Dan and Phil Part 103: we're all doomed!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A sign of life from Dan.
Same video was posted on TikTok and Instagram (as a Reel).

He forgot Amsterdam (which ngl gives me a little stress with all these cancelled shows but I'm sure it's fine) but it would've been a joke about stroopwafels or weed probably anyway. He replied to a bunch of people on Twitter, even QRT's, but nothing about the cancelled shows.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I was really hoping for a YouTube video today, but I guess this will have to do. One of his replies also made it sound like dystopia daily might be ending soon. I wonder if that means he’s done with YouTube, since DD was his “last attempt”. I’m feeling very sad and anxious about this.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Levitating
#relatable

Is that interview floating around real?

While I got jumpscared by someone tweeting that Dan had just outed his relationship with Phil, when I got to read the interview I got offended on Dan's behalf! The interviewer sounds to me like a Karen who demands and will only accept certain answers. I'm shocked.

Is this okay? Please avoid downloading that piece and supporting that magazine, if all of this is true, because I cannot believe they actually allowed those questions after ALL Dan's has said about his privacy and general queer discourse around forcing people to reveal things.

If that's how Phan is confirmed, then it has a totally bitter taste :( I'll cover my ears until they make a wholesome clickbait-y (but actually real) reveal :rainbowtears:
literally_formless
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

Levitating wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:20 pm Is that interview floating around real?
Seems real. And that interviewer writes regularly for that magazine.

All the press for this tour is pretty baffling to me. Dan isn't a great fit for the light, gossipy, sexual tone of a lot of magazines and podcasts geared toward gay men, and the local papers seem to send somewhat inexperienced writers who either don't ask him unique questions or can't get through his defenses. I almost wish he could interview himself. I'm looking forward more to Anthony's video now. His questions are usually good.
Levitating
#relatable

To me it sounded disrespectful and yes, totally gossipy in a way that associate with 90s obsession with Britney Spears - something I thought we had moved from!

I dunno, guys, I am speachless.

I hope Dan knew this interview was going to be published these days, because it could mean that he might have used Anthony's video to talk through the phan debate on his own terms and words (I do not expect them to give up the views they would make in 'coming out' as a couple on their channels). As it is, I find it pretty disgusting!
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

Yeah definitely a strange turn of events... Did Not Expect that as I settled in for my evening tonight lol
literally_formless
butt chair

I didn't take "basically, yes" as a confirmation of a current relationship but more as a joking agreement that sitting in silence as footstools together is one stereotype of long-term relationships
kavat
pastel persona

Thank you Lackless for taking one for the team My first reaction was also to be protective of Dan and his privacy, but the more I thought about it the more I just find the whole thing quite funny.

I don't expect a random australian journalist writing a puff piece on a small comedian doing a couple of shows over there to know all of the ins and outs of Dan's relationship with, uh his relationship. I think they did a light google, browsed his instagram and quickly concluded that Phil was his boyfriend and ran with it. Dan could have avoided the questions (like he has before), he could have said certain things were off limits, he could have answered the question about Phil being his "good friend" with a simple Yes. But instead he started waxing poetic about Phil and how special they are and when explicitly asked he chose to confirm that they are in a relationship.

From our perspective it might seem invasive and rude, but if you take a step back and compare it to similar interviews, I don't see it as much different. It is however very like Dan to ramble away and say things he maybe hadn't planned to, making us go absolutely nuts. Some things never change lmao
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I’m so glad I checked here before buying it! I really couldn’t afford to.
000dia000
emo goose

Generally speaking, based on my experience reading discussion by non-fans on twitter/tiktok of their relationship, opinions on the matter can be summarised and divided as follows:

1. It's none of our (the audience) business, and
2. They are intentionally queerbaiting/shipbaiting and need to be brought down a peg or two.

I'm not surprised that the interviewer seems to be number 2 and made sure they didn't leave until they were satisfied.
:cactus:
Levitating
#relatable

I don't know. It feels like the journalist was contesting the tactic of homophobic people of refusing to acknowledge queer relationships bc they're uncomfortable w it (like your typical homophobic parent who'll call you partner your friend until the end of her days)

This might nonsensical when applied to Dan who's a gay men, but perhaps the interviewer saw it as internalised homophobia? Or pretended to see it as such, because no matter the reason, I still do not see it as cordial or professional.

He either did not research Dan enough or he did and still chose to break that limit.

Dan unfortunately is not powerful enough to influence what journalists write, and while I bet some negotiation was there, the way the tour is going (how it's handled/booked/promoted) we can totally see that he does not have the best PR team (if he even has one) who could have experience dealing with journalists

Does anyone else feel like a bubble has been burst in the worst way? I mean we knew, but I feel I would have felt like excited and would have celebrated if it had been them declaring it in a video. Now it feels like intrusive and thus unpleasant - something to stay away from because it came out of disrespect.

Also, does anyone know if they've been trending? Anywhere? At least of Tumblr?
interruptfireworks
delia smith

i actually do get why the interviewer asked if what dan said about calling phil his friend was a bit homophobic. dan was rather vague in terms of tense when he was describing his and phil's romantic relationship status in BIG so if the interviewer understood it as the relationship is still romantic and yet dan is solely referring to him as a friend, it could be thought of as internalised homophobia bc what would be the need to call him a friend if ur out as a couple? but idk, dan is just weird like that and it's still a bit odd to flat out say in an interview.

in fact, i really had no clue what dan was saying half the time (in that section of the interview at least because i haven't really read the rest) but that's how i feel with all his interviews these days. he goes on these big tangents with metaphors and then kinda says a whole bunch of nothing (if i understood correctly - since he was dancing around his words as he himself puts it - i think dan actually acknowledged that in the interview since he said "who wrote that? probably someone who was dancing around the words" in response to the interviewer saying him calling phil his friend was a bit homophobic but again i can't tell).

the interviewer was quite pushy though which i found weird, especially when he questioned why dan "came out late".. that just felt off.
Levitating wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:54 am Also, does anyone know if they've been trending? Anywhere? At least of Tumblr?
nope i haven't seen it trend anywhere. i saw a screenshot of the interview with 400 likes on twitter but that's the most really, i don't think any non-fans/ex-phannies saw it.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I think Dan tends to put his foot in his mouth a lot with questions like these. If he wanted to avoid the topic, that first "romantic relationship" question could have been addressed with a more concrete sentence. "I don't want to talk about my personal relationships in interviews." The end. But... he gets all fanciful with it and seems to get excited about the opportunity to come up with new, weird descriptions for Phil. And so I can understand where a journalist might be inclined to ask further questions.

This interview doesn't seem pushy to me at all, because Dan let him continue. IDK. To me... that's blatant confirmation we got in an interview. (An interview Dan is choosing not to promote.) And the phandom is quiet these days so... it's kind of going under the radar.

He's had years and plenty of media scrutiny to know how to shut these things down. Look at Phil - dude just keeps his mouth shut and tells you to go to another ice cream shop. So, to me... This is Dan just giving us the goods.

Thanks, Dan. This is all I wanted.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I think Dan just has the highest esteem for his and Phil’s relationship and basically (either ironically or sincerely) waxes poetic whenever he gets the chance. He doesn’t want his relationship to be seen as run-of-the-mill. He has a quality threshold for everything it seems. I feel like he confirmed the relationship in BIG and kind of like when Pinof ended and they thought they made that clear, but phandom didn’t get it, some people didn’t take it the way he might have thought they would. There was already also that interview where he said they were husbands, so it’s not like he’s hiding it. It’s a lot like how he said in BIG that he wasn’t subtle about not being straight. It’s pretty obvious they’re in a relationship. I think the more things about their status don’t cause a kerfuffle, the better for Dan to subtly share more and feel more authentic. Not that I expect them to call each other boyfriends ever.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I think the fandom can be a bit overprotective of Dan. Keep in mind he's a grown adult and fully capable of saying "Sorry, let's keep this interview on the topic of the tour" or "As we discussed prior to the interview, I don't wish to answer intimate questions". He didn't have a gun to his head.
Unless the magazine twisted his words while editing, he wanted to talk about this and doesn't need protection - if anything, leave the author alone.

I've always wondered what happens if a fan would just ask them straight up "Are you two in a relationship?" at a M&G. Obviously they have a hundred differently nuanced answers prepared.
Levitating
#relatable

I'm not sure he has such 'power' - within the currency of PR - unfortunately and he does need the promo (see all cancelled dates). Not to mention he's English. No direct confrontation.

Which is why to me it feels disrespectful. Negotation about the topics must have been there, but to to the point of having full control without risking alienating this magazine/opportunity for promotion. There was a power imbalance and the journalist took advantage of it.

Hope that the moderate reaction from the phandom (no trending etc) shows him that his public has grown up now, and will no longer take his relationship as their own
gnostic
stress mushroom

Levitating wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:38 pm I'm not sure he has such 'power' - within the currency of PR - unfortunately and he does need the promo (see all cancelled dates). Not to mention he's English. No direct confrontation.

Which is why to me it feels disrespectful. Negotation about the topics must have been there, but to to the point of having full control without risking alienating this magazine/opportunity for promotion. There was a power imbalance and the journalist took advantage of it.

Hope that the moderate reaction from the phandom (no trending etc) shows him that his public has grown up now, and will no longer take his relationship as their own
This is peak paradoxical I'm sorry
Just here for the marketing skills
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Two signs of life from Phil today!

This tweet about Twitter's new terrible function no one asked for:
And an Instagram Story:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Morganaa
drama llama

and maybe get the life of your own to be "protective of" and stop worrying so much about a 32 year old grown ass adult YouTuber and self-proclaimed "comedian? you act like he answered these questions with a fuckin '44 to his head and goin on rants about how disrespectful it is and how somebody took advantage of somethin, and another bullshit. it ain't a 6 year old child you're talking about. like I said, get your own life because this is truly unhealthy. he'll be fine, promise. and the rambles about " boycotting" the author, omg.

I don't even lurk in there, yet I had to open a card and read those posts. you people truly are ridiculous. like I said, start worrying about yourself, not somebody else. because right now you act like their life is yours. I dont know if I should giggle or cry.

you can ban me now, over and out
Levitating
#relatable

... wo! :?

Phil's obsession with seeing different colours in a picture is hilarious, btw :lol:
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

Soooo... black and blue or gold and white???
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alienfreakbingo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:10 pm Soooo... black and blue or gold and white???
I honestly only see gold and it's making me go nutty!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The dress was always black and blue for me though I could see the color illusion making it look white and gold for some, but this shoe is white and gold and I cannot see it any other way. My friend said to her it looks like a black shoe reflecting the background light but that makes no sense to me.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
interruptfireworks
delia smith

i saw gold and white when i first saw the post, black and blue when i came across it a second time and now gold and light blue :shrug:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Definitely only see black and blue.