Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

princesstalsy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:41 am For example, in 2019, the total equity of Dan's company was 3.1 million!!! Compared to last year, 2022 the total equity was just over 1.8 (omg boo hoo only 1.8 million LMFAO). But still, quite a drop.

For Phil, the total equity of his company in 2019 was also hovering around 3.1 mill, and by 2022 it's dropped to 2.3.
I agree that they aren't DESPERATE for cash but I don't think they would come back with such a BANG if they weren't interested in the $$ from it. It's a creative outlet for them, yes, but their net worth is largely a function of treating it like a business. Also, as someone building a flat from scratch despite a similar high net worth, that shit is EXPENSIVE yo and I'm sure their cash flow is down with very little new merch and dan's inability to post on his main channel.

Still DESPERATE for the Phil + Hank Green Business of Youtube podcast I have been trying to manifest since 2018

But spend some of that adsense on a dog adoption please. It would make you happy and also provide content.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

So excited for spooky week again! I'm just about to watch the video now, and had to scroll down for ages in the comments to find the list of jumpscares, so in case anyone else can't watch the spooky week vids without the jumpscare timestamps, I've put them under the cut. This was directly copy and pasted from the youtube comments, full credit to marilyn1176 for posting them, I'm just putting them here to save others time trying to search for the comment.
4:22 the biggest jumpscare of your life
11:19 (really just volume) Phil gets scared at nothing, which scares Dan, who screams
14:55 very small almost nothing
15:50 dan scares Phil on purpose
20:39 dan yells cause they fall 10 feet in the air
21:21 the machine makes a very unscary choo choo noise yet it scares both of them

The actual jumpscares begin
22:36 huggy emerges and they react exactly how you'd expect
23:42 not bad but they yell
23:48 huggy kills them
24:06 try #2! it still scares them!
24:31 the fucker comes outta nowhere
24:54 the guy chases them and they scream
25:25 murder
26:08 they see him & yell
26:30 they pull a box down, huggy emerges, they yell about it, huggy falls, breaks his face on a fucking metal pipe, and dies instantly
27:13-27:17 flashing lights (actually start at 27:15 and only last a second but i put in buffers to be safe)

nothing bad until the huggy parts, and even then it's mostly just loud except for when he kills you which is actually terrifying lmao
(edit: fixed the spoiler tags.. hopefully)

Also not related, but on the topic of them bringing the gaming channel back for the money, I agree with basically all points made on that. I originally replied to a post on the topic and I probably didn't explain it well as I was trying to quickly type it out at my desk while I was supposed to be working lol but I do agree there is financial motivation for them to bring the channel back as youtube is one of their jobs. I just also get the impression lately that they are at a point in their lives where they wouldn't get themselves back into something they don't want to do just for the cash (since I think they're in a healthier place now regarding youtube, their audience, setting boundaries, taking care of themselves, etc etc). But again, I know nothing about their motivations lol so for all I know they could just really need money. It's fun to read everyone's perspectives on things though
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

It’s so weird how suddenly everything changed. Over the past 5 years I got used to having to wait so long for things - Dan’s book, Dan’s tour. Dan’s DD with Louise. Then they brought back the gaming channel with no warning and now spooky week! So strange, but wonderful!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A tweet I agree so much with!! SHORT SLEEVES PLEASE BOYS.
Levitating
#relatable

Kurapika wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:06 pm The only thing I don’t really like is that they aren’t really clear about how they play. They’ve cheated before and they never talk about it! The Dil becoming an adult again was okay by me, bc it was a joke, but I would rather they talked more about cheats and gaming processes on the videos, bc I’m into it 🤓
Please, can you share more about this? I know nothing but you made me curious!

As the 'they came back for the money' discourse...
Doesn't this make you reflect on how we judge artists who sell their art with wariness this doesn't seem the case in regards to a person who does job X to get more money to enjoy cinema, books, travel, merch even.

It is cynicism, as someone called it, but perhaps due to this wider societal consideration of art? Youtube is literally their job and while Dan talks against capitalism, how would we able to afford recreative purchases - a ticket for a show, merch - which are, objectively, 'unnecessary' to basic needs of food and shelter? Or even donate money for this forum.

And if the issues with them comes from the amount of money they have, well, someone else pointed out at the difference between cash flow and equity already, but I would also point out that particularly an artist's income is not the most reliable source for stable finances, at whatever level of earning they stand. Do we see Hollywood actors in the same way? Musicians? Kpop artists?

I'm not saying 'yay capitalism' but of course they need a job - to keep themselves busy (doing nothing must be boring); to pay their bills & enjoy life; they simply were lucky enough to be able to find a job that they also enjoy/it's not as physically troublesome as manual labour or as demanding as finance or whatever :shrug:
princesstalsy
dank meme

princesstalsy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:41 am Seeing a few comments about how these guys are rich boys so this is prob not the case, but I agree with you ArtyJim!! Did a bit of digging and it's been a slower few years for them financially.

For example, in 2019, the total equity of Dan's company was 3.1 million!!! Compared to last year, 2022 the total equity was just over 1.8 (omg boo hoo only 1.8 million LMFAO). But still, quite a drop.

For Phil, the total equity of his company in 2019 was also hovering around 3.1 mill, and by 2022 it's dropped to 2.3.

Obviously there's no filing for 2023 yet but we can assume it's dropped further for Phil, though probably not so much for Dan considering his tour.

Anyways, all to say that as much as the gaming channel has been brought back for creative and personal reasons, and it's obvious that they enjoy making this content and are in a place where they can just make content for fun and not really have to worry about the numbers, it's still a good financial move to make!! Can't hurt to make a bit more $$ and bring those numbers back up.

If anyone's interested, I can cite my references!!
Just to expand on my comment about this, I was fully agreeing that them 'coming back with a bang' is partly financially motivated! How can it not be, this is a great financial move for them.

Also to elaborate on the $ numbers I provided, that's just what their company filed as equity - important to understand that that's not cash in pocket! They have employees, production costs, TAXES, etc. and at the end of the day, your company bringing in under 2 mill definitely does not mean you're rolling in dough and never have to work again lol. This is their job after all.

However you know they're doing PRETTY ALRIGHT considering how Dan is always dripped out in designer lol.

I'm just happy for sm more joint content, happy to see that they're making content that they really seem to like, the nostalgia of watching them like this again is bringing me back to prime stan days, feels like 2011 except they're happier and open and not as guarded.

Dan and Phil, for you and you only I will turn off my AdBlock so you may generate ad revenue off me :sunshine:
literally_formless
butt chair

I hope most people are fully joking about them coming back to DAPG because of their mortgage. This has been their actual serious job since at least 2012!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

:ghost:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jmorton
butt chair

Catallena wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:42 pm

:ghost:
That game was legit terrifying and I might have wee'd myself.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Just copying the list of jumpscares here again under the spoiler. They were much easier to find in the comments this time (as opposed to yesterday's video where I felt like I was scrolling for ages lol) but putting them here for ease of locating for others in case they do end up buried in the comments again. Full credit to d25102 in the youtube comments.

(mods, please let me know if copying and pasting others' timestamps here is frowned upon or against any rules - just putting them here to help out the other scaredy-cats, but I can stop doing this and you can delete these posts if needed)
LIST OF JUMPSCARES :
4:44 get moosed
5:32 tiny scare
7:08 tiny scare
7:35 medium scare
10:32 big scare
12:27 tiny scare
13:27 worst one /j
13:44 teeny scare
14:36-14:42 big scare
15:05 again
15:10 SPIDERS (thank you boobymcfooby)
15:34 tiny scare
15:58 big scare
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

That honestly might be my new favorite spooky week video??? This is also my first spooky week watching without reading the jumpscare timestamps so that might help with the immersion. (But thanks for copying those over whatdoiknow, me two years ago would have appreciated it!)

I still haven't fully comprehended that we get these videos every day...until Halloween? That's how this works, right? I am in shock lol
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

long time no see!
i've been thinking about posting here for the past week since we've been getting so much content and i don't know what to do with myself asdlajsdklsa
i didn't know how much i needed the gaming channel back until i started feeling the same joy and comfort the notis and the videos gave me.

i don't know whether they restarted the channel for financial reasons but i imagine that they had so much going on with the moving and the never ending renovations that they couldn't allow themselves to have the conversation until some time ago.
yes, i think it's very clear that they've planned it a little better. the alien clip explaining why dil is back to being young seemed, to me, a great example of them wanting to have fun with it and being willing to plan ahead and see where they want things to go.

i paused the don't scream video to come see what the feeling was here about the resurrection of dapg and i'm glad we're all enjoying it so much.

i'm gonna go back to almost peeing myself but i can't express my joy over the return of dapg. when it went on hiatus i was about to start a course of studies and now i'm nearing the end of it and it's beautiful to see how the feeling i get when i watch them hasn't changed, so much peace of mind... sorry i got a bit too cheesy but :rainbowtears: few things have made me feel what dnp make me feel so i'm very grateful rn.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
tinaoe
crusty sponge

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:05 pm
Still DESPERATE for the Phil + Hank Green Business of Youtube podcast I have been trying to manifest since 2018

goodddddd same. i'm still holding onto hope that one of them will at least pop up on dear hank and john at some point, they're already part of the lore! and i did really enjoy john & dan's talks during the book promotion. if not a podcast maybe a guest appareance during the p4a livestreams?? i'm actually a bit surprised they never joined in there
Levitating
#relatable

I keep writing in the wrong thread!

Anyhow, what I wanted to say is that Dan looks fiiiiiiiiiine in this last video. Like, actually rather attractive!

It is also rather endearing to notice how Phil used to be the hot mysterious one in his My space era or whatever because now, a for years, he is the fluffy nice guy.

As for spooky week, I unfortunately have never been able to enjoy them because I cannot stand the screaming or rather the sudden jump of sound and horror is not truly my thing. I mean, I think their videos are not scary, certainly. I just don't like the aesthetic of the games they play but mostly, and crucially, the changes in volume... of whatever video they do, actually, but spooky week videos are particularly noisy.

Sad to miss them!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

:bat:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
greenergrass
stress mushroom

jumpscare timestamps, thanks to janeaneserrano3915 in the youtube comments:
Jumpscare SPOOK section 15:14-16:14
Mild jumpscare at 21:26 🫶🏼
Small jumpscare at 22:36
Tiny jumpscare 24:35
Running jumpscare 24:50
Noise jumpscare 26:58
Idk if this scares anyone but me 28:07 🥲
Rizz jumpscare 28:59
Semi flashing bright lights warning 30:42-31:01
Mild jumpscare 32:36
Sudden small scare 33:50
Boss fight section 34:03
Pissed my pants scary omg I saw the light 36:15
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first spooky game, but the last two were so. fun. and such genuinely good games! Don’t Scream allowed them to just game and not yell the whole time and I loved it. The golf one was a lovely surprise and Dan was having the time of his life, it was nice seeing him enjoy something.
the candlelight by the crescent moon
vincentian
hobbit hair

I got zero spooks, but it was a comfort video. Forever amazed by dedication, but randomness of their gameplay. What if you miss a step?
Almost got spooked by Phil there, but he's talking to the slenderguy. :lol:
kavat
pastel persona

I am big baby and had to watch both Don't scream and the golf game with my hand covering most of the screen because I refuse to have nightmares about flesh eating caddy lads. But I still enjoyed the videos a lot, and the editing of the golf one was great. The spider man crawling across Dan's hat? Excellent.
grannypants
living flop

Wow I haven’t been on here since 2016! Just wanted to drop in and say how great it is to have the gaming channel back, I’ve often rewatched the old ones when I feel sad or nostalgic (especially the sims and spooky week series) so it’s lovely to have new content!

Also they both seem so much lighter and happier now 🖤 so wonderful to see.
"don't mind me, just having a little float" - dan howell
jmorton
butt chair

As an aside i am fully in favor of the game selection for spooky week so far. I felt in the past the games were a bit too cutesy and uninspired during spooky week (aside from the odd Evil Within 2 and Resident Evil .... and PT). The games so far have been quite good. Don't Scream almost made me wee myself.
blu
squish

greenergrass
stress mushroom

kavat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:02 am I am big baby and had to watch both Don't scream and the golf game with my hand covering most of the screen because I refuse to have nightmares about flesh eating caddy lads. But I still enjoyed the videos a lot, and the editing of the golf one was great. The spider man crawling across Dan's hat? Excellent.
Same! I usually just cover the main screen (and look at the small dan and phil square) during the jumpscares only, but the golf video was just creepy overall and I had my hand covering the screen for pretty much the whole second half of the video.

Also scrolling through the youtube comments to find the jumpscares always makes me feel so old lmao. Half the comments are like "omg I love how I'm still watching dapg at the ripe old age of 21" and I'm like dude I was older than that the first time around. I love that this forum at least has always skewed older.
nicky1388
spork

whatdoiknow wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:59 pm
kavat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:02 am I am big baby and had to watch both Don't scream and the golf game with my hand covering most of the screen because I refuse to have nightmares about flesh eating caddy lads. But I still enjoyed the videos a lot, and the editing of the golf one was great. The spider man crawling across Dan's hat? Excellent.
Same! I usually just cover the main screen (and look at the small dan and phil square) during the jumpscares only, but the golf video was just creepy overall and I had my hand covering the screen for pretty much the whole second half of the video.

Also scrolling through the youtube comments to find the jumpscares always makes me feel so old lmao. Half the comments are like "omg I love how I'm still watching dapg at the ripe old age of 21" and I'm like dude I was older than that the first time around. I love that this forum at least has always skewed older.
same. i watch them in full light and half pay attention or i cry. lol.

also, yes, people acting like 21 is old. i commisserated with Dan about it at WAD when i met him. i was like, 'i'm 34 and you helped me a lot and this kid behind me is 16 and i'm floored'. he was too.

also, Dan calling Phil 'honey' has solved all my problems and set me free.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan tweet:
I wonder if the lack of video promo today is because they don't want to distract from Gaza?

edit: phil rt'ed
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr