Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I thought with the first few there was also a chance they'd be show segments, if he's following the Soho gig style of his show being comprised of mostly things involving a screen that could have been youtube videos.
ArtyJim wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:51 am But...does anyone have a perspective shift for me? Nothing of this tour appeals to me (aside from Dan lol). The whole doom and gloom theme bothers me more and more as the last 3 years have been absolutely shite and have only gotten worse (for me). So, I hate the repeated reminder that "We're all doomed". Like, I get that there's got to be some other message to end the show right? Do others have similar feelings and how do you feel excited about the tour? Is it just faith in Dan to put on a good show?
I'm withholding judgement on the show until we know more, but in terms of the theme... I can absolutely get this perspective. I think I feel a little differently just because I'm very into apocalyptic type things, but I'm also not honestly sure how much of the theme he's going with in the show itself. I don't remember the II or the TATINOF promo material being... that directly connected to the show? II was definitely moreso but it was still like a loose structure to string together segments rather than a really insightful look at their fandom.

Basically I think I'm wary like you but for different reasons.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Saw this on Twitter and thought it felt pretty accurate lol.

At first I thought it was for a video, then for your, and now I'm just confused? Shorts? Filler danisnotinteresting content for while he's on your? One massive "every trend I missed while I was on hiatus" video?

Personally I would love to see a long video "catching up" on all these silly trends and whatnot but who knows?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This is an interesting little video. I always took Dan's comment as pure sarcasm, and I have never heard that 'nature's birth control' theory (and am not sure how much stock I put in it) but... well, it's definitely a take.
shan
morning quiff

Hmmm not be all ‘protect Dan’ but I don’t really agree with this video. I always took those comment as a sarcastic representation of how society at large thinks, but I can also see how someone might not take it that way. I think sometimes his sarcasm can be a little more on the subtle side so maybe it doesn’t read as obvious to everyone? If he had said it seriously I can absolutely see the problem but in this case I don’t agree with the way the comments were presented in this video by isolating that one soundbite when the next few lines provide context. I think it’s more an issue of not the best execution by Dan if people have been interpreting those comments as his own personal thoughts.

I’m also not really buying the nature’s birth control theory and the way it’s conveyed as if it’s fact kind of cheapens the message of the first part of the video if I’m honest. The source given is a ted talk by a cardiologist which I personally don’t think is the best reference to be presenting a theory in the matter of fact way that this was. By all means present it as a theory, but saying ‘this is why gay/ace people exist’ was a bit much imo.

I appreciate that they’re asking for feedback before making it public though.
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

I’ve been a fan of Echo for awhile, so I’m inclined to assume the best of her, but I also don’t really agree with her interpretation of Dan’s statement. I think it’s definitely important to create more visibility for asexual people, and I can genuinely feel the hurt in her voice when she talks about the topic. However, I think Dan’s statement was meant to be satire on how obsessed people are with sex, particularly his sexuality, instead of his actual beliefs. This doesn’t take away the potential the statement has to hurt asexual people figuring out their sexualities, but the overall message of BIG is acceptance of your sexuality, so I would find it hard to believe it could make someone feel less accepting of their sexuality. I’m not asexual though, so I can’t really know. I just know that BIG basically single-handedly made me accept the fact that I’m not straight, and I’ve since realized I’m gay.
:lesbianflag:
kavat
pastel persona

I've never read his words as sarcastic there. The words are so close to what asexual people hear everywhere and it's hard to divorce his statement from that. To me, those words has always given me a pang of sadness, while also understanding that his struggles with his sexuality have been so closely related to his desire for sex and relationships that the lack of that desire is hard for him to picture.

It's absolutely possible that he was sarcastic, but it just hits too close to home, you know. The words can still hurt if he echos what the world tells ace people every day, without taking a clear stand against it (except for a throwaway acknowledgement of acephobia later in the video).
shan
morning quiff

kavat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:34 am I've never read his words as sarcastic there. The words are so close to what asexual people hear everywhere and it's hard to divorce his statement from that. To me, those words has always given me a pang of sadness, while also understanding that his struggles with his sexuality have been so closely related to his desire for sex and relationships that the lack of that desire is hard for him to picture.

It's absolutely possible that he was sarcastic, but it just hits too close to home, you know. The words can still hurt if he echos what the world tells ace people every day, without taking a clear stand against it (except for a throwaway acknowledgement of acephobia later in the video).
I can totally understand that. There are certain topics that no joke or satirical comedy is probably ever going to make funny to me because it's just too close to home. One of my favourite drag queens was coming to my city recently and I was really excited until I looked up a review and read some of the topics they joked about and hard noped out of buying tickets. It’s even worse when it comes from someone you’re especially fond of.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil looks different here.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
kavat
pastel persona

She decided to keep it unlisted. There are some good discussions in the comments of the video, from both people who agree and disagree.
ArtyJim
glabella

I'll admit I never interpreted that first quote from Dan as sarcasm because sometimes sarcasm is hard to detect lol. So I appreciate the discussion as I can see how he is probably being sarcastic (3 years later).

I'm definitely sympathetic to her frustration/anger but I think her follow up tweet sums up how I feel about it "He's a good guy. I'm sure if he ever saw something like this he'd be like "oh sorry! I should have been more clear about it." Like he clearly wants to be the best version of himself and everyone says things they could word better. "

I have no idea how scientific the nature's birth control thing is but I appreciate hearing about it because I'm a childfree person who tries to be involved in all my nibs lives. So I like thinking I'm helping in some bigger way too lol
literally_formless
butt chair

Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

literally_formless wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:39 pm Return of the old branding?!?

https://mancunion.com/2022/08/18/in-con ... notonfire/
I’m so excited that the sitcom might still happen!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Finally. Some relatable content.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

a) i miss phil
b) i want dan video content
c) i miss them
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

So he's definitely going to at least the beginning of tour with him lol. How long do we think he'll stay? My guess is through the florida shows at the end of the month.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Not Dan calling security on Phil when he's the one who started stalking him.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

i'm CACKLING at ph*l
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay I'm appreciating how Phil entering the contest is now a running gag between them lmao. That's really cute.
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

I'm not sure how to embed ig posts but... Dystopia Daily? :shock:
nicky1388
spork

can Dan actually keep a schedule though?

i imagine if he has people doing the editing and such. and helping him behind the scenes like he seems to have now it might work.

looks like we might get some joint content??
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Just goes to show you that we can never understand what's next with these boys. Does he really mean daily??? That's absolutely wild if so. Is this where Phil has been too? I hope so. I'm fine with 90% solo dan content but I'd love some Phil visits (and from the promo it looks like there's at least one)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

This is not what I thought.

Also, daniel j howell. You are such a drama kid. You can't just post on youtube. You have to make a 2 hour long video about why you haven't posted. Then go dead on your main channel for months. Then come back with an *announcement* that you are making youtube videos again before you just post it.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Double posting again because I had a post that got eaten by the forum a few weeks ago, but feels relevant now:

My internal scenario is that Phil has been relatively quiet not because of his health issues or burnout, but because he's filming a season of Taskmaster or Celebrity Bake Off or something, since those often happen in the summer.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Not surprised at all actually, of course he was gonna do some pre-tour content at the last minute.

tbh I've been kinda feeling distant from Dan, like even more than when he was actually gone. So I hope this little influx of content will make me feel a little more enthusiastic about this whole thing again, even though I do think the ~ironically doing trendy YouTube videos is very overdone and I'd rather get something more sincere. I guess that's what's the tour is supposed be, but I'm still kinda :shrug: about it.

That said, I need whatever the video with the cat is NOW.

I think he'll be fine with the schedule btw, he's got a team to do that for him now right?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr