Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Scout wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:50 am Maybe not a popular opinion, but the sims series has always been one of my least favorites on the gaming channel. Maybe it’s because I’m such an avid simmer, and I’m used to watching people who know the game inside out. And, I could be completely off, but to me it’s never seemed like a game they enjoy playing that much. I’m obviously happy about any content they put out though.
I think there was definitely a point toward the last year or so of the gaming channel where they were just done with it but I do think they've come up with a fun way to revitalize it for themselves and for us. I think one of the things they truly enjoyed was the designing homes aspect and I think having such a wider cast of characters to play means they aren't just running a clock down on one sim (which they were for a while on Dil because he'd hit all the milestones). They have their gay self inserts and their already established ones with the good money and also Dalien that they can kinda just go wild with and take more risks.
kavat
pastel persona

I absolutely loved that! The alien cameo was so unnecessary but it made me laugh so much, they are so silly. I feel like they are really ready to kickstart a new phase of the series. And the new editor did a great job!

Also can we talk about the framed picture of their catboy characters?? They're insane actually
ArtyJim
glabella

DAPG has always been my favorite content of theirs but while they were on their hiatus I honestly didn't think I'd want it to come back because I was afraid it just wouldn't feel ~right. But I am overjoyed with the return of DAPG. Both of the videos so far have that perfect dnp dynamic I've missed so much that I can only seem to get in gaming content from them. I also really love the Sims and have missed the Howlters so much ;u;

I will say though, there is a tiny part of my brain that is very cynical/skeptical and has had the thought that they're only doing this because their house build has been more expensive than they anticipated and they desperately need some money. So bring back DAPG throughout the most lucrative part of the year and then go on another ~hiatus lol. But even if that's true, good for them, get that coin, and I'll keep enjoying it in the meantime.
vincentian
hobbit hair

It looks like they are firm on rebranding DAPG into GAYming channel, count the times they said the word. For two guys who were forever in the closet, it's just so hilarious, but heartwarming. :rainbowtears:
Their playthrough looks much less forced than the old ones and they seem to have a plan (!) for the series and not just follow random routes. :o
Waiting until the first spon rolls on, let's bet, will it be video 3 or 4? :rofl:
ArtyJim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:55 pm I will say though, there is a tiny part of my brain that is very cynical/skeptical and has had the thought that they're only doing this because their house build has been more expensive than they anticipated and they desperately need some money. So bring back DAPG throughout the most lucrative part of the year and then go on another ~hiatus lol. But even if that's true, good for them, get that coin, and I'll keep enjoying it in the meantime.
I've been thinking the same, shall we guess what they need $$$ for:
1) house renovation
2) seaside villa
3) :springdog:
4) 💍💍
5) 👶
Last edited by vincentian on Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levitating
#relatable

kavat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:47 am Also can we talk about the framed picture of their catboy characters?? They're insane actually
Can we?!
I know nothing about those games but do gamers usually do that? How could they have become so attached to those cat personas? Is this something that happens? Or is it just a joke with the similar tone of having One Direction's faces in the bathroom?

Glad to have them back! I feel like I'm out of sync with them now, as everything feels rushed, but I imagine it has to do with the fact that we're in the TikTok era of fast content and snappy rhythm?
I enjoy seeing Dan having fun though - he feels more genuine and relaxed <3 :rainbowtears:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Scout wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:50 am Maybe not a popular opinion, but the sims series has always been one of my least favorites on the gaming channel. Maybe it’s because I’m such an avid simmer, and I’m used to watching people who know the game inside out. And, I could be completely off, but to me it’s never seemed like a game they enjoy playing that much. I’m obviously happy about any content they put out though.
The sims was never my favourite content of theirs but there were still a lot of sims videos I enjoyed over the years. As others have said, I think they started really rushing through it near the end and it felt forced then, but I'm excited to see then freshening up where they left off. And also I feel like them fully addressing and making a joke out of cheating the game instead of just setting dil's age back and haru-ing it is growth lol.

I'm on my phone and can't seem to get back to quote the other post I wanted to (man this is really showing how long it's been since I posted here regularly), but about the just coming back for the money thing: I'm not naive to think they post videos for just shits and giggles, but I also really don't think they are in a financial situation where they needed to revive the channel for money because of things like the new house. They are rich, like really fucking rich. I think they honestly missed filming these videos together, and obviously the extra money doesn't hurt at all but I think they've been in a place for a long time now where they aren't doing youtube things unless they actually want to
ArtyJim
glabella

whatdoiknow wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:35 pm
I'm on my phone and can't seem to get back to quote the other post I wanted to (man this is really showing how long it's been since I posted here regularly), but about the just coming back for the money thing: I'm not naive to think they post videos for just shits and giggles, but I also really don't think they are in a financial situation where they needed to revive the channel for money because of things like the new house. They are rich, like really fucking rich. I think they honestly missed filming these videos together, and obviously the extra money doesn't hurt at all but I think they've been in a place for a long time now where they aren't doing youtube things unless they actually want to
Oh I totally agree but as with anything they do I want them to do it because they want to and not because they're obligated to. Again it's just a tiny part of my brain. Overall they do seem to really enjoy making fun content together and I think that's why dapg works so well.

I'm so out of the loop on gaming, especially PC gaming, I only play like 3 games on the switch, but does anyone know what newer PC games they might play? Or what games you'd like them to play?

I honestly would not mind a re-play of some of the classics and I saw someone on tumblr say there are new courses for Golf With Friends which I'd love to see them play.
vincentian
hobbit hair

vincentian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:12 pm It looks like they are firm on rebranding DAPG into GAYming channel, count the times they said the word.
Sorry for quoting myself, it's only 18 times, according to transcript. Funny read, so sharing here (and from the 1st video for reference). :prideheart2:
Image Image
Grey
lady door

ArtyJim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:55 pm DAPG has always been my favorite content of theirs but while they were on their hiatus I honestly didn't think I'd want it to come back because I was afraid it just wouldn't feel ~right. But I am overjoyed with the return of DAPG. Both of the videos so far have that perfect dnp dynamic I've missed so much that I can only seem to get in gaming content from them. I also really love the Sims and have missed the Howlters so much ;u;
I was scared it would be different and I wouldn’t like it as much too, and I’ve been so thrilled by how familiar the new videos feel! I love them so much. :rainbowtears:

Also re this being a short-lived revival, that’s what the skeptical part of my brain thinks too. But logically, they seem to have put a lot of effort into reviving this if they’re only planning to do it briefly to rake in some cash. They really didn’t need to rent out the church and build a coffin and make that weird trailer. They also didn’t need to start “season 2” of The Sims. The effort and thought that they seem to have done here makes me think they actually want to be back, for real. (But who knows).
I'm having a stress.
princesstalsy
dank meme

Catallena wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:43 pm

I knew it was coming, and yet I was not prepared.
Watching this (and basically all joint content this year) in 2023 feels like a fever dream like I haven't felt this level of what can only be described as fangirl since peak danandphil stanning circa 2012.

glitterintheair
phillluminati

Hello guys, long time no see!
Well what I can say — I am overjoyed to have my favourite channel back. I really thought it was dead for good but I am glad I was proved wrong. Really enjoyed the first two videos of this new dapg era, they seem relaxed and more at ease, but it’s still Them and it’s like no time has passed. I hope we’re getting Spooky Week and mostly important GAMINGMAS, which was always my favourite time of the year.
I am curious to know if reviving the gaming channel was something planned from the start, though. My mind keeps telling me that it wasn’t. Decisions like aging Dil or ending things like Dan vs Phil make me believe they weren’t really sure the gaming channel would ever come back. I’d love for them to talk about it but for now I am just enjoying this new content.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:51 am I am curious to know if reviving the gaming channel was something planned from the start, though. My mind keeps telling me that it wasn’t. Decisions like aging Dil or ending things like Dan vs Phil make me believe they weren’t really sure the gaming channel would ever come back. I’d love for them to talk about it but for now I am just enjoying this new content.
Based on the things you mentioned, I definitely don't think they ever had concrete plans to come back. I think they had endings to those things to leave a satisfying conclusion for the viewers (and for themselves) in case they never did come back. Who knows how sure/unsure they were about ever returning though. We all know dan hates commitment lol so I think it was probably easier for them to just completely close things off, and then do what they're doing now with kinda starting anew if they did decide this is what they wanted. Definitely glad they decided in the end to come back though! It's been so fun to watch their gaming videos again and see old familiar faces (usernames) on here
kavat
pastel persona

im not used to this much content!!

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

That's the closest an AmazingPhil video has been to being R rated (so far) (because the future is bright)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

As a Simmer™️, I get you, but they have a playing style that I really enjoy to watch - they try new things, you know? They just really go for it and I love it for them

The only thing I don’t really like is that they aren’t really clear about how they play. They’ve cheated before and they never talk about it! The Dil becoming an adult again was okay by me, bc it was a joke, but I would rather they talked more about cheats and gaming processes on the videos, bc I’m into it 🤓
the candlelight by the crescent moon
scientia
phabergé

I so hope they do a return of the wintery holiday theme/vibes...to me that was the best of the best of DAPG! Tons of nostalgia for their old apartment game room
princesstalsy
dank meme

ArtyJim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:55 pm I will say though, there is a tiny part of my brain that is very cynical/skeptical and has had the thought that they're only doing this because their house build has been more expensive than they anticipated and they desperately need some money. So bring back DAPG throughout the most lucrative part of the year and then go on another ~hiatus lol. But even if that's true, good for them, get that coin, and I'll keep enjoying it in the meantime.
Seeing a few comments about how these guys are rich boys so this is prob not the case, but I agree with you ArtyJim!! Did a bit of digging and it's been a slower few years for them financially.

For example, in 2019, the total equity of Dan's company was 3.1 million!!! Compared to last year, 2022 the total equity was just over 1.8 (omg boo hoo only 1.8 million LMFAO). But still, quite a drop.

For Phil, the total equity of his company in 2019 was also hovering around 3.1 mill, and by 2022 it's dropped to 2.3.

Obviously there's no filing for 2023 yet but we can assume it's dropped further for Phil, though probably not so much for Dan considering his tour.

Anyways, all to say that as much as the gaming channel has been brought back for creative and personal reasons, and it's obvious that they enjoy making this content and are in a place where they can just make content for fun and not really have to worry about the numbers, it's still a good financial move to make!! Can't hurt to make a bit more $$ and bring those numbers back up.

If anyone's interested, I can cite my references!!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Merch drop incoming.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm so curious to see what 'Dan and Phil' merch looks like in 2023?

The candlemaker they worked with had a special project last week so... maybe a candle?!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A shirt that says I Survived The Dan And Phil Games Hiatus :lol:

Crazy how early in the year we had Dan on a solo tour and Phil going ages without a sign of life, and now we *gestures around wildly* ALL OF THIS.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Spooky merch!
tbh I'm not interested in this, but surely they didn't revive the shop for just this one item. I suspect more merch is coming soon for the holiday season.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
phancon
delia smith

Their tumblr post revealed the return of spooky week is confirmed! I'm excited!
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

The speed with which Phil recognised
Sister Daniel
in that video... :gayaf:
ignacio
smol bean
Pronouns: he/him

000dia000
emo goose

Kurapika wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:06 pm
As a Simmer™️, I get you, but they have a playing style that I really enjoy to watch - they try new things, you know? They just really go for it and I love it for them

The only thing I don’t really like is that they aren’t really clear about how they play. They’ve cheated before and they never talk about it! The Dil becoming an adult again was okay by me, bc it was a joke, but I would rather they talked more about cheats and gaming processes on the videos, bc I’m into it 🤓
As someone who knows nothing about the Sims, or most games they have played, I'm really curious about all the various ways they have cheated. They notoriously lie, so I don't know why this is so surprising to me.
:cactus: