing at Phil making everyone look at the hot doctor's Facebook pictures. Bless this man.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

onemoresock wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:04 pm I’ll be honest, that video made me laugh so hard that I cried. The energy felt so classic dnp games, but with less screaming and more instances of Dan trying to break NDAs for fun.
I feel the same. I had to listen to it instead of watch on my way to the dentist because of course it came out right as I was leaving the house but also...I loved it. It felt like they made it for the phandom, like PINOF or some DNP games stuff. Not like the stuff dan makes now that has to be so grand it trends and reaches beyond his core audience (which is great art, I wouldn't give up BIG for the world) but like, it was nice to just have cozy DNP time.

Absolutely none of the tea surprised me EXCEPT a little bit Phil making out with a girl. But who hasn't had a night in our early 20s where we wandered around drunk til 3AM in a foreign city and made out with a stranger who put a cigarette in our mouth.

I want people's theories on which of the biggest things they did they were contractually obligated to do. I'm gonna guess the BAFTAs, except I don't know if they consider that a Big Thing They did.
Grey
lady door

I loved it too. I found it very funny and I was relieved it wasn’t anything serious, honestly. Just silly but actually kind of scandalous too! (I was scandalized by the incident in the restaurant in Zurich :lol: )

I wonder if Dan and Phil Go Outside might be the project they didn’t want to do? I have it haha. But it seems like kind of a low effort thing and if they had a contract from the first book, that might be how they were forced to do it?
I'm having a stress.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Grey wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 pm I wonder if Dan and Phil Go Outside might be the project they didn’t want to do? I have it haha. But it seems like kind of a low effort thing and if they had a contract from the first book, that might be how they were forced to do it?
ohhhh that is an excellent point! I kinda forget about DAPGO because it was so minor in the scale of big stuff they do (though it is an excellent resource for fanfiction). I can't imagine they were required to sign an NDA about a 2 book deal though.

I so want to guess who the famous straight woman celebrity was, but maybe that's just too much of a sh*tshow of speculation. They have met a lot of high profile pop stars.
literally_formless
butt chair

It's an interesting idea that the thing they didn't want to do is DAPGO. I can see them not wanting to sully its memory because they positioned it as something really for the fans, got that photographer to follow them around, did events for it, etc., that people feel so fondly about - Phil might really not want us to now start seeing as something they gritted their teeth through and endured.

I looked up how the deals for TABINOF and DAPGO were announced. They were announced over a year apart, but it's likely it was a two-book deal from the start. Their other best option at the time for a second book really would've been an emotional tell-all memoir, and we know they were never going to do that. Could've done a how-to book, but maybe the concept for that seemed too niche (not just people who love them, but people who love them and also want to .... be YouTubers? be English nerds? what else would their brand have been in 2016?).
gnostic
stress mushroom

gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:29 pm I logged in for the first time in god knows how long to say i love Phil fucking Lester so fucking much. He's still all that and more.
But on top of everything else amazing about him, Phil going into full "business Phil" mode was a special gift to me for real

Also I'm truly out of touch with the youth of today because with their every video I'm just like "these bitches gayer and gayer" meanwhile the twitter phandom is like "damn I guess it all proves they weren't a thing after all"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:58 pm
Grey wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 pm I wonder if Dan and Phil Go Outside might be the project they didn’t want to do? I have it haha. But it seems like kind of a low effort thing and if they had a contract from the first book, that might be how they were forced to do it?
ohhhh that is an excellent point! I kinda forget about DAPGO because it was so minor in the scale of big stuff they do (though it is an excellent resource for fanfiction). I can't imagine they were required to sign an NDA about a 2 book deal though.

I so want to guess who the famous straight woman celebrity was, but maybe that's just too much of a sh*tshow of speculation. They have met a lot of high profile pop stars.
The thing about DAPGO is that it meant they had to essentially do a social media embargo while on that leg of the tour, and it SUUUUUUUCKED. Like... they barely posted pictures. They saved all of that shit for the book instead of putting things on instagram.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 pm Also I'm truly out of touch with the youth of today because with their every video I'm just like "these bitches gayer and gayer" meanwhile the twitter phandom is like "damn I guess it all proves they weren't a thing after all"
Seriously. It's like the last year of Danandphilgames - they were just fully out there, gaying it up, and it seemed so high key - and then some people watch that and take away the complete opposite like "oh they were still so closeted"

You know what this felt like? a much better version of that weird Couples Therapy thing the BBC had them do back in the day.
gnostic
stress mushroom

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:26 pm
gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 pm Also I'm truly out of touch with the youth of today because with their every video I'm just like "these bitches gayer and gayer" meanwhile the twitter phandom is like "damn I guess it all proves they weren't a thing after all"
Seriously. It's like the last year of Danandphilgames - they were just fully out there, gaying it up, and it seemed so high key - and then some people watch that and take away the complete opposite.

You know what this felt like? a much better version of that weird Couples Therapy thing the BBC had them do back in the day.
It's not like I'd swear an affidavit that they are a couple but I guess I'm too much of an old gay for "gay men ostensibly in a relationship publicly thirst over other hotties" to register on my radar as an issue in any way lol
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:29 pm I'm too much of an old gay for "gay men ostensibly in a relationship publicly thirst over other hotties" to register on my radar as an issue in any way lol
Absolutely. Like... that's 90% of my gay couple friends, especially ones who have been a relationship for a long time, even some of my straight-ish friends. That's definitely me and my partner, especially if they're not someone reasonably attainable (doctor, celebrity).
shan
morning quiff

I loved it so, so, so much, that was everything I needed after an 8 month joint content drought. Phil is such a delight and just watching them banting again was everything I needed and more. If every 'episode' has a guest and it’s just Phil each time, I will genuinely be so happy. I love them.

Interesting insights about DAPGO, I wasn't around at the time but I love DAPGO and go back to it a lot. I can understand how that would've been frustrating for followers at the time though and can also see how it's maybe not something that would meet dnp's quality content standards, especially Dan's.
soveinco
drama llama

In terms of the project they were contractually forced to do, I think maybe it was the TATINOF documentary, "Dan and Phil's Story of TATINOF." While I love it and it's got some amazing moments, it's not very them in general: the talking heads segments, very generic editing with them saying lots of soundbites with a neat little narrative arc. It's just very...packaged. Maybe they wanted to do a deal with YouTube Red for them to film the show, but then YouTube was like, sure, but we're going to get a "two for the price of one" out of you, so they would have more to lock up on Red.

(Ngl, watching the documentary IS actually why I got YouTube premium, sooooo.... it worked on some people, at least!)

An NDA about contract terms with YouTube Red seems more likely than an NDA with a book publisher, to me. (This is mostly just a vibes-based guess, but idk).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie