Dan & Phil Part 12: Stalking him until he loves you

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

felucca wrote:I hate #BigBrother Dan.

It seems to be the direction he's taking his channel in, what with videos like A Message For My Younger Self and genuinely helpful ISGs, projects like #NicerInternet, and the entire goddamn Dan & Phil™ branding. And yeah good for him (them) I guess and cool for the people who need it, but I certainly DON'T need someone the age of my own little brother passing on his Wisdom to me inbetween increasingly lame attempts at "edgy" irony whilst pretending he's being helpful by mistake. :roll: He's the uncool dad I never needed.
Same. (except I'm 2 years younger than Dan but I still don't need his life advice)

I miss sarcastic bastard Dan, but he died somewhere along 2013 and is now seen as problematic and offensive by part of the phandom. Sad times.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

bee
phabergé

I think his Advice videos ARE important to him, not (necessarily) in a 'gotta relate to that audience' way, but also for himself. Almost like him helping others through him figuring out how he dealt with things (school, bullying, internet) is giving him something as well. He stated he was not very happy in his teenage years so I can imagine that apart from feeling a responsibility for his (mostly) young audience, helping teenagers in some way can be also cathartic to him?

I'm interested to see what he came up with. A more serious Dan I find interesting to listen to so I think I'd like it.
majitzu
angel bean

Happy Birthday IckleMissMayhem.

I'm in class now but i realize that is almost anither day in Londom. :facepalm:
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

I remember enjoying his ISG's once upon a time, but I don't anymore. The get fit video 'new year new you' or smthng was funny and good because it wasn't genuine advice. I do not think that people need advice on studying, especially not from Dan. That's what school guidence counselors are for.
jess
living flop

Catallena wrote:

It seems to be the direction he's taking his channel in, what with videos like A Message For My Younger Self and genuinely helpful ISGs, projects like #NicerInternet, and the entire goddamn Dan & Phil™ branding. And yeah good for him (them) I guess and cool for the people who need it, but I certainly DON'T need someone the age of my own little brother passing on his Wisdom to me inbetween increasingly lame attempts at "edgy" irony whilst pretending he's being helpful by mistake. :roll: He's the uncool dad I never needed.
Same. (except I'm 2 years younger than Dan but I still don't need his life advice)

I miss sarcastic bastard Dan, but he died somewhere along 2013 and is now seen as problematic and offensive by part of the phandom. Sad times.
He still comes out to play in live shows sometimes... & I relish those moments. I want the tour to be over since a) I'm going to the last two shows b) I want solo Dan live shows again because less filtered Dan is my drug of choice.

Happy birthday, Ickle... Radiohead played a fantastic show in your name in London tonite. :D
bluebox-away
woodland creature

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
NarrysCanary wrote:
adequack wrote:Using the saliva to create a bunch of Phil clones? Sign me up! We could all have one each!

(seriously I rewatched the Dragon D&PG vids yesterday SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING)
The magazine and the Phil clones are going to be the best things that come out of this website
And the Weakest Link ep.
Finally caught up and bringing this back because we can't forget my one moment of idb glory :lol:
also Ickle, hope you had a great day!

I'll be interested to see what comes of the exams/revision video, could be interesting if he did a more serious take on it but like many others I'm just a bit over school related videos
oh and also super excited about the magazine idea, it really took off in the 10 hours I was awol from the internet! :lol:
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
hunnyftw
phabergé

bee wrote:I think his Advice videos ARE important to him, not (necessarily) in a 'gotta relate to that audience' way, but also for himself. Almost like him helping others through him figuring out how he dealt with things (school, bullying, internet) is giving him something as well. He stated he was not very happy in his teenage years so I can imagine that apart from feeling a responsibility for his (mostly) young audience, helping teenagers in some way can be also cathartic to him?

I'm interested to see what he came up with. A more serious Dan I find interesting to listen to so I think I'd like it.
Agree. I enjoy sarcastic bastard Dan (who, sadly, seems to be a little bit lost somewhere in 2013/14) and I enjoy serious Dan, preferably with the two mixed together. What I usually enjoy the least or don't enjoy at all is a meme joe-king Dan. I'm aware that these Dans can cooccur and mingle away but let me simplify for the sake of the argument. So I'm a little bit surprised by those of you who seem to hate the very idea of the video. I mean, I understand the points you're making and they're quite reasonable but nevertheless I can't relate because the possibility of this being the video where I see serious!Dan overweighs all your arguments. Obviously, the big difference between me and some of you is that I don't get irritated by his "uncool dad" tendencies. I enjoy these moments even if I often disagree with him and can't/don't want to apply his ideas to my life. Like I stated previously, I just like opinions man, even if they're different from my own and/or targeted at a different demographic than mine.
Most importantly, despite his atrocious filming schedule (LOL, schedule) I still have an ounce of hope in him and his brain powers so I do believe that he'll recognise the irony of him out of all people giving the advice. That means I have a small chance of seeing a hint of old ironic bastard Dan. And that gives me life. Unless he uploads the video and it turns out to be complete shit. Then feel free to remind me of my naivete and I will reluctantly eat my words and pronounce him moronic.

What worries me more is the fact that this video might not see the light of day at all if he has any doubts about it :roll:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

IDK, y'all. I have some faith in Dan. He's incredibly self-aware and probably knows that it would seem like a joke to make even a semi-serious exam-advice video. (Though, if it is, I echo those who say they don't want to here his "wisdom".)

His tweet said the video was meant to be funny... I expect something along the lines of his "get ready with me" video with some sweet ending like "but really guys, good luck. I promise there's freedom out there" like all the rest of his vids.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

It seems to be the direction he's taking his channel in, what with videos like A Message For My Younger Self and genuinely helpful ISGs, projects like #NicerInternet, and the entire goddamn Dan & Phil™ branding. And yeah good for him (them) I guess and cool for the people who need it, but I certainly DON'T need someone the age of my own little brother passing on his Wisdom to me inbetween increasingly lame attempts at "edgy" irony whilst pretending he's being helpful by mistake.

yes to all of the above.
as much as I'm sure he'll try to make it super memetrashrelatableloldeliasmith, it may help some people in school now, but I don't see how it's going to be interesting for the other half of us who have already left school, college, Uni and have full time jobs. Also, his past track record of giving advice about school and saying how terrible it is, always irked me anyways.

Also, whoever said (sorry I'm on my phone and lazy) that they miss sarcastic Dan because the phandom are sensitive about everything he says, SAME.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

Bassoonage wrote:

SAVAGE. Its funny but somewhat offensive for me. I have no issue with people who drop out of college. Dropping out doesn't necessarily mean you have bad study habits.
alittledizzy wrote: You know, this made me think about school-related dinof videos that I'd actually like to see.

- a video on how to tell your parents you're not actually going back to school
- a video on sexuality and teenage peer groups/bullying
- a video on being a teenager and (mis)using social media in ways you might regret five years later
- things you aren't taught in school that you might actually need to know as an adult
- Dropping Out 2: Do I Have Regrets? Fuck no, I'm Rich Now.
1,3 and 4 are nice ideas for DINOF since he's trying to be the serious type recently. RIP sarcastic Dan. But no to bullying video. I've had enough of those kind of videos. I'm sorry.
3 and 4 are great for AP as well coz obviously he has degrees that he barely used, a YT dinosaur and turning 30 soon.

As much as I hate waffling Dan, I really enjoy his serious opinion on different topics (except music) so I am interested to see the video. And from what I've seen so far, he makes good videos of things he's really passionate/interested in. But I will :facepalm: to the nth level if tries to pass it off like isg. He doesn't need to be the #bigbrother Dan just to give tips of sort. #stopisg2016

But who am I kidding I just want content. Even Tumblr people can now feel the content drought.

Dan, stop overanalyzing the video editing. Just post the freaking video!
blueapple_x
flower crown

I have to admit, I wasn't too excited when I heard Dan would be making a video on studying for exams. But then I re-read his tweet about him trying to make it funny so I'll hold my tongue for now and cross my fingers. It's Dan so I have some faith that he'll be sarcastic/funny at some point in the video lol.

While I love it when Dan gives honest opinions as much as the next person, anytime he gives life advice, it's usually directed to the portion of his audience that haven't experienced a whole lot so it always feels like a giant "duh" moment to me. Every time this happens I'm reminded that I'm not their target demographic and so I try to be a little more patient and content at the fact that at least we have similar opinions lol.

OT: I'm guessing if you read Dan's twitter replies you've already seen these but they made me laugh so here ya go Also, HBD IckleMissMayhem!
karma_yeah
philussy

greatnessflicker wrote:uhhh i threw this together quickly and i'm not very good at photoshop, nor can I spell very well without a built-in spellchecker, but here's my contribution lol. I'm a recent graduate so I have a bunch of free time and I'd be interested in helping in whatever way if we are doing a legit publication.

I'm not worthy. You guys are amazing-<3
What goes around, comes around Image
daphenaxa
blobfish

Agreed, I hate that big brother/lame dad Dan that he tries to be. That is SO BORING and unfunny.
I kinda disagree with the Younger self video. I loved it because it wasn't an advice video. It's felt like a very very personal video for Dan and something cathartic and honest. Exactly the videos that I wish Dan did more.
Also lets be honest, I am younger than Dan and still in school and I DON'T NEED his revisions advice. If i wanted those advice, i'd google them since there are billions of sites about that. Also it's not like we don't know what we should do. We all exactly know how we should revise. It's just we are lazy procrastinaty fucks who leave the revision of the entire semester content to 1hour before the test.
I guess the video could still be good if it is in the style of "how not to survive school", you know funny with sketches and stuffs but I don't have much hope.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
fancy_nancy
phabergé

I read some tweets from two days ago and if this is old news pls ignore me but it's these two: https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMathewP ... 8094685184 and https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMathewP ... 2730003456
I also don't have a clue who this guy is
Rusty
phillion/danosaur <//3

fancy_nancy wrote:I read some tweets from two days ago and if this is old news pls ignore me but it's these two: https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMathewP ... 8094685184 and https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMathewP ... 2730003456
I used to watch him, so I think he has no "real" knowledge of them other than watching their videos and I think he's with Channel Flip or Flipside. Plus he's only mentioned them once in a video and it was just to acknowledge that people were saying he "stole" Dan's saying "Hello Internet". I think he's just trying to get attention since as you all know Phan generates a lot of views and attention. I'd take all he has to say with a grain of salt.
eevee
emo goose

Y'all have convinced me that Dan shouldn't have even made this video and what was he thinking, althought I'm glad some of you are looking forward to it. I'm in the camp that thinks it was kinda dumb for him to make it and I agree that I don't need his advice and it's gleam-y and whatever. But content is content. Emoji video would've def been better tho HA
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

fancy_nancy wrote:I read some tweets from two days ago and if this is old news pls ignore me but it's these two: https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMathewP ... 8094685184 and https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMathewP ... 2730003456
[offtopic]He was one of the main accuser during the Craig Dillon sex abuse allegations, he had been on youtube for quite some time but more of the British gay group as he was one of those who came out on youtube and his topics then was more about his "love" life[/offtopic]
Last edited by sweetmm on Fri May 27, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

In regards to the exams, I've just finished uni and I'm sure my final exam was one of the last exams my entire uni did let alone my cohort, itll be interesting to see what age group he's aiming his advice at because the advice I'd personally give a stressed out teenager doing GCSEs would probably be quite different to the advice I'd give a stressed out adult doing final year exams. Although tbf as I've just finished my exams and my preferred method of revision involved enough caffeine to give me a heartbeat so spectacular that Kanye should have sampled it I probably shouldn't judge anyone else's methods.

[offtopic]i know it's a photoshop but the pic on the front of the magazine cover is my favourite pic I've ever seen of d&p it's just insanely lovely to me and I don't know why.[/offtopic]
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

[offtopic]PS whilst on a YouTube music binge I saw this video and realised that this is exactly what I think Dil would look like in real life because I swear he's the perfect cross between Dan and Phil http://youtu.be/Yuwft9ep88o[/offtopic]
angrymob
hobbit hair

Am I the only one that thinks most of his fans ask him questions about exams in the first place because they are trying to get his attention/be relatable too. There are thosands of videos on exam tips on YT, so unless Dan has some extra secret tips he gathered from his comparably limited times in the school system, I can't imagine he'll say anything that can't be easily found elsewhere. Hopefully there'll be a twist and he's trying to set us of his trail. A video that starts with actual tips but veers off into some sort of insane guide of how to get out exams using extreme measures could be funny.
bedhead91 wrote:Not on topic, but...I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of trolls we have encountered so far on this forum. I'm still waiting for the first ''anti Phan'' to make an account, rant at us that all the shippers are delusional and disgusting, and then leave. I wonder what happened to Jonquil.
I have a confession. I'm actually think Phan is a load of shit and have been following this forum to laugh at your pathetic attempts to justify your gross fantasies. You guys don't actually know anything about Dan or Phil. You're just strangers who manipulate and take quotes out of context to create the scenario they want. Take off the phan googles and it's possible to see that much of what is seen as 'phan' is nothing more than a friendship. I can't load anymore jonquil posts to take quotes from because GG is too slow, arggh, I tried.
starlight-still
truth bomb

I'm conflicted between looking at the exam/advice video as Dan's way of adding something that he perceives to be of more value and substance than getting an anime site's subscriptions up or talking about memes and viewing it as a calculated move to stay a blip on that key 12-24 demographic's radar.

A part of me thinks this: Sometimes I wonder if Dan's whole advice dad thing is his way of reconciling some of the less savory details of what YouTube is and how, at the end of the day, it's a marketing tool and phans=viewers=views and subs=cash. Again, insert standard speculation disclaimer but I kinda get the sense that while Phil's more like get that money, cuz, and don't look back Dan's always been a bit more conflicted about some of the mechanics behind marketing to such a young demographic. You'd think the opposite since Dan's the one with the larger subscriber count etc., but personality-wise, he strikes me as the one who might be more scrupulous about it. I'm not saying he 'bout to pull a Crabstickz and start dropping all kinds of truth bombs in four hour live shows (that's a tactic to discuss on another thread) but I think he leans more towards that end of the spectrum than Phil. Hence using his cult leader-like powers for good, blah blah blah.

The other part of me is like: Let's face it: those of us outside the target demographic are a lot less likely to spread that dollar-generating level of phandom investment to a large number of our peers like wildfire, whether online or in person. So aiming to keep those in that bracket engaged when you're at a high risk of losing viewers due to the lack of content coming out is a calculated business decision. While I'm not personally as excited about an exam-focused video as I might be for some other topics, I understand why it's what he's chosen to work with right now.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Who is the 3rd wheel here? I'll say Dan ;)
fancy_nancy
phabergé

sweetmm wrote:Who is the 3rd wheel here? I'll say Dan ;)
why is Dan looking in a complete different direction? haha anyways I find his posing really cute
daphenaxa
blobfish

dan looks so different in those M&G pics. Like he doesn't look like himself at all that's so weird. I think it is because his hair is really flat.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)