Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

jmorton wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:40 pm Things we learned in this video:

Phil = Power bottom

Dan = doesn't like to 'receive' doggy style

I don't know how to deal with this new information. Also ... Phil said "am I going to have to bleep half this video" so I guess Phil had a hand in editing this one ... everything that was left in was Phils choice 😳
The description does credit an editor, so may have just been an offhand comment.
:lesbianflag:
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

Also noticed they added a #1 to the It Takes Two title, so there should be more parts!
:lesbianflag:
Levitating
#relatable

What is it the Funeral roast? Is Anthony leaving Smosh again?

I found DnP 's piece on Twitter and Dan makes some allusions to a nose job...? O:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Nah he's not leaving, it was a live event that smosh did. It's paid content (you can find it around social media I'm just not gonna draw attention to it and link it) but someone on Twitter made a transcript of Dan and Phil's part:
It's genuinely hilarious.

New Phil tweet:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
howadorableright
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

Catallena wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:59 pm Nah he's not leaving, it was a live event that smosh did. It's paid content (you can find it around social media I'm just not gonna draw attention to it and link it) but someone on Twitter made a transcript of Dan and Phil's part:
It's genuinely hilarious.

New Phil tweet:
topical to the dan making horny comments conversation, dans entire roast was making sexual references to anthony but that's classic
back back back back again
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
smoosh
tol bean

i kinda want dalien and cassandra to happen. i have a feeling deppy are gonna love the goth family
momentojabali
dank meme

What I don't get is how this all fits into their idea of we are private people and want to keep our lives private. Fine by me of course but I would have never expected the top bunk and power bottom comments and I feel like nobody (sane and respectful people at least) was demanding to know that :shock:
vincentian
hobbit hair

momentojabali wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:18 pm What I don't get is how this all fits into their idea of we are private people and want to keep our lives private. Fine by me of course but I would have never expected the top bunk and power bottom comments and I feel like nobody (sane and respectful people at least) was demanding to know that :shock:
I see that as Dan continuing to own 18+ gay humour on more platforms/channels and slowly nursing on-camera Phil into it as well.
They made same jokes back in 2018 in their yoga section of the Giving The People What They Want video and maybe even before that. It's just humour.

For the Sims video, I am never not amazed how they let things happen and pursue made-up on the spot side-stories instead of fully controlling the Sim, we got some new intel on their school mishaps (did anyone understand how Dan didn't get into his preferred high school?), and at the end Dan said they have gay weddings to plan. Plural :tu: :rainbow: Overall, a watchable Sims episode.

Would it be too farfetched to think that their DAPG revival announcement video might have an epilogue/part 2? Maybe as the Christmas eve special episode?
jmorton
butt chair

vincentian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:24 pm
momentojabali wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:18 pm What I don't get is how this all fits into their idea of we are private people and want to keep our lives private. Fine by me of course but I would have never expected the top bunk and power bottom comments and I feel like nobody (sane and respectful people at least) was demanding to know that :shock:
I see that as Dan continuing to own 18+ gay humour on more platforms/channels and slowly nursing on-camera Phil into it as well.
They made same jokes back in 2018 in their yoga section of the Giving The People What They Want video and maybe even before that. It's just humour.

For the Sims video, I am never not amazed how they let things happen and pursue made-up on the spot side-stories instead of fully controlling the Sim, we got some new intel on their school mishaps (did anyone understand how Dan didn't get into his preferred high school?), and at the end Dan said they have gay weddings to plan. Plural :tu: :rainbow: Overall, a watchable Sims episode.

Would it be too farfetched to think that their DAPG revival announcement video might have an epilogue/part 2? Maybe as the Christmas eve special episode?
Interesting moment in the Incoherent video when Dan was pointing out Phil's quiff. Phil had to say "Im not going to regress!" which was an interesting under the radar moment. I feel like Dan really enjoys Phil 2.0 on the gaming channel and even though it was an off the cuff remark it was notable.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

vincentian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:24 pm
Yeah. I don't think we need to overanalyse every little comment. It's jokes. They're saying jokes. They're clearly a lot more comfortable in their identities these days and that reflects in their humour but I really think that's all it is: Humour. Jokes. I really wouldn't wanna reach and make interpretations about their private lives based on throw away jokes from a gaming video. I'm loving their new brand of unapologetically gay humour but I really don't think most of these quips have any basis in reality (and if some do, only they would know for sure, some things just don't change).
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phew we got a long one today.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
howadorableright
sad dimple

Catallena wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:33 pm

Phew we got a long one today.
i really hope they find their niche and gain new viewership in long form content. with the jenny nicholson video essay renaissance, nows the time!! and for me personally i have a video on 24/7 to pass the time at work so the longer the better. 2 hour fnaf markiplier stream? perfect. 4 hour deep dive into a series i've never watched? even better. so i hope they really lean into that (not just for selfish reasons) because i do really think there's potential there
back back back back again
sugar
eclipse shirt

have not logged on, posted, lurked, anything in a LONG time. for a few years i really wasn't keeping up with dnp, i still follow them, i still get notifications when they post or upload, but i wasn't religiously watching every upload unless the title truly sparked my interest, and tbh im really mostly here for joint content anyway. HOWEVER, the return of dapg has me back in full swing. gamingmas in 2023 is like a dream come true. and now i'm actually going back and watching old favorites that i havent watched in years. funny how i somehow can quote so many of them after such a long break...

anyway, im here curious about today's video, and i see that not many people have commented on it. the thing for me is: a dnp video over an hour long? basically all i could ever ask for in life. however, i haven't watched it because i'm not really convinced its going to be something im interested in. im happy to watch them play any game, despite myself not being that interested in a lot of the games they play, im not really a gamer aside from mariokart and animal crossing. so this video just seems....daunting....bc i will also say that my brand of adhd is such that i either watch something with my full attention or i don't watch it at all. nothing plays in the background. i can focus on one thing at a time. i WANT to enjoy an hour long dapg video....but if its focusing mainly on gameplay thats just not that interesting to me! if i don't watch this it will be the only dapg video ive never seen, the only JOINT CONTENT ive never seen. but an hour and 13 minutes is a big commitment if i currently don't know what the reward is at the end of the tunnel...

SO! has anyone watched it? did you enjoy it? are there enough bants to keep it interesting if you're not interested in the game? i want to watch it but i also dont want to watch half an hour of it and give up because im bored.....half an hour i could have spent revisiting old content that i know i already love and haven't seen in years.....
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

hey idb gang, long time no see! :ribena: loving the revival of dapg. their chemistry is, as always, unparalleled.

i have a question which is a little similar to what's posted above. if you prefer and look forward to longer videos (30+ mins) from dapg, is that because you're used to watching long gaming videos/streams, or because you prefer longer videos in general, regardless of topic? (i haven't watched it yet but i plan to, @sugar, so if i remember i'll let you know what i thought!) i find that the sweet spot for me as a viewer (of any youtube videos, not limited to deppy) is between 10-20 mins, because if i go much longer i think i might as well watch a half-hour episode of something on netflix. for me if there's a video longer than 30 mins sitting in my subscription box i won't click on it until i'm in the right mood, which can take a while. i am aware this experience is not universal though!
Possum
squish

I enjoyed the new video! It was more gameplay-focused than most of their other videos, but it still had lots of funny moments and them randomly sharing stories and giving each other looks (that lingering smile they gave each other at like 47 minutes in has stuck itself in my brain.....). The game is also silly more than it is scary, which they seem to have fun with. It wasn't my favourite video ever, but it was still entertaining and worth a watch.

As for length, for me, this was definitely more of a "this is what I'm going to watch instead of a tv show tonight" rather than a "this is what I'm going to watch to relax for a little bit right after work" video (which is when I usually watch them), but I'm okay with that. I wouldn't want them to switch to only long-form content, but 30 min-1 hr+ videos are nice to put on to just hang out with them for a while (I'll often put on Undertale in the background). It's also like, a 1 hr+ video simply means more content to enjoy! I think I prefer their 10-30 minute videos (and I don't doubt it'll continue to be most of what they make), but I hope they'll continue to do longer videos like this (especially full playthroughs of games!).
tinnie
delia smith

Long time lurker and all that jazz. I've been reading all the comments here recently with the revival of the gaming channels and finally chiming in myself because I do have thoughts about the length of the videos.

I'm used to watching all sorts of lengths of videos. I watch other gaming channels and the videos can vary from 20 minutes to 4 hours and I enjoy both but of course it depends.
I'm too obsessed with D&P to not try to watch every video ASAP which sometimes poses the issue when they post a longer video later at night on days when I need to go to bed earlier and then I feel like I'm watching under a time pressure and don't enjoy it as much as I want to.
Also my attention span is bad but with other youtubers I'm fine watching on 1.5x or eve 1.75x speed and playing on my phone while I do that. But D&P are too precious to me and also just about the only youtubers who don't speak so slowly they make me want to crawl up the walls if I don't speed them up. So I savor their videos at regular speed, giving it as much attention as I'm able to. And doing that with an hour long video is hard. But when they post a short one, I feel like it's a shame because I always want more of them before they inevitably fall off the face of the earth once again.

So I think 30 minutes would be a sweet spot if it's 30 minutes somewhat regularly and not once a month/year. I mean they can kill me with their interactions within 5 minutes but I do actually like games and would like to see some of that too.
literally_formless
butt chair

I really enjoyed the Poppy Playtime playthrough! Phil never drives, does he :lol:

It doesn't matter how long a video is, I'm basically never watching it all the way through at once unless it's only a couple of minutes long. I pause and stop and start and come back to it over the course of several hours in between doing other things and watching/reading other things. Sorry to their retention graphs, but unless I'm in an immersive situation like a movie theater, I don't watch anything completely linearly.
Grey
lady door

Possum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:12 pm As for length, for me, this was definitely more of a "this is what I'm going to watch instead of a tv show tonight" rather than a "this is what I'm going to watch to relax for a little bit right after work" video (which is when I usually watch them), but I'm okay with that.
This is also how I think about the length of video- I’ll probably watch it at a different time of day. I feel like I need to watch each video all once the first time but then when I rewatch, I can stop and start. So a long video like this could become one of my “short time of relaxing” videos broken into parts in the future. But I watched it all the way through the first time.
literally_formless wrote:
I really enjoyed the Poppy Playtime playthrough! Phil never drives, does he :lol:
Agree and that is funny to me too. It’s consistent with their birth order, haha.
I'm having a stress.
Birdie
blobfish

mysterylovescompany wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:00 pm i have a question which is a little similar to what's posted above. if you prefer and look forward to longer videos (30+ mins) from dapg, is that because you're used to watching long gaming videos/streams, or because you prefer longer videos in general, regardless of topic?
I just prefer longer videos in general. I don't watch any other gaming channels, I mostly watch video essays on Youtube so I'm used to much longer videos and I usually watch them all at once instead of a show or movie in the evenings. (I had to watch the new hbomberguy video in two sittings though, haha.) I think 30 minutes to 1 hour would be the perfect video length for me.

I wasn't that interested in the game they chose for last night's video so I haven't watched the whole video yet (but I'll finish it later) but I wish the golf and Sims videos would be longer, especially the Sims ones because with the shorter videos I feel like we're missing out on the story unfolding a little bit. Like, I personally wouldn't need an hour long video of powerwash simulator but I'd happily watch them play Sims, CAH or Heartthrob for an hour or more. It really depends on the game they choose for me.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I normally enjoy long videos as I'll take as much content from them as I can get, so I'm happy if there's more long videos mixed in with short videos. However, yesterday's video was the first video that I haven't watched as soon as I've had a chance to, because it was a long horror game. I can get through spooky week videos by checking the timestamps for jumpscares and being ready to cover the screen when those come up, and that's fine for shorter videos, but getting ready to do that for over an hour is a bit more daunting and mentally exhausting lmao. I will still watch the full video at some point this week, but it's the one case where I'm not in a rush to watch right away.

So yeah my addition is a quite specific situation to this conversation, but basically I'm so down for more longer videos of any kind as long as they're not horror games :lol: (but really I'll watch anything in the end)
tinaoe
crusty sponge

whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:48 pm I normally enjoy long videos as I'll take as much content from them as I can get, so I'm happy if there's more long videos mixed in with short videos. However, yesterday's video was the first video that I haven't watched as soon as I've had a chance to, because it was a long horror game. I can get through spooky week videos by checking the timestamps for jumpscares and being ready to cover the screen when those come up, and that's fine for shorter videos, but getting ready to do that for over an hour is a bit more daunting and mentally exhausting lmao. I will still watch the full video at some point this week, but it's the one case where I'm not in a rush to watch right away.

So yeah my addition is a quite specific situation to this conversation, but basically I'm so down for more longer videos of any kind as long as they're not horror games :lol: (but really I'll watch anything in the end)
oh i get you, though i find poppy playtime is not that scary at least lmao. i watched it earlier and the jumpscares were really concentrated in certain parts and the rest wasn't scary at all imho. here's the jumpscares under the cut, compiled by lelepixel on yt, the comment isn't super far up so i missed it at first:
34:53 huggy wuggy
35:31 huggy wuggy
36:16 huggy wuggy
36:35 huggy wuggy
49:30 pug a pillar (you see it coming tho)
50:04 pug a pillar
51:20 pug a pillar
59:32 mommy long legs
1:02:00 mommy long legs (from a distance)
1:02:20 mommy long legs
1:03:38 mommy long legs
1:03:56 mommy long legs
1:04:35 mommy long legs
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I don't mind long videos, but I am still used to just being able to watch a DnP vid in one sitting immediately after upload. I dunno if I'll be able to pause them like I do with a 4 hour video essay to pick back up at a later time (or god forbid postpone watching at all) when they inevitably upload at a time where I can't watch. I'm weak lol.

But I had this one on in the background while writing my Christmas cards. I'm not a gamer at all so never as invested in the gameplay as others might be + not a horror fan, so for this one I didn't even attempt to keep my attention on what was happening on screen.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
mez29
procrastinator

I don't regularly use YouTube for anything except music and film clips/trailers, and I click "don't recommend channel" for everything else suggested to me. D+P are the only people creating made-for-youtube content that I'll watch – sometimes I give them my full attention, other times they'll be in the background while I do something else, but if they were to put out a four-hour video essay I'd make time for it someday.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil remember his Instagram password. They're the worst influencers ever, they haven't even promoted a Gamingmas video on there since December 6th!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr