Dan & Phil Part 15: F*ck Your Best Friend Day

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

Poe wrote:
SquishPhan wrote: This scares me a bit.
This was the first thing I saw when I woke up today and honestly? This scared the shit out of me. I still regret opening the notification :sideeye:
Same here. Just what I wanted to see when I woke up this morning. It still scares the shit out of me now :wtf:

Also I can't believe how much I missed this place. I am #idbtrash
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

yay idb is back *does a little dance* I missed you guys
This makes me sad because his hair looks great but the terrifying dog ruins everything. :cry:

Also, I feel like a true trash can for always thinking it's cute when they tweet at about the same time
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

Kathrynxjane wrote:
Poe wrote:
This was the first thing I saw when I woke up today and honestly? This scared the shit out of me. I still regret opening the notification :sideeye:
Same here. Just what I wanted to see when I woke up this morning. It still scares the shit out of me now :wtf:
I woke up to this as well and I was scared :lol:

And IDB is finally back Please don't go away ever again
:biheart:
grannypants
living flop

is this a snapchat filter or just a really scary edit? :shock:
also yay for idb back online! i didn't realise how much i rely on this forum for
entertainment until it was down
"don't mind me, just having a little float" - dan howell
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

grannypants wrote:
also yay for idb back online! i didn't realise how much i rely on this forum for
I went to to snapchat to check if it isn't a new filter but no, I bet it's that app they used for the face swapping video.
hola
crusty sponge

LurkingTrash wrote:
grannypants wrote:

I went to to snapchat to check if it isn't a new filter but no, I bet it's that app they used for the face swapping video.
It's called masquerade and I think it is a polar bear
Winston
flower crown

Horrifying! I have phobia of people in dog/animal outfits. (Don’t know if it is even a sanctioned phobia, but I could never be a furry.) I may need eye bleach to undo the trauma Philip. However bad it is though, I am so happy for IDB to be back that I would gladly have this picture on every page. Seriously, my entertainment was very much lacking without all of you guys!
Last edited by Winston on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
actions speak louder than words
Lobster
glabella

Sorry to bring up dream talk again from the last thread, but I couldn't resist sharing
[offtopic]I once dreamt that Deppy were my roommates. They were both about 18 in the dream, and I was really close friends with them and I lived a double life online reading idb and posting misleading stuff about them so no one would figure out they were actually together. It felt really real and it took me a good 10 seconds when I woke up to realise that my roommates were not Dan and Phil.[/offtopic]
Also thank fuck idb has returned!
I thought for ages that it was just my internet fucking up, and I didn't realise how much I lurk here until it was taken from me
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yay IDB is back

Phil's face swap scared the shit out of me this morning, I was just half awake scrolling through Twitter and then that appeared. I was planning on going back to sleep for another hour as well but that wasn't happening anymore due to that absolute nightmare fuel. D:

Anyway, the phandom is now actively encouraging Phil's bad dietary habits and pancake addiction.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
ironic
lady door

Rant:
Dan: makes an ambiguous tweet OR Phil: doesn't get enough praise for his video
People: omg poor baby I hope he's okay let's overflow him with our love

Someone: that one thing Dan does makes me feel triggered and/or mocked, I wish he would act somewhat different
People: omg you're so sensitive not everything is problematic learn to take a joke smh kids these days

Fascinating.

Dan is allowed to joke about his life in any way he wants to, everybody is, however 1) there's time and place for every joke 2) every action has consequences and people feeling uncomfortable is just one of them. I'm sure it's neither Dan's nor those teens' intention to mock serious issues and it might be ridiculous for you that someone gets that reaction but it doesn't make their feelings any less real and valid, you know.

And yeah I also feel kind of mocked when I look at this guy dramatically falling on bed, acting like his overthinking is making him unable to stay in vertical position. And I feel even worse looking at a group of people recreating his joke. I never saw a healthy person that reacts to their problems by laying motionless on the floor for several hours (no, I don't mean taking a nap or just relaxing) but I've seen ill people in this horrible state, I've been there, and it's something I strongly associate with mental health problems. Can you see where I come from?

I would never write a tweet like that because (aside from the fact it's written rather poorly) my knee-jerk reaction when something is making me feel bad is to gtfo instead of waiting for a change from a person that doesn't give a shit (and maybe good for him) BUT I support people trying to get their voice heard. I don't even think he needs to change though it would be rather nice to get an explanation from Dan why he keeps making that joke (because apart from the people that are hurt/offended, there is also a bunch of people that worry about him.)

Some of you also made some points that I agree with, but I wanted to show a different perspective. I don't expect everybody to look at it the same way, we all have different experiences and a different sense of humour, I get it. HOWEVER, it would be amazing if people were more empathetic and tried to understand other human's point of view instead of mocking them even more because that's just cruel.
Now that I established my position as your local oversensitive weirdo :roll: I'm going to shut up and wait (im)patiently until they upload something.
That picture Phil tweeted is scary af.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
chloek88
spork

It's times like these that I appreciate the phandom's humour, this is so funny. Hope Dan actually sees this, I think he'd get a kick out of it. (Although including love from Louise, pj, and Chris is a little cringe. Mostly bc Chris.)
Edited to add: ironic, thank you so much for saying all of that. I could not agree more with everything you said, and people on here's harsh, condescending attitudes yesterday about the Twitter user who spoke up really put me off for a bit... Anyway, you worded all of my thoughts on the matter perfectly
Last edited by chloek88 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster
glabella

chloek88 wrote:It's times like these that I appreciate the phandom's humour, this is so funny. Hope Dan actually sees this, I think he'd get a kick out of it. (Although including love from Louise, pj, and Chris is a little cringe. Mostly bc Chris.)
manged
lady door

More importantly, can we further confirm in which but this photo was taken?

That shade of espresso-y brown makes me think:

but then look at the defined wood grain pattern! The diffused dark patches seem to match this interior:

And the difference in hue could easily be due to the shitty lighting and camera quality in the selfie.

BUTTTT this most closely matches the interior of this 12 bunk bus:
And it's been confirmed by one of the merch ladies' tweets that they do have this bus with them on the road. Oh, what's that? Phil (and Dan) actually leave their bus to socialize with others on the other buses?
majitzu
angel bean

I wake up to that horrible pic too.

I think is the second picture. Because of the remite controls

Hi guys. Miss ya
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Moderator Action :
Hi guys! Good to see #busgate is back in swing. :D

As many of you probably noticed, IDB wasn't working for a good portion of yesterday. The reason for the downtime was on our host's end. IDB is currently hosted by ProphpBB, and lately, it seems that ProphpBB has been going down for a few hours a week. During the periods of time when it's down, none of the forums that it hosts (including IDB) are reachable. Yesterday's downtime was the longest downtime since IDB was created, and it was...painful to say the least.

We wanted to let you all know that we're working toward moving to a new host sometime soon, which should resolve these issues. We'll keep you posted on any new developments regarding that, and we ask that you please bear with us in the meantime!

Also, if you want to remain informed during times when it's not working, IDB has a twitter, @indepthbants. During downtimes, we try to keep people updated there about the forum's status (though tbh we almost never know any specifics since the issues are not on our end).

In summary, sorry for the inconvenience, we're working on changing hosts sometime in the future, thanks for your patience, and we're very glad to be back today!
busy being happy~
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

ironic wrote:Rant:
Dan: makes an ambiguous tweet OR Phil: doesn't get enough praise for his video
People: omg poor baby I hope he's okay let's overflow him with our love

Someone: that one thing Dan does makes me feel triggered and/or mocked, I wish he would act somewhat different
People: omg you're so sensitive not everything is problematic learn to take a joke smh kids these days

Fascinating.

Dan is allowed to joke about his life in any way he wants to, everybody is, however 1) there's time and place for every joke 2) every action has consequences and people feeling uncomfortable is just one of them. I'm sure it's neither Dan's nor those teens' intention to mock serious issues and it might be ridiculous for you that someone gets that reaction but it doesn't make their feelings any less real and valid, you know.

And yeah I also feel kind of mocked when I look at this guy dramatically falling on bed, acting like his overthinking is making him unable to stay in vertical position. And I feel even worse looking at a group of people recreating his joke. I never saw a healthy person that reacts to their problems by laying motionless on the floor for several hours (no, I don't mean taking a nap or just relaxing) but I've seen ill people in this horrible state, I've been there, and it's something I strongly associate with mental health problems. Can you see where I come from?

I would never write a tweet like that because (aside from the fact it's written rather poorly) my knee-jerk reaction when something is making me feel bad is to gtfo instead of waiting for a change from a person that doesn't give a shit (and maybe good for him) BUT I support people trying to get their voice heard. I don't even think he needs to change though it would be rather nice to get an explanation from Dan why he keeps making that joke (because apart from the people that are hurt/offended, there is also a bunch of people that worry about him.)

Some of you also made some points that I agree with, but I wanted to show a different perspective. I don't expect everybody to look at it the same way, we all have different experiences and a different sense of humour, I get it. HOWEVER, it would be amazing if people were more empathetic and tried to understand other human's point of view instead of mocking them even more because that's just cruel.
Now that I established my position as your local oversensitive weirdo :roll: I'm going to shut up and wait (im)patiently until they upload something.
That picture Phil tweeted is scary af.
I completely agree with this. I know he's always joked about it and yes, it probably was initially some sort of coping mechanism. But doing the same fall-on-his-face act every time something mildly "deep" comes up is getting repetitive and stupid and it really does feel like he's mocking it.

edit: Thanks for keeping us updated oqua
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Lain wrote:
missemma wrote: Why did they just announce a brand new show with only 2 weeks to go. Surely they realised when they added shows in the UK last minute which didn't sell well, and the Vegas show which is only half sold that it wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe it'll be different in Hollywood but surely people will find it hard to find money so close. Also, they're filming this one? What about the filming they did in London?
I really hope those tickets sell for the sake of the DVD. It would be a shame if the venue wasn't filled to capacity, or at least close to.
Maybe he said they were recording it as a way to motivate fans to buy ("yay i'm sooo going to be in the final video") when in fact it's not the first time they'd be recording in this US tour. I remember they recorded in NY and in some other venue, because there was a fan tweeted she was interviewed for the video.

And about TATINOF truly being worldwide: am I the only one who thinks it's not really worth it, in economic terms? How much of their fanbase is actually outside the UK and the USA? and well, it's not that we're going to watch them traveling around India or the Philippines, seeing their overall interaction with the part of their audience who didn't get M&G in the USA tour is close to none.

Thanks for the update oqua
gnostic
stress mushroom

Ticia wrote:
Lain wrote:
missemma wrote: Why did they just announce a brand new show with only 2 weeks to go. Surely they realised when they added shows in the UK last minute which didn't sell well, and the Vegas show which is only half sold that it wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe it'll be different in Hollywood but surely people will find it hard to find money so close. Also, they're filming this one? What about the filming they did in London?
I really hope those tickets sell for the sake of the DVD. It would be a shame if the venue wasn't filled to capacity, or at least close to.
Maybe he said they were recording it as a way to motivate fans to buy ("yay i'm sooo going to be in the final video") when in fact it's not the first time they'd be recording in this US tour. I remember they recorded in NY and in some other venue, because there was a fan tweeted she was interviewed for the video.

And about TATINOF truly being worldwide: am I the only one who thinks it's not really worth it, in economic terms? How much of their fanbase is actually outside the UK and the USA? and well, it's not that we're going to watch them traveling around India or the Philippines, seeing their overall interaction with the part of their audience who didn't get M&G in the USA tour is close to none.

I think Europe if viable provided they run proper marketing tests beforehand. Australia? I can see them dropping a few shows, not carting the entire country / coast. Ditto China.

But a general Asian/Oceanian tour? Methinks not. Too much land to cover for a few hubs with enough English speaking fans, and a much more conservative older generatiom which might not welcome two men part of whose shtick and actual show is an implied homosexual relationship
Just here for the marketing skills
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

Ticia wrote:
Lain wrote:

Even if I want them to visit my country I also don't see the point of them doing a show somewhere that doesn't speak english as their official tongue. It just isn't practical. They might go to australia but I think that's it.
edit: I think like that too, gnostic!

ps: Thanks oqua!
kooshka
living flop

LurkingTrash wrote:
Even if I want them to visit my country I also don't see the point of them doing a show somewhere that doesn't speak english as their official tongue. It just isn't practical. They might go to australia but I think that's it.
I still don't understand this. Like I get that some countries are worse when it comes to general understanding of English but if there's a large enough audience that watches their vids they will understand the show. Idk I just get personally offended since I'm from a nordic country and here everyone speaks English like, really well even if it's not an official language :D (my country would be impossible bc no one lives here but otherwise the language thing would not be an issue).
violet-writer
living flop

Very offtopic, but I'm having a moral issue regarding fanfiction I wrote, that was kinda sparked by the existential crisis is problematic topic.
I wrote a fanfiction, where Dan has an existential crisis (not like lying on the floor, just the emotional bits of it), honestly I just based it off of how I've felt when my brain was in an especially bad mood. Even the title was more personal to me than I intended. I feel so weird about it now. I feel like I should take it down despite its relative success, because like... DnP are real people and Dan is specific has actually struggled with it, and to write about it, just feels kinda wrong, now. Idk. I never 'shipped' two real life people before, and now I'm just confused. Any opinions are welcome, thanks for reading .
when you first saw her-beauty, the dream- the human vortex of your life- or him - did you stop, and stand in the crisp air, breathing like a tree? did you change your life?

~ mary oliver
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

kooshka wrote:
LurkingTrash wrote:
I still don't understand this. Like I get that some countries are worse when it comes to general understanding of English but if there's a large enough audience that watches their vids they will understand the show. Idk I just get personally offended since I'm from a nordic country and here everyone speaks English like, really well even if it's not an official language :D (my country would be impossible bc no one lives here but otherwise the language thing would not be an issue).
The thing is, is there a large audience outside UK/USA that actively watch and like Dan and Phil (or any other English-speaking Youtuber, for that matter) enough to travel and pay to see them in real life? I don't think so .

In my opinion and from a geographic perspective, the only countries that may be worthwhile for them are The Netherlands and Italy.

EDIT: So close yet so far :cry: 999,154 subscribers in lessamazingphil. How convenient, he's going to reach 1M on Dan's birthday. http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/lessamazingphil
gnostic
stress mushroom

kooshka wrote:
LurkingTrash wrote:
There is a really really big difference between the standards of English taught and spoken in western europe and elsewhere. Even if China / S.Korea made a lot of progress in recent years, still in my experience most teens wouldn't be proficient enough to understand the show, and much more so their parents. Also, a lot of fans watch with subtitles

Meanwhile, I am here to represent Russia&CIS: no one even thinks Dan and Phil would ever visit us, and with good goddamn reason! :D
Just here for the marketing skills
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm really doubting a full Asia tour as well. There's no way they have a big enough audience in most of those countries as the language barrier is too much of a problem. In a big part of Europe, English is spoken as an (unoffical) second language and schools teach it at fairly high level. But with the exception of some countries (like the Phillippines and Singapore) and individuals who studied beyond what is taught in the standard school curriculum, Asia has a very low amount of English speakers who are fluent enough to even be able to follow D&P's videos. I know there are people who sub the videos in other languages, but stage shows do not have subs and even then their audience there is smaller than in the US and Europe. Definitely not big enough for a stage show like TATINOF imo.

In TABINOF, on the AmazingPhil Video Trivia pages there is a list of countries who watch AP the most (I assume DINOF's are similar). The only Asian country listed is Singapore, the rest is a few European countries, AUS/NZ, Canada, USA and (obviously) the UK. I definitely see them doing Europe and Oceania, but if they're going to Asia it's going to be Singapore and the Philippines only I think. Dunno about South America. And I don't see any African or Arab countries happen either.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

i don't know about europe or SEA, where i think english is probably more prevalent (?) but there definitely wont be another full scale continent tour. i imagine the size of the uk tour but spread massively across some countries they havent covered and taking a month+. singapore + philippines + aus + italy + a few others. hong kong?

definitely cant see a tour in japan or s.korea though. english seems quite common, especially in korea, because a lot of celebrities can speak basic english, but for the average person it isnt really like that. still, its more common among, like, 14-22 year olds, so they could still have a decent fanbase. if anyone has better korean than my pathetic attempts (sorry halmoni ) they could try searching pann nate for a fanbase. i've seen them used as reaction gifs on korean sites, though. i wouldnt even know whether to search in hangul or not
but proper fandom culture in both countries is soooo different that idk if it could transfer well. obviously casual fans are the same, but real intense fandoms are very different. besides, different countries have varying opinions on foreign media, unless it's from someone incredibly talented. it doesnt mean a big backlash, but a lot just wouldnt be that interested.

still, the gaijin population in tokyo or osaka + japanese fans may fill a smallish theater. is it worth the expense of getting a whole crew + set overseas?
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag: