Dan & Phil Part 17: Open Wide for Captain Lester

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Vivastian
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her

Well done, UK.
GG wrote:*the site that shall not be named, ty
DryCereal
koi pond

I''m probably going to regret asking, but what did I miss in reference to this thread title?
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

IckleMissMayhem wrote:I''m probably going to regret asking, but what did I miss in reference to this thread title?
Audio from the alternate fanfic ending, tweet under the cut:
Originally posted by crash[], thank you for that!
Also adding to the calls for more tweets/pics/video from the TATINOF afterparty, please boys, the UK is demolishing itself and this is the only thing that will make me happy. (i mean obviously this is a lie - my cousin is marrying her girlfriend a month today and that made me smile for like two seconds - but it sure as hell feels true right now) Shame that so many US YTers seem not to have gone, too, I'm really surprised by Cat in particular!
corn flakes
moon room

I'm happy that the final show was for the fans and only some youtubers were there, still it's strange that tyler wasn't , also as much as I find jewards sad I think they didn't even registered that info as they were super busy, still super cringey af.

Now please a photo of the pharty (I don't know how to write but it's fitting)for the end of tatinof.
[offtopic]Brexit:
Still haven't got the courage to turn on the tv but I'm sad and angry about the results. I knew this was going to happen as in my country they said people were leaning towards out and I had to explain to people from my own country how fucked up will be the uk.
It's not only my future plans that are going to be fucked up, I'm angry because the concept of eu has been torn apart, it's not perfect but to see that this kind of achievement has lost because of ignorance and xenophobia makes me lose hope.
[/offtopic]
Regarding the process of brexit here it has been said is going to take 2 years so it's not going to affect much their plans for eu tour me thinks.
Last edited by corn flakes on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

internetakeover wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:I''m probably going to regret asking, but what did I miss in reference to this thread title?
Still waiting for some kind soul to transcript it :oops:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Open wide for Captain Lester, wow! Can't believe he actually said that haha! I always said that I wanted them to eat cake in space so I'm glad I'll be able to pick that one, so much better than camping!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

sweetmm wrote:
internetakeover wrote:
Still waiting for some kind soul to transcript it :oops:
I can't make out the whole thing (was hoping someone else could and could inform us both!) but I've got:
Narrator: 'Phil sensually fed Dan a slice of cake'
Dan: 'Okay... R-really, is that necessary? I could just eat it.'
Phil: 'Dan we need to follow the script!'
Dan: 'Okay I guess.'
Phil: 'Open wide for Captain Lester!'
Dan: 'No, no, no- *muffled, presumably having cake shoved in his mouth* Okay, alright. Thank you, okay.'
Narrator: 'Phil fed Dan another slice.'
Dan: 'Woah, okay-' *something else I can't make out*
Phil: 'But it's in the script!'
Dan: 'Is it?'
Phil: 'Yes! Here comes the pirate ship.'
Dan: 'Oh god oh god oh god. I am very uncomfortable right now, this is very weird.'
Narrator: 'Phil lovingly brushed a stray crumb from Dan's-'
*overwhelming screams, can't make it out. Phil says something that ends it 'Philly'?*
Dan: 'Stop! Stop! You know what, I'm sorry, okay, I don't care who's behind this, I don't want to solve the mystery, I just don't want to do this anymore!' *segment ends*
and yeah typing that out I am... uncomfortable with this inclusion. It seems, idk, more directly teasing/queerbait-y and more mocking than the other version felt? but I'm also hella grumpy generally rn, and it might partially be b/c I'm not there in the moment/experience, and also that's definitely the option I cheered for, so.
Last edited by internetakeover on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
danphil333
hobbit hair

lol daniel you are a joke I didnt even catch up with this place maybe you already talked about it. dont mind me, but i think dan is trying to make me hate him even more and he succeeded

can someone make a compination of all the times dan talked about physical copies of things ("you can hold it in your hands"i still have his voice in my ears). Because physical copies are so much better guys and daniel loves them
or even better. find all the 242142 times he explained the reasons why they made a fucking book?? :lol:

where is the video of the girl(my hero :x ) ripping up tabinof when you need it..
i was gonna buy the stupid doc as i did with the book like an idiot. no no no
i cant wait for a torrent or sth. so excited

pffff welcome to the FuTuRe captain howell
Imageme
sweetmm
angel bean

More info for those not aware of the origin of thread name
By the way they wore the gold coats, I guess they'll be merging the UK & US show in the video.

Thanks internetakeover :platonic:
Last edited by sweetmm on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DryCereal
koi pond

sweetmm wrote:By the way they wore the gold coats, I guess they'll be merging the UK & US show in the video.
Good. The gold stuff looked 9500000000000 times better.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
lavenderpetals
butt chair
Pronouns: They/Them

Going to leave this here.
sweetmm
angel bean

SquishPhan
capita£ester

sweetmm wrote:
Cute.
grannypants
living flop

sweetmm wrote:
this is adorable, i bet they're so glad it's finally over.

happy about the documentary/film but kinda annoyed at dan's tweet about not needing a physical copy. the whole point of tabinof was so fans could have a physical book of the d&p life but we're not allowed that for the show? what?
ytred sounds stupid, release it on dvd or shove it on netflix.

sorry about the angst i am feeling all the eu emotions this morning
"don't mind me, just having a little float" - dan howell
sweetmm
angel bean

annetamiau
lady door

Honestly, I'm close to being done with deppy. The alternative ending to the phanfiction took their shipbaiting to a whole another level. 'Open wide for captain Lester' but they had two rooms in their bus. If they are not together, this whole game they started to play like two years ago would make me actually dislike them a lot. To be honest, I don't know how people who think they are not together watch them anymore. I know there is a fine line between fanservice and shipbaiting, but I can't see this as anything else but the latter (not just that they changed the ending of the segment, but the whole segment itself).

As for the 'physical copy' (or lack of it with the YTR project), I honestly think Dan said that when the book came out only because he wanted people to buy it.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
daphenaxa
blobfish

honestly i don't get the parallels between a physical copy of the book and Dan and Phil's arguments for it and a physical copy of the show film.

Having a physical book, reading it, enjoying it, keeping it, is a complete different experience than watching youtube videos and even a different experience than reading an e-copy on an e-reader. So i think their arguments for the book were legitimate.

However between a dvd and a film on YTR or netflix whatever, the experience watching it is exactly the same. It's the same film that you gonna watch the same way. There is absolutely no added experience or value if it is a physical copy imo (unless there was a cool booklet accompanying it or something like that). But just a dvd i don't see the point of a physical copy and I don't see how Dan's answer (though honestly kinda rude and annoying) invalidates their thought process and arguments for the book.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

daphenaxa wrote:honestly i don't get the parallels between a physical copy of the book and Dan and Phil's arguments for it and a physical copy of the show film.

Having a physical book, reading it, enjoying it, keeping it, is a complete different experience than watching youtube videos and even a different experience than reading an e-copy on an e-reader. So i think their arguments for the book were legitimate.

However between a dvd and a film on YTR or netflix whatever, the experience watching it is exactly the same. It's the same film that you gonna watch the same way. There is absolutely no added experience or value if it is a physical copy imo (unless there was a cool booklet accompanying it or something like that). But just a dvd i don't see the point of a physical copy and I don't see how Dan's answer (though honestly kinda rude and annoying) invalidates their thought process and arguments for the book.
Honestly, same. I get the nostalgia over a physical book that you can hold and treasure, but a movie is something you watch digitally anyway. It being on DVD or on YTR will not change that. Sure, they could put a DVD in danandphilshop, and it would be nice to have a physical reminder of the show on my shelf, but I'd probably just get a digital copy anyway, because of shipping prices. ;)
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

mysterylovescompany wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:honestly i don't get the parallels between a physical copy of the book and Dan and Phil's arguments for it and a physical copy of the show film.

Honestly, same. I get the nostalgia over a physical book that you can hold and treasure, but a movie is something you watch digitally anyway. It being on DVD or on YTR will not change that. Sure, they could put a DVD in danandphilshop, and it would be nice to have a physical reminder of the show on my shelf, but I'd probably just get a digital copy anyway, because of shipping prices. ;)
I mean, it's just nice to have a physical copy of the thing you know :lol: I have very big of collection of DVD's in my house whether it's movies or Tour DVD's.
:biheart:
blueapple_x
flower crown

mysterylovescompany wrote:

Yeah I kinda agree. It's going to be watched digitally either way. We're going to be able to stop, pause, rewind, fast-forward in the same way. Maybe people just like the thought of a DVD case because it seems more like a traditional film.

And I personally don't think Dan's response was rude/condescending regarding the "welcome to the future". I thought he was very obviously joking in a lighthearted way (hence the random capitalization of every other letter to stress the sing-songy teasing thing he does).

I also think he was just trying to promote tabinof before so he used the whole "physical copy" shtick to do so. It's the same concept as when they promoted DAPG. "We play games anyway, may as well film it". Of course they're not going to say "we made this channel because it sounded like a good enough idea plus we need to make it up to you for getting rid of the radioshow--oh and this will really help fund the secret project you don't know about yet aka tatinof/tabinof. We're not actually going to record us playing the games we actually play IRL lolzor". So yeah, it's probably cheaper/more profitable for them to release tatinof this way than to make a physical dvd. I ain't mad.
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Catallana I think they will release a teaser DITL video about the tour and include the bite fied by their little red camera and their phone. That was they can win favor from phandom and also #spon the new documentary. Also DP are very aware of their audience and so far I've seen negative reactions. So to lessen the blow they will release some all inclusive free footage ;) (kind of like the making of video for TABINOF)
uglyamerican
woodland creature

I like the concept of the physical copy because of the "extras" it enables, particularly cover artwork / booklet. I originally purchased the TABINOF as an audiobook (because who has time for reading?,) which was great, but then I realized that I was missing tons of content by not buying the book, so I did, and I'm happy I did. Dan was correct that a book is something tangible, a keepsake. I'm a bit suspicious about the deal they cut with YouTube - I'm now thinking that they signed over the video rights to the TATINOF show performance for YouTube to exclusively exploit in any form, in perpetuity, in exchange for paying for the production services and possibly the rental of the Dolby Theater. Of course, D&P probably got a fee upfront, and will get a per view (or per sale) royalty on top of that. Nothing wrong with the deal at all, except that they lose control over the distribution of the product - which means no physical copy unless YouTube decides to publish it at some point. I do hold out hope that the guys retained the rights to the tour behind-the-scenes documentary since they have been working on that project for some time now, and will hopefully contain material from all the TATINOF tour legs (UK/US/AUS/EUR.) Maybe this film will be available as a separate download / physical copy.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Is it bad that I'm just going to wait for some kind soul to post a copy online of whatever's in YTRed "legally"? ;)

I think a significant portion of D&P's audience aren't the type to have credit cards. Sure, there will be some whose parents will let their kids "borrow" said cards to pay for YTRed subscription, but I think a more significant portion won't have access to that type of payment. (Or maybe it's just an Asian thing. My parents would never let me mooch off their credit cards unless it's a "necessity". And as much as my age should enable me to have one, I'm unfortunately still in school for at least 2 more years with no income except for allowance, thus making banks unable to release a credit card to me.). So if the only means of paying for the subscription (if you're not from the States) is Paypal, or anything else that requires credit cards and not "manual" payment, I honestly think a lot international fans won't have access to the videos. :cry:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

annetamiau wrote:Honestly, I'm close to being done with deppy. The alternative ending to the phanfiction took their shipbaiting to a whole another level. 'Open wide for captain Lester' but they had two rooms in their bus. If they are not together, this whole game they started to play like two years ago would make me actually dislike them a lot. To be honest, I don't know how people who think they are not together watch them anymore. I know there is a fine line between fanservice and shipbaiting, but I can't see this as anything else but the latter (not just that they changed the ending of the segment, but the whole segment itself).
And i will never understand this argument. The shipping was a HUGE part of the phandom way before they started to acknowledge it and do fanservice. I'd side-eye them if they practically made this ship up and tried to promote it with fanservice, but instead they tried to stop it for years, before they finally let go a little and accepted the inevitable.
We know they are very in touch with the phandom. They can't celebrate the phandom without acknowledging the shipping, it would be the elephant in the room.
The only argument i would agree with is if you think they tried to shipbait with all they did in 2009.
And also, for what feels like the 100th time, i don't like to categorize couple vs friendship behaviour, because i don't like to tell people how they should behave as to not "give anyone the wrong idea", but i know nobody cares
Question: Can people in the US buy tatinof seperately? Or do they have to buy a year long subscription? Because that's what i would be salty about. Some people have probably already used their free trial.
Thank god it's probably gonna take a while till we have ytr in germany, i wouldn't buy a subscription, not even for them and i would do a lot for them :lol:
I'm waiting for a video compilation of Dan talking about liking a physical copy of things and his tweet from yesterday at the end. Knowing the phandom, somebody is working on that right now.
I guess ytr offered them a really good deal and no physical copy was part of that and Dan's just trying to justify it, like he did with the free tickets for yesterday's show. Oh Dan.
apathy
sad dimple

Dan's reply style almost makes me think he did want a physical offering but was given that response himself. Annoyed sarcasm. Maybe they couldn't work out the deal they wanted. But I'm probably just reading into it the way I want, because I'm anti renting videos by the month.

I hope it'll be brought up in a ls if we ever get one.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.