Dan & Phil Part 16: Old, Hungover, and Probably High

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Pronouns: she/her

The end is in sight.

Pray for them.
busy being happy~
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

SquishPhan wrote:
jaej wrote:arenanet are the creators of guild wars, if im right? seems like a solo dan activity, you dont want someone disinterested hanging around when youre really into something
I'm pretty sure that they are.
And yes Phil would probably have been bored there, since it's not really his thing. Besides it might do them some good to get away from each other for a bit, it certainly can't hurt.
Lester brothers can be left alone to do some numbers crunching too ;) since Martyn is back in US.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

sweetmm wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
jaej wrote:arenanet are the creators of guild wars, if im right? seems like a solo dan activity, you dont want someone disinterested hanging around when youre really into something
I'm pretty sure that they are.
And yes Phil would probably have been bored there, since it's not really his thing. Besides it might do them some good to get away from each other for a bit, it certainly can't hurt.
Lester brothers can be left alone to do some numbers crunching too ;) since Martyn is back in US.
Indeed. ;)

Those pics in the first post are just so bad. :lol:
NoOneWantsATortoise
squish

Re: Entertainment Weekly
Diyes_Celine wrote: Hopefully someone can upload the whole article.
Winston wrote: I would like to see the whole article as well.
As far as the actual physical copy of EW goes, the pic updatedphan has is the whole article. ;)
starlight-still
truth bomb

sweetmm wrote:Lester brothers can be left alone to do some numbers crunching too ;) since Martyn is back in US.
Phil rn:
Winston
flower crown

NoOneWantsATortoise wrote:Re: Entertainment Weekly
Diyes_Celine wrote: Hopefully someone can upload the whole article.
Winston wrote: I would like to see the whole article as well.
As far as the actual physical copy of EW goes, the pic updatedphan has is the whole article. ;)
Oh. Haha. BTW I love your name. Made me smile. (And Crack the face mask I am currently rocking) :)
actions speak louder than words
angrymob
hobbit hair

I, for one, am glad that they're having time apart. Breathe separate air for once, please. :roll:

I always forget Dan is into Guild Wars. I don't even care for Guild Wars much, but I wish he'd include that into his brand, maybe then he'd be up for making more videos that are a bit less forced topic-wise.
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

angrymob wrote:I, for one, am glad that they're having time apart. Breathe separate air for once, please. :roll:

I always forget Dan is into Guild Wars. I don't even care for Guild Wars much, but I wish he'd include that into his brand, maybe then he'd be up for making more videos that are a bit less forced topic-wise.
really? i feel like he brings up his "limited edition GUILD WARS 2 CLOTH, coz [he's] a MASSIVE NERD" fairly often?
fancy_nancy
phabergé

[offtopic]this is so offtopic but we don't have a lot of content to discuss do we? :lol: i've been watching all the Roast Yourself Challenge videos and I thought how hilarious would it be if did one? and I don't mean "Dans usual haha i'm so lame self deprecating humor" I mean if they properly went for it, it could be the funniest thing. I don't think it's going to happen but i'd love it.[/offtopic]
colfreckles
drama llama

fancy_nancy wrote:
[offtopic]this is so offtopic but we don't have a lot of content to discuss do we? :lol: i've been watching all the Roast Yourself Challenge videos and I thought how hilarious would it be if did one? and I don't mean "Dans usual haha i'm so lame self deprecating humor" I mean if they properly went for it, it could be the funniest thing. I don't think it's going to happen but i'd love it.[/offtopic]
That would be AH-MAZ-ING. I've only seen Grace's and Jenna's, but they were both great.
angrymob
hobbit hair

hiddenwombat wrote:
angrymob wrote:I, for one, am glad that they're having time apart. Breathe separate air for once, please. :roll:

really? i feel like he brings up his "limited edition GUILD WARS 2 CLOTH, coz [he's] a MASSIVE NERD" fairly often?
Really? I thought that was only like once. Maybe he does and I just haven't noticed under all the doges and anime he mentions instead.

I don't know why I'm so bitter today, I'll stop.
Rigby
lady door

[offtopic]So... I had another weird dream about . Bear with me 'cause it's a long one.
So I was walking down the street, I'm not sure if this was in my hometown or somewhere else. I looked at a table at some restaurant and Phil was there having lunch with who my brain told me was someone from the TATINOF crew (she had multicoloured hair). I didn't want to interrupt so I didn't approach them or anything, and besides I had heard Phil complaining about there being fans everywhere lol.
After they finished having lunch, they left to go to a house and I was with them (but I wasn't stalking them or anything? Like in the dream it made sense and I was part of the group). We get to the house and they let me in and I say "I hope I'm not bothering anyone" and Phil says "Nah, it's fine".
When I get it it was a regular house, but there were some fans in the living room. One of them was this tall, muscular guy, not the kind of deppy fan you see everyday lol.
So I go to the balcony and I find Dan. We started chatting and he had a watch that you could use to play games so we played with it. Then we went to the living room and Dan and Phil started playing with the Playstation, and the big guy was sitting next to them playing a keyboard, but like one of those that are for kids. He didn't know how to use it and I kept telling him what he had to do but he didn't believe me so he couldn't make it work. Then Phil grabbed the keyboard and started playing with it furiously lol so I kept staring at him. Then I looked up and Dan was staring at me staring at Phil, and when he saw me looking up he did this little eyebrow raise like he was saying "he's cute, right?"
After that I don't remember clearly, but suddenly we were in a backyard like we had back at my old house. Someone was getting married and I had asked Dan to say a few words as a favour. Before that I had asked him for a pic and he had said "hang on a minute", so I waited and then he said "omg I got you a gift for being so patient" and he told me he had bought the gift with some money he had raised?? Turns out it was a solar-powered light bulb, one that looked exactly like one we had found with my dad in the backyard and when we found it we joked it was alien technology (this actually happened, us finding that lamp, which I now found out was actually part of a garden lamp).
So Dan and I took a picture with the light bulb and he gave a great speech and everyone was really happy, but he got embarrassed and ran away. I ran after him, telling him it was okay, and I caught up with him at the balcony of the house where we were at the beginning of the dream... and that's all I remember.
[/offtopic]
Last edited by Rigby on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueapple_x
flower crown

Rigby wrote:[offtopic]So... I had another weird dream about . Bear with me 'cause it's a long one.
So I was walking down the street, I'm not sure if this was in my hometown or somewhere else. I looked at a table at some restaurant and Phil was there having lunch with who my brain told me was someone from the TATINOF crew (she had multicoloured hair). I didn't want to interrupt so I didn't approach them or anything, and besides I had heard Phil complaining about there being fans everywhere lol.
After they finished having lunch, they left to go to a house and I was with them (but I wasn't stalking them or anything? Like in the dream it made sense and I was part of the group). We get to the house and they let me in and I say "I hope I'm not bothering anyone" and Phil says "Nah, it's fine".
When I get it it was a regular house, but there were some fans in the living room. One of them was this tall, muscular guy, not the kind of deppy fan you see everyday lol.
So I go to the balcony and I find Dan. We started chatting and he had a watch that you could use to play games so we played with it. Then we went to the living room and Dan and Phil started playing with the Playstation, and the big guy was sitting next to them playing a keyboard, but like one of those that are for kids. He didn't know how to use it and I kept telling him what he had to do but he didn't believe me so he couldn't make it work. Then Phil grabbed the keyboard and started playing with it furiously lol so I kept staring at him. Then I looked up and Dan was staring at me staring at Phil, and when he saq me looking up he did this little eyebrow raise like he was saying "he's cute, right?"
After that I don't remember clearly, but suddenly we were in a backyard like we had back at my old house. Someone was getting married and I had asked Dan to say a few words as a favour. Before that I had asked him for a pic and he had said "hang on a minute", so I waited and then he said "omg I got you a gift for being so patient" and he told me he had bought the gift with some money he had raised?? Turns out it was a solar-powered light bulb, one that looked exactly like one we had found with my dad in the backyard and when we found it we joked it was alien technology (this actually happened, us finding that lamp, which I now found out was actually part of a garden lamp).
So Dan and I took a picture with the light bulb and he gave a great speech and everyone was really happy, but he got embarrassed and ran away. I ran after him, telling him it was okay, and I caught up with him at the balcony of the house where we were at the beginning of the dream... and that's all I remember.
[/offtopic]
:lol:

Btw is it just me or has Phil's "likes" on twitter decreased?
apathy
sad dimple

angrymob wrote:
hiddenwombat wrote:

Really? I thought that was only like once. Maybe he does and I just haven't noticed under all the doges and anime he mentions instead.

I don't know why I'm so bitter today, I'll stop.
I've had the impression that GW2 is something Dan genuinely enjoys for himself and purposely keeps out of his branding so it isn't ruined for him by being memed and repeated in tweets and tumblr posts and fanfiction until it's sickening, like everything else he dares to mention more than twice.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

Rigby wrote:[offtopic]So... I had another weird dream about . Bear with me 'cause it's a long one.
So I go to the balcony and I find Dan. We started chatting and he had a watch that you could use to play games so we played with it. Then we went to the living room and Dan and Phil started playing with the Playstation, and the big guy was sitting next to them playing a keyboard, but like one of those that are for kids. He didn't know how to use it and I kept telling him what he had to do but he didn't believe me so he couldn't make it work. Then Phil grabbed the keyboard and started playing with it furiously lol so I kept staring at him. Then I looked up and Dan was staring at me staring at Phil, and when he saw me looking up he did this little eyebrow raise like he was saying "he's cute, right?"
[/offtopic]
[offtopic]I'm glad you talked about dreams because I had a dream last night and I didn't want to start this subject from nothig :lol:
Alright, so this is the second night in a row that I have a dream about them, I blame my late nights reading IDB to it:
The first night it was my usual "see them at a street holding hands and spend the whole dream wondering if I should say hi".
But last night was a very strange dream because it had only Dan in it (strange bc Phil is forever my #1 bae lol) and it was a live show (from his sofa-crease in london) where Dan came out as bi so nonchalantly that everyone only noticed after the live show ended. Context: he was talking about a book he didn't like and he didn't feel rightfully represented as a bisexual person in it bc the character that was bi was an asshole
[/offtopic]
edit: I feel like so many people here have dreams about them that we should have a topic to share them lol
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

LurkingTrash wrote:
[/offtopic]
[offtopic]I'm glad you talked about dreams because I had a dream last night and I didn't want to start this subject from nothig :lol:
Alright, so this is the second night in a row that I have a dream about them, I blame my late nights reading IDB to it:
The first night it was my usual "see them at a street holding hands and spend the whole dream wondering if I should say hi".
But last night was a very strange dream because it had only Dan in it (strange bc Phil is forever my #1 bae lol) and it was a live show (from his sofa-crease in london) where Dan came out as bi so nonchalantly that everyone only noticed after the live show ended. Context: he was talking about a book he didn't like and he didn't feel rightfully represented as a bisexual person in it bc the character that was bi was an asshole
[/offtopic]
edit: I feel like so many people here have dreams about them that we should have a topic to share them lol
[offtopic]
Much more realistic than all those " say phan is real by making a video about it" phanfics
and go for it! I never have any of my own because my dreams are always really mundane and filled with everyday worries (late for school, forgot to pack, missed out on tickets, watched a movie, etc), but I love reading other people's dreams [/offtopic]
Winston
flower crown

I love reading about all the dreams you guys have! I haven't had a deppy dream yet. Mine are weird most of the time, (and always ALWAYS) have Tom Hanks in it somewhere ever since I was a kid. I want a deppy dream and not one of my weird super vivid dreams. I am green with envy guys! Maybe we should have a dream thread? Or is there one and I haven't found/don't remember it? :)

I agree that it is good for them to have some space for a day. Hopefully they don't implode...

P.s. this place is dead. I want them to enjoy themselves, but give a tweet or something. I am bored on this Friday night. I want some entertainment! I don't even have any wine in the house! :cry:
actions speak louder than words
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

Winston wrote:I love reading about all the dreams you guys have! I haven't had a deppy dream yet. Mine are weird most of the time, (and always ALWAYS) have Tom Hanks in it somewhere ever since I was a kid. I want a deppy dream and not one of my weird super vivid dreams. I am green with envy guys! Maybe we should have a dream thread? Or is there one and I haven't found/don't remember it? :)

I agree that it is good for them to have some space for a day. Hopefully they don't implode...

P.s. this place is dead. I want them to enjoy themselves, but give a tweet or something. I am bored on this Friday night. I want some entertainment! I don't even have any wine in the house! :cry:
idk, every time that I figure out I've finally explored all of idb I suddenly find a thread I never heard before with quite a few pages
if anyone knows for sure there isn't one they should (if they want to) go ahead and make one, feel free to quote mine
pixlexia

I have dreams about them occasionally, but they're all very silly and nonsensical. Like last night (probably because I was struggling to hard to stay awake so that I could read Phil's "news" tweet as he posted it but ended up falling asleep regardless);
I had a dream where I was at a meet and greet with them, and Dan was wearing leather shorts, and I wanted to feel their material so I touched them but Dan squealed and got mad at me because I had apaz touched his butt.
... Maybe not the best dream to share, as it makes me sound like a totally creepy person. I promise you, this is not normal behavior. :lol:

I haven't posted much and would review some old topics, but I don't really ever have that much to say on them anyways, so hm. I'm in team #conflicted. I want the tour to be over so everything could be back to normal, but I'm also super happy for them.

Does anyone else have moments where they really think about how are basically being (somewhat) world travelers and doing all these touristy things and visiting all these monuments together, and it makes you kind of emotional and really happy? I've never felt more than I have been lately. :lol:
(insert a funny quote from the forum here)
PolarFox
truth bomb

Bringing back stuff from teh old topic, just because.
ironic wrote:
ostiral wrote: On the contrary, i am afraid of myself, because in exact moment, when they open sale and i will be able to buy tickets for show somewhere in Germany (Berlin, please) or in Poland (lol, yeah, a girl can dream or something) i will have two tickets. :lol:

Anyway, i like their tour. They're living the dream, they have a journey of their lives, they're happy, so i am happy for them. :) i am positive person
Glad to see someone from my country with a radically different approach than mine. :thumb:
They should just make a show somewhere on the Czech-Polish border, maybe that'd be profitable enough. But that's like... yeah. I have no dreams. :lol:
*wishful thinking* if they just did it on that borders, I wouldn't even have to go by 4 hour train to Prague, I'd just have to catch a intercity bus yes pls?
But I don't see that happening. Which is sad. They should do Poland or Czech or both stop though.

And by the way, don't we all know that Dan is a GW2 trash? He mentions it every so often... It might be me tho, because I play it occasionaly when I want to relax and indulge myself in beautiful worlds and live a life of a salad person.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
teamug

Article on RollingStone about social media particularly the downside.
Trigger Warning :
Christina Grimmie
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... e-20160617
Social media masquerades as a way to tangibly connect to strangers, to feel friendly with your favorite stars. The illusion is powerful, allows the public to demand that celebrities give up more of their inner lives, convinces us that we, as their fans, are owed this access. Privacy is suddenly a flexible term when selfies and Snapchats from home and private planes and VIP parties are the norm.
Celebs sign up for social media to stay relevant and increase their reach because they feel pressured to feed the rabid public's need for more information even when it feels like they’re discarding important boundaries. Now fans can demand attention in the form of mentions, follow requests and private messages – and while it's certainly possible many celebrities are gratified by the constant validation, it is also disturbing to consider that at some point the public decided that celebrities should be appreciative of our constant, frenzied attention. Because after all, we're the ones who make sure they get paid, right?
I had some opinions about deppy, but I've destroyed my lower back removing a washing machine, moving a new one in (love new appliances, just end up staring at them) and because I'm a masochist removing an old fridge, and am now in such pain can't do other than copy paste, so no opinons for now, typing hurts, but I wanted to share this in case anyone with more sense and ability has opinons.

Though a question, I am unfamiliar with the fandoms of other youtubers, is the phandom actually all that different, or is it some illusion/myth to make us special snowflakes? Sorry I've made this question sound strange, but I am sincerely curious.

Also, maybe having a late slot at the vidcon meet-up means they meet more older fans. Though this oldER wants her sleep at 10, so maybe it'll still all be young'uns.
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

teamug wrote: Though a question, I am unfamiliar with the fandoms of other youtubers, is the phandom actually all that different, or is it some illusion/myth to make us special snowflakes? Sorry I've made this question sound strange, but I am sincerely curious.
I used to watch some gleamers and their fans were just as enthusiastic in person at m&gs. I think the difference with the phandom is that we're much more connected and organized. It's much more a community with popular phanaccounts on all social media and phanartists get much more recognition, so there's more of them, too.
I think because of that, the enthusiastic part of the phandom is bigger than for other youtubers.

What all youtube fandoms have in common is their unwillingness to accept the celebrity status of youtubers and the need for the same boundaries we grant real celebs. Youtubers are certainly guilty of playing into that because it makes them a profit, but at the same time they almost have to, because they get so much shit when they demand appropriate treatment. For example how people even here laughed about deppy having security for the us tour, or even when youtubers buy big expensive houses. Just look at how much people hate that there are boundaries and green rooms at conventions, there's always people complaining about the popular youtubers hiding out there instead of mingling with their followers
[offtopic]This always bothers me about youtube fandoms. Youtubers are always expected to not be celebrities, but at the same time their fans treat them like celebrities (screaming and demanding selfies etc) and they are expected to behave like celebs, too (because if they act like real people, maybe being rude after taking 10 selfies with strangers on the street, they get shit for that).[/offtopic]
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Just catching up from the last thread:
I have been a big supporter of tatinof ever since seeing it in the UK. It's definitely a show worth watching if it's coming anywhere near you. You might think you're too old/will cringe/won't fit in but honestly the show isn't like that at all. Yes, there is screaming loud enough for people on the moon to hear it at times but the show is that good that I traveled from the UK to USA to see it and as soon as the European tour is announced I'll be going on a road trip to see it again, probably more than once.

Saying that though, I am also ready for the American leg to be over. The lack of content/tweets and specifically liveshows has made this last 2 months so long. I know they're busy and they've put a lot of effort into the show, I've seen that firsthand, but they should have pre-filmed. We are used to getting a radioshow once a month, mostly 2 liveshows a week, tweets and videos. The last 2 months have been so dry it's been unbearable. I've come to realise that the liveshows are what have kept me interested in D&P before, their uploading schedule was already pretty sketchy and this past 2 months and only getting 1 has made me just want the tour to be over and for them to get back to a bit of normality. I agree with the last few pages of the last thread that wishing something to be over, that is possibly the biggest thing in their career is really sad. I just hope for Aus and Europe and wherever else they go they might pre-record some footage/videos to replace the other stuff that just gets stopped to try and keep us entertained.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

wtfamidoinghere wrote:
teamug wrote: Though a question, I am unfamiliar with the fandoms of other youtubers, is the phandom actually all that different, or is it some illusion/myth to make us special snowflakes? Sorry I've made this question sound strange, but I am sincerely curious.
I used to watch some gleamers and their fans were just as enthusiastic in person at m&gs. I think the difference with the phandom is that we're much more connected and organized. It's much more a community with popular phanaccounts on all social media and phanartists get much more recognition, so there's more of them, too.
I think because of that, the enthusiastic part of the phandom is bigger than for other youtubers.
What all youtube fandoms have in common is their unwillingness to accept the celebrity status of youtubers and the need for the same boundaries we grant real celebs. Youtubers are certainly guilty of playing into that because it makes them a profit, but at the same time they almost have to, because they get so much shit when they demand appropriate treatment. For example how people even here laughed about deppy having security for the us tour, or even when youtubers buy big expensive houses. Just look at how much people hate that there are boundaries and green rooms at conventions, there's always people complaining about the popular youtubers hiding out there instead of mingling with their followers
[offtopic]This always bothers me about youtube fandoms. Youtubers are always expected to not be celebrities, but at the same time their fans treat them like celebrities (screaming and demanding selfies etc) and they are expected to behave like celebs, too (because if they act like real people, maybe being rude after taking 10 selfies with strangers on the street, they get shit for that).[/offtopic]
Agreed! Don't have much to add but that because of that organization and community connection the phandom also makes a huge impact by trying to be seen and heard everywhere they go, so it really looks real when people say 'the phandom is everywhere' and even if most find that annoying it's also a good way to attract new curious people and make themselves look bigger that they are (in presence instead of numbers). Also, I have to applaud our archivers because I haven't seen that amount of dedication and organization for saving information in any fandom I've been. (but D&P make that skill be needed way more than other famous people by deleting things, so...)
Also, I truly believe that attract such a diverse audience, from your usual white teenage girl to the LGBT community, (and might I add -both young and adult people from that community), adults (heck, they don't even have a church pastor that ships them?). Other youtubers like gleamers or youtubers that target the LGBT community specifically have a lesser diverse fanbase. I mean, not 'lesser diverse' because there is diversity but like, huge amounts of people from both sides? Versus lots from one side and a few from the rest? I really hope I'm making sense
But at the end of the day I truly believe in the power of the phandom as a community because it's that feeling of belonging that makes people really dig deeper into the trashcan, not that it doesn't happens elsewhere but it seems like it's much more easily done here, (a good example are the people holding on to them despite the lack of content because of the phandom) I can't even begin to look into that dynamics now, tho. it's late
Also, 100% agree with what you said about youtubersxcelebritiesxfanbases
DryCereal
koi pond

Good luck sleeping Philly.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted: