Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
jmorton
butt chair

Coming back to the PINOF react video from a few days ago ... anyone find it notable Phil looking directly at the camera and saying "Don't get your hopes up" for more PINOF's. That was about as blunt and forceful as I've ever seen Phil in the 18 years he's been doing videos.
somelikeitpink
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

Edit okay I have no idea how to post this correctly
Last edited by Catallena on Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited embed. tip: avoid the shortened youtu.be links
jmorton
butt chair

I'm going to say this right now. The latest video might just be Phil's peak on YouTube. Brutal and witty at the same time and he went at Dan with zero hesitation. Also it makes me think that Phil should have a second career writing jokes for roasts or something. Lol
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

Loved the newest video, I didn't realize they could be so brutal towards each other but it was nice to see. I feel in their resurgence in the gaming channel, it feels just a lot more genuine to me and less stuff is cut out.
:transheart:
Levitating
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:06 am just a pleasant surprise to hear him call Phil "lovely" and 92384 times in one video. I think he might have a crush or something.
<3 It was lovely to hear it too! Such endearing softness!
I'm reading too much FF these days, where lovers make fun of each other citing animals, but that whole opossum description went into my head as a direct translation of "I am in total love with you, you cuddling little thing". I mean, being a 'carer' implies care for their wellbeing :cry:
Note wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:16 am I wonder if they're trying to strategize a soft launch for being able to acknowledge their relationship a bit more.
I wonder that too! Would be nice! I wonder, too, whether they could really be thinking about marriage. It feels like it's not something they were ever attracted by. I do not share their demography, so I'd take PJ as an example of similar lifestyle: would PJ ever propose?
This 'soft launch'/potential relationship coming out and marriage discourse also makes me think more and more about that phivorce clip ( https://www.tiktok.com/@danielhowell/vi ... 3886971142 ) and Dan 's wording: "have you dedicated the formative years of your life to see a fan theory come to fruition only to see disgusting facts getting in the way..."? - whereby, 'disgusting fact' is the lack of a wedding.
somelikeitpink wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:36 amexcept with my own flat now and even more queer than I used to be.
Slay queen. You're inspiring :stan:
jmorton wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:44 pm Coming back to the PINOF react video from a few days ago ... anyone find it notable Phil looking directly at the camera and saying "Don't get your hopes up" for more PINOF's. That was about as blunt and forceful as I've ever seen Phil in the 18 years he's been doing videos.
Agree! :? And it felt strange to have Dan behaving as he were giving it a thought. Has he finally understood that they truly work best as a duo? :rofl:
000dia000
emo goose

I was watching the video of them reacting to their red carpet fashion looks, and they brought up the BONCA awards. It brought me back to watching this....7 YEARS AGO. This happening live sent everybody into a collective breakdown. Also, wasn't this award very clearly set up by some company to award their own clients and was a one time only awards??

This award show was literally the dan and phil show too! While they did not have the most followers, they had the most fans, so it was all centered around them. I sort of miss these times :rofl:
:cactus:
Levitating
#relatable

Dan sounds smug in that speech, I lol every time.

Because of the self-servient nature of the awards - being a set up from their company and all - and because of how their speech sounds so well constructed, I do think they planned the whole 'join me on stage' bit all along.

I attended the show and saw some clips too: you can see Dan standing up and remaining up while Phil walks to the stage, as if hesitating on what to do. It looked like Phil was supposed to lead him on to the stage but forgetting to do so leaves Dan a bit confused.
interruptfireworks
delia smith

fondsmiles wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:42 pm Hello after ages from me too.

I just watched the new pinof react and loved it so much! I so often rewinded a bit. The gamingmas revival is SO great to me.

I found myself wondering at the many Dan comments there have been now about fan analyses. This time the floor discussion... was that big on twitter too? Dan seems SO informed, i keep wondering if he really did read on here. Still seems like something he might do to me.
this post is from a few pages back so oops @ me replying to it now but i was reading through the pages i've missed.

i was on twitter around the period of the floor speculation (was that 2017-18?) and i remember some people vaguely referencing it but i don't think it was a big thing and often felt confused by it because i had no idea what people were talking about, where they were even getting these floor plans, how this discussion even came to be etc etc. i was semi-active on idb (as in i would mostly lurk and then comment every few months, although i lurk here like everyday now lmao) but it was only really on these dan and phil part ___ threads so if there was floor plan discussion here then i probably missed it and i was even less active on tumblr (i just found it hard to navigate) but i imagine this would've been something that was likely discussed at large there.... right? someone please inform me because i've also been confused about the floor plan discussion but kind of in the opposite direction, if you will.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

interruptfireworks wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:05 am

I just watched the new pinof react and loved it so much! I so often rewinded a bit. The gamingmas revival is SO great to me.

I found myself wondering at the many Dan comments there have been now about fan analyses. This time the floor discussion... was that big on twitter too? Dan seems SO informed, i keep wondering if he really did read on here. Still seems like something he might do to me.
this post is from a few pages back so oops @ me replying to it now but i was reading through the pages i've missed.

i was on twitter around the period of the floor speculation (was that 2017-18?) and i remember some people vaguely referencing it but i don't think it was a big thing and often felt confused by it because i had no idea what people were talking about, where they were even getting these floor plans, how this discussion even came to be etc etc. i was semi-active on idb (as in i would mostly lurk and then comment every few months, although i lurk here like everyday now lmao) but it was only really on these dan and phil part ___ threads so if there was floor plan discussion here then i probably missed it and i was even less active on tumblr (i just found it hard to navigate) but i imagine this would've been something that was likely discussed at large there.... right? someone please inform me because i've also been confused about the floor plan discussion but kind of in the opposite direction, if you will.
that kind of discussion is banned on this forum bc it violates their privacy, yes fans had access to their floor plans but that wasn't something dnp shared with their audience themselves (duh). so it wouldn't have come up here. speculating that they have two apartments based on inconsistencies seen in videos vs sharing the floorplan of their apartment is waaaay different.

whether or not dan reads on here idk, but he definitely knows a LOT and they have a lot more insight as to the things fans discuss than we would hope...the comment about the suitcase in this recent pinof video really took me out
greenergrass
stress mushroom

sugar wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:12 am
interruptfireworks wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:05 am

that kind of discussion is banned on this forum bc it violates their privacy, yes fans had access to their floor plans but that wasn't something dnp shared with their audience themselves (duh). so it wouldn't have come up here. speculating that they have two apartments based on inconsistencies seen in videos vs sharing the floorplan of their apartment is waaaay different.

whether or not dan reads on here idk, but he definitely knows a LOT and they have a lot more insight as to the things fans discuss than we would hope...the comment about the suitcase in this recent pinof video really took me out
I remembered the two flats thing as being confirmed and well known for ages. You're right that obviously the actual location and confirmed floor plan couldn't be shared on here, but I remember it as being a well known "secret" from very early on after them moving to that building. I was surprised when dan and phil seemed to think they tricked everyone and that it actually was a secret, so now I'm thinking it was only actually an open secret with those of us who used idb regularly at that time, and most other fans really didn't know this. I guess we really do have our own perspective on things here sometimes compared to other areas of fandom.
jmorton
butt chair

Side note: As of the last video Dan has very specifically mentioned Phil's (apparently giant) ass unprompted approximately 8 times during gamingmas. Just imagine when the gaming channel started in 2014 what you'd think if that happened. Lol. Now it's kinda just ... baked in to the discourse, so to speak.
Levitating
#relatable

I've been enjoying the last videos a lot. Do we know when the last video will (unfortunately) drop? Is it today 24 or 25? :(
amazing
crusty sponge

it is here!
quiff quonnoisseur
Levitating
#relatable

Too many goods things but two jump to my head:

- Japan as a honeymoon omg. This is totally playing into their own memes/fan theories and I love that for us

- Their scandalised faces at Dab kissing the director tells me that they are totally traditional and might talk/support poly relationships only if the context requires it, but they are very much monogamous types.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Levitating wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:40 pm Too many goods things but two jump to my head:

- Japan as a honeymoon omg. This is totally playing into their own memes/fan theories and I love that for us

- Their scandalised faces at Dab kissing the director tells me that they are totally traditional and might talk/support poly relationships only if the context requires it, but they are very much monogamous types.
I'm sorry in what freaking way does Dab shockingly kissing the director relate to poly or hell swinging??
Just here for the marketing skills
Note
dank meme
Pronouns: he/him

Levitating wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:40 pm - Their scandalised faces at Dab kissing the director tells me that they are totally traditional and might talk/support poly relationships only if the context requires it, but they are very much monogamous types.
Dan would be so offended to hear himself described as traditional. But he is! I think a lot of the awkward jokes about swinging, furries, BDSM, etc. happen because they want to embrace non-traditional sexuality in all its forms, and Dan especially wants to be provocative and transgressive, but they're actually as standard-issue as it's possible for two gay guys to be. Like, Sister Daniel was a lot of fun, but Dan was obviously thinking "This is so weird, this is so weird lmao" the whole time.
Last edited by Note on Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
anathema
morning quiff

gnostic wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:00 pm
Levitating wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:40 pm Too many goods things but two jump to my head:

I'm sorry in what freaking way does Dab shockingly kissing the director relate to poly or hell swinging??
Not that I think we should be reading too much into what they say when making jokes (or lack thereof) on the Internet, as at the end of the day they're going to be private about the ins and outs of their relationship, I get where Levitating is coming from. Through the entire video they were making their personal opinions of marriage ceremonies (for themselves) explicit while still going about the wedding for Dab and Evan. When it came to the part with Dab kissing the other Sim, there were no "well some couples are fine with that"/"maybe he and Evan are open" jokes or anything along the lines of that, or even anything about "open relationships are fine for some people but that's not the case with Dab and Evan." It was only them being like "he's not cheating because it was acting" and they did not offer any other explanation/way that makes it okay.

Again I don't think we should be reading into things too much (though that is the phandom's specialty lmao), but if someone wants to make a case of "Dan made x joke so they could have an open relationship" I do think it's fair to also say "Dan and Phil didn't make y joke so that could mean they don't default to open relationships."
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Levitating
#relatable

Anathema*, got exactly where my feelings came from!

Although, I must say that seeing it so well spelt-out helped me grasp finer details of my reasoning. For example, the fact that it doesn't come from the joke, but rather from the lack of it. Phil's first reaction is to gasp rather than making a nonchalant comment about it. As if it were ingrained to him to see it as 'strange' or at least different to what we should expect from a relationship.

In general this also opens up reminders of how traditional Phil is, as shaped by his family. He's open minded towards what others can do - hence why he would be totally acceptable of polyamorous relationship from others- , but it feels it would take him ages to escape that traditionalist (very British) mentality of what 'normal' is supposed to look to divert himself from it, at least outside of Youtube/being gay.

*loving this username :lol:
smoosh
tol bean

ok i haven’t been active so i’ll get all my thoughts out now

i love how they play the sims, it seems unique. they just let the sims do whatever and they react to it whereas i micromanage every aspect of my sims’ lives.

rip festive day in the life

why does dan keep mentioning how fat phil’s ass is (i don’t even think it’s that big, but it’s not like he shows it much in videos anyways)

i love seeing pj. i wish bryony made an appearance because they seem to be great friends with her but i get why she stopped making content.

i want more lethal company especially with charlie (didn’t know she was such a gamer girl), because it’s hilarious that she knew what she was doing while the other three were just doing a bunch of crazy bs.

if they do more collab gaming videos, they NEED to do a better system of showing everyone’s screen more. that, or the collaborators need to make their own videos.
gnostic
stress mushroom

anathema wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:10 am

Not that I think we should be reading too much into what they say when making jokes (or lack thereof) on the Internet, as at the end of the day they're going to be private about the ins and outs of their relationship, I get where Levitating is coming from. Through the entire video they were making their personal opinions of marriage ceremonies (for themselves) explicit while still going about the wedding for Dab and Evan. When it came to the part with Dab kissing the other Sim, there were no "well some couples are fine with that"/"maybe he and Evan are open" jokes or anything along the lines of that, or even anything about "open relationships are fine for some people but that's not the case with Dab and Evan." It was only them being like "he's not cheating because it was acting" and they did not offer any other explanation/way that makes it okay.

Again I don't think we should be reading into things too much (though that is the phandom's specialty lmao), but if someone wants to make a case of "Dan made x joke so they could have an open relationship" I do think it's fair to also say "Dan and Phil didn't make y joke so that could mean they don't default to open relationships."
Look, I don't want to get #tooserious on this forum, and i don't think you or Levitating meant it this way, but I am so tired about this link. Dab unexpectedly kissing the director was cheating (well i don't know if in-game it's considered as not a real kiss but D&P clearly perceived it as a kiss and cheating). I can't speak for EVERY non monogamous person out there but it'd not have been the first instinct of every ENM person to joke about this being an ENM situation because it clearly wasn't, like, Very Clearly lmao.
(I personally gay gasped with shock)

ENM people are capable of perceiving what has always been a monogamous relationship and acting about it accordingly, to shock of many. I am still not saying D&P are open or anything btw. But i would really like this whole "ENM people would not be shocked by cheating etc" discourse to die out
Just here for the marketing skills
parallel
phabergé

000dia000 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:25 pm

I was watching the video of them reacting to their red carpet fashion looks, and they brought up the BONCA awards. It brought me back to watching this....7 YEARS AGO. This happening live sent everybody into a collective breakdown. Also, wasn't this award very clearly set up by some company to award their own clients and was a one time only awards??

This award show was literally the dan and phil show too! While they did not have the most followers, they had the most fans, so it was all centered around them. I sort of miss these times :rofl:
god this was so insane... what an era lol

Also I guess there they are outright saying that they don't like the idea of weddings. Phan wedding cancelled I guess lol. What interested me about that discussion is that when Phil said he didn't like the idea of weddings, Dan was surprised (e.g. him going "a faff?" in a slightly scandalised tone) as though he wasn't already aware of what Phil thinks about weddings. But it'd surprise me if Dan and Phil hadn't already discussed getting married by now? Maybe the discussion was just "do you wanna get married" "no" and it never got to the point of talking about wedding ceremonies, idk.

Actually, listening back to that convo, maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe Dan was just confused about the specific way Phil put it ("kind of a faff") rather than his general attitude towards weddings.
momentojabali
dank meme

smoosh wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:49 pm why does dan keep mentioning how fat phil’s ass is (i don’t even think it’s that big, but it’s not like he shows it much in videos anyways)
I was also thinking this! It feels very out of nowhere but maybe it's as huge as they say. They were talking about it like it's a scientific fact. I'm always shocked when we see their legs so yeah maybe we just don't see it enough.
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

gnostic wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:06 pm
anathema wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:10 am

Look, I don't want to get #tooserious on this forum, and i don't think you or Levitating meant it this way, but I am so tired about this link. Dab unexpectedly kissing the director was cheating (well i don't know if in-game it's considered as not a real kiss but D&P clearly perceived it as a kiss and cheating). I can't speak for EVERY non monogamous person out there but it'd not have been the first instinct of every ENM person to joke about this being an ENM situation because it clearly wasn't, like, Very Clearly lmao.
(I personally gay gasped with shock)

ENM people are capable of perceiving what has always been a monogamous relationship and acting about it accordingly, to shock of many. I am still not saying D&P are open or anything btw. But i would really like this whole "ENM people would not be shocked by cheating etc" discourse to die out
i think it’s less “not being shocked by cheating” and more would be open to mention or talk about the possibility of non-monogamy. they’re prob very open minded and we know they’re comfortable enough with each other to talk about wanting to be with other people, past relationships, fantasies etc. but, being monogamous, non-monogamy is an afterthought.
the candlelight by the crescent moon
amazing
crusty sponge

people are talking about the anime poster behind phil in that story - i know his dad watches anime, but i wonder if that could be martyn's new house? though i guess he's less likely to have tallphobic decorations lol
quiff quonnoisseur
Levitating
#relatable

What's with Youtube keeping Phil's soup video on the trending page for days now? I don't find it to be the most representative of DnP's videos/humour. Is it, again, because it is 'very specific'?

Not that it's helping with views - stuck at 200K