Dan and Phil Part 103: we're all doomed!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Levitating
#relatable

Based on Dia's comment, I wonder whether someone who's seen the show multiple times would like to share their views? :loveeyes:
I totally agree with you! To me the show felt totally clumsy and sometimes I wonder whether Dan has secretly enrolled in a Sociology course somewhere because YES, he totally sounds like one - although, without the depth I would expect from a university-level learning.

Curious to see how things go tonight!
mez29
procrastinator

Levitating wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:07 pm
sometimes I wonder whether Dan has secretly enrolled in a Sociology course somewhere because YES, he totally sounds like one - although, without the depth I would expect from a university-level learning.
Nah, a chronically online autodidact who's enrolled in a couple of MOOCs at best, surely.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

So WAD era is over. Or is it? 👀
Meanwhile, Dan hasn't said anything about the Belfast show on social media which is kinda weird 'cause he was online on Insta for a bit to unpin all the tour related posts. Like I was expecting a post tour hibernation but I didn't expect him to drop off the face of the earth immediately. :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

he lives! he deserves all the fries and dips.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

Catallena wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:58 pm he lives! he deserves all the fries and dips.
Lovely pic :') despite the sofa crease...
tinaoe
crusty sponge

rizzo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:20 pm
Catallena wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:32 pm I'm amused about Phil's Tiktoks actually being pretty decent content, as opposed to most of his YouTube shorts.
probably because he recognizes there's money in tiktok :lol:
is there, though? tiktok revenue is notoriously fucked up, hank green made a video on it ages ago. essentially they have a pool of money that just gets split between views, meaning the more successful tiktok becomes the less money you get per view. and the revenue per view is much lower than any on another platform. i always see tiktok people trying to transition to some long form content on yt asap
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

tinaoe wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:08 pm
rizzo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:20 pm
Catallena wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:32 pm I'm amused about Phil's Tiktoks actually being pretty decent content, as opposed to most of his YouTube shorts.
probably because he recognizes there's money in tiktok :lol:
is there, though? tiktok revenue is notoriously fucked up, hank green made a video on it ages ago. essentially they have a pool of money that just gets split between views, meaning the more successful tiktok becomes the less money you get per view. and the revenue per view is much lower than any on another platform. i always see tiktok people trying to transition to some long form content on yt asap
I've been wondering if maybe he's got a partnership with tiktok?
jmorton
butt chair

Because I had some time on my hands I went back and looked at some Phil videos that he has not yet privated from his earliest days. I came to a very interesting conclusion doing a deep dive. I'll put it in a spoiler because it will be sorta long. In case anyone wants to read:
There is a video that, for some reason, still exists on Phil's channel that doesn't have many views but is probably the most instructive video of who I believe Phil actually is and not this persona he has put on since Dan and Phil moved to London.

I'll call your attention to Phil's basic demand that his actor friend show him his six pack. Confident, extremely sexual and slightly unnerving. This was the Phil I remember pre 2009. Could you imagine even 2011 Phil doing that? It's a change in tone and personality that is startling if you saw any of Phil's videos as time has marched on. He has privated so many videos from this era, ostensibly because he finds them cringey or he might find them problematic right now but as someone who started watching Phil pre-Dan it is weird to think about how much he has changed because he has sort of erased his own history. Here is Phil living the dream of being in a movie, strutting around confidently. In his element. It is jarring to see how much he changed.

Fast forward to Phil's Stereo video from 2020 when he announces he and Dan are buying a house:

Something that I think went under-spoken about is Phil casually mentioning he has pitched countless projects to YouTube, including a SciFi show that didn't pan out (timestamp 27:34). The interesting thing ... it sounds like this was a "Phil" only project. I, for one, would LOVE to see a SciFi Phil project. Talk about a perfect fit! I have a theory that since Phil subverted his on-camera persona to become more of a sidekick it leads people to underestimate all the creative shit he did prior to 2009. I think since Phil has sort of erased the thing that made him so unique prior to 2009, he has sort of cut off his nose to spite his face. Also it sounded in the video like Dan wanted to move on from it because you can clearly see it bothers Phil quite a bit.

I do wonder if Phil hadn't subverted his established persona so much if other things would have been open to him. Like that show that PJ did about 7 years ago. I want to make clear, I'm not blaming Dan for this ... I am saying Phil made calculated decisions to further his career in radio and on youtube. However the unintended consequence is he got trapped into being Dan's sidekick (not Dan's intention) and it's kind of kept him from doing what (IMO) he truly wants to do. Imagine a guy who made "The Basket" doing a SciFi show? Amazing.

This is why I was so encouraged by that AI video Phil did. It had that classic, semi unnerving but still charming thing that classic AmazingPhil had back in the day. If Phil is being denied the ability to be creative in other avenues my advice to him (always) is to do what you want to do anyway because I'd rather go down swinging and doing what makes me happy. It's incredible to me that AI video hasn't had more views because it is really damn good.

Anyway ... rant over. Lol
000dia000
emo goose

jmorton wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:15 pm Because I had some time on my hands I went back and looked at some Phil videos that he has not yet privated from his earliest days. I came to a very interesting conclusion doing a deep dive. I'll put it in a spoiler because it will be sorta long. In case anyone wants to read:
There is a video that, for some reason, still exists on Phil's channel that doesn't have many views but is probably the most instructive video of who I believe Phil actually is and not this persona he has put on since Dan and Phil moved to London.

I'll call your attention to Phil's basic demand that his actor friend show him his six pack. Confident, extremely sexual and slightly unnerving. This was the Phil I remember pre 2009. Could you imagine even 2011 Phil doing that? It's a change in tone and personality that is startling if you saw any of Phil's videos as time has marched on. He has privated so many videos from this era, ostensibly because he finds them cringey or he might find them problematic right now but as someone who started watching Phil pre-Dan it is weird to think about how much he has changed because he has sort of erased his own history. Here is Phil living the dream of being in a movie, strutting around confidently. In his element. It is jarring to see how much he changed.

Fast forward to Phil's Stereo video from 2020 when he announces he and Dan are buying a house:

Something that I think went under-spoken about is Phil casually mentioning he has pitched countless projects to YouTube, including a SciFi show that didn't pan out (timestamp 27:34). The interesting thing ... it sounds like this was a "Phil" only project. I, for one, would LOVE to see a SciFi Phil project. Talk about a perfect fit! I have a theory that since Phil subverted his on-camera persona to become more of a sidekick it leads people to underestimate all the creative shit he did prior to 2009. I think since Phil has sort of erased the thing that made him so unique prior to 2009, he has sort of cut off his nose to spite his face. Also it sounded in the video like Dan wanted to move on from it because you can clearly see it bothers Phil quite a bit.

I do wonder if Phil hadn't subverted his established persona so much if other things would have been open to him. Like that show that PJ did about 7 years ago. I want to make clear, I'm not blaming Dan for this ... I am saying Phil made calculated decisions to further his career in radio and on youtube. However the unintended consequence is he got trapped into being Dan's sidekick (not Dan's intention) and it's kind of kept him from doing what (IMO) he truly wants to do. Imagine a guy who made "The Basket" doing a SciFi show? Amazing.

This is why I was so encouraged by that AI video Phil did. It had that classic, semi unnerving but still charming thing that classic AmazingPhil had back in the day. If Phil is being denied the ability to be creative in other avenues my advice to him (always) is to do what you want to do anyway because I'd rather go down swinging and doing what makes me happy. It's incredible to me that AI video hasn't had more views because it is really damn good.

I do love a good dissection of Phil's secret personality! I am personally feeling that he accidentally became too much like his AmazingPhil persona around 2012 as a defense mechanism, and has a hard time separating it even now. Not that relevant, but the video "Phil the Viking" gave me such deja vu. It's because six-pack guy ended up being on black mirror. Must be weird for Phil: https://indepthbants.com/viewtopic.php?p=62006#p62006
:cactus:
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

jmorton wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:15 pm Because I had some time on my hands I went back and looked at some Phil videos that he has not yet privated from his earliest days. I came to a very interesting conclusion doing a deep dive. I'll put it in a spoiler because it will be sorta long. In case anyone wants to read:

100% to most of not all of this. I think that solo Phil projects would have a different audience than Dan projects - maybe more similar to PJ? - but I would love nothing more than to see Phil in his element again. The AI video had the right vibes, would be thrilled to see more creative videos like that. I don't doubt that Phil is awkward and relatable, but he is also confident and brilliant in his own right.
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

d&p are wasting time not creating a podcast and streaming on twitch
the candlelight by the crescent moon
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Kurapika wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:20 am d&p are wasting time not creating a podcast and streaming on twitch
I honestly think they’re ok with that and/or tired. They spent a decade doing The Most in every popular form of content and it’s probably reasonable to consider that they’ve outgrown doing that much. Especially given they have a pretty substantial amount of money to comfortably live on.

Whatever they end up doing in terms of regular content at this point will likely be entirely for their own pleasure and not out of obligation to current trends or the need to keep up their internet status.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

And there's the End Of Tour post.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Kurapika wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:20 am d&p are wasting time not creating a podcast and streaming on twitch
I’ve been re-listening to their Stereo shows and some gaming videos, and they are just so good together. Those stereo shows might be my favorite content of theirs. I do miss seeing them, but as Dan said, his comfort level is much higher off camera. I would love for them to do something on Twitch or a podcast, together or separately. Excited to see what they do in 2023! Hopefully not any more books for a while. They take too long (this coming from someone who used to work in publishing!)
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Catallena wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:26 pm

And there's the End Of Tour post.
Wow! He’s got a high rip in them there jeans. I love his curls in the 2nd photo. Love the nail salon photo. He’s come a long way since the YouNow in front of Bryony’s nail polish wall.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Deleted double post.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Spoken like a man who is gonna hibernate in a cave for 3 months.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

New TikTok from Dan.

He talks too much for short form video content, I mean even for long form content he's pushing it. :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil talking about holes on TikTok.

I'm an old TikTok bashing hag even at the best of times, but it's hilarious how much better Phil is at this than Dan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jmorton
butt chair

Catallena wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:15 pm Phil talking about holes on TikTok.

I'm an old TikTok bashing hag even at the best of times, but it's hilarious how much better Phil is at this than Dan.
Same. I'm a million years old and my view of TikTok is it's just a hangout for teenagers. (even the use of the word hang out there probably tells you my age) HOWEVER ... Phil is more natural at it. I don't think Dan is capable of editing himself enough. Maybe Phil has found his calling?
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

jmorton wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:18 am
Catallena wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:15 pm Phil talking about holes on TikTok.

Same. I'm a million years old and my view of TikTok is it's just a hangout for teenagers. (even the use of the word hang out there probably tells you my age) HOWEVER ... Phil is more natural at it. I don't think Dan is capable of editing himself enough. Maybe Phil has found his calling?
Also An Old here and Phil's tiktok's def just...hit it?? For me. I adore that man and his deep holes :') Not enough to ever download tiktok, however, so thanks to everyone who posts the vids/links on here and on tumblr. Much appreciated!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yesterday Phil re-posted one of his first Youtube Shorts to TikTok.

I don't have a problem with it and regard that as one of the better Shorts, so I'm curious to see how many other Shorts will be recycled for TikTok.

It has caused some confusion/panic in the comment section about whether DnP still live together or not. :lol: (some are just joking though)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Levitating
#relatable

Catallena wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:10 pm Dan heard us talking shit about his TikTok skills so he took revenge in a way that would really hurt us.
The video in itself wouldn't have worked as much as it has without your description :rofl:

I started rewatching Undertale for comfort :rainbowtears:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

too soon to start saying i miss phil again?