Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ArtyJim
glabella

LtrllySusan wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:56 am
kavat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:52 am I don't knowa what to feel about the tweet because it feels quite acted to me. Is that him putting up a front because he really is in a bad place, or is he acting so that it will feel more genuine? What will he do with the end product? I'm torn.
I feel a similar way about this. "Dan having a crisis and the world is so shit" has become his ~theme~ so it's hard to differentiate what's personal and what's content.

I think it's also why I am not enjoying this schtick - if he's genuinely unwell I don't want him to make forced content. And if he's fine and just playing the drama for content, then that's just weird.

I bought tickets for the tour cause why not, but I'm not sure yet if I'll actually attend. It all seems a bit too intense for me and doesn't leave me with good emotions. "The world is ending but here's a gay joke" isn't doing it for me.
I appreciate you guys saying this because I feel the same.

I also bought a ticket to his show but am contemplating even going because I seriously hate all this doom stuff. Even the post he did of his pop up shop feels bad to me.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

dans twitter video has brought me back on here after 3+ years, hello. not to feed into the doomer mentality, buuut.... is anyone else concerned about phil? not to put anything into people's heads, but this is extremely out of character for dan to post.. you would think the first person he would go to for this sort of thing is probably phil, not twitter. he wouldnt get THIS vulnerable on twitter if it was "only" a depressive episode (i say 'only' in quotations, even though depressive episodes are serious, i know dan wouldnt turn to twitter for help during one.)
he did, however, have a pop-up shop and said this about a fan giving him flowers: so that gives me a sliver of hope that phil is fine...
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

My impression was that this wasn't an acute mental health cry for help and more a chronic stress/depression attempt to be both genuine and cheer up a bit. I'm sure he is feeling a lot right now with the tour coming up and some videos going out, so I think the video was both genuine and thought out.
gravelsphilosophy
first-time poster

ratlad wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:51 pm dans twitter video has brought me back on here after 3+ years, hello. not to feed into the doomer mentality, buuut.... is anyone else concerned about phil? not to put anything into people's heads, but this is extremely out of character for dan to post.. you would think the first person he would go to for this sort of thing is probably phil, not twitter. he wouldnt get THIS vulnerable on twitter if it was "only" a depressive episode (i say 'only' in quotations, even though depressive episodes are serious, i know dan wouldnt turn to twitter for help during one.)
he did, however, have a pop-up shop and said this about a fan giving him flowers: so that gives me a sliver of hope that phil is fine...

My first though was with phil, especially because of the health issues he’s been having lately plus his inactivity. I reckon maybe he’s just giving dan space to promo his tour or whatever but my mind does love a bit of mental gymnastics lmao. hopefully it’s all good.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil gave a little sign of life and just RT'ed this.
Never change <3

:sparkle: Another reminder to post suggestions for a new thread name here! :sparkle:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Grey
lady door

This might be old news but I just noticed on Phil’s Twitter bio it says he’s employed at the circus lol
I'm having a stress.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan is going live in a few hours!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Levitating
#relatable

I'm watching the live and loving the chill vibes!

I never used to watch these regularly so I do not remember whether you could see the number of people watching.

It started at 8K and is going down 6.9 12 min later. Is this how it used to be?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Glad he saved it 'cause I couldn't record.

Don't have the energy for a proper summary bu it was nice, I did zone out a little bit but I prefer that over feeling on edge like in some old liveshows. There was a pretty chill vibe. He talked about tour stuff like what he's wearing (and encouraged us to dress for the black and orange theme as well), about YouTube and doing dystopia daily. He looked happy and excited to be doing things which is good. No mention of the Twitter video which surprised me. Phil was doing things in his adult Phil life again, a true classic.

He seems unsure of where to do these liveshows. He mentioned Twitch, but wasn't sure about how good that would be for short chatty streams rather than streams of several hours. People were also (affectionately) bullying him about getting a Tiktok. He didn't seem too fond of the idea but wondered whether he should give in to the current trend and mentioned how he got away with never joining Snapchat back in the day. imo Instagram works fine.
Levitating wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:12 pm I'm watching the live and loving the chill vibes!

I never used to watch these regularly so I do not remember whether you could see the number of people watching.

It started at 8K and is going down 6.9 12 min later. Is this how it used to be?
Numbers definitely used to be higher, I think by the end of this one it was around 5k. But not bad for a liveshow on a platform he's never done one on before, and that wasn't promoted on Twitter or other socials. Plus it was only announced a few hours beforehand, back in the day people would keep their schedules clean on Tuesday nights because that was a weekly properly scheduled thing.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I loved the stream, so good to see him so natural again. And to see his funky closet. I barely have a need for shoe storage now my chiropractor has me converted to barefoot shoes, which are the best, so comfy, no pulling on my back. 8k at the start was a throwback, that’s the lowest it used to go, it would regularly be 20k. It was fun to see the sweaters and to satisfy my brain that the outfit is black cos it looks kinda navy which is also often paired with orange. I wonder how well the leather jackets fit, I only tried one on once and it was so chunky, it didn’t fit well.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

I am getting sleepy halfway through watching the no-longer-live-show, but I love it a lot. It makes me happy, and more than anything else I've seen it makes me excited to see him on tour.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Please someone write a wholesome fic about them having dinner and discussing the live show. And also some smut about that closet!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
kavat
pastel persona

I really enjoyed that! I got some second hand embarrassment when he invited a viewer to join, but it was fantastic coincidence that it was the person who photoshopped Phil's ass. His reaction was great. The ongoing bit with the green juice felt like classic Dan liveshow banter.

The way he talked about the upcoming video with Phil makes me want to jump into a lake. He knows what he's doing and he's having so much fun with it.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I had a dream that the new ‘video’ was just an image saying ‘Trolled. You thought we’d go there?’ As if we all clearly have one thing on our minds.
starsandshards
living flop

flarequake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:43 am I had a dream that the new ‘video’ was just an image saying ‘Trolled. You thought we’d go there?’ As if we all clearly have one thing on our minds.
Yeah this would be hilarious and on brand, actually!

I really enjoyed the liveshow, I missed Dan's lives a lot. I used to look forward to them back in the day as a way to break the week up a bit. It made me sad a bit when he revealed how stressful they were for him back then, though it makes total sense. I can't even imagine how that would feel but stressed is a good starting point.

I'm looking forward to DD, in that it seems to be something he really wants to be doing, which will be different! I imagine he's been doing little bits of what he wants over the years but with extra on top according to our (the audience) expectation, I dunno, hard to describe. If this is truly just him having relaxed bants and poking fun at the chat show format, I'm in.

Very nervous about the tour though, I'm not sure why the promoters are going for this whole stand-up comic vibe, when it's clearly going to be a Dan production, i.e. a plot, with some comedy, some drama, a lot of self-deprecation, etc. When he mentioned the lights in the liveshow, I thought, ah yes... it's going to be a whole Thing, and I don't think that had dawned on me before (I'm dumb, gimme a break!).

Either way... I hope he has fun with it and enjoys connecting to his audience again through firstly travelling and doing the show itself and also through the M&Gs. It comes across like he's really missed that part of things!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Catallena wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:37 pm
Numbers definitely used to be higher, I think by the end of this one it was around 5k. But not bad for a liveshow on a platform he's never done one on before, and that wasn't promoted on Twitter or other socials. Plus it was only announced a few hours beforehand, back in the day people would keep their schedules clean on Tuesday nights because that was a weekly properly scheduled thing.
I will say, I didn't even get notified (despite having dnp on notifs on instagram) about the fact he was going live on instagram. So, I was struck aback when I found out like 2 hours after he'd been live. I am so cranky at how bad notifications have gotten on all the platforms. So anyway, didn't know he was going live, would've probably tuned in otherwise.
feenix
squish
Pronouns: she/they

So obviously at the end of the first dystopia daily, which was a preview for the next episode, Dan (with Phil sat next to him) says "we are going to put something on the table, that is a truth we have never dared admit to the internet"

Then on his live last night (timing is with 32.34 mins left of the live) he says:
"You are not ready for this next upload that's coming on my YouTube channel in the next couple of days. It is um... it's me and a special guest, and it goes into some places that I think anyone who's watched me for the last 10 years, they just never thought I'd go there. It's really... quite extreme (nervous laughs) I think you're gonna like it, maybe, it's spicy, it's very very spicy and it's a bit scary, but it'll be good"

And with 1:42 mins left of the live:
"Brace yourselves for the next video, that's all I'll say. I'm sorry for what you're gonna experience emotionally, um... brace yourselves"

I......... do not know how to feel. Or cope. With this. I............ am scared and also excited. I'm excited at the possibility that he will drop the Phan bomb. And I am scared that it will be the "Phan is not real, losers" bomb, and also scared that is whole thing is just a big huge bait and will be literally bloody nothing. Is anyone else losing their frickin minds over this?

If it is the Phan bomb it'll for sure be helpful for his ticket sales on tour, and I do wonder if he might just want to talk openly about either his gay life with Phil or his gay experiences separate to Phil during his tour. I simply. Do not know. How to feel.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

feenix wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:17 pm So obviously at the end of the first dystopia daily, which was a preview for the next episode, Dan (with Phil sat next to him) says "we are going to put something on the table, that is a truth we have never dared admit to the internet"

Then on his live last night (timing is with 32.34 mins left of the live) he says:
"You are not ready for this next upload that's coming on my YouTube channel in the next couple of days. It is um... it's me and a special guest, and it goes into some places that I think anyone who's watched me for the last 10 years, they just never thought I'd go there. It's really... quite extreme (nervous laughs) I think you're gonna like it, maybe, it's spicy, it's very very spicy and it's a bit scary, but it'll be good"

And with 1:42 mins left of the live:
"Brace yourselves for the next video, that's all I'll say. I'm sorry for what you're gonna experience emotionally, um... brace yourselves"

I......... do not know how to feel. Or cope. With this. I............ am scared and also excited. I'm excited at the possibility that he will drop the Phan bomb. And I am scared that it will be the "Phan is not real, losers" bomb, and also scared that is whole thing is just a big huge bait and will be literally bloody nothing. Is anyone else losing their frickin minds over this?

If it is the Phan bomb it'll for sure be helpful for his ticket sales on tour, and I do wonder if he might just want to talk openly about either his gay life with Phil or his gay experiences separate to Phil during his tour. I simply. Do not know. How to feel.
I have been trying so hard not to obsess over this, but like, he's the one who brought it up multiple times lol. Usually I'd expect it to be some jokey bait but like...he seemed genuinely a lil nervous?
susan2
rainbow nerd

I didn't see all of the liveshow, but my guess from that would be something like a hot ones challenge whilst asking each other some equally spicy questions/truths about YouTube and their careers. e.g. spilling some behind the scenes stories about things we are all familiar with, but also don't really know certain things about :shrug:

I'm confused why he said he was editing Dystopia Daily - didn't he hire an Editor to do just that?
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

susan2 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:03 pm I'm confused why he said he was editing Dystopia Daily - didn't he hire an Editor to do just that?
That's part of what makes me suspicious, tbh. No way would Dan let an editor near such an important video. But who knows, it could literally be anything.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

All of the signs really do seem to line up to that he's going to talk about what we think. It's okay, I've clowned before so i could do it again.

But seriously...

It's probably going to be them admitting that Phil wasn't actually the one who stole dan's cereal.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I was just rewatching “Why I Quit YouTube” and in it Dan says, “I stay awake at night thinking about whether I committed clickbait once with a thumbnail 11 years ago” (8:45). It was the How NOT to Stay Cool video where the thumbnail is him naked (censored) with Phil. So I really hope he didn’t clickbait us with the Phil preview soundbite.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
literally_formless
butt chair

I'm having a little tingle of trauma reaction from past fandoms when I'm trying to feel excited about the new video, but an idea...what if the spicy and somewhat scary thing in the new video is Tia Kofi Puts Me In Drag?
phancon
delia smith

I'm not expecting the reveal to be anything much more than "sometimes we lie on camera" or "we decided a few years ago not to bring back the gaming channel". something career related. like, there's no way they're breaking the "living together, yes, but we'll never tell about our dating life" rule they've had for 3 years now. but who knows, dan's shocked me to my core before, it could happen again. I'm just not about to get any expectations up.

and tbh, if it is nothing I don't personally really blame dan. people clickbait literally all the time, it's not that big of a deal to me.
Grey
lady door

When I saw the preview after the YouTube video, I thought it would be something silly (like plinthofmylife’s idea that Phil doesn’t really steal cereal :o or maybe he is pranking PHIL with those spicy gummy bears from way back in the day… ~spicy~). When I heard him talk about it in the live, I started to think it might be the most obvious thing, because he seemed actually quite nervous.

To be honest, I feel like I don’t really care what the spicy detail is. Perhaps I will care when I find out what it is.

Changing topic, I was surprised by Dan announcing the substantial change to the Oxford / Cambridge tour dates in buried in the middle of a live show with “only” 5k people watching. That’s not a great place to announce that and it’s very close to when the original date was!! I won’t pretend to be a tour sales expert because I’m certainly not, so I don’t know if rescheduling it was a reasonable thing to do or not. I was just struck by the strange placement of the announcement in the live show. I feel like it would have been better if he recorded a little message and they sent it to the people who had bought tickets for the affected shows.
I'm having a stress.