Dan & Phil Part 17: Open Wide for Captain Lester

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fkatwigs
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her

Damn, I for ages remembered watching this youtube video as like a 13 year old of some hot emo kid pulling down his pants but never watched anymore of his stuff only to figure out years later that it was Dan :facepalm: So annoyed I missed out following 2009-2010 dan and phil lmao (stupidly following other mysterious youtube couples instead like rwj and meekakitty )
angrymob
hobbit hair

phoenixfeather wrote:
i don't remember any other specific time I encountered them, I just knew of them generally and this specific incident I remember in detail because of reasons completely unrelated to D&P. This was sometime in mid-November 09 and the thing was that nobody was invested in them. Like maybe their lil fans but it wasn't a big thing. Their flirting was just so blatant that day that it kind of made everyone else... I don't want to say uncomfortable because that's not the right word, but it was like... what's going on? What's the joke? I'll tell you the actual details in a PM because this probably doesn't make sense but I don't feel comfortable putting it on the main thread bc it's incredibly specific. :?
This makes me think that there was a second chat thingy around that time where they addressed whether they were dating with a wishy washy answer, because the one I was thinking of was definitely not in November. It was the first time I had heard someone talk about them being together though, so it must of been rather early on. What I'd give for a time machine or a better memory now.
karma_yeah
philussy

[offtopic]
Please keep the people of Bangladesh in your thoughts during this very difficult time.
[/offtopic]
What goes around, comes around Image
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

i first discovered their existence in late 2010, and i don't know if by then they have gotten their shit together (what i would give for the 2010 phan timeline to be completed) and were a lot more subtle with their social media interactions already but i remember doing a quick research and not finding out anything interesting (and i didn't really think they were anything other than friends just from watching their videos back then), and then i proceeded to forget about them and randomly check out their channels once every few months when i was bored (didn't have a yt account back then i didn't get the point of subscribing lol) i want to kick myself when i think about it, you idiot 2010!me pay more attention you're gonna care in 6 years!!! :lol:
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

I'm not sure I find this utterly embarrassing or funny, but kudos to Phil for thinking fast and somehow it does give an insight to how he feels he is to Dan (maybe not just in youtube but also in life as general). He was beside Dan throughout his teenage to adult transition period.
fancy_nancy wrote:
whaaaaaaat? why haven't I seen this before? who even thought to ask that? hahaha :lol: so many questions, so much second hand embarassment :shock:
sweetmm
angel bean

Thank goodness for other channels
uglyamerican
woodland creature

sweetmm wrote:I'm not sure I find this utterly embarrassing or funny, but kudos to Phil for thinking fast and somehow it does give an insight to how he feels he is to Dan (maybe not just in youtube but also in life as general). He was beside Dan throughout his teenage to adult transition period.
fancy_nancy wrote:
whaaaaaaat? why haven't I seen this before? who even thought to ask that? hahaha :lol: so many questions, so much second hand embarassment :shock:
Actually, I've been thinking about this for a while. Maybe Phil became a supportive outlet for Dan to express himself - maybe through Phil Dan was able to find a mentor, someone to encourage risk-taking (not to follow a middle-class uplifting career path in law,) someone who could teach him technical skills, someone to help him find a voice, and maybe an ally who could help the senpai fulfill his destiny goals.... IDK... Anyway, I think they work well as a team.
Last edited by uglyamerican on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

karma_yeah wrote:[offtopic]
Please keep the people of Bangladesh in your thoughts during this very difficult time.
[/offtopic]
Yea, just saw the news... this is becoming the new normal.
sweetmm
angel bean

uglyamerican I had always get the vibe that Dan regards Phil as his pillar from ages ago but now it seems to me Phil is somehow out-rightly confirms this. Prior to me Phil was mentioning more of Dan relying having him around in social surroundings, but now I feel like he is owning his senpai status to Dan in all aspects, at least that's how I personally sees it.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Pardon me if I seem a little harsh (I just returned from Happy Hour here in the east), but recently (or always,) I've see Dan as being uber supportive (defensive? - not that there is anything wrong with being defensive) of Phil, always crediting him for what is due. I see Dan as a great(ful) friend - not sure why anyone would see anything different.
sweetmm
angel bean

uglyamerican wrote:Pardon me if I seem a little harsh (I just returned from Happy Hour here in the east), but recently (or always,) I've see Dan as being uber supportive (defensive? - not that there is anything wrong with being defensive) of Phil, always crediting him for what is due. I see Dan as a great(ful) friend - not sure why anyone would see anything different.
Yeah I noticed that too, I wondered why at times, this need for Dan to vocalise his "feelings" about Phil (supportive/defensive etc). Is there anyone that said Dan is not grateful lately, I think maybe a few years back when he was trying to establish himself as danisnotonfire (thankfully those days are gone).

When were you harsh?
apathy
sad dimple

"Senpai" could be cute, might even be believable on some level, since Dan recently mentioned again that he runs ideas by Phil. But generally I can't put much stock in anything written in m&gs. They're scribbling them down in mere seconds, so I expect they're just the first persona-acceptable answer that comes to mind, not exactly heartfelt and fully genuine.

And that question even being asked... :sideeye: What were they expecting out of that? It's worse than "would you rather marry Phil or die a slow and painful death in a volcano" as if Dan's going to go "oh no, you've got me trapped and I have no other choice but to admit I really do want to marry Phil". :roll:
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

sweetmm wrote:
uglyamerican wrote:Pardon me if I seem a little harsh (I just returned from Happy Hour here in the east), but recently (or always,) I've see Dan as being uber supportive (defensive? - not that there is anything wrong with being defensive) of Phil, always crediting him for what is due. I see Dan as a great(ful) friend - not sure why anyone would see anything different.
Yeah I noticed that too, I wondered why at times, this need for Dan to vocalise his "feelings" about Phil (supportive/defensive etc). Is there anyone that said Dan is not grateful lately, I think maybe a few years back when he was trying to establish himself as danisnotonfire (thankfully those days are gone).

When were you harsh?
He does take the defensive stance for Phil a lot (thinking about the whole rant about credit and the encouraging Phil to speak on panels and all) and I think it's a mix of:

1. Their dynamic: they balance each other incredibly well and we have notice of how supportive they are of each other in private by their discourses (the news of how they show their videos to eachother before posting, or debating ideas for their channels) and hints of it when we see little acts on public (how they cling to each other in parties where they don't really know many people, I'm also thinking of the hand Dan put on Phil's back after the vidcon hug was it last year o the year before? as a comforting gesture... and many others)

2. The fans reception: the increasing vocalization of their history and domestic things because when he does it he receives very positive feedback from the fans, (be it by shippers who just like when he mentions Phil and people who are still shaken up from 2012) the amount of likes and positive feedback can be very encouraging and also (I don't want to make it sound bad because it isn't) a good way of controlling the phandom, first thing that comes to mind is the rant about credit and the results of tons of people going on other's youtubers channels demanding credit and basically scaring a lot of people into never forgetting to credit them (that maybe have gotten out of hand with other youtubers now starting to get really annoyed by it - might burn some bridges or make people less willing to have contact with them/the phandom)

Could also be:
Something that we talked before in here is how their secrecy policy is changing (just an educated guess) and how they're becoming more open about their privacy/not scared about every little thing anymore, that could also explain how we increasingly have new 'moments' of these things. People take it in various ways, some hoping they're slowly building up to coming out and some thinking they just aren't freaking out about the weirdness that is shipping.

wow I had some opinions! I hope everything is coherent, if not just reply and I'll try again, lol
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LurkingTrash wrote: Could also be:
Something that we talked before in here is how their secrecy policy is changing (just an educated guess) and how they're becoming more open about their privacy/not scared about every little thing anymore, that could also explain how we increasingly have new 'moments' of these things. People take it in various ways, some hoping they're slowly building up to coming out and some thinking they just aren't freaking out about the weirdness that is shipping.

wow I had some opinions! I hope everything is coherent, if not just reply and I'll try again, lol
Yay opinions! I agree with pretty much everything, I just quoted the last part specifically to add:

And, of course, the people who interpret it as phanservice/audience manipulation - not the assumption I would jump to, but a popular one.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

I hope he waited a few hours before posting this :?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

LurkingTrash wrote: I hope he waited a few hours before posting this :?
Looking at LAX flight departures I don't think so... hopefully they're already behind security where not everyone can come to mob them.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Now we know what to imagine they were watching during bus cuddles:
And I guess they realize their late night flying cover was blown.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

He's @ replying a lot of people today, I guess they are bored waiting for their flight.
majitzu
angel bean

Back to London!
Please more videos!
Please a liveshow!
We have had 1 liveshow in 3 months, how is that even possible?
I miss them!
bear
hobbit hair

All this 2009/10 talk yes Were there "creepy shippers" as Dan said, back then?
majitzu wrote:Back to London!
Please more videos!
Please a liveshow!
We have had 1 liveshow in 3 months, how is that even possible?
I miss them!
Same :cry:
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

LurkingTrash wrote:He's @ replying a lot of people today, I guess they are bored waiting for their flight.
Yes. I was surprised (and died for 10 sec ) when he replied to me. Hopefully, there are no fangirls waiting at the airport when they arrive.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Diyes_Celine wrote:
LurkingTrash wrote:He's @ replying a lot of people today, I guess they are bored waiting for their flight.
Yes. I was surprised (and died for 10 sec ) when he replied to me. Hopefully, there are no fangirls waiting at the airport when they arrive.
Aw, yay!! I'm glad he replied to you.

And same, on the airport thing. How much they must hate that dude tweeting about seeing them.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Not to get all but are we sure Phil is with Dan at the airport? I mean aside from Phil jokingly tweeting about about canceling his flight, there isn't any actual proof that Phil is actually with Dan right now. For all we know he could be alone in his hotel room.
Let's be real, they almost always fly together but, you never know.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

A few people on Twitter were talking about that airport tweet being fake, I don't know how they know either way, but it's possible I guess. Still, if they were only staying an extra week, they'd be coming home soon.

So looking forward to the baking video, such a stunning photo of them both. The spider web and donut emojis are quite telling.

Really interesting to hear about the old days, thanks for the insights
blueapple_x
flower crown

I'm interested to see what the dynamic will be like between Rosanna and Deppy lol. Based on what I've seen of her, she seems like the totally opposite of them. I wonder how they even got the idea to collab together. Not that I'm not happy to see them in something of course! :lol: