Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
EmilyRambles
smol bean

The new sims video is so so good! Although I think there are some.. certainly interesting decisions I think overall they did a pretty good job as someone who has a very different aesthetic from them and is trash at building in the sims (I'm very thankful for the pink bathroom because that is very me coded)

I absolutely loved when Phil was trying to make Dan say who in response to his owl joke it's so so funny and sweet. I will not get over that Dan and Phil games is back I truly love it on a different level like it always makes me feel better. ♡
Levitating
#relatable

gnostic wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:42 am
Levitating wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:27 pm
BlueSnoko wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:34 am
Levitating wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:31 pm
It mostly looks small to me which is very strange. Even if they do not cook, that's smaller than any middle-class kitchen I've ever seen
I know it's been ages since you wrote this but I am inspired to answer. Perhaps you have not lived in a major city? I'm from Chicago and seen plenty of upper middle class homes with kitchens that size. And Chicago is a less dense and less expensive city than London.
I live in London :lol: There's great inequality, and they look like they're on a managerial role in a city firm rather than just rolling around in money. The zone would make change price considerably, but as I said I don't think they're zone 1 types (1 being the most central/expensive).

I do not understand who's the 'target audience' for Dan's last picture :rofl: I mean, it's us but how many of us are into that kind of humour? Makes me think he's doing it more for his own sake :D
Re: target audience, and several other posters being uncomfortable, I think this is what they spoke about in Sister Daniel video. This is what they are, when open and loud, gay and nsfw in memetic way (and yes thirsty-horny-jokey-meme is the real subtype of humour and social media lots of us love). They want to be that out and happy, and people uncomfortable are in the least hostile way invited to avoid them

That's rather interesting! I do not perceive it as an invitation to avoid them but simply a 'this is us and *since this is our job* hope you like it'. The invitation - and a hostile one - felt mostly from a strand of phandom* who, while doing good in defending them, were just the usual bunch of kids behaving in that 'you can't sit with us' kind of teenage tone. Because the subject is just two silly Youtubers it makes me sigh with amusement and does not deter me from hoping that DnP do not push beyond certain boundaries of humour (and simply because it is not my humour; this does not mean I will despise them/condemn them/whatever it is if they continue; our humour simply will not align and that's totally fine).

Of course I am aware they've riding on that type of "thirsty-horny-jokey-meme" humour for a while but almost like skimming above it. And well your comment gives me an answer, meaning that the target audience is that involved in that 'subculture' (or whatever the right name for it is). Which in turn makes me question how big it is! The queer community is certainly large, but not all of it is of the loud/nsfw type, I would think? It does feel like it usually is.

I guess it goes back to Dan's dilemma of not wanting to alienate the straight viewers/those who are not into that type of niche humour. And well, under this light, it's nice to see that he has chosen to 'forget' about that portion of its audience and just invest in the queer 'loud and nsfw' type. Good for him!

Just hope that there are enough of them that can sustain them on mainstream popularity. Or perhaps it's time to regain a niche and re-build from it?

*not you; you, as usual in this forum, have been super kind and actually illuminating
thatone
delia smith

Levitating wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:37 am
BlueSnoko wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:34 am
Levitating wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:31 pm
It mostly looks small to me which is very strange. Even if they do not cook, that's smaller than any middle-class kitchen I've ever seen
I know it's been ages since you wrote this but I am inspired to answer. Perhaps you have not lived in a major city? I'm from Chicago and seen plenty of upper middle class homes with kitchens that size. And Chicago is a less dense and less expensive city than London.
I live in London :lol: There's great inequality, and they look like they're on a managerial role in a city firm rather than just rolling around in money. The zone would make change price considerably, but as I said I don't think they're zone 1 types (1 being the most central/expensive).

I do not understand who's the 'target audience' for Dan's last picture :rofl: I mean, it's us but how many of us are into that kind of humour? Makes me think he's doing it more for his own sake :D
Re: target audience, and several other posters being uncomfortable, I think this is what they spoke about in Sister Daniel video. This is what they are, when open and loud, gay and nsfw in memetic way (and yes thirsty-horny-jokey-meme is the real subtype of humour and social media lots of us love). They want to be that out and happy, and people uncomfortable are in the least hostile way invited to avoid them

That's rather interesting! I do not perceive it as an invitation to avoid them but simply a 'this is us and *since this is our job* hope you like it'. The invitation - and a hostile one - felt mostly from a strand of phandom* who, while doing good in defending them, were just the usual bunch of kids behaving in that 'you can't sit with us' kind of teenage tone. Because the subject is just two silly Youtubers it makes me sigh with amusement and does not deter me from hoping that DnP do not push beyond certain boundaries of humour (and simply because it is not my humour; this does not mean I will despise them/condemn them/whatever it is if they continue; our humour simply will not align and that's totally fine).

Of course I am aware they've riding on that type of "thirsty-horny-jokey-meme" humour for a while but almost like skimming above it. And well your comment gives me an answer, meaning that the target audience is that involved in that 'subculture' (or whatever the right name for it is). Which in turn makes me question how big it is! The queer community is certainly large, but not all of it is of the loud/nsfw type, I would think? It does feel like it usually is.

I guess it goes back to Dan's dilemma of not wanting to alienate the straight viewers/those who are not into that type of niche humour. And well, under this light, it's nice to see that he has chosen to 'forget' about that portion of its audience and just invest in the queer 'loud and nsfw' type. Good for him!

Just hope that there are enough of them that can sustain them on mainstream popularity. Or perhaps it's time to regain a niche and re-build from it?

*not you; you, as usual in this forum, have been super kind and actually illuminating
I would not be part of that "target audience" per se - but I still find it funny and I'm honestly at a point where I'll probably go along with whatever they do. I think they're being themselves and with that comes a lot of weirdness that I don't always relate to. But the fact that I'm not being catered to doesn't really make me enjoy the content less. Idk if that made sense.

I do also get that it makes some people uncomfortable, which is completely valid, but I also saw some very mean spirited responses. (which are probably from outside the phandom, but that might be part of why the "protectiveness" became a bit much as well.)
gnostic
stress mushroom

thatone wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 am
Levitating wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:37 am

I would not be part of that "target audience" per se - but I still find it funny and I'm honestly at a point where I'll probably go along with whatever they do. I think they're being themselves and with that comes a lot of weirdness that I don't always relate to. But the fact that I'm not being catered to doesn't really make me enjoy the content less. Idk if that made sense.

I do also get that it makes some people uncomfortable, which is completely valid, but I also saw some very mean spirited responses. (which are probably from outside the phandom, but that might be part of why the "protectiveness" became a bit much as well.)
I guess for me, and where I'd differ from Levitating, I don't think there's a large proportion of their audience that is both (a) invested enough to follow them on Twitter (hell, *I* only follow Phil and see Dan tweets only via Phil), (b) put off enough by their new vibe to unfollow them both AND crucially (c) put off enough through that to stop pursuing their content and support them both. Surely, Daniel still has this obsession of courting mainstream normie viewers, but how many of them follow him on twitter?

(that's separately from the point of how much they should suppress their personalities for money; which, as you could gleam from my signature, I am always happy to talk about).

MORE IMPORTANTLY what is happening to the forum?? why is no one geeking over the 41 MINUTE LONG SIMS BUILDING EPISODE??

ETA: I am an idiot and in fact missed comments geeking out over it
Just here for the marketing skills
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Charlie McDonnell (charlieissocoollike) said on her stream that she'll appear in a DAPG video to play the game Lethal Company with the boys! PJ will be in it as well.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jmorton
butt chair

EmilyRambles wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:26 am The new sims video is so so good! Although I think there are some.. certainly interesting decisions I think overall they did a pretty good job as someone who has a very different aesthetic from them and is trash at building in the sims (I'm very thankful for the pink bathroom because that is very me coded)

I absolutely loved when Phil was trying to make Dan say who in response to his owl joke it's so so funny and sweet. I will not get over that Dan and Phil games is back I truly love it on a different level like it always makes me feel better. ♡
Phil's dad joke about Owls was, by far, my favorite part of that video. It reminded me of when he startled Dan in the Wardrobe video all those years ago. Genuine laughter. Loved it.
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I can't believe we're in the era of legalizing catboys and no one has advertised the IDB sticker. You need it in your life,.

The new sims video was fantastic, the house is so ugly but I love it. It's going in the comfort watch rotation for sure.
kavat
pastel persona

We knew this was coming but yay announcement! I also love that they are working with phanartists, Vic did such a good job with this!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

GAMINGMAS!!! I'm so excited. And just thinking about how even two months ago none of this was in the cards. :happytears:
kavat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:24 am I can't believe we're in the era of legalizing catboys and no one has advertised the IDB sticker. You need it in your life,.

The new sims video was fantastic, the house is so ugly but I love it. It's going in the comfort watch rotation for sure.
I forgot we had that lmao but so true! Catboy Agenda 2k24!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Instastories of the boys looking fine and Dan's Spotify Wrapped:
Love how Dan is always letting us know what he's listening to, meanwhile Phil's taste in music is shrouded in mystery as always.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
troyiesivanie
tol bean
Pronouns: She/her

I love how they are using phan artists for their projects! A true community
And gamingmas!!!!! Super pumped, I have such a busy December I’m gonna save some for jan when it’s cold and quiet haha
000dia000
emo goose

It's really interesting how much work, time and effort they are putting into pumping out new videos. I genuinely wonder why. Do they (or one of them) have some bigger project lined up and they want to build hype for it, or are they putting the money towards something else? I was genuinely just expecting them to maybe post one every two weeks for a while before taking some time off again. They are really going full steam ahead now and I don't know whether to be excited yet about something more.
:cactus:
gnostic
stress mushroom

Shout out to that person on IG that commented Dan's [Phil's] iconic reindeer tweet on gamingmas announcement.

A week ago i was on here complaining about poor quality of DAPGO shirt and yet here I'm now buying the legalise catboys sweater, recent merch choices got me in chokehold.
Levitating
#relatable

troyiesivanie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 pm I love how they are using phan artists for their projects! A true community

Same! Although for the quality of the artist's work, I see them as professionals collaborating rather than just "using phan art". I mean, she's so so good! Hope they paid her well - and maybe a little more :lol:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A strong start to Gamingmas!

(oh my god i didn't think i'd ever say those words in 2023)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jmorton
butt chair

This is probably something only I would clock and think is noteworthy but: It's quite interesting how Phil takes some really distinct pleasure in reminding and mocking Dan's previous life as Danisnotonfire. Phil was the definite winner of this particular video in many ways.

This might be something that only Phil could get away with too. Remember in Dan's viewers dress me up video Phil said, "You're kind of on the edge of twink now though, arent you?"
tinaoe
crusty sponge

000dia000 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:51 pm It's really interesting how much work, time and effort they are putting into pumping out new videos. I genuinely wonder why. Do they (or one of them) have some bigger project lined up and they want to build hype for it, or are they putting the money towards something else? I was genuinely just expecting them to maybe post one every two weeks for a while before taking some time off again. They are really going full steam ahead now and I don't know whether to be excited yet about something more.
A project could be a possibility (I know twitter is wondering about a tour) but I think it could also just be Dan's inability to do anything halfway. When they talked about the gaming channel on Dystopia Daily it really seemed like he wouldn't wanna do just a "casual" comeback but instead a full blown one.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Another year without a man in kilt. Poor Phil.

Tumblr published their Year In Review yesterday!

In the category Web Celebs, Daniel Howell ranks at 65 while AmazingPhil ranks at 69 (hehe). Last year they were 21 and 24 on the list, but this year the category merged with some others so it's a very different list this year. What's far more interesting (and lowkey terrifying) is that in the category Web Series, 'Dan and Phil' has ranked 25th. They weren't even on that list last year, and data was collected until from October 21st last year to October 20th of this year. The DAPG revival announcement dropped on October 15th. That means the phandom was SO annoying (affectionate), it launched itself right into the middle of that list in like a week. That's insane.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
gnostic
stress mushroom

Is it time to sneakily confess Dan v Phil is my least favourite type of DAPG content
howadorableright
sad dimple

gnostic wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:46 pm Is it time to sneakily confess Dan v Phil is my least favourite type of DAPG content
(i agree) it feels a little rushed and 2016 editing vibes which isn't necessarily bad but i've personally grown to enjoy more authentic longer videos which is why i want a PLAY THROUGH (megaphone yelling)
back back back back again
princesstalsy
dank meme

I just finished re-watching 'Why I Quit Youtube' and am feeling some feelings about the juxtaposition between Dan in that video vs Dan right now. I wonder if he'll ever talk about what's changed from then to now, because I forgot about how much his ambitions really seemed to lay somewhere far away from Danandphil content. And also how he spoke about his content with Phil being fun but not the type of content he wants to make, etc. Someone give it a rewatch and pls give me your perspective
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I really wish Dan watches Abigail Thorn’s video about Nebula. It seems that would be the perfect home for Dan’s sitcom.

https://youtu.be/mXoZWCdaD5E?si=Rr_8Li1BUjnQ9zpB
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

For me Dan vs. Phil can be a little bit hit or miss, but I really enjoyed this one. Some great banter and seeing these two giants move around awkwardly is just automatically funny to me.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
ArtyJim
glabella

princesstalsy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:02 am I just finished re-watching 'Why I Quit Youtube' and am feeling some feelings about the juxtaposition between Dan in that video vs Dan right now. I wonder if he'll ever talk about what's changed from then to now, because I forgot about how much his ambitions really seemed to lay somewhere far away from Danandphil content. And also how he spoke about his content with Phil being fun but not the type of content he wants to make, etc. Someone give it a rewatch and pls give me your perspective
I haven't rewatched it but after reading your post it made me wonder if going on tour alone had something to do with it. Maybe he felt like he needed to prove to himself he could make stuff on his own and now that he has he's more comfortable being part of a duo again for a bit.