Dan & Phil Part 11: Kinda queer and terrible #ComeTogether

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

missemma wrote:Just saw this on updatedphan, it never fails to amuse me how awkward Dans hugs are. Him and Phil have such a different hugging style at meet ups.
I agree that Dan fan hugs are awkward and uncomfortable and clearly an unwanted action for him, but as a mild note to his benefit, it must be difficult to hug people 2 feet shorter than you all the time. It's easier for Phil, as his posture is atrocious and he folds himself up all the time.
boredtears
squish

Sorry, if I'm derailing current discussion, but it looks like there's going to be an "official" youtube dating sim http://kotaku.com/when-liking-and-subsc ... 1776892213

Am I the only one really weirded out by this? I though the phandom one was hilarious, but that was more because it was made by a fan for fans and had all these stupid in-jokes and the actual dating sim aspect wasn't intended to be taken seriously. Whereas this one - it really seems to have a kind of self-insert fanfic storyline, and not necessarily in an ironic way, and that kind of worries me. Where do we/should we draw the line these days..? oh god imagine the dangirls if this became a thing

At the moment only gamers/youtubers I haven't heard of are part of it, but can you imagine the reaction if d&p were included?? Would they agree to be in it? & what would it say about them if they did?
crash[]
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

boredtears wrote:Sorry, if I'm derailing current discussion, but it looks like there's going to be an "official" youtube dating sim http://kotaku.com/when-liking-and-subsc ... 1776892213

Am I the only one really weirded out by this? I though the phandom one was hilarious, but that was more because it was made by a fan for fans and had all these stupid in-jokes and the actual dating sim aspect wasn't intended to be taken seriously. Whereas this one - it really seems to have a kind of self-insert fanfic storyline, and not necessarily in an ironic way, and that kind of worries me. Where do we/should we draw the line these days..? oh god imagine the dangirls if this became a thing

At the moment only gamers/youtubers I haven't heard of are part of it, but can you imagine the reaction if d&p were included?? Would they agree to be in it? & what would it say about them if they did?
Just a quick fact check: The dating sim is already out and pretty much all reactions that I've seen towards it from the people featured in it seems to be unanimous amusement. Literally, ProJared is actually cosplaying as himself in his playthrough of it... that he played with his wife. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeXoZnUZyI

In all honesty, I don't see any problem with it, something something persona and detachment but also because it just seems like typical fandom shenanigans. I also don't think that Dan and Phil would see it as particularly invasive, considering it's fictional.
Last edited by crash[] on Wed May 18, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

boredtears wrote:Sorry, if I'm derailing current discussion, but it looks like there's going to be an "official" youtube dating sim http://kotaku.com/when-liking-and-subsc ... 1776892213

I can't see ever agreeing to be part of something like this, thankfully. I mean, they are okay with fanfiction and shipping ‎(when it involves them together) but seem to be uncomfortable with acknowledging that a lot of their subscribers want to bang them. To me it sounds super weird, but I guess if the YouTubers gave their consent then I don't see the problem.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
Winston
flower crown

[offtopic]has anyone seen today's vlog brothers vlog? The subject matter seems to sound familiar. I can't seem to put my finger on it though... any thoughts? :lol:
https://youtu.be/kpmAZVQIvK4. (Also of course on mobile and don't know how to do this the other way...) :cry:[/offtopic]
actions speak louder than words
Lain
eclipse shirt

missemma wrote:Just saw this on updatedphan, it never fails to amuse me how awkward Dans hugs are. Him and Phil have such a different hugging style at meet ups.
And yet his H in the A-Z of Dan in tabinof was Hugs. I bet I know of a person that might be on the receiving end of Dan's warmer, more affectionate hugs.
icklebrina
living flop

Winston wrote:[offtopic]has anyone seen today's vlog brothers vlog? The subject matter seems to sound familiar. I can't seem to put my finger on it though... any thoughts? :lol:
. (Also of course on mobile and don't know how to do this the other way...) :cry:[/offtopic]
:lol:
Winston
flower crown

Thanks! :D
actions speak louder than words
Rusty
phillion/danosaur <//3

Lain wrote:
And yet his H in the A-Z of Dan in tabinof was Hugs. I bet I know of a person that might be on the receiving end of Dan's warmer, more affectionate hugs.
I have no idea why, "research" probably, but I was rewatching the moment Dan and Phil hugged during that Who's More Likely To-thing and noticed Dan's embrace seemed a bit warmer than the ones with fans. But that makes sense because it's Phil and they're around the same height.
fakelights
living flop

Ticia wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:
I interpreted the strong "no" from Dan about vlogging differently than you. I think he wanted to mark the difference because they were indeed filming some stuff but it was not vlogging. Also with he way they said "mmmm interesting" about the tourbus tour, I think they intend to do it, be it in the tour doc or maybe in a video soon, who knows. Because Dan answers the same when people ask for ISG videos when he is actually gonna drop an ISG video soon.
I saw it as "I don't want to do it at all but if we don't have the time to make a decent video, then that'd be it" Anyhow, I also think this moment is a nice opportunity for them to actually use their second channels with random snippets of daily tour life: it may sound stupid, but a 1 min video recorded with an Iphone of them having breakfast in a random place absolutely beats Phil's robotic praise for pancakes, because it would mean they made a simple effort to connect to the audience that is not going to TATINOF.
At this point I would even be happy with an instagram video, tbh. In this tour they are being so disconnected from their audience and it's weird.
karma_yeah
philussy

SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote: That's ummm... mildly horrifying. Also: does this count as more food tweeting? :facepalm:
Yeah I wouldn't want to find either of those two things on a floor at a cafe. :shock:
This does count, but at least he mixed it up a bit. :lol:
Agree! It counts. Anyone got a Bingo card?

And about the failing atjogging together:

A lot of times I find myself thinking how much I like that Dan is fairly effusive with his feelings towards Phil (Phil trash #1, beautiful flower, too adorable, etc, etc) and wishing Phil was more open with his feelings/affection for Dan (voldy excluded). But I find it heart-warming that what's they can be together pretty much 24/7, and Phil doesn't like that he can't talk to Dan while they run. Reminds me of the gaming video where Phil was apart from Dan for 10 hours and was glad to be back because he had so much to tell him. It's an interesting window into their lives, if only a tiny one.
What goes around, comes around Image
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

14 seconds in.
DryCereal
koi pond

karma_yeah wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote: That's ummm... mildly horrifying. Also: does this count as more food tweeting? :facepalm:
Yeah I wouldn't want to find either of those two things on a floor at a cafe. :shock:
This does count, but at least he mixed it up a bit. :lol:
Agree! It counts. Anyone got a Bingo card?

And about the failing atjogging together:

A lot of times I find myself thinking how much I like that Dan is fairly effusive with his feelings towards Phil (Phil trash #1, beautiful flower, too adorable, etc, etc) and wishing Phil was more open with his feelings/affection for Dan (voldy excluded). But I find it heart-warming that what's they can be together pretty much 24/7, and Phil doesn't like that he can't talk to Dan while they run. Reminds me of the gaming video where Phil was apart from Dan for 10 hours and was glad to be back because he had so much to tell him. It's an interesting window into their lives, if only a tiny one.
You excluded it, I'm not going to, in fact I'mma say it's because of it I don't think we're ever going to see more than the briefest/most casual mentions. And I don't blame him one bit. Can't even imagine what that must have been/felt like? :cry:
cora808 wrote:
14 seconds in.
Laughed the whole way through. Definitely prefer this to the idea of the other one!
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Lobster
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

Tomska talks a bit about the phandom in his most recent video. Mostly about them gif-ing Deppy and cutting him out in the process. I don't think its a bad thing necessarily, and I don't think anyone is doing it maliciously, but I can see why he would find it annoying and a little insulting.

10:30
angrymob
hobbit hair

karma_yeah wrote:Re: the voldy discussion and the nature of their success:

- I can't see them as master manipulators, or ones to stoop so low as to fake a gay relationship. They had several gay friends at the time and I can't really imagine them something so disrespectful

I do think that the "controversy" over the video and the nature of their relationship contributes to their success in that it does get some people hooked on the intrigue, ok, yes i'm one of them although I doubt that's the majority of their fans because we know it isn't their captivating content, fantastic production skills, or their consistent and frequent uploading schedule.
If I were to just consider the time pre-voldy, I'd actually think successfully faking a gay relationship as a PR stunt is something they probably could have and maybe would have done. People were definitely exploiting their sexuality and Youtube was a hotbed for hoax videos (re: lonelygirl15). Things were also a lot less political as they are now, so the right/wrong argument doesn't work as well. Making out with the same sex for attention was super common and considered edgy, and I had never heard the term or concept queerbaiting in my life until 2011.

However, considering their reactions afterwards and the video itself, I doubt it was a PR stunt. I also don't think it is what made them popular at the time (maybe it has helped prolong their current success, though). From what I can remember, from when the video was uploaded, there wasn't as much talk as there is now about them as a possible couple. They were popular because they were like slightly less cringy emo boys, and emo boys flock together, so not super eyebrow raising, though I'm sure people talked about them in that context, just not so actively for it to be a thing like it is now.
uglyamerican wrote:This has been bothering me for a while: For those who are complaining about D&P's relative dearth in posting, give them a break. Putting on a tour is time consuming; finding a quiet, well lit place to record while on the road appears to be challenging; and getting lucky enough to stay in a hotel/motel with decent internet good enough to support livestreaming does not happen very often. But they seem to be trying. The argument that they should have banked videos shot beforehand, well that's easy to say, but at the same time they were preparing the tour - not a simple endeavor. D&P doesn't have a production staff like Phil DeFranco or the Fine Bros, etc., and tbh, I would hate that. It would forever change the "look and feel" of their product, in a negative sense. Btw, I work in the traditional media biz in physical production, and it takes an unbelievable amount of work to produce even :30 seconds worth of high quality material... it is not just about turning on a camera and start flapping your lips - there is some thought behind it. /rant
I not so annoyed by their posting schedule as it's mostly the interesting theories about D&P that keep me as invested as I am, but I feel that their content is a bit lacking in substance recently, for both of them. Sure the video quality is a bit better than it used to be, but I'm starting to find some of their videos quite boring and only watch them to keep up with the conversation here. I actually find their liveshows are the most interesting thing they do now, because there's actually some substance there (Sidenote: Am I the only one that thinks that Phil could take his liveshow, edit together the most exciting parts and they'd be a lot like his old videos).

I find it hard to imagine that they've actually run completely out of ideas for interesting or relatable videos, though. I think for both of them (but moreso for Dan) there's a fear of failure or not living up to a standard, that they'd rather go for thoughtless, easy to plan content, like playing a card game, instead of more planned stuff. I completely understand the dilemma, the more time I spend on something, the more perfect it needs to be. Why do that and risk it not being perfect enough when you can just do something you know will satisfy your current audience enough to keep you in the game a bit longer? I mean, what if their script writing style and humour has changed (as it does) and the audience doesn't like it as much as they did? Can Dan and Phil even make videos like they did in the early 2010's?

This may fit into the discussion about changing their brand, but I've lost track on that conversation how do I quit my job and get paid to be on this site all day?
adequack wrote:
bedhead91 wrote:Are you talking about Pete Wentz, by any chance? Because if you are, I knew it. Sorry, this isn't related to .
Oh man, I worked on the LiveJournal Abuse Team when that happened and everybody posted it (and everybody else reported it) and I saw SO MANY PICTURES OF PWENTZ'S PEEN that I am traumatised FOR LIFE!
As someone who was active on FBR_TRASH when that happen, sorry for contributing to making your life harder.
Jeweul
sad dimple

Just coming here to say I wrote a messy and lengthy review of TATINOF on the Charlotte, NC thread if anyone happens to be interested. :)
kuensukki
janice from the shop

karma_yeah wrote: A lot of times I find myself thinking how much I like that Dan is fairly effusive with his feelings towards Phil (Phil trash #1, beautiful flower, too adorable, etc, etc) and wishing Phil was more open with his feelings/affection for Dan (voldy excluded). But I find it heart-warming that what's they can be together pretty much 24/7, and Phil doesn't like that he can't talk to Dan while they run. Reminds me of the gaming video where Phil was apart from Dan for 10 hours and was glad to be back because he had so much to tell him. It's an interesting window into their lives, if only a tiny one.
I love this topic I feel like Phil has a different way of expressing his adoration and love for Dan. It started out with his endless support and encouragement but through the years we see little signs that Phil really hold Dan in high regards. Look at his listed Youtube channels and you can see that Dan is listed in both AP and LAP. I feel like we see Phil's love or affections shine through in videos and vlogs. When he captures soft Dan playing the piano or blowing up his dinosaur inflatable. He always seems to show the side of Dan that we as viewers don't get to see. This affectionate, soft, relaxed Dan. Watch the DITL Christmas video and you'll get what I mean. The whole thing screams fond from both ends.

Phil isn't as vocal with the Phil Trash #1 or the over protectiveness but then again that doesn't really scream Phil to me. He is a man who lets his actions speak instead of his words (unless its an angry DM ). He seems like a man that is comfortable and confident in his relationship with Dan, enough that he doesn't need to scream it but instead can show it through tiny gestures and clips.
fancy_nancy
phabergé

kuensukki wrote:
karma_yeah wrote: A lot of times I find myself thinking how much I like that Dan is fairly effusive with his feelings towards Phil (Phil trash #1, beautiful flower, too adorable, etc, etc) and wishing Phil was more open with his feelings/affection for Dan (voldy excluded). But I find it heart-warming that what's they can be together pretty much 24/7, and Phil doesn't like that he can't talk to Dan while they run. Reminds me of the gaming video where Phil was apart from Dan for 10 hours and was glad to be back because he had so much to tell him. It's an interesting window into their lives, if only a tiny one.
I love this topic I feel like Phil has a different way of expressing his adoration and love for Dan. It started out with his endless support and encouragement but through the years we see little signs that Phil really hold Dan in high regards. Look at his listed Youtube channels and you can see that Dan is listed in both AP and LAP. I feel like we see Phil's love or affections shine through in videos and vlogs. When he captures soft Dan playing the piano or blowing up his dinosaur inflatable. He always seems to show the side of Dan that we as viewers don't get to see. This affectionate, soft, relaxed Dan. Watch the DITL Christmas video and you'll get what I mean. The whole thing screams fond from both ends.

Phil isn't as vocal with the Phil Trash #1 or the over protectiveness but then again that doesn't really scream Phil to me. He is a man who lets his actions speak instead of his words (unless its an angry DM ). He seems like a man that is comfortable and confident in his relationship with Dan, enough that he doesn't need to scream it but instead can show it through tiny gestures and clips.
One of my fave moments is that clip in 'The making of TABINOF' that bit where Phil films Dan without telling him, it just feels so affectionate, i love it
spider
ar·tic·u·late

How much do you guys think they film each other just for themselves? Do you think they have full edited vlogs or short clips like the LAP videos and Japhan Instagram videos that we never see? Or videos that they make for each other and don't post on Youtube?
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

Lobster wrote:Tomska talks a bit about the phandom in his most recent video. Mostly about them gif-ing Deppy and cutting him out in the process. I don't think its a bad thing necessarily, and I don't think anyone is doing it maliciously, but I can see why he would find it annoying and a little insulting.

10:30
it's just me or tom has been so whiny lately? :sideeye:
Like, I get that he's 100% in his right to feel the way he feels but that kinda of thing happens to a lot of youtubers even if it's not the right thing (the footage is his after all).
but he's acting like he's the supreme hated person on the internet and no one likes him and even passing an impression that he feels like he should be admired by the 'fans' like other youtubers even if he said before that he wouldn't like for it to happen.
It's 2am, I hope I'm making sense, but he has to be careful not to start acting like emma blackberry or whatever her name.
(I know poor mental health helps with this behavior but he honestly should police himself more in front of a camera or he's going to be next on the list of 'hated by the phandom')
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

fancy_nancy wrote:
kuensukki wrote:

One of my fave moments is that clip in 'The making of TABINOF' that bit where Phil films Dan without telling him, it just feels so affectionate, i love it
yes! where dan goes prooooooooot or whatever the noise is. it reminded me of PINOF1, where he films dan on the stairmaster.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

kuensukki wrote:
We could also add to the discussion that Dan is pushed a lot more often than Phil to be vocal about it, like a balance for the 2012 stuff, he knows what the fans think of that.

Let me explain this better:
The fans push him to say this stuff a lot more than Phil because they know it's how he felt before 2012 when he denied it
And also, I bet he knows how most people atribute the worst of 2012 to him and his vocal-ness against phan while Phil mostly kept quiet and danced to the music when necessary to disperse rumors.
The amount of praise he receives wherever he express his love for Phil might help too in him being more and more confident in showing his feelings.
Also, people do see Phil as more the reserved type (including me) even if in early phan days he was just as vocal about things as Dan was.

idk, I hope I'm making sense
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

spider wrote:How much do you guys think they film each other just for themselves? Do you think they have full edited vlogs or short clips like the LAP videos and Japhan Instagram videos that we never see? Or videos that they make for each other and don't post on Youtube?
Or videos they make for each other and do post on YouTube but not publicly.....*ahem*

Aside from the existence of Voldy, we also know that:
- Dan takes photos of Phil (and other people) without their knowledge (judging by his comment on his video with Tyler, and from that photo of Phil he posted on Twitter once)
- Phil has random af videos on his computer that we've never seen ("Secret Files" video)
- Phil watches old Dil videos when Dan is away, for nostalgia (second "Sleepless Night" video

I don't know about fully edited vlogs, but I'm sure they privately film themselves doing stuff all the time. Like then they go on vacation and stuff, or when they're sitting around the house. I'm not sure if this will make total sense, but you know how parents of young children often film their kids all the time, like when they go on trips, or even just in everyday life while they're in the car or playing in the yard or whatever? I feel like Dan and Phil kind of act like that, except with each other instead of with kids. Like Phil spontaneously starts filming Dan when he thinks he's doing something entertaining or looking particularly hot, or when something funny is going on or something, and vice versa.
busy being happy~
hazeygal212
phillion/danosaur <//3

cora808 wrote:

14 seconds in.

This is INCREDIBLE. i laughed so hard. i would love for them to react to pinof irl but they seem to avoid 2009 phan at all costs so i doubt it will happen anytime soon :sideeye:
hazeygal212
phillion/danosaur <//3

LurkingTrash wrote:
kuensukki wrote:
We could also add to the discussion that Dan is pushed a lot more often than Phil to be vocal about it, like a balance for the 2012 stuff, he knows what the fans think of that.

Let me explain this better:
The fans push him to say this stuff a lot more than Phil because they know it's how he felt before 2012 when he denied it
And also, I bet he knows how most people atribute the worst of 2012 to him and his vocal-ness against phan while Phil mostly kept quiet and danced to the music when necessary to disperse rumors.
The amount of praise he receives wherever he express his love for Phil might help too in him being more and more confident in showing his feelings.
Also, people do see Phil as more the reserved type (including me) even if in early phan days he was just as vocal about things as Dan was.

idk, I hope I'm making sense
i've noticed recently that if anyone is denying phan nowadays its phil! in the liveshow the other day dan laid down and phil was like "well now where do i sit?" and dan patted the space his legs and body made and went "right here duh."
it was extremely cute but phil did not take up the offer. :roll: dan seems to be embracing his sexuality more, while phil seems stuck in the days of 2012. phil wasn't aggressive like dan back then, but he was just as dismissive of phan in general.
its interesting to me. we all thought dan was the one who couldnt accept being bi/gay (if he actually was) but maybe phil was the one who wanted to hide their relationship?? it makes sense being that he was the maker of the voldy video. that must have been such a breach of privacy for him, i wouldn't be surprised if he was tramautized!
my new theory is that phil may have ended the relationship/put it on hold/decided to hide it and bc dan was so hurt he became extremely angry about phan shipping.
brb i just made myself really sad picturing brokenhearted dan having to read comments about him and his ex boyfriend 24/7 </3