Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
parttimehomo
not a first-time poster

Is anyone else watching WAD live? I thought the preshow was cute, especially when Phil brought back one of the old games they used to do. The helicopter bit was funny. I wish they answered audience questions or actually did it live tho
000dia000
emo goose

It's been a couple of hours...how was the slitening?
:cactus:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I loved that Q & A and I really want a podcast and Dan’s video essay on Sister Daniel! I need these things in my life ASAP!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

000dia000 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:47 pm It's been a couple of hours...how was the slitening?
Please, if anyone was watching please update us!! I have a ticket but no time yet.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

LAshleigh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:49 pm
000dia000 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:47 pm It's been a couple of hours...how was the slitening?
Please, if anyone was watching please update us!! I have a ticket but no time yet.
For some reason the playback won’t be available until 8:00 PM London Time Monday. Then it might only be available for 24 hours.

The slittenning was perfect! Very domestic and turned out looking great! It’s on Instagram. I don’t know how to link it here.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The stream was lovely! It has been exactly one day since I've seen the show and I really forgot a lot about it lol, so it was nice to watch again. The (totally live) orange carpet was fun and the afterparty was great. I was convinced The Slithening would end with Dan missing at least half an eyebrow but it turned not nearly as bad.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
literally_formless
butt chair

That's weird about the delay on the replay - I hope they give the replay 48 hours. There's been too much need to semantically unpack the Kiswe language.

I saw the show live in November 2022 and wasn't expecting to feel all that different about it seeing it live, and honestly I didn't, but at the end and seeing the credits I got a bit choked up. What an accomplishment and effort to get to this point!
momentojabali
dank meme

I don't know what I was expecting but that was really really good! It was super funny, serious and emotional when it needed to be. Still wish I could see it live one day but the WAD era might be over or almost over if I understood Dan correctly at the end. Also loved Phil as always! They looked so good!

I'd be interested to know how some parts of the show went outside of the UK and US specially the cultural references and audience participation. I know Dan talked about a few changes they made for the US but some parts
(specially when they played madlibs and talked about hot cereal mascots)
got me wondering what they said in Germany, Denmark, etc. If anyone remembers any interesting things please share! (and if that kinda spoilery thing is not against the rules)
Grey
lady door

momentojabali wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm I don't know what I was expecting but that was really really good! It was super funny, serious and emotional when it needed to be. Still wish I could see it live one day but the WAD era might be over or almost over if I understood Dan correctly at the end. Also loved Phil as always! They looked so good!

I'd be interested to know how some parts of the show went outside of the UK and US specially the cultural references and audience participation. I know Dan talked about a few changes they made for the US but some parts
got me wondering what they said in Germany, Denmark, etc. If anyone remembers any interesting things please share! (and if that kinda spoilery thing is not against the rules)
I saw it live in Toronto and he definitely made some specific Canadian / Toronto references (I actually don’t remember what anymore but I remember thinking it would be hard to remember all the specifics for the different locations considering how many tour stops he was doing close together).

Edit: I just went back and checked the post I made after I saw the show and apparently he made a joke about Tim Hortons and No Frills, plus a lot of USA-bashing (Canadians love to feel superior to Americans lol). So yeah, I’m sure he updated it for other European countries.
I'm having a stress.
howadorableright
sad dimple

Grey wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:00 pm
momentojabali wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm I don't know what I was expecting but that was really really good! It was super funny, serious and emotional when it needed to be. Still wish I could see it live one day but the WAD era might be over or almost over if I understood Dan correctly at the end. Also loved Phil as always! They looked so good!

I saw it live in Toronto and he definitely made some specific Canadian / Toronto references (I actually don’t remember what anymore but I remember thinking it would be hard to remember all the specifics for the different locations considering how many tour stops he was doing close together).

Edit: I just went back and checked the post I made after I saw the show and apparently he made a joke about Tim Hortons and No Frills, plus a lot of USA-bashing (Canadians love to feel superior to Americans lol). So yeah, I’m sure he updated it for other European countries.
My show was in Cleveland, Ohio and he had a lot of local references as well! When mentioned running naked around the streets of cle and someone yelled "you'd get shot" and he was like bc i'm naked or bc it's cleveland and everyone in the crowd yelled "CLEVELAND" lol love it
back back back back again
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

New Phil vid!

momentojabali wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm got me wondering what they said in Germany, Denmark, etc. If anyone remembers any interesting things please share! (and if that kinda spoilery thing is not against the rules)
I wish I remembered more about the show after a year. I do remember at least one shady comment about Max Verstappen which I 100% expected :lol:

In the madlibs bit people named local people and shops (which some poor person backstage then had to try and spell correctly which didn't always work out) and for the Daily Mail comment section joke (I think?) he changed it to our own national right wing dumpster fire De Telegraaf. Had to ask friends who had seen the show a few times before about it, because I wasn't sure whether he said Telegraaf or just Telegraph.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I felt like I had to get my money’s worth, so I’ve watched the WAD recording 2 1/2 times now. I’m done. Who has me beat?
thatone
delia smith

momentojabali wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm I'd be interested to know how some parts of the show went outside of the UK and US specially the cultural references and audience participation. I know Dan talked about a few changes they made for the US but some parts
I saw it in Norway, and there were atleast a couple of references that could not work anywhere else.

For example we have this chocolate that we always, always eat when hiking etc, and it's called kvik lunsj. It's "unlike anything else", which he probably knows we think, because dan said something to the effect of "it's basically like a kitkat, right?" and the entire room straight up booed him haha.

Also we love to banter with/about sweden, our neighbouring country, so he made a comment where he called sweden pretentious, and we *reeeally* cheered for that.
(Also someone said the lucky charms elf for cereal - but I have no idea if our stores actually even carry it, I haven't seen it. But I practically never eat cereal so idk)
Grey
lady door

I just noticed upon a rewatch of the recording that in the credits, it says “Remote crisis management - Phil Lester”. Idk why that made me giggle- I guess it’s just accurate. :lol:
I'm having a stress.
yunice25
first-time poster

After years of occasionally lurking, finally made an account to post a review of the livestream.

I just did a re-watch and it was a much better experience than watching it live. One, because I had to watch it at 5am in my timezone and so my concentration levels were at rock bottom. Two, trying to watch the show and read the chat at the same time was distracting. Even though the chat was region-locked and our region's chat barely had any activity. Three, the stream was unstable during the aftershow Q&A and I had to switch from mobile to laptop after spending half of it looking at a frozen screen.

The show itself was more depressing than I'd thought it'd be? And I say this even though I've spent nearly a decade watching Dan. Yes, it ends on a hopeful note but it was kinda tough to watch in the beginning as someone who was recently diagnosed with severe depression.

Aftershow was about an hour long and most of the questions taken from Twitter were about the tour process and merch, with some random Qs thrown in. Dan says he's been listening to Vampire Weekend's new album on repeat. Phil barged in after a while and read some questions and then performed the slittening. And that was that.

Overall, glad he did this since I live in a country that D&P has never come to and prob never will 🥲
jmorton
butt chair

I just posted that no one posted Phil's video yet and then I scanned above and saw it. Smh. My only excuse is I'm old. Lol

Phil's video is typical Phil. I have no thoughts on WAD because I didn't watch it but I'm glad people seemed to like it.
Note
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: he/him

Commissioning their own soundtrack is unfathomably based. Good for them
Possum
squish

Watching the WAD livestream was so fun! I loved the orange carpet and the aftershow and how it was literally just him and Phil in their usual filming spaces lol. A particular highlight for me was Dan sitting out of frame and puppeting the skeleton lol

I enjoyed him talking about the behind-the-scenes stuff, as well as the regionalizations they did for each show, like the different insurance mascots for the UK and US. I've been trying to remember any regional banter he did for the show I went to, but I think it was just about the rain (which is sort of a go-to easy joke about the Pacific Northwest, but... it was raining very hard the day of our show, even by our usual standards).

It was interesting watching the show a second time. I felt like I got different things out of both viewings? Seeing it live when I knew next to nothing about the show beforehand was obviously a whole experience that will always be a cherished memory for me! But I think watching it again with all the editing made me appreciate the set design and Dan's stage presence more.

It was also interesting to see it again over a year later, since I feel so much has changed (of note to me: his updated ending monologue about current events. Also, him discussing AI, which was still entertaining, but I feel like would have gone differently/had a different tone had the jokes been written in 2024). One thing I've been thinking about is the emoji mood tracker segment, which made my heart hurt for him both times I watched it. I could be totally wrong, but I assume that some of the time he was tracking was when his big project was being mishandled by YouTube? I really hope that doing this tour and his return to DAPG has helped him.

Overall, I'm very proud of Dan and am glad the show was able to be filmed and streamed!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It's a good day in Phannieland when we get a new Golf with Bants videa and somehow that's not the wildest new thing to happen.

DanAndPhilBEATS is a thing now.

I will lofi beat them to death for naming one of the songs It Hits Different. Though Teamwork Makes The Dreamwork and Phantasy Land might be even worse.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

:gayaf: :gayaf: :gayaf: :gayaf:

THEY DID WHAT!!!???

I can't believe they put out an album! I mean good for Dan, he's still chasing that dream of being something more than a YouTuber. And music is a passion he has previously said he wished he had pursued. It's cute that he's doing it with Phil, who doesn't seem all that musically inclined. But the song title "Teamwork Makes The Dream Work" definitely makes me feel soft. Not only have they come back to their dual brand, they seem to be thriving in it.

I honestly can't tell at this point if the music is even good. I'm going to have to wait for the initial processing to happen before I can judge it.

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/artist/5gewx7W ... pSdi2iVPew

YouTube music:
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... n7EgJVwCyn

:gayaf: :gayaf: :gayaf: :gayaf:
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
Note
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: he/him

I wonder if they'll get hit with any DMCA strikes for using their own music.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I'm so happy for the music and they seemed so happy about it! Love that for them.

About the gaming vid : i don't know if it's just me but for once i was actually rooting for Dan haha
:gayaf:
amazing
crusty sponge

scattered thoughts:

i was about to get sad as an apple music user but then i discovered it IS indeed on apple music! https://music.apple.com/us/artist/danan ... 1732764361

apparently dan deleted/unlisted all of the WAD premiere-related videos. i do hope they will find a more permanent/accessible home for not just WAD, but the pre-show and after-show q&a as well (also they both looked very nice!)

someone should introduce phil to the word McMansion.
funny i wondered the other week if dnp were familiar with urbanist channels re: my opinion that it doesn't make sense for them to get a car in london, only for a youtuber i KNOW dan is familiar with - philosophy tube - to make a related video with not just bikes.
quiff quonnoisseur
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm About the gaming vid : i don't know if it's just me but for once i was actually rooting for Dan haha
I think that's because Phil is usually the underdog and you want to root for the underdog, but this video he was dominating!

I too was rooting a bit for Dan, but then when Phil won and said how happy he was at 28:01, Dan gave him the happiest fondest look ever & I was glad that Phil had done well. :curlsandquiff: <- it's a slit bumb
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
thatone
delia smith

A track called "it hits different"

I cant with these guys anymore