Dan and Phil Part 103: we're all doomed!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

feenix wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:23 pm
Yawn wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:52 am Also, for the people that care about whether they're together, I did notice a direct relationship status denial from Dan in the new Homo Sapiens podcast episode. So have fun with that I guess
I've just listened to this and for anyone else interested, it's in Part 1 of the podcast at 24:25.

Chris: "Am I right in saying you were in a relationship when you came out?"
Dan: "Ummmmm no"

What do we think, gang? My first reaction was "bloody hell I can't believe he straight up said no", and my second reaction was that he thought this was a safe space probs and panicked because he's not exactly gonna say yes in that situation, is he? And it would be 1000% more sus if he'd have gone into panic mode and said "um er um well I'm private I don't talk about my relationship status", especially when the rest of the podcast he talks about how honest and open he feels since coming out...

Once again daniel is giving me a headache (I wouldn't have it any other way though hahaha)
I think context is super important in this case. That is a question Dan clearly never wanted to be asked and never really has been asked publicly.

He followed up the no with "NNNNNNNo.... This is a good example of something YOU don't want to talk about unless you wanna get your inbox destroyed, ummmm no, my life was a mess...."

Not to like deeply analyze the whole thing, but the phrasing of the question didn't really give Dan any room to obfuscate his response like he would normally do. It's binary, he either says yes or no and obviously for him the safer reaction here was using "no" as, like, a verbal pause. If he said yes, we'd all be losing our absolute shit right now, because we'd have finally gotten the response we've all assumed was true.

So, I think it was a panicked "no", but like... maybe this is me rationalizing and Dan and Phil were definitely not in a serious relationship. Just platonically designing their Forever Home together. :lol:
starsandshards
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

I'm late but video yay. Still giggling at random points throughout the day when I remember bits, like the fucking aubergine water.
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

Hello,
Long time lurker, first time poster. That vid finally spurred me on to make an account here and contribute my ~thoughts instead of just in the tags on tumblr lol.
1. I'm a relatively new phannie (just missed the stereo era, woe is me) so I don't have the experience of pre CO Dan and Phil but...it genuinely blows my mind how anyone could ever not understand their relationship??? It's unfathomable to me. They say so much (and this includes what they don't say/won't say), do so much, own so much that the partnership (by that I mean the ~kind of partnership) is absolutely unquestionable. So it's still a bit confusing to me when people continue to push for 'more' when everything is there already.
2. Another thing I can't wrap my head around is people being surprised about the two apartments thing. I am v familiar with the area from looking for property and so know the building because of that. Regardless, to me it was obvious from the get go before I even realised where they lived. I feel like I've missed out on so much Stuff and Intrigue by discovering them so late. I'm grateful I get to enjoy them All Out and gay as hell.
So 3. some of the 'truths' were like...ok yes we been knew to me. BUT MY GOD DID I LOVE THAT VID.

That's the crux of this post - I FUCKING ADORE EVERYTHING THEY DO TOGETHER UGH. Just...they!!! Although I am a bit put off with Dan's OTT performance rn. The insta live show was better in that regard. But...THEY!!!! Also Phil straight up admitting to eating a butterfly off the bat was GOLD lmfaoooo

Anyway, hope that all made sense. I check IDB every day and have done for so long so... *waves* I have arrived.
Grey
lady door

My hot take on that podcast answer is this: They’ve made it abundantly clear that it’s something they don’t want to discuss. If people want to keep asking them about it in podcasts and stuff, they should expect answers like “…nnnnno”. I don’t think the answer means a whole lot besides “we’ve already told you freaks that we’re not talking about this”. I wonder if maybe that podcast experience influenced the aggressive clickbaiting of their relationship in this video - to make it super extra clear that they will not be discussing it.
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

So I guess we should be finding out soon if current monarchy events are gonna throw the tour schedule completely off?
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Maybe not a popular opinion among all this theory crafting, but does anyone else find the current state of D&P exhausting?

This whole intentional "gotcha" clickbaiting, over-the-top persona from Dan, wearing mental health on the sleeve to the point you don't know what's genuine anymore, overly produced content. I am not enjoying the relationship they (mainly Dan) currently have with the audience, somewhere between bait, irony and teasing.

Maybe it's always been like this and I was more into it some years ago...
I wish for content like the last video, minus the whole act/circus. Or just a story time that isn't from 15 years ago. Or just call quits, if they are not into it anymore. But not this.
kavat
pastel persona

What a video! I laughed a lot and it's been on my mind all day. I've been trying to collect my thoughts but I'm not sure how. In the meantime:
- I didn't think they'd go There (mostly because I didn't want to get my little hopes up) but that title sure is clickbaity. They know how to make the clicks (and cash) roll in and I'm not mad about it
- I love how everyone has rallied around this video and it has brought old fans back
- Did we know at all that they went to Switzerland? When was this? How was that whole thing pitched? I have so many questions
- Dan insisting on being in character and Phil just not giving a shit in the whole intro bit is hilarious. I have a hard time seeing how this persona would mesh with other guests.
- The podcast was fine as a whole, but that question in particular was quite invasive. Dan was clearly not interested in answering it, I took the Nnnnno as a "I'm not going to answer that".
swimgirl_1108
tol bean
Pronouns: sher/her

Yawn wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:52 am Also, for the people that care about whether they're together, I did notice a direct relationship status denial from Dan in the new Homo Sapiens podcast episode. So have fun with that I guess
I've just listened to this and for anyone else interested, it's in Part 1 of the podcast at 24:25.

What do we think, gang? My first reaction was "bloody hell I can't believe he straight up said no", and my second reaction was that he thought this was a safe space probs and panicked because he's not exactly gonna say yes in that situation, is he? And it would be 1000% more sus if he'd have gone into panic mode and said "um er um well I'm private I don't talk about my relationship status", especially when the rest of the podcast he talks about how honest and open he feels since coming out...

Once again daniel is giving me a headache (I wouldn't have it any other way though hahaha)
Is this timestamp correct? Because I didn't hear this quote at all and I listened to both episodes and went back to the timestamp to confirm. So either I just missed it somehow or they cut it out of the episode.
swimgirl_1108
tol bean

swimgirl_1108 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:28 pm

Is this timestamp correct? Because I didn't hear this quote at all and I listened to both episodes and went back to the timestamp to confirm. So either I just missed it somehow or they cut it out of the episode.
Wait nevermind, I found it. For me it's at 19:55.
swimgirl_1108
tol bean

Hearing it now, I actually don't think the quote is that bad. This is the whole question: "So you came out in your private life, but am I right in saying that you were in a relationship when you came out, so you were sort of out, or no?" So Dan's no could just be an answer to being out privately, and not also about the relationship. But who knows.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:54 pm So I guess we should be finding out soon if current monarchy events are gonna throw the tour schedule completely off?
I just heard that the BBC is canceling all comedy shows for 12 days. I wonder what the protocol is for live comedy shows? This turn of events is so on brand for Dan. I wonder if he’ll talk about it in WAD or in a live show.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:54 pm So I guess we should be finding out soon if current monarchy events are gonna throw the tour schedule completely off?
I would expect at least some of the first few dates to be impacted. The Queen's funeral will be in the next 2 weeks and the day of the funeral will be a day of national mourning - possibly canceling the Cardiff or Brighton show. The UK is also in mourning for the next 2 weeks and lots of media will be impacted by that too (the BBC is pushing back launch dates for shows, for example).
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Honestly Dan has straight up denied being gay as well. Straight up denials don't hold a lot of water coming from him. Especially about a subject we know for a fact is something he's not comfortable sharing.

The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

What events? (I live in a hole)
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
waitingfan
tol bean

I find it so weirdly heart-warming that Dan thought of living alone without Phil only because he wanted to be sad and lonely for his creativity. I truly cannot understand why people thought him wanting to living alone is a sign for them not together anymore. It’s completely the opposite obviously!!! They are so comfortably together.
dontpanic
#relatable

000dia000 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:25 am I'll be honest, I was so exhausted reading all the second flat theory here on IDB back in the day, but hats off to those who spotted it. You're tinhattery has been confirmed by the God's!! :tinfoil:

Also, I don't know how people think its Catriric? Sorry, but they were besties! It's probably some random American vlogger or like Emma Blackery 💀
the idea of Emma Blackery asking them for a three-way... now we know the real reason why Dan was always so weirdly put off by her
kavat
pastel persona

Emma has outright denied it
feenix
squish
Pronouns: she/they

swimgirl_1108 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:31 pm
swimgirl_1108 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:28 pm

Wait nevermind, I found it. For me it's at 19:55.
That's so weird, my Spotify must have been acting up yesterday!! Sorry for the wrong time stamp.
starsandshards
living flop

mathsniel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:30 pm
I would expect at least some of the first few dates to be impacted. The Queen's funeral will be in the next 2 weeks and the day of the funeral will be a day of national mourning - possibly canceling the Cardiff or Brighton show. The UK is also in mourning for the next 2 weeks and lots of media will be impacted by that too (the BBC is pushing back launch dates for shows, for example).
You know I never considered this. I do expect him to make some kind of comment, my internal countdown has started.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

mathsniel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:30 pm
I’m hearing 19th for the funeral, which would mean Cardiff impacted - could be wrong!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I’d be surprised if they changed any shows. I saw a cinema-stream from the National Theatre last night and they had a minute’s silence and the national anthem, same when the Queen Mother died cos I went to see Cats that day, weird coincidence. Certain things related to the monarchy, government etc will be affected, but everything doesn’t stop. Not that I know for sure, of course.

Also Emma Blackery already said what happened with her and Dan.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Idk if it’s just me but it’s felt really uncomfortable seeing all of this speculation about threesomes everywhere. Emma Blackery saw it, Cats probably seen it, and who knows who else. I guess this is the odd part of a real person fandom but since these are real people we’re talking about it just feels kinda gross to be so invasive about them since they didn’t have anything to do with the video. It seems especially strange to see all the speculation when there’s been so much talk about the invasive question on the podcast- we’re not okay with people invading Dan’s privacy but this somehow is fine? This is just my opinion obviously but that more than anything bothered me about the new video
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:00 pm Idk if it’s just me but it’s felt really uncomfortable seeing all of this speculation about threesomes everywhere. Emma Blackery saw it, Cats probably seen it, and who knows who else. I guess this is the odd part of a real person fandom but since these are real people we’re talking about it just feels kinda gross to be so invasive about them since they didn’t have anything to do with the video. It seems especially strange to see all the speculation when there’s been so much talk about the invasive question on the podcast- we’re not okay with people invading Dan’s privacy but this somehow is fine? This is just my opinion obviously but that more than anything bothered me about the new video
It's definitely a weird one since Dan himself is the one that put it out there and invited speculation by literally giving hints. But I do just feel... super weird that people started guessing women in their actual life. I felt like Dan was pretty clear that it was famous people, not youtubers or their friends.
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:14 pm
Amiaw wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:00 pm Idk if it’s just me but it’s felt really uncomfortable seeing all of this speculation about threesomes everywhere. Emma Blackery saw it, Cats probably seen it, and who knows who else. I guess this is the odd part of a real person fandom but since these are real people we’re talking about it just feels kinda gross to be so invasive about them since they didn’t have anything to do with the video. It seems especially strange to see all the speculation when there’s been so much talk about the invasive question on the podcast- we’re not okay with people invading Dan’s privacy but this somehow is fine? This is just my opinion obviously but that more than anything bothered me about the new video
It's definitely a weird one since Dan himself is the one that put it out there and invited speculation by literally giving hints. But I do just feel... super weird that people started guessing women in their actual life. I felt like Dan was pretty clear that it was famous people, not youtubers or their friends.
Not listened to the podcast, just seen the posts above so can't comment on that fully. But I would hope Dan would be prepared for any potential invasive Qs by now and will have worked through strategies not to let it bother him like it used to (as mentioned in the insta liveshow) now that he is out, as supported by those around him inc. therapists. I think, for me, this ties into the OTT-ness of Dan's performance atm. So, yes, he was going for 'what will make a good dramatic spill that I can yell about' instead of 'am I being empathetic here and putting myself in their shoes, like if the roles were reversed'. The ~blame falls on Dan for this.

Edit to add: this isn't to say, like, @ing actual people is fine either but...bound to happen if the ball has been set to rolling y'know what I mean?
Last edited by alienfreakbingo on Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levitating
#relatable

I loved this video!

One thing I am struggling with is: are they still lying to their social circle?
How can you hide a relationship while living in the real world?

And if they're not hiding (because it's impossible, unless they straight forward lie), then... someone is going to out them.

Unless they live a very reclusive life, or very separated from a youtube/influencer circle.