Dan & Phil Part 13: So Bored That This Is Our Thread Name

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
slytherina
squish
Pronouns: she/her

They even sleep in their persona order... Dan on the left, Phil on the right!
Speaking of persona order

I was watching one of the PINOFs today and it made me unnecessarily happy to see them in persona order on the thumbnails, especially the early ones that pre-dated the 'brand' of Dan and Phil. Although they had to ruin the pattern in number 5 :lol:
Ticia wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
eevee wrote:
NarrysCanary wrote:
Ticia wrote: - He is rapidly approaching 6M subs, isn't he?
I noticed that. He'll have about 3M more subs than Phil, that's quite a lot.
ugh seriously they're such a brand together that I really don't understand anyone who subs to just one of them. i guess there are super casual viewers out there but really?
Yeah I don't get that either to be honest. Especially with Dan's upload schedule.
Sadly enough, I think the main reason is Dan being the typical sexy boy, and Phil not being the type of pretty that attracts preteen or teen audience
I sadly have to agree with Ticia; casual viewers may be attracted to Dan('s channel) more, though it still doesn't make sense to me. Phil's managed to stay relevant on the youtube scene for so long that it feels like he deserves more subs
Last edited by slytherina on Sat May 28, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not sorry, but I think Phil is :lol:
zvk
squish

slytherina wrote:I almost fell through the trash-can into the centre of the earth when I saw this mark on Dan's neck but then I think I remember it being discussed and explained in a previous thread? Sorry to bring it up again if so but can someone remind me where it came from? :D

Also this screencap is generally just
i've seen mention of that one in a few places but what about the other one?! i know they're not real at all, they aren't dumb, but i'm bummed because the other one on the side of his neck hasn't been mentioned at all :cry:

does he just ask phil to stab him in the neck with a pencil before they film so people will have something to talk about?
shikaritrash
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Ticia wrote: He hasn't answered anything like that except from this irrelevant bit:
I mean you're talking about the water bottle meanwhile this tweet where he says 'we checked out' is here right in front of us ?!

Finally some content i thought it was pretty good. I liked the editing and thought he put lots of effort into it. I liked the fact that it was in a different environment as well but don't have much to say towards the actual content cause I can't relate to it anymore and I thought it was a bit generic.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dan senses tingling 24/7 soz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

bedhead91 wrote:
Phantasy wrote:
So if Dan was playing the DS in bed and set it down on the left side (and presumably slept on the left side), then who's water bottle is that on the right side?? Image

Uh...it could just be Dan's? I don't see why it means anything that you would put a bottle of water on a different dresser. Not to burst your Phan theory bubble, but that's pretty far-fetched.
Don't get me started on Charles and Erik akui.
I don't ship it romantically but still, even as a bromance that was painful for my heart to deal with.
It depends cuz Dan usually put stuff on top of both his side tables at his London home.

It's painful because it's love
Last edited by akui on Sat May 28, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan's video was... okay? But very Zoella-esque. I really would've preferred a proper How NOT to Survive Exams, the video really would've benefited from some more biting sarcasm. I guess it was supposed to be a How Not To video but like he said on Twitter it became genuinely helpful. But the advice was just so predictable, like it came straight out of the advice column of a teen magazine. Maybe it did (I see a conspiracy theory about D&P secretly being involved with Shout in here somewhere ).

I'm pretty happy with it being a sketch video again because it means that he did put in effort that I wouldn't have expected while he was on tour, but the comedy was hit or miss for me. Like the Steve/Bucky MPreg fic joke made me giggle, but the Johnlock one felt forced and there were others too that I felt like I should laugh at but didn't land for me. I enjoyed the part about the job securtity of a YouTuber like himself though, made it at least a little more real and personal. Plus, it did remind me that I needed to feed my cats in Neko Atsume :thumb:

So I didn't hate it, but it's really not a video for me and I don't think I'll rewatch it anytime soon. I had hoped that maybe it would tickle my (very limited because school was shit for me) nostalgia for my school days the way his How NOT To Survive School video did once upon a time, but it didn't and that was a real shame. I hope his next video is a little more accessible to other age groups again and that he keeps up the sketch videos :D

About the room/bed; it's possible that they booked two double rooms this time (instead of one twin room like they did the day of the liveshow/undertale filming) so that Dan wouldn't bother Phil while filming. Though looking at some shaky camerawork, Phil was definitely the camera man at some parts.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

PolarFox wrote:
Phantasy wrote:So if Dan was playing the DS in bed and set it down on the left side (and presumably slept on the left side), then who's water bottle is that on the right side??
His secret girlfriend's who is actually one of the merch girls, #duh, get your phan goggles off you creep.
Ehm.
Random phantrash note: Phil doesn't seem to have a glass of water on his bedside table on the Sleepless Night with Phil's videos, but he has one in the Day in the Life of DP in London
shikaritrash wrote:I mean you're talking about the water bottle meanwhile this tweet where he says 'we checked out' is here right in front of us ?!
I assumed he was talking about the Dan and Phil Tour crew as a whole
swofro
angel bean

NarrysCanary wrote:
swofro wrote:
fancybum wrote: Edit: 'drop the bass' - I just remembered that awful vlog moment with Alfie. Is this an appropriate situation for 'I'm you but stronger'? The character growth never ends.
Which vlog?

This one, at 3:20
Thanks. That was awkwardly funny
Love is forever
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Really sorry to doublepost, but do you remember those two lists TATINOFupdate posted (and shortly after deleted), about Dan facts to be approved by Phil and vice versa? It happened in today's M&G.
sunday

Aw I actually loved the vid and thought it was one of the best ones he's done in ages
I suspect the incorporation of so many sketches was done as a result of the overwhelming positive feedback he got from including sketches in his anime vid.
I loved it, it was a classic DINOF vid for me. I'm at uni and none of the tips are things I haven't already heard before, but I don't really care. Dan's fanbase is largely teenage girls who might have found it helpful and I don't have a problem with him sometimes skewing his content more towards that demographic. It's logical that he would do so.

The mention of having nothing to fall back on at the end seemed a little too real for me. I disagree anyway, his experience working for the BBC is invaluable. I'm sure he could find other work in the entertainment industry.

I'm total trash but good god Dan looked good in that video and I bloody love Dan in a collared shirt
hunnyftw
phabergé

trashqueen wrote:trying to make his life relatable is becoming every second more difficult and forced and i don't enjoy it at all, but his personality is still relatable, if he made videos about stuff that is relevant to his life right now i would enjoy it more in a 'lol same, if i was a famous youtuber' way
That's such an accurate way of putting it, thanks It highlights the issues I had with the way he ended the video: it reeked of trying to make himself relatable in an area where he isn't anymore (his professional life). I understand why he may feel the need to do this and I certainly don't envy him the creative choices that he would have to make in order to break free from that, but I think it's a missed opportunity for something bigger, something better. And I believe that his personality could still shine through in all it's genuinely relatable glory even if he wouldn't so desperately try to stay #on brand relatable.

jfc why do I look so negative again? Just to reiterate, I think the video was "quite ok" :lol:
Last edited by hunnyftw on Sat May 28, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shikaritrash

Ticia wrote:
shikaritrash wrote:I mean you're talking about the water bottle meanwhile this tweet where he says 'we checked out' is here right in front of us ?!
Yeah I guess that could work too...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dan senses tingling 24/7 soz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SquishPhan
capita£ester

slytherina wrote:

I was watching one of the PINOFs today and it made me unnecessarily happy to see them in persona order on the thumbnails, especially the early ones that pre-dated the 'brand' of Dan and Phil. Although they had to ruin the pattern in number 5 :lol:
Number 5 does kind of ruin the whole thing. :lol:
slytherina wrote:
Ticia wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
eevee wrote:
NarrysCanary wrote:
Ticia wrote: - He is rapidly approaching 6M subs, isn't he?
I noticed that. He'll have about 3M more subs than Phil, that's quite a lot.
ugh seriously they're such a brand together that I really don't understand anyone who subs to just one of them. i guess there are super casual viewers out there but really?
Yeah I don't get that either to be honest. Especially with Dan's upload schedule.
Sadly enough, I think the main reason is Dan being the typical sexy boy, and Phil not being the type of pretty that attracts preteen or teen audience
I sadly have to agree with Ticia; casual viewers may be attracted to Dan('s channel) more, though it still doesn't make sense to me. Phil's managed to stay relevant on the youtube scene for so long that it feels like he deserves more subs
I have to agree with this as well. The looks plus the fact that Dan is doing the whole relatable thing, which helps him gain new subs as well.
vincentian
hobbit hair

The lab rat that I am is happy to get content from Dan, but:
1) Agree with everyone, the advice was too generic, I wish he at least gave some lifehacks/tips he used himself (not that he remembers any now having left school 5 years ago).
2) I saw hard attempts to make the video funny by filling it with previously told anecdotes, memes, jokes, references etc. But it didn't 100% compensate for the lack of good script or very overused subject. Appreciated the sketches though despite the fact that this was filmed on tour.
3) Johnlock 5ever
4) On the positive side, the video being filmed in the hotel room made me feel a bit more connected to D&P, like a got a small update on their lives (rip liveshows).
eevee wrote:I don't think they're going anywhere but Dan saying Youtube was all he had was kinda weird to me, because if you really think about it and are really truthful, at this point Youtube is NOT all he has. If he stopped making videos for 6 months, he'd probably still have 6 months of a steady income flow from the book, merch, existing video views, and upcoming tour movie. He's acting like he doesn't already know that. Their schedules are slower because they know that they can afford to slack off with all the income they get from the above mentioned. I don't mean to be negative but I feel like it was kinda weird for him to say YT is all he has but then again I see the flip side of it which is that all of the above stemmed from his YT career...I think it would've been more accurate to say something like "you guys are all i have" giving credit to his viewers, like YT alone isn't all you have, it's the viewers that watch you AND buy your stuff.
I agree

I'm bad at casual bants, but very much enjoy reading them, ty all for providing top quality reading material!
Last edited by vincentian on Sat May 28, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newslang
phillion/danosaur <//3

Ticia wrote:Really sorry to doublepost, but do you remember those two lists TATINOFupdate posted (and shortly after deleted), about Dan facts to be approved by Phil and vice versa? It happened in today's M&G.
My second-hand embarrassment is real.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Ticia wrote:Really sorry to doublepost, but do you remember those two lists TATINOFupdate posted (and shortly after deleted), about Dan facts to be approved by Phil and vice versa? It happened in today's M&G.
I mean obviously they had to sign and pretend to approve of it, I can't even imagine the fallout if they hadn't done so, which makes it that this doesn't really mean or say anything to me. Also it amuses me that they didn't check of any boxes
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

mez29 wrote: Another yes to the tie from me I found it interesting too that he kept emphasising that YouTube was his only income source. Perhaps hinting that they're not going back to the radio?
Yeah, it could be. The way the BBC said they're still part of the family might mean anything, covers odd shows rather than a regular one, anyway.
phamnotof wrote: Idk, is there a middle 20s crisis known to happen to college drop outs second-guessing their choices & therefore clinging onto HS success/accomplishments? Because me wants to do some armchair psychology, almost.
For people approaching 25, there is. I remember it well from ten years ago and finding a checklist of all the things it's typical to feel and think about, and I ticked most of them off. All about re-evaluating your entire life, choices, friends. He might be having some of that.
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

saw that on twitter. i feel a whole lot of second-hand embarrassment at the fact that they didn't check a single box off. maybe the fan can rationalize it by saying they approved or thinking they didn't have the time to read and check it off, but boy...
uninspiredbun
crusty sponge

i love how they didn't even bother checking any of the boxes. IS it because they didn't have the time or because they just didn't want to?

edit. basically what greatnessflicker said
Last edited by uninspiredbun on Sat May 28, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swofro
angel bean

SquishPhan wrote:
slytherina wrote:

Number 5 does kind of ruin the whole thing. :lol:
Offtopic but not so much, I once read about this on wiki for fun. It's called 180_degree_rule
It is an interesting topic but I don't think they are following it.
Love is forever
Winston
flower crown

Ticia wrote:
PolarFox wrote:
Phantasy wrote:So if Dan was playing the DS in bed and set it down on the left side (and presumably slept on the left side), then who's water bottle is that on the right side??
His secret girlfriend's who is actually one of the merch girls, #duh, get your phan goggles off you creep.
Ehm.
Random phantrash note: Phil doesn't seem to have a glass of water on his bedside table on the Sleepless Night with Phil's videos, but he has one in the Day in the Life of DP in London
I took it as everyone they were with checked out as well.

The water thing... they have both made comments in the past about Phil having water by the bed, and water hoarding in general. And in the prank video there are like 4 in the room.

Hotel king beds are really big, I mean I know he is tall but not Shaq. If he had his DS on one side and then wanted a drink, it is quite the treck to get to it. And pretty inconvenient. With that said though it is entirely possible it is his....
actions speak louder than words
slytherina
squish

SquishPhan wrote:
I mean obviously they had to sign and pretend to approve of it, I can't even imagine the fallout if they hadn't done so, which makes it that this doesn't really mean or say anything to me. Also it amuses me that they didn't check of any boxes
The nail polish thing again? :roll:
Love that Dan 'deserves so much happiness' whilst Phil 'deserves happiness'. We all know who that fan stans :lol:
greatnessflicker wrote:i feel a whole lot of second-hand embarrassment at the fact that they didn't check a single box off. maybe the fan can rationalize it by saying they approved or thinking they didn't have the time to read and check it off, but boy...
Tell me about it. Makes me wonder how have managed to deal with this kind of stuff on a regular basis. They must be immune by now - I would have exploded from the internal cringing ages ago if I were them. Unless they're robots
Last edited by slytherina on Sat May 28, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not sorry, but I think Phil is :lol:
fancybum
senpai

Ok the one bed could be something (or not, he could have used another tour member's room for the ~aesthetic~ while they were out sightseeing for all we know) but do we need to freak out over such mundane things as where garbage is placed on tables. Who is so orderly in a one-night hotel to keep their stuff on some kind of designated nightstand? As if people don't pick things up and walk around; its not an immovable museum display. It's a water bottle. It's just a cigar. And 'we checked out' is a completely normal and factual statement not some kind of slip. Maybe he's referring to him and Phil, maybe he's referring to literally everybody on the tour. Either way it tells us nothing because of course they'll all be checking out at the same time. Like wut. God I'm sorry if I sound like a dick but where is the chill? Real and meaningful things will get lost in a sea of 'holy shit they brushed hands they're married lol they drank out of the same cup they're practically fucking on camera'. Am I missing all the irony?

nevermind, I need a nap
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

fancybum wrote:Ok the one bed could be something (or not, he could have used another tour member's room for the ~aesthetic~ while they were out sightseeing for all we know) but do we need to freak out over such mundane things as where garbage is placed on tables. Who is so orderly in a one-night hotel to keep their stuff on some kind of designated nightstand? As if people don't pick things up and walk around; its not an immovable museum display. It's a water bottle. It's just a cigar. And 'we checked out' is a completely normal and factual statement not some kind of slip. Maybe he's referring to him and Phil, maybe he's referring to literally everybody on the tour. Either way it tells us nothing because of course they'll all be checking out at the same time. Like wut. God I'm sorry if I sound like a dick but where is the chill? Real and meaningful things will get lost in a sea of 'holy shit they brushed hands they're married lol they drank out of the same cup they're practically fucking on camera'. Am I missing all the irony?

nevermind, I need a nap
I completely agree, I was sitting here trying not to judge everyone for getting worked up over a water bottle, but really....

It's just a water bottle.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
danphil333
hobbit hair

chloek88 wrote: could not agree more that seeing dan grow so beautifully from the time that video is filmed to present day is delightful. he has definitely learned how to be comedic and dark without being offensive or insensitive. he's also learned how to derive self-worth from his creative content, thoughtfulness, and characteristics, rather than his physical appearance. his character development is one of my favorite things about him and one of the only reasons i'm interested in any of his content pre-2014ish. (i can literally hear danphil333's eye roll at this entire post :lol: )
i didnt eyeroll that much tbh
i read your post after i watched dans new video and the "learned how to be comedic" made me lol so hard
i cant get this video out of my head since
danisnotonfire is not funny: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31u2ay
i am this guy

Dans new video(and everything he does nowadays) feels so forced and he is so painfully unfunny. I mean if i, an old soul on the internet, can see that he is too late, referencing Johnlock and making lame jokes about neko atsume or whatever there is a big problem for the internet cult leader.

He comes across so desperate with his pathetic attempts on being funny. Always trying to find a way to talk about shipping and make the same jokes his own phandom made 9 months ago way more successful than him. Place a hat or a pillow somewhere in shot to get everyone excited for THE CONTENT. what a great talent he has.i was surprised he didnt mention Bob the hot math teacher. He really missed an opportunity for another "enter me" or "i am arroused" joke

also his editing changed for the worst since the gaming channel launched. In this video alone, how many close ups and "tremble" shots can you fit in a 7 min video. after every sentence he had to put another weird edit to make it funny. Especially when the actual content of the video is ..nah.. editing it to death wont help. I used to love his editing but now its just too much (he really loved those editing tips, didnt he?)

what is even sadder is that this video was better than most of his content the last two years :(

most of the 3 mil subs someone mentioned are probably dans casual subscribers that stopped watching him in 2013-4. and people tricked by his old content that subscribe even now. those people that have nothing to do with the phandom and wont spent their money on merch and the book/tour

and back to the important stuff: one bed, two bottles, phil filmed dan .....#phanconfirmed
swofro
angel bean

slytherina wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
The nail polish thing again? :roll:
Love that Dan 'deserves so much happiness' whilst Phil 'deserves happiness'. We all know who that fan stans :lol:
greatnessflicker wrote:i feel a whole lot of second-hand embarrassment at the fact that they didn't check a single box off. maybe the fan can rationalize it by saying they approved or thinking they didn't have the time to read and check it off, but boy...
Tell me about it. Makes me wonder how have managed to deal with this kind of stuff on a regular basis. They must be immune by now - I would have exploded from the internal cringing ages ago if I were them. Unless they're robots

Agree to everything.
Don't quote me on this but I think I stalk her twitter once and she admits she isn't a Phil stan.

I also feel so embarrassed by that. Chances are, they don't even read the direction at the top, make sure they don't accidentally admit phan is real and quickly sign. Sigh.
Love is forever