Magazine Project!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

Lain wrote:I'd like to contribute a few ads, if there is a desire for that? I'm working on a travel ad for Portugal right now.

Shall I add myself to the list, or is someone doing that?
daphenaxa wrote: also for the ads that such a good idea like an ad for olive garden with Phil's quote "best place I have ever eaten, so cool, I am obsessed" and Dan "ugh" :D
Exactly the type of thing I had in mind.
Do it! (you should totally make an ad about traveling to jamaica or japan)
maybe talk about it with the other person who's also doing that so you guys don't end up making the same ads or things like that
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/her

Jeweul wrote:What are the dimensions if I were to make a new canvas in PS?
For mine, I used a professional flyer template I downloaded once, which was 2625 x 3375. However, the exact specs are something we should decide as a group, right? Anyone more knowledgable than I willing to offer a suggestion?
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

It kind of looks like we're making our own version of , just more meta. I can't help thinking of what Dan said at the start of his most recent ISG: it started out as a joke but gradually got more and more serious as it went along. :lol:

If it's not already taken, I'd love to do the editing tips column that swofro mentioned earlier (or is that too similar to IckleMissMayhem's MSG? :? ). Some submitted questions would be nice, or I could make some up. But I am no good at photo editing, so that part will have to go to someone else. Maybe I could just submit text?

I second sweetmm's idea for a phanfic section. :D

Could there be a tongue-in-cheek analysis of Dan's handwriting, making references to Dan Lester?
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

mysterylovescompany wrote: Could there be a tongue-in-cheek analysis of Dan's handwriting, making references to Dan Lester?
WE FORGOT THE RULES! Someone grab oqua's attention.

mysterylovescompany, go for it! I imagine a lot of people will just be submitting text. You can always include links to pictures you think might look good or just a general idea of what you envision your section(s) to look like, and one of us designers can take it from there. Or not! Up to you.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

mysterylovescompany wrote:It kind of looks like we're making our own version of , just more meta. I can't help thinking of what Dan said at the start of his most recent ISG: it started out as a joke but gradually got more and more serious as it went along. :lol:

If it's not already taken, I'd love to do the editing tips column that swofro mentioned earlier (or is that too similar to IckleMissMayhem's MSG? :? ). Some submitted questions would be nice, or I could make some up. But I am no good at photo editing, so that part will have to go to someone else. Maybe I could just submit text?
I second sweetmm's idea for a phanfic section. :D

Could there be a tongue-in-cheek analysis of Dan's handwriting, making references to Dan Lester?
well... I know I'm only submitting text myself, maybe with a complimentary picture to go with what I end up writing because I can't do anything design-wise, the only photo-editor I know how to vaguely use is picmonkey but you can't create a page with that
hmmm... I'm kinda on the fence about having a phanfic because we discussed about making this enjoyable for everyone by keeping it pg and pan agnostic, I know I might include a few phan hints on what I write but I don't want to make it too obvious bc I don't know what's everybody stance on including this.
colfreckles
drama llama

I'm officially offering my services as a musician/music teacher, although I have no idea what that would entail. Ya'll are much more creative than I am! I'm impressed by how quickly it's all coming together. Go team go!

edit: Whoops, just saw that mez29 is doing something musical -- such a cute idea!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

^^ references about the baking albums they 'made' would be amazing, idk what tho.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

greatnessflicker wrote:
mysterylovescompany wrote: Could there be a tongue-in-cheek analysis of Dan's handwriting, making references to Dan Lester?
WE FORGOT THE RULES! Someone grab oqua's attention.

mysterylovescompany, go for it! I imagine a lot of people will just be submitting text. You can always include links to pictures you think might look good or just a general idea of what you envision your section(s) to look like, and one of us designers can take it from there. Or not! Up to you.
I shall be the resident "Editing Tips? Editing Tips" columnist then.
katybetts
smol bean
Pronouns: dumplin'/sugarplum

OMG daphenaxa that's so awesome! I bow down to your creative skills. It actually kind of looks like you have it handled and you did a fantastic job, so I'll bow out of that one unless we wind up needing more content! or until the second edition, which it looks like we're headed for with all the amazing stuff people are contributing
asimfrickinzazzed
dank meme

comes out of lurkdom to say if you need a fanfiction section I gotchu :thumb:

also a suggestion, if it wasn't already presented and I overlooked it, an article about Persona™ (sorry) and their branding?
manged
lady door

Wheat a minute. So for those of us offering illustrations to go along with articles, is someone going to assign us to a piece of written work? Or is someone just gonna yell out "Hey I need someone to draw XYZ" and an illustrator claims it?

Tbh the earlier I can get started on something, the better :)
Poe
rainbow nerd

manged wrote:Wheat a minute. So for those of us offering illustrations to go along with articles, is someone going to assign us to a piece of written work? Or is someone just gonna yell out "Hey I need someone to draw XYZ" and an illustrator claims it?

Tbh the earlier I can get started on something, the better :)
Well for now I think we'll just claim whatever you guys need us to do at least until we get a basic idea of the magazine and after that we can choose who wants to design what (after everyone that wants to contribute has a subject picked)
vortexofphan
drama llama

mysterylovescompany wrote:
Yes! This should definitely be done. It would be great.
asimfrickinzazzed wrote:
also a suggestion, if it wasn't already presented and I overlooked it, an article about Persona™ (sorry) and their branding?
Oooh that could be really interesting. I'd read it!

Question: I have my part as a PDF, but I'm rather technologically challenged, so, how do I upload it to here?
Poe
rainbow nerd

vortexofphan wrote:
mysterylovescompany wrote:
Yes! This should definitely be done. It would be great.
asimfrickinzazzed wrote:
Oooh that could be really interesting. I'd read it!

Question: I have my part as a PDF, but I'm rather technologically challenged, so, how do I upload it to here?
Maybe upload it to OneDrive or on some kind of uploading site and share the link here like daphenaxa did? When I have a little more time I'll look into a site for us to upload everything, if anyone has any suggestions on this please tell us.
daphenaxa
blobfish

If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
kooshka
living flop

This seems like a really fun idea and I'm so happy you're making it happen! I would love to contribute, I'm shit at coming up with actual content but I have some professional background in editorial/graphic design and can work my way around the holy trinity of PS, Illustrator and InDesign, so if there's any need for extra help with that stuff I'd be glad to make myself useful.
swofro
angel bean

So, I was reading one of my old magazine to find inspiration for what a page should look like, when I stumble upon a recipe page featuring "Ribena jelly* with fruits salad" and "Vanilla cupcake with ribena icing". I might translate it for fun later.

*The recipe is in my national language and the direct translation is jelly but it is actually Konnyaku jelly.
Love is forever
daphenaxa
blobfish

asimfrickinzazzed wrote:
hey you should totally write that. I think we need kinda serious in depth pieces like that. Also you can use the msgs that people leave on the main thread now about the "dad Dan" advice video that Dan is gonna drop. Some are quite negative but I think its very interesting.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
swofro
angel bean

The list thing (feel free to update your own name!)

Phil's hand analysis - swofro
Out of Context - IckleMissMayhem
Offline Support Group - IckleMissMayhem
Dan and Phil's recipes - daphenaxa, with katybetts happy to offer help.
the fashion section - daphenaxa, aralik (but we need to be several to do the commentaries. LurkingTrash, hunnyftw)
the dogue pose™ - daphenaxa
Puzzle page - swofro
#SecretShadowChicken - Cora808
sociopolitical comments - greatnessflicker
music - mez29
#busgate - Poe (plus others?)
What Will be said During Your Pre-Show Meet and Greet - vortexofphan
#getadogdanandphil - greatnessflicker
Travelling ad (Portugal) - Lain
Editing tips? Editing tips. - mysterylovescompany

illustrations and/or publication design - manged, Jeweul, greatnessflicker, poe, smarties, angrymob kooshka
editing/beta - IckleMissMayhem, eevee, greatnessflicker, aralik, bluebox-away

Topic without author (yet)
-Dan's handwriting analysis
-Persona and branding
-Conspiracy theory

Are we doing phanfic?

Please add your name and stuff in case I miss it!
Love is forever
backin09
living flop

I'd love to do a 'phanfiction recs' page if that's okay

Phil's hand analysis - swofro
Out of Context - IckleMissMayhem
Offline Support Group - IckleMissMayhem
Dan and Phil's recipes - daphenaxa, with katybetts happy to offer help.
the fashion section - daphenaxa, aralik (but we need to be several to do the commentaries. LurkingTrash, hunnyftw)
the dogue pose™ - daphenaxa
Puzzle page - swofro
#SecretShadowChicken - Cora808
sociopolitical comments - greatnessflicker
music - mez29
#busgate - Poe (plus others?)
What Will be said During Your Pre-Show Meet and Greet - vortexofphan
#getadogdanandphil - greatnessflicker
Travelling ad (Portugal) - Lain
Editing tips? Editing tips. - mysterylovescompany
Phanfiction Recs: backin2009

illustrations and/or publication design - manged, Jeweul, greatnessflicker, poe, smarties, angrymob kooshka
editing/beta - IckleMissMayhem, eevee, greatnessflicker, aralik, bluebox-away
without the internet, we never would have met
majitzu
angel bean

daphenaxa wrote:http://docdro.id/cY24SsW
Perfect
yonahime
glabella

Is there gonna be a phanfic too? Or just phanfic rec?
LurkingTrash wrote:
hmmm... I'm kinda on the fence about having a phanfic because we discussed about making this enjoyable for everyone by keeping it pg and pan agnostic, I know I might include a few phan hints on what I write but I don't want to make it too obvious bc I don't know what's everybody stance on including this.
I think if it's a crack fic like say, Phil's fanfic (or maybe oqua's too), or just a fic with no romantic mention like Dan's it could work? Everyone could enjoy it whether or not they like to read phanfic and wherever they are on the shipping scale.

But i'm a phan so whatever works for me. Anyone who's phan agnostic or anti phan can give their opinions?
swofro wrote:So, I was reading one of my old magazine to find inspiration for what a page should look like, when I stumble upon a recipe page featuring "Ribena jelly* with fruits salad" and "Vanilla cupcake with ribena icing". I might translate it for fun later.

*The recipe is in my national language and the direct translation is jelly but it is actually Konnyaku jelly.
Oooh, that's interesting! Ribena is such an iconic DnP drink to me, cause i never know it exists before i watch them
daphenaxa wrote:http://docdro.id/cY24SsW
'Get well soon Dan' Hilarious as usual
starlight-still
truth bomb

I freaking love this idea and have been trying to think of something to contribute since yesterday, and here's what I've come up with: horoscopes.

Actually, "Deposcopes" to be exact :D

They won't be the usual signs, they'll have their own special system.

I mean, if that's OK...you guys don't have to add it if you don't want but I will send it (just let me know where) and then you can decide or add graphics, etc...
asimfrickinzazzed
dank meme

daphenaxa wrote:
asimfrickinzazzed wrote:
hey you should totally write that. I think we need kinda serious in depth pieces like that. Also you can use the msgs that people leave on the main thread now about the "dad Dan" advice video that Dan is gonna drop. Some are quite negative but I think its very interesting.
i'm game, and objective... at least for "journalistic" purposes
Poe
rainbow nerd

starlight-still wrote:I freaking love this idea and have been trying to think of something to contribute since yesterday, and here's what I've come up with: horoscopes.

Actually, "Deposcopes" to be exact :D

They won't be the usual signs, they'll have their own special system.

I mean, if that's OK...you guys don't have to add it if you don't want but I will send it (just let me know where) and then you can decide or add graphics, etc...
The idea sounds fun just post it here on the thread and we'll see what we can do about the graphics and layout :platonic:
kooshka wrote:This seems like a really fun idea and I'm so happy you're making it happen! I would love to contribute, I'm shit at coming up with actual content but I have some professional background in editorial/graphic design and can work my way around the holy trinity of PS, Illustrator and InDesign, so if there's any need for extra help with that stuff I'd be glad to make myself useful.
It would be amazing if you could help with the graphics! Most of us don't have that much experience with the holy trinity and just use them for fun (I'm now installing the InDesign because I feel like I can work easier with it than photoshop alone) so a professional would make a big difference!

Re: page dimensions
I realised that we have different page dimensions so I think it would be a good idea to have a chat about this. kooshka we would really appreciate a little help here :lol: