Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I'm so glad they commissioned Usagi for the merch! Such a great choice for sexy catboy art (and I hope they frame the art and put it up next to their FF catsonas)

The video was just so incredibly soft and wonderful. I feel like I was watching them with rose tinted glasses. They were just so touchy and enjoyed the cats so much.

I keep having "how is this real??" feelings over and over :rainbowtears:
parallel
phabergé

onceinaugust wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:40 am

I love Phil. :rainbowtears:
holy shit LMFAO
Levitating
#relatable

parallel wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:07 pm

holy shit LMFAO

I cannot bring myself to swear but, honestly, this feels like the only appropriate reaction.

Love it that he's feeding on within-fandom jokes/memes. It reinforces the sense of community we share.

ALSO yes, as someone pointed out: Dan leaning on Phil while saying Who knows what else we'll do :shock: :shock: :shock: :stan:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Late night Instastories from Dan:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Nothing is more terrifying than being perceived by Dan and Phil.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

My second hand embarrassment will never recover from "They're wrestling!"
That is all.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
kavat
pastel persona

I'm not super comfy with them going into fan spaces when specifically told not to... They're usually better than that.

The video was fine, not my fave post hiatus. The wrestling comment will bounce around in my brain for a long time though
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It was kinda nice seeing them look back on all these moments. I really loved Dan taking a screenshot of the virtual TATINOF set for the designer. But yeah, interacting with and in fan spaces is always gonna feel a bit... dangerous. One of the descriptions said something about how they're in love, and they skipped over that part of course, but if I was that person (probably a teenager at the time) and found out that they read that I would wish for the ground to swallow me up.

That said, as someone who wasn't a big fan of their awkward reaction to PINOF 1 in GTPWTW, the wrestling thing was very cute and has much better vibes.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
troyiesivanie
tol bean
Pronouns: She/her

Makes me scared for what other spaces they are in
But also so nice that they are comfortable to leave that in the video (like the screen grab where you can read the “they’re in love” comment) they don’t care if people think that which is is nice to see them not care too much and just love how they want to live, no pressure!!
riorphan2013
first-time poster

I am so distracted by the light reflecting on Phil's glasses in the current setup. MOVE OVER PHIL.

(Longtime lurker hello)
FortuneCookie
smol bean

It’s both terrifying and fun to watch them into this spaces, I think i could live without this video, even though I’m a sucker for nostalgia and memories. This new era is definitely something else.
gnostic
stress mushroom

I find it interesting that people post content about celebrities out there on the open on the internet, and then have such visceral reaction when those celebrates find it. Especially online celebrities.

I get being protective of there's danger of hordes of angry fans harassing the person that originally put out the fan content. But other than that I just...sort of don't understand the reaction? I feel like if you put something on the internet, you own the risk anyone from the celeb to your mum to your future employer can find it and putting "dni!!" Isn't a fix to that.

Maybe because I grew up with an earlier internet era.
Just here for the marketing skills
princesstalsy
dank meme

gnostic wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:35 am I find it interesting that people post content about celebrities out there on the open on the internet, and then have such visceral reaction when those celebrates find it. Especially online celebrities.

I get being protective of there's danger of hordes of angry fans harassing the person that originally put out the fan content. But other than that I just...sort of don't understand the reaction? I feel like if you put something on the internet, you own the risk anyone from the celeb to your mum to your future employer can find it and putting "dni!!" Isn't a fix to that.

I feel like it's a nuanced conversation for sure. Like if celebs/creators are irresponsible with how they do it, it can def result in directing overwhelming criticism/hate to a fan.

But this notion of "celeb in question SHOULDN'T enter/interact in OUR spaces, it's violating, it's not their place" is a bit silly. The fan content is about THEM. If they look up their own names on social media, Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube, they're going to get swaths of fan content about THEM - fan edits, fan art, fan cams, fanfic that range from sweet to absolutely bonkers like... that's the reality of their situation. It's not violating to FANS that this content is out there and readily available for their view. And after what these two have gone through with their own fanbase, are we reallyyyy going to try to lecture them on "violating people's privacy" hahaha. It's also not like they're infiltrating anything to find this content - they looked up their names on Roblox, they didn't go undercover on a fan forum (;

Sure it can be embarrassing that D&P saw what you created but oh well! They aren't mad at you, they didn't put you on blast, and in my opinion, every time they have used fan content in their content, they are respectful with it. I guarantee that the type of content they've seen about their own selves has been 10x more embarrassing for them over the years.

If they want to make a video for nostalgia points and appreciate some fan content and have some fun with it, especially saying and doing things that wouldn't have ever been in a video in the past, I personally don't see the harm. But I'm really interested in other people's opinions and perspectives.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

NEW AMAZINGPHIL VIDEO

also instastories from earlier today and just now:
xoxo gossip phil
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

gnostic wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:35 am I find it interesting that people post content about celebrities out there on the open on the internet, and then have such visceral reaction when those celebrates find it. Especially online celebrities.

For me I feel like I actually veer toward the opposite of this actually because I grew up in the earlier internet. Before social media, no one was going to accidentally show the creators of something the fic you wrote, and the lines between creator/actor/etc and fan making fanworks was so much stronger. With current new media fandoms I've definitely managed to adjust my mindset some but I still prefer creators that respect areas that are for fans to talk to fans.

(And I just enjoy having spaces not driven by notice culture where everything becomes a performative act to get their attention instead of a discussion space or creation space just for fans directed at other fans).
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Levitating wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:31 pm
It mostly looks small to me which is very strange. Even if they do not cook, that's smaller than any middle-class kitchen I've ever seen
I know it's been ages since you wrote this but I am inspired to answer. Perhaps you have not lived in a major city? I'm from Chicago and seen plenty of upper middle class homes with kitchens that size. And Chicago is a less dense and less expensive city than London.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:36 pm

For me I feel like I actually veer toward the opposite of this actually because I grew up in the earlier internet. Before social media, no one was going to accidentally show the creators of something the fic you wrote, and the lines between creator/actor/etc and fan making fanworks was so much stronger. With current new media fandoms I've definitely managed to adjust my mindset some but I still prefer creators that respect areas that are for fans to talk to fans.

(And I just enjoy having spaces not driven by notice culture where everything becomes a performative act to get their attention instead of a discussion space or creation space just for fans directed at other fans).
This is basically my take as well. I think it's healthy for both them and us to have our own spaces. And especially if they are going to broadcast fan works/spaces to an audience without that person's consent (I'm mostly not happy with them going into the roblox game that explicitly said that they didn't want them to see it).

Previously they have been pretty good about reacting to things that was submitted to them for that exact purpose, be it the old tumblr videos, the meme recaps or even the confessions phil just asked for. I remember that there was controversy (I think with a tumblr video) where someone submitted someone else's fanart and I really understand that someone might be upset by that.

This forum is no different. This is _our_ space where we talk about our opinions and experiences within the fandom. I don't want them to be here, not because I'm ashamed of what we talk about, but because it's not _for_ them. And they've expressed before that they know what our spaces are and like to be respectful.

I think the line has blurred significantly over the last couple of years because of the algorithms of social media. Tiktok gives no fucks about who you follow, it will serve you content it thinks you will like, so there is no safe fan space there because anything can show up on their fyp at any time. Twitters for you tab is now basically the same, meaning that you get served tweets outside of your following and we are no longer safe there either, where it used to be fine if you just didn't tag them.

I think it's an interesting discussion over all and I do understand both sides. The roblox videos just felt a little out of character for them which is why I had a reaction to it
gnostic
stress mushroom

kavat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:48 am
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:36 pm

This is basically my take as well. I think it's healthy for both them and us to have our own spaces. And especially if they are going to broadcast fan works/spaces to an audience without that person's consent (I'm mostly not happy with them going into the roblox game that explicitly said that they didn't want them to see it).

Previously they have been pretty good about reacting to things that was submitted to them for that exact purpose, be it the old tumblr videos, the meme recaps or even the confessions phil just asked for. I remember that there was controversy (I think with a tumblr video) where someone submitted someone else's fanart and I really understand that someone might be upset by that.

This forum is no different. This is _our_ space where we talk about our opinions and experiences within the fandom. I don't want them to be here, not because I'm ashamed of what we talk about, but because it's not _for_ them. And they've expressed before that they know what our spaces are and like to be respectful.

I think the line has blurred significantly over the last couple of years because of the algorithms of social media. Tiktok gives no fucks about who you follow, it will serve you content it thinks you will like, so there is no safe fan space there because anything can show up on their fyp at any time. Twitters for you tab is now basically the same, meaning that you get served tweets outside of your following and we are no longer safe there either, where it used to be fine if you just didn't tag them.

I think it's an interesting discussion over all and I do understand both sides. The roblox videos just felt a little out of character for them which is why I had a reaction to it
I agree about the notice culture but what I say on a forum really doesn't change based on whether a creator reads it or not (as tested many times on rpdr reddit) so maybe that's just me.
for me, Internet is a place where expecting boundaries to be respected is just... silly and dangerous. Of course, it's Good of people to respect your boundaries, and I personally would, but the idea that something can be put on internet and not disseminate publicly just because we said X Is A Private Space is what's odd to me. Perhaps of how I was raised re Internet.
I agree that previous fan spaces were more distinct, but in a similar vein, if I put a 4 page rant about George Martin on the Internet, I wouldn't be able to feel outraged if someone read it to him at a con. I Put It Out There.
Last edited by gnostic on Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gnostic
stress mushroom

On entirely unrelated note, I just received my DAPG back from the dead sweatshirt and it's of shockingly poor quality, especially compared to very high quality Phil merch I have. Did anyone else receive theirs? What do you think?

TBF this was one bit of merch I specifically bought to commemorate the occasion as opposed to an item I wanted, but the quality is just outrageously terrible. Maybe I should leave some feedback.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh shit, big time!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

gnostic wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:21 am On entirely unrelated note, I just received my DAPG back from the dead sweatshirt and it's of shockingly poor quality, especially compared to very high quality Phil merch I have. Did anyone else receive theirs? What do you think?

TBF this was one bit of merch I specifically bought to commemorate the occasion as opposed to an item I wanted, but the quality is just outrageously terrible. Maybe I should leave some feedback.
I would definitely leave feedback.

I know they've changed a lot of operations behind the scenes with IRL and let most of the previous staff go, or just keeps them on an as-needed basis. I'm going to be disappointed if the lowered quality is a permanent change.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Obviously this has been in the works for a long time, but yikes now is not a great time to announce you're gonna be working with UTA.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:53 pm Obviously this has been in the works for a long time, but yikes now is not a great time to announce you're gonna be working with UTA.
I didn't realize that was the agency that dropped Susan Sarandon until I saw my twitter feed just now - yikes. Like you said, I'm sure it's been in the works for a while, but that timing is truly awful and I feel like Dan would also agree.
gnostic
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:55 pm
Catallena wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:53 pm Obviously this has been in the works for a long time, but yikes now is not a great time to announce you're gonna be working with UTA.
I didn't realize that was the agency that dropped Susan Sarandon until I saw my twitter feed just now - yikes. Like you said, I'm sure it's been in the works for a while, but that timing is truly awful and I feel like Dan would also agree.
Fwiw (and I don't want to engage on politics any further in this thread) Susan Sarandon, while making great statements in principle, has also been spreading false information, misrepresenting suffering of Syrian children, and amplifying antisemitic Holocaust denying voices at social media after being warned many times. If I was her agency I'd drop her too at this point.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Oops! Sorry