Dan & Phil Part 12: Stalking him until he loves you

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Hello you beautiful people, and happy birthday IckleMissMayhem
There's so much to respond to, i always feel bad when i read some many interesting, funny or wonderfully trashy posts. We need that thank you button

Let's just make that Dan and Phil Magazine. Right here. We could just open a thread that we use to collect all the contributions, apply some loose redacting so we can put everyone's work into it and still try to give it some coherence (They managed to make tabinof look decently coherent, so we need not worry things if things are a bit r4ND0m ;) ).

Wham bam trashcan looks like a video has been birthed. Now push that upload button Dan. Yea you push that button right now boy. I. want. you. to. push. that. button... warning: here is where my mind and body rapidly relapsed and i danced like a proper for a few minutes on this video. Problematic? I make no apologies on thirsty thursdays

*cough* ehm so yea.. we're talking college ey? @tymyky Don't stress about you studying metaskills. I had horrible methods, basically procastinating till classes were done, then just morph into a hermit for a few weeks and ram it all in in a few days, pulling an allnighter the day before the exam and looking like a proper caffeine infused zombie at the exams. Textbook example of how you're not supposed to do it but It worked for me. Imo you can't give studying tips that work for everyone, there's different styles to memorize things and we all use our own associations to make sense of things and remember them. Have confidence in your ability to study, because that's gonna help motivate you to put in the effort.
tymyky wrote:Maybe this is a little bit off topic but it correlates with Dan's video so here goes my opinion. Am I the only one who doesn't like these studying tips videos? I know that they can help a lot of people with their studying but I feel really anxious after watching these. I always feel that I'm doing everything wrong and have no chance to pass the exams if I don't do that or that. I know this is kinda stupid because I have my own methods of revising which are working for me but they are usually completely different from the ones youtubers share. I won't probably watch that video even though I am thirsty for new content because I think that it would give me a mental breakdown as I'm in the middle of my finals. Is there anyone with the same problem or am I alone in this world? Just asking for a friend.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I'm about two years into being completely over adult youtubers making videos about school just because they have teenage audiences. I sincerely hope he does it with some self-awareness that he's literally just doing this to relate to his audience. It can still be genuine and I might still enjoy it but my kneejerk reaction is "Seriously? Seriously?" because at the very least Dan has always expressed an interest in staying away from all the Gleam-like rote teenage bait and believing himself to be more original than that. I predict a lot of rehashed "advice" that he's already given in liveshows half a dozen times. Given that his channel hasn't exactly lived up to original or creative in the past year I'm not really surprised, just... meh.

If this is all we get, you better make it damn good, Dan. Because this video has been done a million times over and we all know it.
phamnotof
morning quiff

tymyky wrote:Maybe this is a little bit off topic but it correlates with Dan's video so here goes my opinion. Am I the only one who doesn't like these studying tips videos? I know that they can help a lot of people with their studying but I feel really anxious after watching these. I always feel that I'm doing everything wrong and have no chance to pass the exams if I don't do that or that. I know this is kinda stupid because I have my own methods of revising which are working for me but they are usually completely different from the ones youtubers share. I won't probably watch that video even though I am thirsty for new content because I think that it would give me a mental breakdown as I'm in the middle of my finals. Is there anyone with the same problem or am I alone in this world? Just asking for a friend.
I guess it depends on how he does it. Like I usually HATE advice to my younger self videos/anything, but his is one of my favourite things he's done. He's self aware and smart enough to be able to make it both helpful and entertaining to people who don't need advice. And as far as him having dropped out, I think that has a lot of potential for an interesting POV - such as studying what you care about & actually want to do, because that's the best motivator and ultimately what helps you push through when it's really fucking hard - but also saying that academia isn'r for everyone and that's *okay*, you can still do wonderful things and are not any less smart for not going down that path. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for.
DryCereal
koi pond

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the throwback music Stakhanov :D

Thinking on, I'm not convinced this video will actually see the light of day. When's he ever uploaded anything he's expressed dissatisfaction with quite so publicly? *hides and awaits incoming*
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
eevee
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote:I'm about two years into being completely over adult youtubers making videos about school just because they have teenage audiences. I sincerely hope he does it with some self-awareness that he's literally just doing this to relate to his audience. It can still be genuine and I might still enjoy it but my kneejerk reaction is "Seriously? Seriously?" because at the very least Dan has always expressed an interest in staying away from all the Gleam-like rote teenage bait and believing himself to be more original than that. I predict a lot of rehashed "advice" that he's already given in liveshows half a dozen times. Given that his channel hasn't exactly lived up to original or creative in the past year I'm not really surprised, just... meh.

If this is all we get, you better make it damn good, Dan. Because this video has been done a million times over and we all know it.
y'know I have to say I agree with you. But the thing is, his audience really is 12-24 mainly so I feel like the main audience can benefit, so I see where he's coming from trying to relate to them. Problem is, he can't really relate since he hasn't been in uni in forever.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

IckleMissMayhem wrote:Thanks for the birthday wishes and the throwback music Stakhanov :D

Thinking on, I'm not convinced this video will actually see the light of day. When's he ever uploaded anything he's expressed dissatisfaction with quite so publicly? *hides and awaits incoming*
*sigh* That's very true, unfortunately :sobs:
:biheart:
Bassoonage
drama llama

alittledizzy wrote:I'm about two years into being completely over adult youtubers making videos about school just because they have teenage audiences. I sincerely hope he does it with some self-awareness that he's literally just doing this to relate to his audience. It can still be genuine and I might still enjoy it but my kneejerk reaction is "Seriously? Seriously?" because at the very least Dan has always expressed an interest in staying away from all the Gleam-like rote teenage bait and believing himself to be more original than that. I predict a lot of rehashed "advice" that he's already given in liveshows half a dozen times. Given that his channel hasn't exactly lived up to original or creative in the past year I'm not really surprised, just... meh.

I agree 10000%. I am Dan's age and just finished school a year ago because I got a college and post college degree and and even I no longer think about exams. Like I think it's so weird that someone my age is giving advice on high school or college exams. Like I doubt it's something he's passionate about so I think of it as content he's making for the sole purpose of views so it makes me feel kind of sad/meh.

I know he feels like he has to make a video since its been a month, but I would have even preferred an emoji video if it was something relevant to his life atm.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

Bassoonage wrote:

I agree 10000%. I am Dan's age and just finished school a year ago because I got a college and post college degree and and even I no longer think about exams. Like I think it's so weird that someone my age is giving advice on high school or college exams. Like I doubt it's something he's passionate about so I think of it as content he's making for the sole purpose of views so it makes me feel kind of sad/meh.

I know he feels like he has to make a video since its been a month, but I would have even preferred an emoji video if it was something relevant to his life atm.
The thing is that Dan has spent the past month meeting a lot of young, very enthusiastic fans and I think it's truly hit home with this tour and the previous one how much of an influence he has over their lives. I think he feels like he has some sort of obligation to ''mother'' them a bit, if you will. Also, the problem with Dan making videos about things that are relevant to his life is that his life atm has never been less #relatable. Trust me, I'm over it too, but it's hard to make videos that will resonate with a young, insecure teenage audience when you're in such a different stage of life yourself. He knows that people are impatient for a video, so he's choosing the easy way out.
Last edited by coffee pig on Thu May 26, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

but how is someone who hasnt done that already going to be able to give any advice? obviously i want advice from someone who's finished school and done more advanced things than me lmao. the ~internet support group~ part of dinof relies on helping people, in both totally jokey ways and semi serious ways. there's obviously isg, the existential crisis trilogy, the message to my younger self videos, its not something he's just spewing out now for views. the whole mild and relatable youth consellour stuff is something he's done for ages
besides that, plenty of the techniques still apply to his life, with the tour and presenting and even radio work relying on remembering things and having to work through them
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Since i've yet to watch a vid of them that i didn't at least moderately enjoy, i'm just ok with any content.
I agree it's really not original, honestly if he just does it to relate with his younger fanbase it's a bad idea and i think that's what he's doing here.

I don't see much creative work coming out now they are working hard (they really are doing a lot of shows and travelling in a short time) and i also think the shows might warp their perception of the 'average viewer'. Studying tips might be relevant to the -18 demographic or college / high school crowd, but it can also be off putting to the people that aren't studying anymore. Idr know the statistics, but a good chunk of his subscribers must have been growing along with them ... maybe a 'how to get a mortgage' video would fill that youtube niche better ;-)

edit: basically what bedhead said. Also, diversify your content a bit ffs Dan.

If he would make a bolder creative choice, i feel like a more genuine, honest video would be about why he dropped out, what was really going on in his life then (that goes a bit deeper than just 'existential crisis' ), why he came to the decision and maybe some advice on what he think the way forwards is when your "A plan" (graduating) doesn't work out. That's what will happen to a good part of the viewers too (especially if they just keep watching deppy vids :D ). They could use some moral support from a person they admire.
Last edited by Stakhanov on Thu May 26, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

danphil333 wrote: Next on danisnotonfire:
Back To School: stationary haul
Back To School: middle school vs high school
Back To School: school morning routine
Back To School: Locker DIY Decorations and organization pro-tips
Back To School: expectation vs reality
You know, this made me think about school-related dinof videos that I'd actually like to see.

- a video on how to tell your parents you're not actually going back to school
- a video on sexuality and teenage peer groups/bullying
- a video on being a teenager and (mis)using social media in ways you might regret five years later
- things you aren't taught in school that you might actually need to know as an adult
- Dropping Out 2: Do I Have Regrets? Fuck no, I'm Rich Now.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

^ bring it on. Maybe you've just got to make those video's alttledizzy (k they probably don't apply to you. Oh well, it's not like what Dan uploads necessarily applies to Dan either ;-)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

alittledizzy wrote:
You know, this made me think about school-related dinof videos that I'd actually like to see.

- a video on being a teenager and (mis)using social media in ways you might regret five years later
- things you aren't taught in school that you might actually need to know as an adult
Those would make for great dinof videos. Sadly I can't see him doing any of them, at least not now.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The only thing I thought when I saw Dan's tweet was that their planning is really really shit :sideeye:

Why can't these guys plan anything properly? Why does everything seem rushed and last minute with these two? 'Lalala buy our book, go see our tour... wait fuck we need to make a video for that thing that keeps us relevant in the first place. Let's see what literally everyone else has done by now, and make something out of that but like six months late.' Don't tell me that's not how gaming videos like Agar.io, Akinator and ChimBot were born, you know it's true.

Booooys, I love you so much so why must you frustrate me like this? D:
Stakhanov wrote:warning: here is where my mind and body rapidly relapsed and i danced like a proper for a few minutes on this video. Problematic? I make no apologies on thirsty thursdays

One should never apologize for posting this anyway, Sugababes made some proper bops in their prime.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

alittledizzy wrote:

I legit dream of the day I might actually see a video about Dan struggling with sexuality and teenage bullying. That was the video I needed about six years ago, and it would have meant the world to me if my favourite YouTuber made a sincere video about a topic like that.

Also, the Sugababes used to be my jam and I'm currently listening to that song very loudly in my room and I hope my housemate hates me. She told me she had sex in our kitchen last week, not sure if she was joking but still.
[offtopic]This is vastly offtopic, but since we were talking about 1D earlier, I saw this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... p-me-awake

What in the fresh hell is actually wrong with the One Direction fandom. Does someone know what prompted this?[/offtopic]
Last edited by coffee pig on Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
gnostic
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote:

I'd pay Dan actual money for that last video
Just here for the marketing skills
Bassoonage
drama llama

bedhead91 wrote:
Bassoonage wrote:

The thing is that Dan has spent the past month meeting a lot of young, very enthusiastic fans and I think it's truly hit home with this tour and the previous one how much of an influence he has over their lives. I think he feels like he has some sort of obligation to ''mother'' them a bit, if you will. Also, the problem with Dan making videos about things that are relevant to his life is that his life atm has never been less #relatable. Trust me, I'm over it too, but it's hard to make videos that will resonate with a young, insecure teenage audience when you're in such a different stage of life yourself. He knows that people are impatient for a video, so he's choosing the easy way out.
See your point. If he wants to not be #relatable his next video could be "What to do with all of your sweet cash you made off of merch on your world tour" or "How to do the perfect Ariana Grande pose for all your M&Gs."
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

bedhead91 wrote:
[offtopic]This is vastly offtopic, but since we were talking about 1D earlier, I saw this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... p-me-awake

What in the fresh hell is actually wrong with the One Direction fandom. Does someone know what prompted this?[/offtopic]
[offtopic]I'm asking myself the same thing every effin' day, I was so outraged when this happens, I don't know why everybody in this fandom thinks it's funny to bully children or the people they look up to. It's rumored that it's the same people who called Louis to tell his baby should die because you know, Larry . It's this kind of things that makes want to leave this fandom
Edit : it is not in the article, but you can check Twitter and you'll see everything they said to him and his nephew, they've screenshotted it and tweeted it. And they were actually proud of themselves.[/offtopic]
Last edited by NarrysCanary on Thu May 26, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:biheart:
aralik
sad dimple

gonna try and catch up somehow, you guys move quick!
IckleMissMayhem happy birthday you lovely person you bring light to my everyday reading sessions on IDB
i am so amazed and excited by the idea of our very own magazine! i don't think i'd have much to contribute but i'll be keeping a close eye on that thread, see if there's anything i can do. really, this place is so great! slightly intoxicated hugs to y'all :platonic:
somehow a dinof video of tips for studying for exams semi-seriously sounds better than an emoji video to me so i have higher hopes if this video ever makes it into daylight
alittledizzy those are great video ideas, hope dan really is lurking here so he can take some inspiration ;)
ugh.
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote:

I was kind of excited about Dan's exam video tweet (I only just finished uni so it still feels kind of relevant to me), but those ideas are immediately so much more exciting to imagine/sound so much more interesting that I'm realising just how much of the excitement was content!! literally any content!! I had figured it was about 60%, but it's feeling like 90% now! But it could be great, and could contain aspects of the dropping out stuff, and I do trust Dan to be self aware about it, so I'm going to keep my hopes up a bit!

And happy birthday IckleMissMayhem, hope you had a wonderful day!!
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Catallena Yup, i don't think they were lying those instances where they said 'we had no plan' or 'we had no idea what we are doing'. Success came very quickly and now they are at a point where they don't really have to care about planning. So laziness wins out :lol: ?

Or maybe they have considered it and have decided to put their youtube channels on the backburner. I've wondered before if maybe after all they years of making vids they feel like they're stuck in a rut and want to get out. Certainly writing books and doing vaudeville tours is a way of doing that?

I just plainly enjoy their current vids for what they are but all of their recent content could be so much better if they allowed themselves to break out of the mold and do some things that they are passionate about. I'm gonna have a nightmare about how archeologists 10.000 years from now are going to watch their vids and conclude that young humans in our epoch are frozen solid when they reach their 19th birthday, to preserve their body and mental state for well beyond their thirties.
Anyway, nuff salt from me. Study tip from the principal's office to Bedhead: We think you show a lot of potential but we really wish you would focus more on the workin' and less on the twerkin'
felucca
truth bomb

I hate #BigBrother Dan.

It seems to be the direction he's taking his channel in, what with videos like A Message For My Younger Self and genuinely helpful ISGs, projects like #NicerInternet, and the entire goddamn Dan & Phil™ branding. And yeah good for him (them) I guess and cool for the people who need it, but I certainly DON'T need someone the age of my own little brother passing on his Wisdom to me inbetween increasingly lame attempts at "edgy" irony whilst pretending he's being helpful by mistake. :roll: He's the uncool dad I never needed.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I can't say the topic of revision remotely interests me as exam studying days are now far behind me but I'll probably enjoy it anyway because I'm D&P trash.
When there content is not good I can completely acknowledge that but also still find that I smile while watching it. They make me smile where other youtubers make me roll my eyes. I don't know why.
alittledizzy wrote: - a video on being a teenager and (mis)using social media in ways you might regret five years later
I would seriously love to hear Dan go into this topic in-depth because he is living the cautionary tale about being haunted into adulthood by what you do on the internet as a teenager.
That being said I get why it's never going to happen because all that stuff is still out there and not all casual fans will be aware of things like naked booth and the more attention he draws to it the more people he'll send looking and that leads to more sharing.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Those ideas are interesting, but I'm 99,9% sure they will never see the Youtube light (maybe a LS?), because true opinions and thoughts, without adding unnecessary memes and schtick? Dan Howell? They didn't even dare to say anything when the Youtube sexual scandal dropped like a bomb in the UK, mind you. It's kind of irritating how DP actively avoid anything that may resemble a dramatic situation.

On the other hand, and funnily enough, I feel like it would be great if Phil used any of those ideas, either with Dan or Louise
Stakhanov
haru pillow

felucca wrote:I He's the uncool dad I never needed.
Harsh, but true
I did a quick mind search of 'inappropriate' video's on Dan's channel and it says something about how 'safe' he plays it nowadays if you consider how even sponsored content from a few years back would probably never get uploaded by him now. I mean human slaves in spandex suits? Can't #nicerinternet your way out of this one
Last edited by Stakhanov on Thu May 26, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.