Magazine Project!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/her

Poe wrote:
greatnessflicker wrote:I mess around on photoshop for fun, so I contribute to that (perhaps alongside Poe?), as well. Although I'll need some fine-tuning. I just noticed that the "p" in "improve" and the "l" in "relationship" in my plant page bleed into each other. ugh
I'd love to contribute to the editing/ photoshop/ polishing it all up part alongside with you :mrgreen: I will try to contribute mostly with ideas and design/layout but that #busgate really looks good so I might get into that too.
Nice! Didn't mean to volunteer you, but I hope we can find more design/photoshopy people as I certainly am limited in that area. I believe smarties offered to assist with graphics in the main thread, so there's another.
daphenaxa wrote:
greatnessflicker wrote:
daphenaxa wrote: - maybe some social and political comments. like use what dan and phil would have said and that's listed on the thread and link it to some news events?
I'd love to be responsible for this, though since you started the thread it's your call! :^) or we could collaborate!
go ahead no worries!!! I'd love to collaborate or help you find references and stuff if you need me, no problem but I am all for you being responsible of it
aww, yay! Thanks! I'll probably consult you a bit, but I'm super excited to do this section!

Phil's hand analysis - swofro
Out of Context - IckleMissMayhem
Offline Support Group - IckleMissMayhem
Dan and Phil's recipes - daphenaxa, with katybetts happy to offer help.
the fashion section - daphenaxa (but we need to be several to do the commentaries. LurkingTrash, hunnyftw)
the dogue pose™ - daphenaxa
Puzzle page - swofro
#SecretShadowChicken - Cora808
sociopolitical comments - greatnessflicker
music - mez29
#busgate - Poe (plus others?)
What Will be said During Your Pre-Show Meet and Greet - vortexofphan

illustrations and/or publication design - managed, Jeweul, greatnessflicker, poe, smarties.

hopefully that's accurate/reflective of everyone's posts!
manged
lady door

daphenaxa wrote:
manged wrote:I literally have no idea what's going on (too lazy to skim) but I love creative projects like this.

If you're looking for illustrations, hmu, I actually wouldn't mind the inspiration because I want to get back into painting but I'm in a rut lol. (I've been itching to draw Danye ngl)
please go for it! it could illustrate the fashion segment on Dan's obsession with ugly Yeezus garments
lmao That's right up my alley
gnostic
stress mushroom

Okay, so I have some experience writing articles for a living, and whatnot, but as a non-native speaker I am always in dire need of being proofread

However, I am completely hopeless at all things graphic... I wonder if there is any way I can still be helpful to this most incredible project
Just here for the marketing skills
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

gnostic wrote:Okay, so I have some experience writing articles for a living, and whatnot, but as a non-native speaker I am always in dire need of being proofread

However, I am completely hopeless at all things graphic... I wonder if there is any way I can still be helpful to this most incredible project
maybe you could tap into your legal perspective? how it informs your anti-phan goggles? or insight into the life dan gave up :lol:
gnostic
stress mushroom

greatnessflicker wrote:
gnostic wrote:Okay, so I have some experience writing articles for a living, and whatnot, but as a non-native speaker I am always in dire need of being proofread

maybe you could tap into your legal perspective? how it informs your anti-phan goggles? or insight into the life dan gave up :lol:
I've actually been thinking about it for a long time, a grand article named: Dan You Made A Great Decision, You Would've Been Fucking Miserable In Law, Seriously People Stop Going Into Law School Unless You're Sure You Want It, I'm Sick And Tired Of Dealing With Your Depressed Asses At Office.
(this is a joke I am not actually going to write an unrelated article and try to make anyone put it into phan magazine).
Just here for the marketing skills
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

I wouldn't mine writing a short, non-smutty or shippy, slightly ridiculous fanfic about 's life on the road. It would be a bit like their Vegas story in TABINOF. :)
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

bedhead91 wrote:I wouldn't mine writing a short, non-smutty or shippy, slightly ridiculous fanfic about 's life on the road. It would be a bit like their Vegas story in TABINOF. :)
That'd be nice, actually ! It will be like the little anecdotes turn into short-stories that we can find in the newspaper. :D
:biheart:
mez29
procrastinator

hunnyftw wrote:^^^
please, do! Could you do that for "ladders" as well, please?
Of course!
vortexofphan wrote:I was thinking a quiz, ala the chair personality quiz in tabinof but instead it would be:

"What Will be said During Your Pre-Show Meet and Greet"

I think it could be kind of funny, and we all know they have a semi-script each time. I'd love to start working on it, but I might need some photoshop/graphic design help eventually.
I like the sound of this
aralik
sad dimple

Oh this is so exciting!! I have literally no creative ideas but I'm more than willing to help out in some way. I am not a native speaker but I do write a lot (academia) so I'd be willing to edit/beta for people who needs it. Also kinda wanna contribute on the fashion commentary section to daphnexa in any way she sees fitting ;)
so copying and adding to the latest post of greatnessflicker:

the fashion section - daphenaxa, aralik (but we need to be several to do the commentaries. LurkingTrash, hunnyftw)
Puzzle page - swofro
music - mez29

illustrations and/or publication design - managed, Jeweul, greatnessflicker, poe, smarties.
editing/beta - IckleMissMayhem, eevee, greatnessflicker, aralik am i missing someone else who wants to edit??
ugh.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Oh my wow, I vaguely contribute to suggesting an IDB magazine and then go offline for 8 hours and you've literally started to make a magazine
Not too sure how I would want to contribute so far, and still trying to catch up from my being awol all day but I'm definitely very happy to beta as I'm a native speaker and have been told I'm a pretty decent writer :)
So excited about this as a project though
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

"Keeping Up With the Phandom:
The news you didn't know you needed until just now! Keep up with the recent drama in your favorite fanbase, don't look like a noobie

About 47 phangirls ended up in the hospital after las't night's meet and greet were posted online and two of them had an optical illusion of Dan and Phil holding hands, 42 are making quick progress but unfortunately 5 slipped into a coma as of late.

Garbage can: The phandom creates a support group for phans who have yet to explain to their parents the concept of being a garbage can in the online phandom world, meetings will be held at Fridays on tumblr xxxxx

The curious case of the lego hair? Another war blossomed in the phandom this weekend when a photo of one of the boys sporting 'The Lego Hair' was spotted online. The war was declared after opposing parties 'It's my favorite hair' and 'It looks like a doll wig' engaged in combat this Tuesday, 24. We at IDB Magazine believe it was a case of lightning, wind and photo angle and by that we refrain from expressing the editor's personal opinions."

I just typed this out because I didn't know how to explain the concept, but a page like that would be fun, of course that it would be the last one edited before we get the magazine ready because it needs to keep with currents events, do you guys get what I mean?

(also, this might be strangely worded because I was thinking on my native language in my head and I was too lazy to translate and adapt so I just translated)
:gg:
majitzu
angel bean

LurkingTrash wrote:"Keeping Up With the Phandom:
The news you didn't know you needed until just now! Keep up with the recent drama in your favorite fanbase, don't look like a noobie

About 47 phangirls ended up in the hospital after las't night's meet and greet were posted online and two of them had an optical illusion of Dan and Phil holding hands, 42 are making quick progress but unfortunately 5 slipped into a coma as of late.

Garbage can: The phandom creates a support group for phans who have yet to explain to their parents the concept of being a garbage can in the online phandom world, meetings will be held at Fridays on tumblr xxxxx

The curious case of the lego hair? Another war blossomed in the phandom this weekend when a photo of one of the boys sporting 'The Lego Hair' was spotted online. The war was declared after opposing parties 'It's my favorite hair' and 'It looks like a doll wig' engaged in combat this Tuesday, 24. We at IDB Magazine believe it was a case of lightning, wind and photo angle and by that we refrain from expressing the editor's personal opinions."

I just typed this out because I didn't know how to explain the concept, but a page like that would be fun, of course that it would be the last one edited before we get the magazine ready because it needs to keep with currents events, do you guys get what I mean?

(also, this might be strangely worded because I was thinking on my native language in my head and I was too lazy to translate and adapt so I just translated)
:gg:

this is perfect!
Poe
rainbow nerd

greatnessflicker wrote:
Poe wrote:
greatnessflicker wrote:I mess around on photoshop for fun, so I contribute to that (perhaps alongside Poe?), as well. Although I'll need some fine-tuning. I just noticed that the "p" in "improve" and the "l" in "relationship" in my plant page bleed into each other. ugh
I'd love to contribute to the editing/ photoshop/ polishing it all up part alongside with you :mrgreen: I will try to contribute mostly with ideas and design/layout but that #busgate really looks good so I might get into that too.
Nice! Didn't mean to volunteer you, but I hope we can find more design/photoshopy people as I certainly am limited in that area. I believe smarties offered to assist with graphics in the main thread, so there's another.
No worries this was the plan for me anyway. I'm not the best at photoshop either because I mostly use it for fun so I think we are on the same page about this. Also thank you smarties and Jewul for offering to help us with the graphics part.

About the #busgate, I started writing/doing a little summary of everything that happened on the subject and I can proudly say that you guys are amazing at Sherlocking.

A little question for all of you that already decided on something to write. Will you use one or two pages for your article? I was thinking about this since I read daphenaxa's idea about the fashion police. I think that particular subject will need more than 1 page.
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

Poe wrote: No worries this was the plan for me anyway. I'm not the best at photoshop either because I mostly use it for fun so I think we are on the same page about this. Also thank you smarties and Jewul for offering to help us with the graphics part.

As for the number of pages, I think it will definitely depend on the topic. #Busgate was a big thing and deserves two pages, imo. And the fashion one, if we layout it like dan and phil did their conversations/dialogues in TABINOF, that might take up two pages as well.

Heads up, a full page of text (without any pictures, two-column-ed) is between 700-800 words, give or take. Plan accordingly.

Also, I totally would like to do a pro/con list of different dog breeds, a la that poll we ran a few threads ago.

thanks aralik for helping keep the list updated:
the fashion section - daphenaxa, aralik (but we need to be several to do the commentaries. LurkingTrash, hunnyftw)
Puzzle page - swofro
music - mez29
#getadogdanandphil - greatnessflicker

editing/beta - IckleMissMayhem, eevee, greatnessflicker, aralik, bluebox-away
yonahime
glabella

wow so many great ideas here!

Is there gonna be an official name for the magazine or is it just gonna be 'IDB magazine'?
daphenaxa
blobfish

aralik, LurkingTrash, hunnyftw and all people who want to do the fashion police, add me on twitter (@dildollcursed) so we can pm about chosing the outfits we want to talk about and all :)

I am thinking the current Dan yeezus trend (the camo jumper and the potato sack) needs to be analysed with the pros and antis. I am ANTI personally.

review of Dan's shoes (the latest yeezus scratch ones for ex, I like the design and it is very in but disliked the yeezus as it looked cheap af, the allsaints for ex are a lot nicer), the zipper shoes (i am a fan) etc.

iconic looks from both D&P, we grade them and explain why we like/dislike
maybe how to recreate their style? (there are a lot of tumblrs that do it, but it can be a good way to plug items we love etc.)

http://docdro.id/PLcv3es here is a thing I did for the DP recipes. It is kinda ugly because i did it on words and don't have photoshop or other editing progs but what do you think of the content? katybetts sorry I didn't see you wanted to do that section too. Maybe since I did a special USA, you can do another thing with their favourite recipes or the ribena like you said.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
yonahime
glabella

daphenaxa Phanter/Korein has a PG13 blog -> phantheraglama.tumblr.com

That's a really good content/recipe, hilarious explanation as well :D Where'd you get the pic of the brithday cake milkshake? Maybe there are some free-to-use pic of a vegan burrito out there? not sure tho. It's just a bit jarring for suddenly switching to fanart there imo.

edit cause i always mistake your name soz
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

daphenaxa wrote:aralik, LurkingTrash, hunnyftw and all people who want to do the fashion police, add me on twitter (@dildollcursed) so we can pm about chosing the outfits we want to talk about and all :)

I am thinking the current Dan yeezus trend (the camo jumper and the potato sack) needs to be analysed with the pros and antis. I am ANTI personally.

review of Dan's shoes (the latest yeezus scratch ones for ex, I like the design and it is very in but disliked the yeezus as it looked cheap af, the allsaints for ex are a lot nicer), the zipper shoes (i am a fan) etc.

iconic looks from both D&P, we grade them and explain why we like/dislike
maybe how to recreate their style? (there are a lot of tumblrs that do it, but it can be a good way to plug items we love etc.)

http://docdro.id/PLcv3es here is a thing I did for the DP recipes. It is kinda ugly because i did it on words and don't have photoshop or other editing progs but what do you think of the content? katybetts sorry I didn't see you wanted to do that section too. Maybe since I did a special USA, you can do another thing with their favourite recipes or the ribena like you said.
I revived my old fan twitter for this :lol: already added you! take a look! (@lurkingtrashidb)

I don't have many opinions about dan's looks /the yeezus things only that the potato sack is awesome and the sweater paws are the cutest thing ever.
But phil... I can make a detailed description of my favorite itens and say what's wrong with the ones I didn't like as easily as breathing

And the thing you put together about food: that picture of phil and the waffle is adorable, doesn't matter what you change keep that in! (also loved the piece about lactose ) I would only have the designing team move things around to keep it on two pages, that or expand to four with more recipes and someone get their 'reviews' of foods from live shows to put with the recipes! Loved the little bits of commentary you made for the recipes too! can't say much about the recipes bc every ingredient has a different name in my language and my english isn't that good, lol.

I that we're actually doing this
crash[]
butt chair

Design advice from someone who started designing pages for the first time like 2 weeks ago:
  • 1 serif font, 1 sans serif font per page. If you don't know what that means, look here: https://www.fonts.com/content/learning/ ... t-in-print
  • Generally, try not to only have one kind of font, but don't go overboard either. Usually it's 1 font for titles, 1 for subheadings, and 1 for the body.
  • Color schemes are so important, not just for general page designs, but for your text as well. Make sure your text is legible. (i.e: Dark text on black background/Light text on white background won't work, red text on green background will, etc.)
  • Stay away from corners, give the text about a 1/4 inch of space on each side (I think that's what my prof said? You can just eyeball it, mostly)
Yup. That's all I wanted to contribute. I'm out. Good luck, folks!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

who was the person that wanted to do the conspiracy theories bits? are they still up for doing it?
I know that part will take some work because of the 'material' for that being so spread out on here, lol.
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

daphenaxa, that recipe page is amazing! I absolutely love it. And I think if anyone wants to make something with a design in mind and just do your best to execute it like daphenaxa did, that's great! One of us can translate it into photoshop, or at least try to keep to your general idea.
crash[] wrote:Design advice from someone who started designing pages for the first time like 2 weeks ago:
  • 1 serif font, 1 sans serif font per page. If you don't know what that means, look here: https://www.fonts.com/content/learning/ ... t-in-print
  • Generally, try not to only have one kind of font, but don't go overboard either. Usually it's 1 font for titles, 1 for subheadings, and 1 for the body.
  • Color schemes are so important, not just for general page designs, but for your text as well. Make sure your text is legible. (i.e: Dark text on black background/Light text on white background won't work, red text on green background will, etc.)
  • Stay away from corners, give the text about a 1/4 inch of space on each side (I think that's what my prof said? You can just eyeball it, mostly)
Yup. That's all I wanted to contribute. I'm out. Good luck, folks!
Great advice! However, nitpick-y comment: green and red shouldn't be used as text/background--those two combinations are often hard to distinguish for people with color blindness! (Plus it is immediately associated with Christmas.)

[section removed at poster's request - jesp]

How do we want to pace this? Some people have already started writing, while others (me, lol) have just claimed topics. Again, I don't want to make this stressful for anyone, but we also want to keep time sensitive jokes in mind.
Last edited by jesp on Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed due to legal concerns
angrymob
hobbit hair

This is cool! I'm glad you guys are being productive during the content draught.

I'm willing to do some illustrations if need be. Surely the fact that I'm behind on my bigbang artworks won't matter, pfft. :sideeye:
sweetmm
angel bean

Guys you need to have a phanfiction section and it has to be totally out there e.g. mpreg

Dan in labour

Dan with his newborn
Lain
eclipse shirt

I'd like to contribute a few ads, if there is a desire for that? I'm working on a travel ad for Portugal right now.

Shall I add myself to the list, or is someone doing that?
daphenaxa wrote: also for the ads that such a good idea like an ad for olive garden with Phil's quote "best place I have ever eaten, so cool, I am obsessed" and Dan "ugh" :D
Exactly the type of thing I had in mind.
Jeweul
sad dimple

What are the dimensions if I were to make a new canvas in PS?