Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm enthralled by this "spicy" reveal. But not for the obvious reason. Like - of course I want them to talk about their relationship, tell me they're married, reveal they have a dog, kiss on camera, idk whatever. Of course I want that and even the tiniest reveal ("we're about to celebrate 13 years together") would make me fully lose my mind.

But even if it's not any of that and it's just Phil confessing he actually likes cheese now? Kiiiiinda love the general lack of insanity from phandom. Like, obviously, we're a smaller bunch now and there's a strong handful of folks here and on twitter who are on the edge of their seats. But I picture Dan saying this even in 2019... and we would simply explode. Now it feels like.. if it is something interest, it won't be headline news and that's kinda fun!!
JLynne
drama llama

Did Dan say when the next video will be up? I know he was editing on Sunday...
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

JLynne wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:50 pm Did Dan say when the next video will be up? I know he was editing on Sunday...
He didn’t sound like he’d finished editing during the live show on Sunday night, and mentioned that it would be in the next few days (which realistically means any time between now and his first show 😂)
phancon
delia smith

Grey wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:15 pm Changing topic, I was surprised by Dan announcing the substantial change to the Oxford / Cambridge tour dates in buried in the middle of a live show with “only” 5k people watching. That’s not a great place to announce that and it’s very close to when the original date was!! I won’t pretend to be a tour sales expert because I’m certainly not, so I don’t know if rescheduling it was a reasonable thing to do or not. I was just struck by the strange placement of the announcement in the live show. I feel like it would have been better if he recorded a little message and they sent it to the people who had bought tickets for the affected shows.
to be fair, he did say there were emails going out to affected people in the liveshow, so it's not like that was the only way you could find out. and he only found out about it himself that day, so i'm not sure how much say he had in it tbh. but i do think a few tweets or something would've been better to talk about it.
Grey
lady door

phancon wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:23 pm
Grey wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:15 pm Changing topic, I was surprised by Dan announcing the substantial change to the Oxford / Cambridge tour dates in buried in the middle of a live show with “only” 5k people watching. That’s not a great place to announce that and it’s very close to when the original date was!! I won’t pretend to be a tour sales expert because I’m certainly not, so I don’t know if rescheduling it was a reasonable thing to do or not. I was just struck by the strange placement of the announcement in the live show. I feel like it would have been better if he recorded a little message and they sent it to the people who had bought tickets for the affected shows.
to be fair, he did say there were emails going out to affected people in the liveshow, so it's not like that was the only way you could find out. and he only found out about it himself that day, so i'm not sure how much say he had in it tbh. but i do think a few tweets or something would've been better to talk about it.

Yeah it sounded like he didn’t have much/ any say in the matter. I imagine that would be so stressful for Dan too as a person who I assume wants everyone to have a good time- and also as a person who typically seems to have a lot of control over his projects.
I'm having a stress.
whatever
first-time poster

i know this is not really on topic and maybe weird for this to be my first post, but i’ve been quietly hanging out here for many years and thought some of you might be interested:)

does anyone remember myles aka itsamemyleo? i just watched an hour long video of his that was first shown at the edinbourgh fringe online and then posted on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpCnMbmz85o (sorry idk how links work). it reminded me a lot of what i like best about dan (mainly LMT and BIG-era), talking about serious issues in a funny and kind of rambling way, would seriously recommend!

it also made me think about the possibility of content which is – from my perspective as someone who was primarily engaged in the early 2010s-british-yt-community – extremely youtube-like. except youtube doesn’t really appreciate longform and non-clickbaity content anymore, and many old youtubers including our very own daniel howell have clearly been struggling with the many algorithmic shifts. i wonder if this could be a solution? that “youtube-videos” could be it’s own categories of short films, shown in festivals etc? would be interesting to see dan to do something like that, retaining the style he (imo) does best, but still free to explore and present it to a different audience
Last edited by whatever on Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Couldn’t sleep so watched the liveshow and I really liked it, I forgot how much I used to enjoy them even if younow often made him look like he was being beamed in from the space station. It was nice that it was a bit like the old days but far less stressful without the outing panic, it was nice to see him laugh a lot.

I’ll tune in for more of them, have to see on the yt show, more for the nostalgia of seeing him after so long than any spicy takes. I am too tired for stressful spicy takes at this point, just show me your weird green juice and fancy wardrobe and I’m happy enough tbh
ArtyJim
glabella

I hate being negative but that was the most painful dnp video I've ever watched. Dan's over-the-top persona makes me cringe so bad. I also find his set so ugly??

(If anyone's looking to buy a gold vip ticket for dan's show in mesa, az let me know lol)
auroraaaaaa
not a first-time poster

hello i have watched dnp since 2014 and have been lurking forever but made an account just to talk about the recent video ...

i feel so weird about it and idk why?? i feel like their interactions seemed so forced and almost cruel (from dan's end) - maybe because of the persona he is putting on

however phil made me laugh a lot, he was great and they did reveal some fun stuff

idk very mixed and strange feelings.

so excited to hear everyone else's thoughts! i needed to immediately vent lol, i haven't felt like this about one of their vids before
dumbslet
tol bean

i mean, that was always going to be clickbait. i wonder if there'll be more dnp on dystopia daily but the way he ended the video didn't make it seem particularly likely (did he say four parts per episode? but idk if he meant he'd have one guest per episode).

thoughts:
1) phil got thicc
2) phil hates talking about himself on the internet and hates talking about his personal life on the internet and it will literally never change
3) that had the same dnp vibes i remember, and i enjoyed it despite being about seven years older than when i first enjoyed their videos! i still find dan pretty cringe (but i always have to an extent) but phil balances him out well.
4) none of the tea phil spilled about dan surprised me, esp re: dan not wanting to do the tour/dapg. phil's always managed and compartmentalised his youtube persona a lot better than dan, and dan being overwhelmed by all of these things really doesn't surprise me in the slightest
5) all y'all that figured out the 2 flats theory are incredible
6) i don't think any of that tea was particularly good, but considering the fact that what people really want to know (and what they've acknowledged people want to know) is a) if they fucked b) if they're fucking c) if they're fucking anyone else, i think any tea will pale in comparison. over the years i've revised what i believe about their relationship (not that it matters really) based on my own experience with my ex-girlfriend/roommate/best friend and i personally suspect part of the reason they don't talk about it (phil's reticence aside) is because it's probably not straightforward.

eta: I was reading my comment from may when dan first emerged and i had the impression then that dan was going to make sad gay shit, and i was wholeheartedly into that. this dystopia daily looks like dan's pivoted away from sad gay shit and gone into 'here's me trying to make myself relevant again, except i'm openly taking the piss out of myself for it so you can't' - which, fine, make whatever you want obvs, but i'm so tired of his doom and gloom persona when it feels like a schtick, and not a very good one. i remember thinking he'd be great if he made something like simon amstell's grandma's house, but instead we have dystopia daily, which doesn't pack the punches i thought it might. i don't know if i'm supposed to find it funny - am i missing the humour? i don't know if i'm supposed to relate - i mean yeah, the world is shit, but i'm also not a burnt out influencer trying to be relevant again. i don't know if i'm supposed to enjoy watching him feel really awkward - all i get from those awkward scenes is secondhand awkwardness/embarrassment and not in a way where it's painful but funny? idk
Last edited by dumbslet on Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onemoresock
drama llama
Pronouns: she/they/he

I’ll be honest, that video made me laugh so hard that I cried. The energy felt so classic dnp games, but with less screaming and more instances of Dan trying to break NDAs for fun.
*blows kiss* for dop and pop
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

oh my, the video was so funny. this is up there with one of my favourite videos on dans channel. we all knew they would never admit anything about their relationship as they’ve both said multiple times they are private but some of the tea they did spill was sooooo funny!

My favourite teas:
Phils smoking!!
The cocaine incident 😂
Them finally admitting the two flats theory that we all knew but people just couldn’t get behind it. It feels almost freeing for them to admit it 😂

Also just to add: Phil never wear those shorts when we can see your bottom half as your bde was on show for us all to see haha!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

oh my god that video was so chaotic and SO FUCKING GOOD

also i both heard more about and saw more of phil's balls than i ever needed to

dan really did not tell him how the show would be framed did he
Phantasy
woodland creature

ArtyJim wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:50 pm I hate being negative but that was the most painful dnp video I've ever watched. Dan's over-the-top persona makes me cringe so bad. I also find his set so ugly??

(If anyone's looking to buy a gold vip ticket for dan's show in mesa, az let me know lol)
Dan’s dialed up persona was a bit much… the yelling and faux exasperation towards Phil wears thin. I’d like to see how the format plays out with another guest—maybe there would be less schtick.

What’s most frustrating of course is “Dan and Phil Finally Reveal the Truth” amounts to the same ol paradigm of revealing some anecdote or barely mystery and showcasing it as a truth while clearly still staying well clear of the actual topics of interest.

As far as his set (and wardrobe) Dan’s aesthetic is… not for everybody (or anybody?), just himself, which I don’t think he apologizes for, so you do you Dan.

Still, it’s a collab and Phil is adorkable as ever, I don’t think Phil had much of any direction before filming, so it was a nice awkward and chaotic mess to watch, so still enjoyable from that angle. Too late to nominate “Phil’s Bulge” as the next thread name? ;)
Last edited by Phantasy on Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parallel
phabergé

That was a nice video. Obviously clickbait, but I wasn't expecting and never will expect them to directly state their relationship status in public. Most of the spills were very mild, but some of them were decent. I was especially surprised to hear that Dan was considering moving out/away from Phil. The thing about Phil wanting to continue DAPG and Dan wanting to stop also makes a lot of sense and is probably what I would've expected from them.

I don't really get why Dan's acting like it's super spicy stuff though—it's all pretty mild. Maybe because DnP don't really have any particularly spicy tea to spill in the first place. Probably the only particularly internet-breaking thing they could reveal is their relationship status, which they aren't going to do and I respect that (but would be nice for them to not rely on it for clickbait lol).

Edit: Also agree with the people saying Dan's persona is annoying. I've just always found Dan annoying, but like, it is what it is. You get used to him after watching him for years lol
thatone
delia smith

Haven't posted here in forever, but jumped back in to say I haven't laughed that hard from a video in a long time - especially the beginning half with the simultaneous awkward and chaotic vibe. Dan was a bit intense during the bespoke activity (lol), but I thought overall it was great, and was actually a bit surprised to see the mixed response on here! But to each their own. :)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My hope for Dan's over the top persona is that he'll find a calmer groove while on tour. Phil has had three years to get used to making content mostly without Dan and I think his videos around and after coming out really did go a long way. Maybe if Dan can find a similar connection with the audience and realize he can let go a little, he'll come off as less of a high school theatre kid trying to project and more like someone it's not exhausting to watch (for the sheer energy levels he's putting into projecting).

I did just love the video so much though. I know I already said that once here, but it's the only thought in my head right now. I'm gonna go watch it again. I missed them together so much.
fioebae
drama llama

Not going to lie I adored that video so much, I had a grin on my face from start to finish!

I am really intrigued what the project they hated doing was? The first thing that springs to mind was The Super Amazing Project? I haven't rewatched it in years, probably because they never seem to mention it in a way that they never seem to do for any of their other projects, and MDC has never had a good reputation (I'm thinking back to all the Daily Grace drama back in the day).

It's either that or the low effort of DAPGO and a two book deal they couldn't get out of...

Thoughts?
soveinco
drama llama

My main question is WHICH place they almost didn't get together. Because if he's saying that (for example) they considered not living together when they first moved to London, that's very different from if he's saying they almost didn't... buy the house together. (That would be crazy, right?? Unless...?) "get a place together" makes me think "moving to London" era. But I'm not sure??

it also did crack me up how Dan is so married to the "it's all very awkward" vibe that he manages to get them into that awkward place even though they are so ridiculously comfortable with each other and have a super natural flow if left to their own devices . . . but then at several points they couldn't help falling into their normal dynamic instead of the awkward one anyway. lol, sorry, Danny, the partnership charisma will out.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Thread name suggestions please!! Last call - we'll put the poll up soon. The next thread will probably take us through at least the first part of Dan's tour, if you need any inspiration.
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

Loved that video - I thought they were quite open and calm for them, but it's been over a year since I've watched much of their joint content so maybe I'm forgetting what the norm was lol. I mean, I think they've hinted at discussing their relationship status before, but I felt like they were super open about it in this video. Even though they didn't say anything, the way they said that they wouldn't be saying anything seemed very open and honest to me (if that makes sense haha).
My sister wants us to go together to Dan's Phoenix show, and I've been a bit nervous that it will be a bit... cringe I guess. But this video made me feel a bit better about seeing it.
onemoresock
drama llama
Pronouns: she/they/he

Phil continually getting the game wrong and just spilling his facts without checking first has been keeping me laughing for so long now.

They really do balance each other out so well imo. Dan has never irritated me, I think he’s genuinely entertaining, but I will always love the way his very loud sardonic dramatics play off Phil’s off-the-wall, much lighter persona. When Phil answered the question about morality in humans by saying he ate a butterfly as a toddler I absolutely LOST it.

That little skit at the beginning in general was really fun and funny - it’s been so long since we’ve seen them do any kind of more planned out mini sketch. The “hey buddy you in London” gag also took me out - somehow that joke doesn’t ever get old.

And just generally… feeling very warm because I missed them and their dumb loud chaos. And if Phil could keep campaigning for that 1 sims video a year, I’d be very grateful.

(Also I’m genuinely of the opinion that if they wanna clickbait the hell out of their relationship then they’re more entitled to do that than anyone else, and good for them. I’d love for people to stop expecting them to cross their one clearly defined boundary of keeping their private life private, but also… absolutely get that money kings. I can totally respect how openly (and explicitly my god Daniel) they discussed it whilst yet again making their stance crystal clear.)
*blows kiss* for dop and pop
literally_formless
butt chair

Phil was 100% more charming and fun here than Dan, which is hilarious on so many levels.

The second it started the teaser bit I thought maybe they'd be doing a lie detector test, which would fit with the late night talk show meme theme but also be quite fun. I'd like to see that someday!

Seeing them together actually made me excited for, as someone said above, them settling into being apart during the tour and Phil I hope making more out-in-the-world content, and Dan having inspiration from the real-life interaction and daily routine he so obviously thrives on. (Has a man ever needed a job so badly?)

I feel robbed of another Phil "Why I went to hospital" video.
theBig
first-time poster

Okay first time poster here and I have so many random questions.
First, I remember then from a decade ago and since Dan fell off the face of the earth I always wondered how they could afford their apartment, the house, tour etc. like did Dan have a side hustle or something? 😂 also I know I feel bad speculating their relationship but whenever they talk about other hot people and stuff I get really thrown off 😂
phancon
delia smith

i enjoyed that a lot. i figured they wouldn't go 'there', and i actually thought their reveals were really interesting! i'm so curious about the project they were forced to do.

that little text skit at the beginning with the "no worries if not" was too real lmao. the go to follow up for those with anxiety. i'm very surprised that nobody he asked replied though. like, i know he's been pretty absent from yt for years now, but i thought he still had some clout left in him that plenty of people would be willing to colab. i guess not. though i suppose it depends who he invited. and he has been known to ghost people himself after all.