Dan and Phil Part 103: we're all doomed!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Can we talk about the project drama? Fans were planning some kind of project for the end of the show and it got cut down and the papers they had got taken away... was it by a promoter? Or the venue? The tweet I saw said Dan's team seemed excited for it.
jmorton
butt chair

Catallena wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:22 am Whew it's dead in here. :tumbleweed:

Dan is on the very last leg of the tour, this time next week WAD will be another era of the past. Crazy.

Meanwhile, Phil has given yet another sign of life, this time on Twitter.
I'm so curious about what's gonna happen after tour. Phil has been so unusually silent, and aside from being worried it also makes me wonder whether is he gonna take over childcare duties again as soon as Dan inevitably goes into hibernation for a year after March 3rd.
Been thinking about this a lot. While Phil taking an extended break from videos is a bit concerning, it can be sort of explained away by wanting to not distract from Dan's tour (I don't buy that it would distract from Dan... but I CAN see the logic in it). What is more perplexing is pulling way back from social media. Phil was the more prolific of the two on twitter and he tweets once every two weeks (if that) now and almost never posts on Instagram anymore.

IMO I'm hoping Phil has a bigger project going on. Something. The saving grace of Phil's absence from public life would be if he had something cool he was working on.
Levitating
#relatable

Were people told not to do this kind of stuff during a show that's recorded?

If so, then I do not understand why recording means that fan projects cannot go ahead. I mean, doesn't it look even nicer to showcase how faithful and engaged fans are?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:49 am Can we talk about the project drama? Fans were planning some kind of project for the end of the show and it got cut down and the papers they had got taken away... was it by a promoter? Or the venue? The tweet I saw said Dan's team seemed excited for it.
Such a weird situation, and even though I was at the matinee rather than the evening show I was so sad about it not happening because it sounded amazing and like something Dan would love. Since we never heard a peep from AEG before, I'm guessing LiveComedy NL (the dutch promotor) made that decision. I'm still not clear on what the issue even was (aside from this guy obviously needing to feel important that day) but mostly baffled about how they told that straight faced lie about Dan not liking these kind of projects. The fucking audacity of just pushing their own idiotic decision onto the talent they're supposed to support, like how is that okay?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Hello! I haven’t posted on here in like forever but always lurking!
What I came on here to mention was that I know we’re all expecting Phil to come back with something to explain why he’s been gone for so long, but what if he’s just creatively burned out?? I know that doesn’t really fit his personality nor why he’d disappear from everything, but I haven’t really seen anyone discuss that aspect. Phil’s been on YouTube for like almost close to 20 years at this point (time goes by too damn fast) and pretty much up until last year, was active constantly. To me, I totally would understand the (possible) burn out. It would also explain why a lot of his content (to me at least) just hasn’t felt truly like what I know? Sometimes it feels rushed just to get it out there. I can say when I watch Phil, I tend to gravitate more towards older videos, more like stuff from before 2019. And that’s really odd for me bc I do like Phil’s stuff. I really do. But it just feels like the quality or the amazingphil spark, isn’t there for me anymore?

Also controversial opinion but in the last few years, Phil hasn’t really been the most creative and original with videos…. His story times are pretty much the most original as they get these days. I am aware that Phil does not really have a quality threshold like dan does. But anyone remember the toilet tag? Or Phil’s interactive videos?? Or That quiz show thing he did a few years back?? Is Phil a creative guy? Yes. But I feel like he’s lost his spark creativity and it makes me a little sad.

Sorry for the long waffle for my return, who knows, maybe writing this out will finally release that q&a video Phil asked us questions for on ig stories back in January but I’m beginning wonder if he just forgot about it. :(

TL DR: Phil could just be creatively burned out and maybe it’s shown for a while and maybe that’s why he’s not posting.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
literally_formless
butt chair

Re inevitable Dan hibernation, I'm still hoping for that last DD episode. Of course, the list of videos Dan has promised and then not uploaded is arguably equally as long as the list of videos he's actually posted, but so many people worked on that show with him, I'd hope he'll see it out.

Also, I admit I too am worried about Phil. I don't even play Apex or know anything about it but that Instagram story of him wanting to play with viewers was kind of exciting. Sad an update put the kibosh on that impulse.
jmorton
butt chair

confusedpanda wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:44 pm Hello! I haven’t posted on here in like forever but always lurking!
What I came on here to mention was that I know we’re all expecting Phil to come back with something to explain why he’s been gone for so long, but what if he’s just creatively burned out?? I know that doesn’t really fit his personality nor why he’d disappear from everything, but I haven’t really seen anyone discuss that aspect. Phil’s been on YouTube for like almost close to 20 years at this point (time goes by too damn fast) and pretty much up until last year, was active constantly. To me, I totally would understand the (possible) burn out. It would also explain why a lot of his content (to me at least) just hasn’t felt truly like what I know? Sometimes it feels rushed just to get it out there. I can say when I watch Phil, I tend to gravitate more towards older videos, more like stuff from before 2019. And that’s really odd for me bc I do like Phil’s stuff. I really do. But it just feels like the quality or the amazingphil spark, isn’t there for me anymore?

Also controversial opinion but in the last few years, Phil hasn’t really been the most creative and original with videos…. His story times are pretty much the most original as they get these days. I am aware that Phil does not really have a quality threshold like dan does. But anyone remember the toilet tag? Or Phil’s interactive videos?? Or That quiz show thing he did a few years back?? Is Phil a creative guy? Yes. But I feel like he’s lost his spark creativity and it makes me a little sad.

Sorry for the long waffle for my return, who knows, maybe writing this out will finally release that q&a video Phil asked us questions for on ig stories back in January but I’m beginning wonder if he just forgot about it. :(

TL DR: Phil could just be creatively burned out and maybe it’s shown for a while and maybe that’s why he’s not posting.
Oh I 100% agree with this. I think he's been going through creative burnout for years now and was probably only posting to keep the algorithm supporting his videos on YouTube. That being said... I actually LOVED his AI video from December. It was really cool and had that unsettling Phil circa 2007-09 vibe to it. REALLY, old school Phil. Then he followed that up with the lazy "What Dan and Phil Text Each Other" video where Dan was over-emoting and being kind of obnoxious. As someone who started watching Phil in 2008 I could say he lost his creative spark around several years ago and he kind of compounded it by his mass privating of videos which I've always had an issue with. He made private some gems from his early days and it's super frustrating.

However, you couple his disappearance this last year with basically grinding his social media presence to a halt it is ... odd. That COULD be a sign of super-burnout. Which is fine. We aren't entitled an answer but it does make one wonder what the hell is going on.
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

Another element perhaps is: Phil's age and that in relation to his current audience vs a potential target audience, that may or may not be something he's thinking about. I know his stories are mainly based during his uni days now because of the boundaries he sets with regards to him and Dan and general boundaries he has with regards to what his audience is 'let in on' in his life. But I also think he must have some idea that perhaps generally a lot of his audience are uni age or just under/over? Or am I making assumptions based on...v little? (Disclaimer: I'm not very involved in the fandom save for on here and reblogging stuff on tumblr) Is he a bit stuck about what to do next because of this?

I also think he's more ill than he lets on. Maybe the long awaited Q & A will indicate upon that topic further and then I can make a more grounded judgement. But based on his inclusion of his migraine pic in the texting vid, along with the obviously blacked out text above it, that was him telling us something without actually telling us anything, imo.

Also agreed with creative burnout, which is understandable after years of him holding down the fort. I just hope whatever is going on, he finds or is in the process of rediscovering, what makes him happy and what works for him.

ALSO (so many alsos) LOL sen noods
literally_formless
butt chair

ALSO I dreamed about getting currywurst last night, which I don't think I've ever dreamed about before, and then Dan posted a currywurst instastory, so conclusion is I'm psychic. 😁
jmorton
butt chair

I feel like my whining summoned Phil. I will take credit for this moment

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

OUR HUSBAND HAS RETURNED FROM WAR!!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I’m glad Phil finally posted the Q & A. Whoever said he would use it as a way to drop some info he wanted us to know sure knows him well. Based on the video, I don’t think he’s burnt out. I wonder if he will start posting more often now that he’s getting used to his dizziness, or if every 2 months will be the 2023 upload schedule. If so, I hope Dan does more Dystopia Daily or something else on YouTube. I wonder how his meeting for his scripted show went. So he filmed WAD in Amsterdam? Wonder when that will come out. I wonder if he’ll have Phil help him edit it.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I genuinely really enjoyed that video and - though he didn't have to - I appreciated the updated on his health. It sucks that it seems it's not something he's ever going to completely get rid of.

I now wonder if that weird device from the Texting video that was on his forehead was part of his Vestibular Rehabilitation? Interesting!

I ended up googling PPPD because... that's the kind of person I am... and I was fascinated to find the description: "PPPD causes dizziness without vertigo and fluctuating unsteadiness provoked by environmental or social stimuli (e.g. crowds)" I always just assumed he was dealing with persistent vertigo that he was just calling "dizziness" as a simpler explanation, but I guess not! There's lots of other interesting information out there, but I'm being a bit lazy and don't want to get over-analytical about Phil's medical history because it's obvs not on me~

Also Truth Bombs becoming Burn Book is amazing?!?!?! I feel like I've seen people point this out before, but it's nice to have it confirmed that they're making some money off of it.

The bit about Phil finding it hard to exist as a private person in 2015/2016 is so valid and I remember this time so vividly. Every moment was analyzed and their friends' instagrams were combed through to publicly figure out he and Dan's exact schedule and life. The thing is though... I don't think it's fair for him to assume he didn't have the most extreme case - like his comparison to Taylor Swift. He absolutely had the most extreme case (give or take a proper criminal stalker, I guess) and it was a product of people wanting to find out if he and Dan were a couple. Sure, plenty of celebrities get stalked and require security, but if they've got millions of people identifying which donut from which bakery they're eating... it's absolutely no different than Dan & Phil's lives back then.

It also didn't help that a youtuber's "brand" was being a relatable friend. Like, influencers are celebrities now, who get a certain level of respect and privacy. But back then... it just wasn't the case quite as much.

Anyway - lots of thoughts regarding that bit of this video. I loved hearing him talk about it and be honest!

Re: DIL - Get that money, King. Telling people to rewatch the videos is hilarious. But also, is this Phil's way of politely telling us they deleted Dil?
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

rizzo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:47 pm Re: DIL - Get that money, King. Telling people to rewatch the videos is hilarious. But also, is this Phil's way of politely telling us they deleted Dil?
Lmao one of my fave parts. Phil demonstrating yet again how he's the best side-stepper in the biz!
Levitating
#relatable

rizzo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:47 pmis this Phil's way of politely telling us they deleted Dil?

:o :shock: :shock: :rainbowtears:

I did question whether the comparison to Taylor Swift was wrong - as in, he did have it as bad. I guess celebrities also have more people around them to protect them (staff, PAs, access to exclusive places where everyone wants/pays for privacy etc)

As for TikTok... why do you think they're going there? Is it a matter of relevancy because audiences are there? Because for what I understood, it does not pay well at all and Youtube is the place to be, if you wanna earn some money
jmorton
butt chair

The Taylor Swift part is interesting. Obviously there's extreme things with Taylor that Phil didn't experience but ... I think of the Voldy Video. That was obviously something VERY private that he made for a certain individual who's name rhymes with ... dunno ... Pan ... and I"m convinced that the microscopic time that was made public scarred Phil in a way we don't fully appreciate. Phil becoming even more private since and then going through 2015-16 was probably traumatizing in his own way.

All that being said, I'm glad Phil released a video. I think, since he is so private, Phil admitting that he was down and depressed about his health was as close as we will ever get to Phil doing something Dan-esque. I miss surreal/edgy Phil and maybe his new "get on with it" attitude will spur him to do more of that stuff. Dunno.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil being on TikTok and tweeting and the new video... definitely feels like Phil is about to take custody of us again and we won't hear from Dan during his post-tour recovery phase.

Speaking of which - I'm so excited to see how his last show goes. I'm also excited for an official version to come out. Do we think he'll go the whole dvd route etc or maybe try and shop it to Netflix/streaming? Or just put it on youtube?
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm I'm also excited for an official version to come out. Do we think he'll go the whole dvd route etc or maybe try and shop it to Netflix/streaming? Or just put it on youtube?
I hope he puts it on YouTube, since I already spent so much on tickets, but I doubt he will. Probably a DVD and Amazon download since he knows how to do that deal. I don’t think Netflix or streaming would be interested in something so niche, but it would be cool if he made some sort of package deal with his scripted show.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm amused about Phil's Tiktoks actually being pretty decent content, as opposed to most of his YouTube shorts.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Catallena wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:32 pm I'm amused about Phil's Tiktoks actually being pretty decent content, as opposed to most of his YouTube shorts.
probably because he recognizes there's money in tiktok :lol:
000dia000
emo goose

I'm going to the Dublin show tonight, as I don't really follow them that closely besides watching their videos I haven't been spoiled which is cool. Hopefully I enjoy it and that there won't be a young age range. If anybody here went, was there a good mix of people?
:cactus:
jmorton
butt chair

Catallena wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:32 pm I'm amused about Phil's Tiktoks actually being pretty decent content, as opposed to most of his YouTube shorts.
IKR! The one he posted yesterday was like a perfect example of a Phil video. Awkward, good story telling, punchline...all in less than a minute.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

000dia000 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:27 pm I'm going to the Dublin show tonight, as I don't really follow them that closely besides watching their videos I haven't been spoiled which is cool. Hopefully I enjoy it and that there won't be a young age range. If anybody here went, was there a good mix of people?
Yes, I’m old and I thought I would be the oldest in the front row, but the person next to me brought their grandma.
000dia000
emo goose

Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:37 pm
000dia000 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:27 pm I'm going to the Dublin show tonight, as I don't really follow them that closely besides watching their videos I haven't been spoiled which is cool. Hopefully I enjoy it and that there won't be a young age range. If anybody here went, was there a good mix of people?
Yes, I’m old and I thought I would be the oldest in the front row, but the person next to me brought their grandma.
It was a surprising amount of 20+ year olds there! I guess his audience grew up. I blended in.

My thoughts on the show under spoiler
I genuinely enjoyed the show, which actually surprises me. Perhaps it's because I did not see any spoilers but it was an interesting format.

My thoughts on Dan: he's genuinely very talented as a performer. His opening song and singing was great. He was fluid and dynamic seguing between parts (albeit he's done dozens of shows at this point so he's had plenty of practice). He was actually good as a comedian, answering back to audience heckles and landing some good timing. Then again, I don't know what's fresh and what's a repeat of other shows that would otherwise nauseat me. TATINOF and Interactive Introverts is in comparison like morning time children's television. If he put himself out there, he could branch out his comedic content beyond self-deprecating humour. I hope he does it too, he has potential.

The show: the first half was the best. A lot of laughs and each topic interesting. The second half turned into a "bash controversial figures segment" which was a bit silly. Then when he began talking about depression in a group therapy moment it brought the mood down too much, with my very own quarter life crisis being inspired by Dan in that very moment, and I felt like he was trying to initiate us all into a cult with him as our leader (to be fair, it was working).

The jokes in the show were...interesting, and I'm not sure if it they were in-line to overall regional jokes and general mockery of locals, but he certainly made a lot of Irish jokes. He also didn't know cultural differences and similarities with us very much, he would make US kind of jokes then correct himself. I believe that if his audience didn't like him, didn't grow up in a more westernised-american-centric Internet, then he would very well be getting bashed right now online for some of his comments. A lot of Guinness, potatoes, dying by famine, and we deserved being colonised. With a sprinkle of anti-Britishness on top for a bit of balance. He didn't really walk the like but awkwardly tripped over it and thank God only his fans were looking and sensibly only jeeringly booed at such silliness. I think an older, more sensible crowd would be genuinely a little pissed by his jokes. If I repeated some to anybody else in real life they would actually be annoyed. But maybe he's like that in every country - making stereotypical jokes but throwing in an "I'm British and white so I'm ignorant but at least I'm gay" to make it OK? He also called his audience members sluts for their revealing clothing and underboobs. Also, I've also noticed Dan tends to seek out male fans for validation and would more likely interact with someone if they are a man or masculine-presenting. In the end of the day, he's a man I guess.

He panders a lot to his audience. A lot of Harry Styles references. I know he is a big artist but I can't imagine Dan actually liking him. I think Dan is too much of a music snob. Also the bubble segment made me feel as if he genuinely was trying to make a bunch of little kids happy. It also felt like he was trying to educate us on social and cultural issues when frankly everyone present is most likely educated in such matters. So, it came across as like a conversation in a pub with a sociology student who is drunk and you can't get away from them.

The visuals were great. Very dynamic and I liked him playing the parts of various insane content creators. The audience loved the craft guy. Although, that little segment towards the end where he shows a compilation of people's videos of things that made them happy left a bad taste in my mouth when I remember the controversy over how he didn't specify the use of these videos nor asked for their permission to be used in this context. Oh well.

Overall, as a fan I would give it a 8/10, I enjoyed it for the most part. I wouldn't see it again, but it was a see-it-once kind of special event anyways. If I wasn't a fan, I would probably give it lower given the amount of inside-jokes and pandering humour that wasn't very accessible unless you were chronically online in zoomer spaces, but then again that kind of audience was who Dan is entertaining so he was successful in that regard. The audiences' energy was incredible, people were in love with him and were hanging on to his every word.

Also, I stood up and was shocked by how short everyone was. Usually when I go to an event I get crowd crushed by tall people. I have to work part-time using elbows and shoulders so I don't get squashed. I was in that very venue a few months ago at a gig where it was fight or get punched. It felt so unthreatening it was refreshing.
:cactus:
mez29
procrastinator

Thanks for the notes, dia, lots to think about there! I’ll be at the Belfast show tonight – didn’t realise it was to be the last one. Looking forward to it with interest.