Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

literally_formless wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:53 pm This is embarrassing, y'all.
Yall or me ? :rofl:
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

Note wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:39 pm Having read through the comments again, I have reached the conclusion that I may have been hasty in assuming the D&P fandom had become a space for me. I apologize for the inconvenience.
As someone who also thought i could maybe fit in somewhere once which is the phandom i don't think i do either :rofl: or perhaps it's this not the best platform for my ass. I always forget how people are actually so different. Weird because i work close to people everyday and see so many different personnalities. I think i see things too naively and have been told this.

I find forums very interesting but also very scary in a way the format is done for discussion.
Panda728
dank meme

As someone who has been lurking here a LONG time, I'm kind of surprised and a bit confused over how anyone took issue with what Note said. As someone who's been involved with fandom spaces including Dan and Phil since 2011, I'd say that at least the vocal majority in these fandoms were absolutely predominantly teenage girls who were Uncomfortably Weird about gay men or men who MIGHT be gay. And Note never even said that the whole fandom was like this, just that a lot of them were, which is absolutely true. I wouldn't blame anyone, especially a gay man, for not being comfortable in the fandom at the time. The fact that anyone's response to this would be "um, well not all girls were like that" is... weird because that was never the point
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

Panda728 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:57 pm The fact that anyone's response to this would be "um, well not all girls were like that" is... weird because that was never the point
I love how people keep indirectly referring to me somehow when i'm right here :thekoolkatz:

To conclude this little thing that some seems ambarassed about being on this forum, i don't care, i'm not offended, maybe i seem, i'm sorry, i word my sentences weirdly, i'm not good with words and not perfect with english and i'm an awkward person, i'm WEIRD :lol: and opinionated. I myself don't understand how people are uncomfortable with me just starting to defend young teen girls who are uncomfortably freaking out about gay men. Yeah i find them cool, yes i have a positive review on them and would perhaps defend the indefensible for some :lol: i asked Note about if they were referring to the shipping or the very stalky stuff that they did but never got the answer. So i'm assuming it was both for them. I'm not defending the stalkers but the shippers ;)
In short, i love and hate these girls. And i'll still defend them.
Panda728
dank meme

TuxedoSam wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:39 am
Panda728 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:57 pm The fact that anyone's response to this would be "um, well not all girls were like that" is... weird because that was never the point
I love how people keep indirectly referring to me somehow when i'm right here :thekoolkatz:

To conclude this little thing that some seems ambarassed about being on this forum, i don't care, i'm not offended, maybe i seem, i'm sorry, i word my sentences weirdly, i'm not good with words and not perfect with english and i'm an awkward person, i'm WEIRD :lol: and opinionated. I myself don't understand how people are uncomfortable with me just starting to defend young teen girls who are uncomfortably freaking out about gay men. Yeah i find them cool, yes i have a positive review on them and would perhaps defend the indefensible for some :lol: i asked Note about if they were referring to the shipping or the very stalky stuff that they did but never got the answer. So i'm assuming it was both for them. I'm not defending the stalkers but the shippers ;)
In short, i love and hate these girls. And i'll still defend them.
That wasn't even referring to you lol. I even agree with some of what you said.
But it's not defending the fans that's an issue, I just think it's perfectly understandable for someone to be uncomfortable with them. As someone who was there in 2013, it's very easy to see how someone trying to join the fandom at the time would have been put off by them. Nothing Note said was at all unreasonable to me.
Last edited by Panda728 on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panda728
dank meme

Anyways, I hate that my first post in this forum was to join an argument. 😭So I'm going to join in with how I got into Dan and Phil to post something on a lighter note.
For me it actually started with PJ! One of his videos was recommended to me. I don't remember which video it was, but I think he had a ukulele in the thumbnail? After watching it, I went to see his most recent stuff, which was his trip to Italy with Chris, Dan, and Phil. I thought they were funny, and then subscribed to each of their channels. The most recent video Phil had uploaded at the time was "Incredible lion footage," which was an odd first impression lmao. I found Dan and Phil super relatable and even got myself a Danosaur shirt. 😆Eventually while looking for other people to talk about them with, I found their small (at the time) fandom on tumblr. I've basically stuck with them ever since. I kind of stepped back from the fandom in like 2013 as it got a bit hectic but I've always still kept up with everything they've done. I've gone from 17 to 29 in the time since I've been subscribed and I feel like I've grown with them in a lot of ways. I had a decent handful of youtubers that I've been a fan of over the years but Dan and Phil are the only ones I've stuck with
thatone
delia smith

Note wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:39 pm Having read through the comments again, I have reached the conclusion that I may have been hasty in assuming the D&P fandom had become a space for me. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Your experience is your experience, don't worry. I think most people understood what you meant. <3
Levitating
#relatable

omg no pls stay! Everything you've said, the honesty in your self-analysis and tones fit exactly the way the majority of people talk here :) Expressing opinions without making it personal against the other and understanding that it is all based on a silly little hobby of YouTube watching.

As I said, I do think that fandoms like this one are female dominated so your contribution would extremely valuable. I'd ask you personal questions such as 'how does having them as representation feel' or 'do you also have female queer youtubers you like? how does it differ? (you don't have to answer though, if it's too personal)

Also re:Twitter, yes ;_; I feel that sort of reaction is such a core institution of "communities for lost people": the idea that having radical ideas is because You kNoW yOuR sTUfF and thus are the cool one above the little simpletons who follow the masses and thus are a true fan, a rational one. Without realising you are yourself a bit lost because, as others have pointed out, you'd only know about the strike if you'd literally lived on the internet and/or thought that Twitter itself was a pure, safe, unicorn-ridden space with no malicious effect on the world you claim to be so passionate about. I really hope these are teenagers because they have time and capability to grow. Old peeps are generally less flexibility and unfortunately more power (socio-economic thus influence)
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

Yeah i agree that there is no reason for Note to leave.

Note, i don't know if it was the reason but if it was, one single person disagreeing with you and you think you don't belong here ? My personnal opinion shouldn't matter this much. I know everyone disagree with me and i don't mind it even thought i don't get the same support as you do here, everyone seem to value your opinion. :wink:

Sorry you got really personnal on that one, that wasn't my intentions. Feel free to pm me if you wanna talk about it or anything to resolve what hurt you.

Anyway, happy birthday to phil :thekoolkatz:
momentojabali
dank meme

Joining in to say that I also found Note's comments to be perfectly reasonable and I wouldn't want this interaction to be the reason someone leaves! And as someone else said your perspective is extra valuable seeing as (I would say) most of us in the fandom are women.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Can y'all behave, this place was in slumber for such a long time I lowkey forgot how to moderate 😭

Remember, pretty much all discussions and opinions are allowed on IDB even the spicier ones. We wouldn't have approved them otherwise. Likewise, others are free to disagree with those opinions. But while engaging in discussion, please try to give each other some grace. Don't jump to conclusions, put words in someone's mouth or come down too hard on someone. Try to avoid miscommunication by just politely asking for clarification. This is a discussion board not Stan Twitter.

Note, there is no need to leave and I genuinely hope you stick around. I admit that your opinion isn't a particularly popular one, but I can assure you that you're not the first person I've seen with similar experiences and observations. I don't think people here have a problem with you or your posts specifically. But in recent years outsiders have loved making think pieces and video essays on the phandom, and it has made a lot of people become understandably defensive. There's only so many times you can hear someone who had an aesthetic 1D dedicated Tumblr account in 2013 yelling about how All These Teenage Girls Personally Shoved Dan And Phil Into The Closet And Made Their Lives Hell. I realize that this doesn't seem to be your point though, but I think that explains the general situation?

I want to welcome everyone who has joined us here lately and I ask you to be kind to each other. IDB's average age has always skewed higher than other places and we do kinda expect you to be able to moderate discussions among yourselves a bit, but not attack each other for no reason. Of course moderators keep an eye on things, but we don't like butting in all the time 'cause it kills discussion and we're lazy busy. Don't hesitate to contact us if you do need help with anything, but remember that most of the time in the threads we're just normal users posting our own opinions and stuff. We are not God, Phil is.

Happy Phil Day everyone! <3 :lionlove: :pancakes: :prideflag: :birthday:

Who is excited for the stream tonight? Hoping for a live unhinged cake reveal.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I missed the conversation at large, but I also think this is a place for all opinions - even opposing ones. Being able to disagree in a civil way is one thing that's always set us pleasantly apart from more reactionary spaces like twitter. Note and Tuxedo, I hope you both stick around and realize you're welcome here!
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

I am so excited for this afternoon!!! Hank Green promoted the stream on Twitter, I wonder if any non-phannies will join just because it's a fundraiser for PCRF?
Note
dank meme
Pronouns: he/him

Wow, I really appreciate all the responses! Happy to put the whole thing to rest, so I'll move on and say I'm looking forward to the stream as well.
Levitating
#relatable

Me too but also! I forgo that I wanted to comment on the last video: "Little goblin" he says at the end of Phil's last video... I consider it another element building up the soft launch. :tinfoil:
And the gifts were so nice and fun without being outrageous. I liked it. My favourite was the BABY PIG. :rainbowtears:

(we need a pig emoji, if we have the fish, the lion and the pigeons :betta: :straggy: :lion:
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Levitating wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:53 pm And the gifts were so nice and fun without being outrageous. I liked it.
I agree! I was a little worried they would all be super outlandish but the genuine joy on Phil's face at some of them was adorable. It was a really good mix.

Does anyone know if the stream will be available after the fact? Iirc, their YouTube-based streams usually get posted to the channel afterwards, but I will be so sad if work gets in the way and I miss part of it!
obvsly
#relatable

i don't know what we're doing here
but
DAN AND PHIL STREAM NOW!!!

howadorableright
sad dimple

$20,000 already ???? wow that is beyond incredible, it's been less than 20 minutes. proud of the community as hell
back back back back again
000dia000
emo goose

30K <3
:cactus:
Note
dank meme
Pronouns: he/him

This stream is one frame per second of pure chaos
000dia000
emo goose

I actually got out my switch lol I suck at this game
howadorableright
sad dimple

i'm really hoping they play jackbox with us i wanna join in so bad lolll

this takes me back to the younow days when i was on my family computer trying to get them to notice my comments and now im at my 9-5 watching their stream while working
000dia000
emo goose

they hit 50K but are too busy bickering to notice

EDIT: "Thank you for donating 50K, now let's play Smash or Pass Pokemon" I love them
000dia000
emo goose

Phil Passing on getting topped by Kakuna and Dan losing his mind

howadorableright
sad dimple

their camera died and they're both trying to figure out how to connect another camera with just the audio on, this is so funny