Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Image credit: pinof.tumblr.com
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Levitating
#relatable

Thank you for opening this new thread!

I enjoy the shorts but not too much in the sense that I would like them to be more personal, rather than just silly ones.
Just my taste!
kavat
pastel persona

Nice new thread name! We had the last one for so long.

Please Phil, I'm starving for some actual sustenance. I was hoping he would post the video a little earlier but maybe he's waiting until his actual birthday?
phancon
delia smith

I'm wondering if phil's going to wait until the beginning of february to post a video tbh. another creator i follow has also only been putting out shorts this month, and when pressed he said that one of the reasons for it was that the adsense in january is so poor that it doesn't make much sense from a monetary/business point to release a longer video in january. i've seen others too release a video, but admit within the video that they probably won't be making much off of ad revenue. shorts on the other hand, apparently still do fairly well, it seems.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

phancon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:20 am I'm wondering if phil's going to wait until the beginning of february to post a video tbh. another creator i follow has also only been putting out shorts this month, and when pressed he said that one of the reasons for it was that the adsense in january is so poor that it doesn't make much sense from a monetary/business point to release a longer video in january. i've seen others too release a video, but admit within the video that they probably won't be making much off of ad revenue. shorts on the other hand, apparently still do fairly well, it seems.
That's legit. I do think he'll release it on or just before his birthday (hopefully??) otherwise the timing will feel slightly off, but even so I am not super surprised he's not pushing himself too hard this month. Taking a little break is probably good for his health, especially if he's still cycling through doctors and treatments, and it makes sense for him to do it during the time when he'd have the lowest revenue from it.

Speaking of youtube revenue - I follow a creator that does a video every year on what youtube pays her, and she just posted hers for 2021. She is a smaller creator that has just over 250k subscribers and did not have a single video hit a million views last year, and her adsense revenue for the year was $98,000. Phil has more views per video, a handful of videos with over a million subs, does not post content that might get de-monetized, and has a well-established engaged audience plus is a part of the youtube preferred tier of content creators (I can't remember what they call that, does anyone?) so that doesn't really tell us an upper limit for what he made but there's absolutely no way he's pulling in less than six figures on views alone. Throw in the brand deals, the membership money, what youtube paid them for Hometown Showdown, plus merch sales... yeah, Dan and Phil are doing totally fine.

Speaking of brand deals: she also said that her lowest paid brand deal was $1000 and her highest was $9000, for another lower limit on what Phil could possibly make from brand deals. My gut says he's making way, way, way more than 9k for anything that makes it to his channel though. (Here is her video if anyone wants to watch it.)
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Looks like the video might be coming soon! Maybe tomorrow?
kavat
pastel persona

I didn't expect them to be wrapped! And with tags! I expected a VPMO style where dan just throws random stuff at phil, this is way cuter.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Reminder for anyone interested, this weekend is the PhandomWatch charity livestream!
Levitating
#relatable

Do you know how many people connected last year and how much it was raised?

Cannot wait for the new video! I realise that I come here to be updated on the boys rather than going to their own social media pages
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Bless Dan and his mischievous horny ways.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And the tweet counterpart:
With replies:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

also because i want the detective work here
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

More detective work!
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Is this the first year we didn't get a happy birthday tweet from Dan? I know he rt'd Phil's post, but normally he posts something of his own right? I'm assuming there's no imminent video coming from him then, since that would be some easy engagement.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I've missed phandom detectives analyzing every millimeter in the background of photos :lilheart:

I hadn't thought of this yet, but Phil giving up coffee made the purchase of that super expensive espresso machine even more hilarious than it already was. Did Dan put the coffee book there to taunt the poor man??

We got a new Short! Which is not the video I want...

His hair is WILD rn! Quite long with his roots out on full display.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

New member post from Phil!
AmazingPhil wrote:Hey cacti cake-slices!

I’m currently editing my new video in the midst of a cake induced sugar rush! It will be out early to mid THIS WEEK. Could be tomorrow, could be Wednesday.. only time will tell (and the number of cake breaks)
It’s a ‘viewers pick my birthday presents’ and I’m trying to figure out how to show a certain gift without being fully demonetised so I may have to get my blur tool out(!!) Cheers for that.
There’s also not one, but two outfit changes! A real adventure.

I had a lovely birthday! I got to hang with some peeps I haven’t seen in a while and Dan gifted me a waffle machine which I don’t think was an entirely selfless present. I also got some birthday cake cereal (which tasted how you would imagine) and some Japanese plum Sake (which I wouldn’t recommend pairing with birthday cake cereal). I also got some ‘galaxy flowers’ from my friend which look like they have grown directly inside my brain.

I actually went outside for a birthday river walk too. A highlight was witnessing a swimming rat, how very London!

Anyway hope you’re all well, swell and you don’t smell, and thanks for all the birthday wishes across all of the internet 🥳💜

*releases a party popper in your general direction*
LAshleigh
cheeky #spon

What a wholesome update. Cornelia has an Instagram story of her family celebrating Phil's B-day, do we think there are other people Phil was referring to as people he hasn't seen in a while?

Very excited for the upcoming video! It feels like we've known about it for quite some time so hopefully it lives up to my ever-growing expectations haha
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Cornelia posted some sweet insta stories, including one with Freja playing Dan's piano and one where they are quietly (well as quiet as Dan can get lol) singing happy birthday to Phil (Freja fell asleep so they're trying not to wake her).
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Wasn't sure about posting the stories but:
I am a very big puddle of soft after hearing Dan's whisper vocal rendition of Happy Birthday :happytears:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm very glad you saved those stories - I need Dan singing softly to Phil in my life forever.

Speaking of Phil.

Cmon, my dude, it's February now, the adsense is surely better, give us the videoooo.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

He posted a new short today instead of the video. There was a community post that just said video tomorrow. For posterity, here's the short:

But I gotta be honest, the shorts are kind of annoying me at this point. I love the concept of them but I don't love that he's basically just decided his yt shorts content will be him using a filter. It's... boring. It's boring and it's frustrating because I get excited to see his face and then realize there's nothing entertaining or fulfilling about it. I know he has a creative brain inside that alien skull and it wouldn't take much to apply just a tiny fraction of that to shorts, without even needing to get personal or overshare. But. No. Instead we get would you rather filters.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m just glad he’s not ghosting us
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:21 pm I’m just glad he’s not ghosting us
This is true. I mean, this is definitely better than nothing. It's just... not as good as many other things, I guess? lmao
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yeah all these Shorts with filters should just be Instagram Story content, but he doesn't even crosspost them there which I still don't get it all. I'm sure it'd annoy some people but why not get engagement on multiple platforms with just one video? Is that in the contract with YouTube or something? By now it's save to say the Shorts aren't doing much for Phil either. The now semi-regular posting on that channel has not improved engagement or views since he started it. I bet his engagement on Instagram is much higher. I'm sure there are other things he can do with Shorts that can be exclusive on there.

This upcoming video better be good. Guess I'll wait another day, it's fine. I'm fine.

But the long time it takes for Phil to edit with his health concerns and stuff should be another reason to get some help from an editor.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

I can't imagine engagement was his real goal with shorts since he's put them on his second channel that he otherwise doesn't use. The only way it really makes sense is if he does still have some kind of deal with YouTube separate from the monetisation the shorts earn on their own account since his views aren't really high enough to get him any profit at all.

I do like that we're getting something from him, I'll watch the filter videos once and they'll usually make me smile but I'd love it if he used them for something less instagram-y. His best shorts have mostly come from viewer ideas and I still see so many great ideas commented under these posts so hopefully he'll take some and run with them again.

Re: an editor, what ever happened to the one he got to edit some of the earlier shorts? It seemed like Phil never really gave him a serious trial since he was only given clips from old insta stories that required minimal editing to work with. I hope it wasn't because of negative reactions from the community, if he could use a bit of help I think it would be a worthwhile thing to look into properly.