Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLF
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Catallena wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:20 pm

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLF
Quite a few innuendos and so much swearing! I loved it! I love how the golf videos are long. I don’t even mind the sponsorships, but I hope they aren’t in every gamingmas video.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Possum
squish
Pronouns: she/her

I've enjoyed Gamingmas this year (still kind of in shock that we're getting so much content!). Golf videos are some of my favourites, and the innuendos of post-coming-out golf were excellent. I didn't love the Switch Sports as much (the editing felt rushed, especially the bowling section? I sometimes couldn't tell whose turn it was), but CAH was fun and a good way to start the month.

I have been surprised at how much of their content lately has a sponsorship, both DAPG and AP. It definitely seems like more than in previous years. Is this just the YouTube landscape changing (and creators needing sponsors to make money rather than relying on money from ad views), or is it a choice by DnP themselves? I only watch a select few YouTubers, so I'm just curious about the bigger picture.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I've been loving Gamingmas so far and I'm so glad Golf With Friends is back, I still rewatch those videos on a regular basis, they're easily my favourite part of the gaming channel.

I loved the latest Sims video so much as well and as weird as the house looks from the outside, I think the inside is really kind of nice. I kind of hate watching them play the Sims because you can just tell they don't play a lot and miss out on a lot of options, but it was really fun watching them build something because their building choices are so different from what I usually do in the game.

One thing that kind of bothers me though is them only having like five or so expansions and it's obviously the really old ones. They don't need to own all the packs of course but I wish they'd go on a little shopping spree and get some of the new packs from the last five years (besides High School) to make their gameplay more diverse and more up to date with what the Sims 4 is these days. I can't believe they haven't at least gotten the Japanese pack. It just became really apparent how little Sims content they actually own when you could see how limited the furniture and build mode options were. If they're bringing the game back for a full second season, I'd just love to see Dil and family get to do more of the stuff you can actually do in the Sims now, be it the choice of careers, the different gameplay options, visiting the new worlds on vacations and stuff.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I rarely see a YouTube video without an d these days, I even watch someone who regularly does two in one video. The algorithm can really fuck with your income if it suppresses your video and it seems like monetization gets slashed at even the slightest thing, so creators really on other sources of income like Patreon, Memberships and ads. So with all the swearing and sexual innuendo on DAPG 2.0 I'm not surprised about the amount of #spon lately.

That said, in-video ads have changed to be less intrusive (kinda?) in the past few years. While in the past there would be whole YouTube videos dedicated to whatever the sponsor was, these days it's mostly quick ad reads. Many of them are rushed and sarcastic to the point where I wonder why companies are even paying for it. TomSka did a video last year where he talked about the increasingly ridiculous and offensive ads he kept making for Surfshark because he didn't want to just do ad reads, and how they kept being ok with anything he did. In the end an ad he made was banned by authorities and that still wasn't really enough to make Surfshark stop working with him (I think they did end up pushing back on the crazy a bit after the investigation of that banned ad though).

So if Dragon City wants so spon all the videos without me having to sit though a bunch of 20 minute videos of them playing the damn game I'm okay with that lol.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jmorton
butt chair

I've been mulling over the reappearance of Dan and Phil Games. It's interesting what they have chosen to do: Go all in on merch (Dan and Phil Shop) and spons (Dragon City). The conclusion I've come to is sorta nuanced so if you'll indulge me.

I think it's pretty clear Phil's channel is in the "Wheezywater circa early 2018" scenario, before that Sugar video he did went viral and resurrected his channel . Phil's views are a fraction of what they were even three years ago during the pandemic. Dan on the other hand prefers to go all in on with his projects ... with long gaps in between videos but even HE has suffered from declining views. I think DAPG is a concession to reality for both guys that their brand together is stronger than apart and they might be treating DAPG as their main thing going forward and their main channels as the side thing. Sorta like LessAmazingPhil and Danisnotintersting back in the day.

If this makes sense. Like I think they have sorta understood that they have to go this direction.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Collab of the year, decade, century.

The editing isn't great though, I would've liked to see more of PJ and Charlie.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
princesstalsy
dank meme

jmorton wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:33 pm I think DAPG is a concession to reality for both guys that their brand together is stronger than apart and they might be treating DAPG as their main thing going forward and their main channels as the side thing. Sorta like LessAmazingPhil and Danisnotintersting back in the day.

If this makes sense. Like I think they have sorta understood that they have to go this direction.
Wholeheartedly agree with this. I think that the years of them being more successful on their own channels are over, and they've now accepted that it's going to be most profitable and long-lasting to go 'all in' with DAPG instead of spreading their efforts across main channels with gaming on the side.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Catallena wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:32 pm Collab of the year, decade, century.

Agreed on the editing, and I hope if they do a video like this again with PJ and Charlie and/or other friends (and I would love if they did), that they change up the editing a bit to show the guests a bit more. But I still enjoyed the video! Always like to see PJ in their videos, and I haven't seen much of Charlie especially in recent years but she was funny and I'd like to see her collab with them again. I feel like we get to see a little bit of a different side of deppy when they collab with real life friends and it's fun to get those little glimpses into their other friendships outside the two of them. Their reaction to PJ's top bunk comment was hilarious.
howadorableright
sad dimple

Catallena wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:32 pm

Collab of the year, decade, century.

i know i wish we had all of them on screen the whole time, i would love to see everyone's reactions esp to dans screaming lmfaooo
back back back back again
fioebae
drama llama

I did find it a bit odd there was no intro chat with Charlie and PJ, and yes I agree with others that all 4 should have been on screen at the same time, or switching game views to see what Charlie was doing when she was staying behind etc. I got a bit lost! But then again I know nothing of the game so that doesn’t help! I hope this leads to more collabs though, I love Charlie and PJ coming back :D

Also this tweet from Charlie had me cackling
Last edited by Catallena on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed embed
tinaoe
crusty sponge

with the discussions around sponsorships and finances lately i have been wondering: do we have any idea why they never made a patreon? my best guess is that they wouldn't want to put the pressure of extra content on themselves, but then some patreon accounts just have a "general support" tier or a charge per video and the like.
jmorton
butt chair

fioebae wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 am I did find it a bit odd there was no intro chat with Charlie and PJ, and yes I agree with others that all 4 should have been on screen at the same time, or switching game views to see what Charlie was doing when she was staying behind etc. I got a bit lost! But then again I know nothing of the game so that doesn’t help! I hope this leads to more collabs though, I love Charlie and PJ coming back :D

Also this tweet from Charlie had me cackling
Lol. Charlie mentioning that ... interesting period in the history of Dan and Phil is quite the reference.

Also you're 100% right, the editing on that video was really off putting...it sort of centered Dan over everyone else. I could be that they screen grabbed Dan's pov for the video but ... they very occasionally used Phil. I think if they do another one of these in the future they're going to have to get the other participants to screen grab record and send it to the editor. Bigger and more complicated job though.
jmorton
butt chair

I'm actually startled by how much gray Phil has in his hair. Holy crap. It really popped while he was wearing that sweater too.

When I was Phil's age my gray started really showing too. Phil is going to be 37 in a month and wow. Not ready.
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

Hi! i really just came to say that Amazing Phil is #69 on the tumblr web celebrities for the year which makes me laugh.

Usually with collabs each participant will put their version of the footage up on their own channel so you go to each persons channel and everyone gains new subs. I kinda thought that was the point of collabs but I know Dan particularly has always been wierd about subs given and taken from others so we dont know what their agreement was. maybe they just assume we know who everyone in thier life is already? I know PJ has his own channel where he posts gaming content so I expected footage there. idk anything about Charlie and her content at all, ignoring anything that ever happened before this moment tbh since its all water under the bridge and in some cases they were literally different people. I do wish DnP had done a general introduction and shoutout to the various relevant channels, although the notes says its all twitch which I dont use.
FortuneCookie
smol bean

I'm not really feeling the pinof reaction vid, am i the only one?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

FortuneCookie wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:34 pm I'm not really feeling the pinof reaction vid, am i the only one?
I just came to comment the opposite actually lol I'm loving how essentially nothing is off the table these days and them poking fun at their past and the audience perception of them. It's so refreshing after years of them being various levels of guarded. I mean obviously they will still have their boundaries which is to be expected, but it feels like they are very much in their not-giving-a-shit era and I'm so here for it
jmorton
butt chair

I have always felt that Phil really likes these videos and has a big fondness for PINOF (even though I think he is a bit embarrassed at "random Phil") and Dan is the opposite and feels a bit embarrassed by them. This video sort of confirms that for me. I sense that Phil has never been ashamed to be a youtuber and Dan has always wanted something more. Nothing wrong with that. It's the difference in their professional outlooks.

In the way that the whole "Dan and Phil" thing comes together though, as humans ... the fact that they have lived together for 12 years and built a home they could live in together says absolutely everything you need to know about them and their commitment to each other.
princesstalsy
dank meme

Such a stark difference between Phil and Dan's reaction in this one. Phil seems to look back more warmly, can laugh and make jokes about their silly random xD emo boy-isms (and the chemistry/affection between them), whereas Dan is obviously still embarrassed by it, his past self and how they acted together hahaha but also maybe it brought up the not so great feelings/memories of that time for him? Like I think he's being kinda fr with that little joke at the end about this being emotionally upsetting for him. And his energy shifts from the beginning of the video to the end. Not that I blame him, like this is a vulnerable video to make for them, considering their lore, their fanbase.

I think reacting to these few earlier PINOFs is entertaining and funny, but not sure it would make sense or be particularly interesting to 'react' to the recent PINOFs. Would have made most sense if they did like 1-4 and left it at that.

Anyways I think Dan's de-mystifying of the tackle and the 'this is the most fun I've ever had' is hilarioussss.
howadorableright
sad dimple

being real rn as someone in her early 20s depression this is honestly inspiring to watch, hearing them talk about living in shitty apartments and having no money. seeing how happy they are now after they talked about all the transitional periods of their lives like moving and leaving school kind of grounded me and reminded me that this period of life is just kind of hard and things will be okay idk lmao 🤷‍♀️
gnostic
stress mushroom

jmorton wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:48 pm I'm actually startled by how much gray Phil has in his hair. Holy crap. It really popped while he was wearing that sweater too.

When I was Phil's age my gray started really showing too. Phil is going to be 37 in a month and wow. Not ready.
FR why does 36 and 37 hit so different where does time go

Surprised to be a dissenting opinion for this but I actually really liked the pinof react for many reasons. Also burst out laughing for Dan bursting into the chemistry rant. Reminds me of the iconic "Things Dan and Phil Did" - "That" moment, or w/e it was.
Just here for the marketing skills
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I have lost 10 years of my life (and almost my dinner) thanks to that video.

I have kinda made peace with the fact that Dan is always going to be a little embarrassed by his past and his burning desire to always want to overexplain things. I don't even think it has that much to do with not wanting to be just a YouTuber anymore, he'll probably be embarrassed by the current version of himself in a few years too. He'll find a reason, it's just how he is. Meanwhile Phil is and always far more at peace with himself, his choices, his life.

(also babes, please post the new video if you get here before anyone else does. it's very easy! click the YouTube button in the bar above where you compose your post, that will put the [YouTube][/YouTube] code in your post and all you have to do is copy paste the link to the video between the ][ :lilheart:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Grey
lady door

I enjoyed them laughing at their own jokes all this time later.

Yes Dan was being Dan in that video but I didn’t find him to be overly negative about it really. We know that that wasn’t necessarily the greatest time of his life (untreated depression, existential crises, dropping out of uni, etc). That said, I am not sure I want reactions to the ones that followed. As they said, when they filmed the first 3, it was just for fun, whereas the next ones weren’t. So I’m a little scared to hear about that. :/
I'm having a stress.
howadorableright
sad dimple

Grey wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:29 am As they said, when they filmed the first 3, it was just for fun, whereas the next ones weren’t. So I’m a little scared to hear about that. :/
I thought the same, when they showed that clip of pinof 4 I got a little nervous remembering their 2012 era (if that timeline from forever ago is true) and general unease that was going on at that time. Might be interesting if they offer perspective though, who knows
jmorton
butt chair

Id rather not revisit PINOF 4. To my memory that whole era from late 2012 through all of 2013 was really off in terms of vibes. Although an exploration of that era might be enlightening.

EDIT: Not that there isnt any value to seeing how weirdly awkward they were during this time. I just remember thinking that the vibe was really weird during that era.