Dan & Phil Part 15: F*ck Your Best Friend Day

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

Please continue here :)

:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
DryCereal
koi pond

Reported and blocked.

IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
corn flakes
moon room

Never knew about the film,
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
SquishPhan
capita£ester

corn flakes wrote:Never knew about the film,
Me either. #fakephan. :lol:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

"Reduced in Poundland"

I've hunted down and watched various random films for snippets of obscure actors I've loved, I've been quite restrained not buying that one.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

cora808 wrote:An entire new round of tickets available and I just spent all my money on bills.
Life, you savage af.
Why did they just announce a brand new show with only 2 weeks to go. Surely they realised when they added shows in the UK last minute which didn't sell well, and the Vegas show which is only half sold that it wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe it'll be different in Hollywood but surely people will find it hard to find money so close. Also, they're filming this one? What about the filming they did in London?

Also with Dans tweet about Australia - does that mean they won't release a DVD of the tour until after they've done Europe, Asia and Aus? I knew they would go to Australia and Asia because they said they were planning to do so at the iTunes interview they did. They really are doing a world tour.
IckleMissMayhem wrote: then.... Well, probably Spooky Week. :roll:
So true

Also, just seen this on Twitter and thought it would be interesting to discuss. What are people's thoughts on this: i linked to her account as she says she wants him to see it
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

missemma wrote:
cora808 wrote:An entire new round of tickets available and I just spent all my money on bills.
Life, you savage af.
Why did they just announce a brand new show with only 2 weeks to go. Surely they realised when they added shows in the UK last minute which didn't sell well, and the Vegas show which is only half sold that it wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe it'll be different in Hollywood but surely people will find it hard to find money so close. Also, they're filming this one? What about the filming they did in London?

Also with Dans tweet about Australia - does that mean they won't release a DVD of the tour until after they've done Europe, Asia and Aus? I knew they would go to Australia and Asia because they said they were planning to do so at the iTunes interview they did. They really are doing a world tour.
I don’t really understand this either, just doesn’t seem like the smartest choice.

About the DVD of the tour, we are apparently going to find out "soon". Thanks for this great tweet Dan...
corn flakes
moon room

second try:

I didn't really thought they would go to aus and australia.why not south america?
As for eu. I will skin them if they don't release ALL dates at once, please

Also, maybe they are recording this show but it will go with the one in London and others in the dvd?
Like ,I'm a scrooge but if they give me the dvd before I will not pay to see the show
chloek88
spork

It's so strange that they'd film the show that they just announced, considering it may not be a full crowd. So many of their shows have totally sold out, it'd be a shame if the one filmed was in front of an only partially-full theatre.

Jfc, this tour really is endless... I'm somewhat happy and excited for them to get the whole world tour experience, but also frustrated. D&p visiting places like China or Australia would be great for snippets of sightseeing and new experiences, but as we've learned, when under pressure they share little to nothing with us...

Also, regarding the existential crisis thing, I can see why people would be upset at the cheapening/memeifying of the subject, since questioning one's own meaning/purpose can certainly be a catalyst for what turns into a serious depression. So I'm glad that Twitter user spoke up. I doubt Dan will actually respond though, unfortunately. (I'm also just so mortified and overwhelmed with cringe by the pics of all those kids lying on the ground at tatinof. I think we're all in full agreement that it is time to End that piece of branding, Dan. (Not that he will at least until the world tour is over since it features in the show.))
Lain
eclipse shirt

missemma wrote: Why did they just announce a brand new show with only 2 weeks to go. Surely they realised when they added shows in the UK last minute which didn't sell well, and the Vegas show which is only half sold that it wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe it'll be different in Hollywood but surely people will find it hard to find money so close. Also, they're filming this one? What about the filming they did in London?
I really hope those tickets sell for the sake of the DVD. It would be a shame if the venue wasn't filled to capacity, or at least close to.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

missemma wrote: Also, just seen this on Twitter and thought it would be interesting to discuss. What are people's thoughts on this: i linked to her account as she says she wants him to see it
I'm cringing so hard because this person apparently does not know that the plural form of crisis is ''crises.'' If you're going to write a paragraph about a serious issue directed at Dan, I don't understand why you wouldn't think to double-check your grammar.

I also don't agree with this person. I'm all about joking about mental health and other serious issues if its something that you've gone through yourself, because it's a good coping mechanism. I don't think that Dan joking about it necessarily undermines how serious it is. It's not his fault that his immature audience don't understand that there's a time and a place to joke about stuff like that (and turning it into a meme is just....no.)
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

Stop talking about existential crisis, it's making a mockery of real life struggles
Stop talking about awkwardness, it's making a mockery of social anxiety
Stop talking about attractive guys, it's queer baiting
Stop talking about food, it's triggering people with eating disorders
Stop talking about countries you like, it's fetishizing other cultures
Stop talking about being a night owl, it's mocking those with sleep disorders
Stop talking about video games because spoilers
Stop talking about drinking Ribena because some people don't have clean drinking water
Stop talking about....
Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about

Next on Dan & Phil!

"Hello internet..."

SOME PEOPLE DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH, THAT'S ETHNIC SHAMING AND EXCLUDING YOUR FOREIGN FANS, YOU'RE SO PROBLEMATIC GOSSSHHHH.

:gg: :gg: :gg:

hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

maybe they're splicing the london show into the dvd and are hoping this second LA show will be a little quieter (or at least less screamy) for the sake of show footage?
coffee pig
woodland creature

cora808 wrote:Stop talking about existential crisis, it's making a mockery of real life struggles
Stop talking about drinking Ribena because some people don't have clean drinking water
Stop talking about....
Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about Stop talking about

Next on Dan & Phil!

"Hello internet..."

SOME PEOPLE DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH, THAT'S ETHNIC SHAMING AND EXCLUDING YOUR FOREIGN FANS, YOU'RE SO PROBLEMATIC GOSSSHHHH.

Basically. I don't remember when everything became ''problematic'' but it's kind of irritating.
ironic
lady door

missemma wrote: Also, just seen this on Twitter and thought it would be interesting to discuss. What are people's thoughts on this: i linked to her account as she says she wants him to see it
It was related to the fact that Dan and Phil liked those tweets (I wrote about it before):
I agree with the general thought. I expressed my disgust with the existential crisis thing before and I'm sure for some of you I may look like I'm really butthurt but honestly, as a person suffering from depression & anxiety that literally makes me lay in bed or even on the floor for way too many hours a day, not being able to do anything, wishing I was dead, I find this particular joke really distasteful.

I agree with bedhead91 that joking about problems might be a coping mechanism. Though in recent videos of D&P the existential crisis thing seems to be just a part of Dan's brand, a meaningless expression just for the lolz and that really rubs me the wrong way. But I know it's a very subjective reaction. I don't hestitate to say it makes me very uncomfortable but on the other hand I don't hold it against him because I can understand.

BUT the fact they approve of their fans doing a whole spectacle of having an existential crisis is another thing, and that's why I mostly agree with the author of that tweet, missemma.

I'm sure I didn't express what I meant as well as I'd like to but I'm gonna stop writing now 'cause from what I see I won't get much understanding here anyway, so... Yeah.
Last edited by ironic on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
corn flakes
moon room

bedhead91 wrote:
cora808 wrote:Stop talking about existential crisis, it's making a mockery of real life struggles
Stop talking about....

Next on Dan & Phil!

"Hello internet..."

Basically. I don't remember when everything became ''problematic'' but it's kind of irritating.

Winston
flower crown

Stop talking about....

Next on Dan & Phil!

"Hello internet..."

actions speak louder than words
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

... i mean there are some things they should 200% stop encouraging as a phandom branding meme. things being called problematic may be irritating for you, but for some of us the behaviours they encourage are what make our lives more difficult. i'll take "irritating" over that any day. :roll: :roll:
it's not a case of things suddenly becoming problematic, we now just have a wider platform to say "hey, stop being an asshole please" after far longer of being openly mocked and having to accept it as those opinions of minorities become the norm

but this isn't.. really... that? it's joking about a thing he actually does. he admits it's pseudo-intellectual thinking around his own life, specifically his time at uni and the start of his proper career. it's pretty obviously something that was once very real for him, and personally referencing your worst points in a "haha, what was i like" kind of way makes you feel better about any progress. i'd rather him make a little joke out of what could (and apparently does, to some of you) come off as a sign or narcissism or pretentiousness. it seems more self aware in a "oh there i go again, stressing out over basic life facts" kind of way.

if fans are ridiculous enough to lie down on a dirty carpet in large groups for some retweets then i think the problem is beyond dan and more an issue of them. however, i joke about my own mental health and damaging behaviours and stuff and that's fine, but i also don't have a large audience like that, so idk. basically, usually it wouldn't be a problem, because most people aren't dan and don't have that audience, i guess?
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hiddenwombat wrote:maybe they're splicing the london show into the dvd and are hoping this second LA show will be a little quieter (or at least less screamy) for the sake of show footage?
I sort of think you're onto something there, I'm guessing that they're filming both LA shows like they did both London shows (right?) which means they get two 'takes' for each show. If they only have one Dolby show and they fuck something up they'd be stuck with it.
coffee pig
woodland creature

jaej wrote:... i mean there are some things they should 200% stop encouraging as a phandom branding meme. things being called problematic may be irritating for you, but for some of us the behaviours they encourage are what make our lives more difficult. i'll take "irritating" over that any day. :roll: :roll:
it's not a case of things suddenly becoming problematic, we now just have a wider platform to say "hey, stop being an asshole please" after far longer of being openly mocked and having to accept it as those opinions of minorities become the norm
Don't get me wrong, I am completely for calling people out that deserve to be called out. I think it's great that people are becoming more self-aware of their own racism/sexism/homophobia. I just don't see the point in nitpicking at celebrities for every off-color joke they make, when you could be addressing people that truly exhibit consistent problematic behavior. I see people being labelled ''problematic trash'' all the time for remarks they made five years ago or quotes taken from them out of context. I think all of this has just made a mockery out of activism and has turned the word ''problematic'' itself into a joke, which bothers me.
Winston
flower crown

The thing that one has to remember is that the joke is part of Dan’s lexicon, and these kids who decided to lay on the ground are not mocking actual mental illness but referencing something that to them is a symbol of one of their idols. If you were a random person who knew nothing of Dan etc, and saw that picture it would just be a bunch of people laying on the floor. Not a bunch of people mocking people with a mental disorder. Dan references it enough and brings light to his problem enough that it makes sense that they chose that to do to show their appreciation (kind of, I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't print out a sign or anything else...but that is besides the point). I am fairly certain that Dan doesn’t seriously mock people mental illness and I am sure he wouldn't condone anyone else doing it. They probably liked the tweet merely because it referenced them, and their fans showing appreciation and humor towards them.

And core808 post about everyone being so sensitive I agree with. There is a line at which people should “watch” their actions, but nowadays people seem to be taking P.C. to a whole new level to where anything anyone says could be found offensive. Whether it was intended to be, or not. This post for example may offend some people for whatever reason, but my intent in writing it was the exact opposite of trying to be offensive. I am trying to help…and may not be meeting my aim but I wanted to try.
actions speak louder than words
blueapple_x
flower crown

hiddenwombat wrote:maybe they're splicing the london show into the dvd and are hoping this second LA show will be a little quieter (or at least less screamy) for the sake of show footage?
That's possible I suppose. I just figured they'd film both the afternoon and night show in LA (like how they did with London) and pick the better one to put on dvd (or put both, who knows ). As far as I know, they've only filmed London and will be filming LA...I guess those cities' names will attract more attention when selling the dvd since they're the typical "glamorous/popular celeb" locations. I won't be surprised that if they go to France, they'll only film a Paris show lol.

Anywho, I'm all for using dark humour as a coping mechanism to your problems. I think it takes a strong type of person to do that. However, I will admit it's a bit of a tricky situation in this case because Dan's audience is primarily a bunch of teens. It's different with comedians who drop harsh jokes because they typically cater to adult audiences. I don't necessarily think it's Dan's responsibility to parent his impressionable audience like that though. Maybe it would be nice in some cases, but I personally don't think it's his responsibility to. Of course, if he were using his influence to actively spew hateful things, that's obviously a different story.

Existential crises may sometimes go hand-in-hand with depression, anxiety, etc. but it doesn't always come as a package deal, right? I don't think it's such a taboo thing for a person going through that to poke fun at themself. Insomnia is sometimes associated with depression but not always. Would it be equally insensitive for a person to make fun of their own insomnia and for others to relate/see the humour in it? Maybe I'm giving his audience too much credit but I would think/hope they'd take a person seriously if they were clearly struggling with an actual existential crisis--whether or not it was linked to some other condition. With all that said, imo it wasn't the brightest idea for those people to lay on the dirty floor blocking up exits just for the attention of D+P. Luckily nobody seemed to get hurt but this will only encourage more cringeybehaviour like this.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

This scares me a bit.
Poe
rainbow nerd

SquishPhan wrote: This scares me a bit.
This was the first thing I saw when I woke up today and honestly? This scared the shit out of me. I still regret opening the notification :sideeye:
corn flakes
moon room

It's quite scary that picture. :

As for deppy and politics: Also blueapple_x and everyone that expressed the same better than I could.