Dan & Phil Part 19: Banging on the breakfast bar

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

swofro wrote:At the end of the article, they linked to other stuff they have written about Deppy and I totally take the 'Which Dan and Phil outfit are you?' quiz and I got black shirt and fox jumper. Wby?
Same!

edit: oh dear why is this the first post on a new page
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

mysterylovescompany wrote:
swofro wrote:At the end of the article, they linked to other stuff they have written about Deppy and I totally take the 'Which Dan and Phil outfit are you?' quiz and I got black shirt and fox jumper. Wby?
Same!

edit: oh dear why is this the first post on a new page
Matching collared shirts. I'm happy enough
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

Also this is an interesting perspective on the YTR video. Something about the tone of the video bothered me definitely, and apparently this person also.

http://prettyprettypretties.tumblr.com/ ... ill-pissed
sunday
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

spaceguitar wrote:Also this is an interesting perspective on the YTR video. Something about the tone of the video bothered me definitely, and apparently this person also.

Yeah it's unfortunate, I think this vid could have been done right and it was cool that they got to react to something more important than bloody DHMIS, but the Fine Bros kind of missed the mark. Some comments made by YTers made me a bit uncomfortable, especially Swoozie (I think?) saying something about how he shows vids like this to his friends to make them feel better about their lives/work harder or whatever it was :? . The way disabled people are used as "inspiration p0rn" is gross
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

spaceguitar wrote:Also this is an interesting perspective on the YTR video. Something about the tone of the video bothered me definitely, and apparently this person also.

they put into words what i couldn't really express abt it
the vid was ok for exposure to the girl's channel and awareness about autism but it really had something off putting abt it

re: phil's ls, I just watched it and loved it as usual. The only sad part abt it is that it seems they wont abandon younow anytime soon *sighs*

they are really nice but I can't help feeling like the bit where phil said that he'll ask younow to make a package deal for him and dan is just a really clever way to sell this to the phandom in advance. Perhaps I'm being too cynical but I can't really buy that he just find out about this new change :?
bear
hobbit hair

daichii wrote:

they put into words what i couldn't really express abt it
the vid was ok for exposure to the girl's channel and awareness about autism but it really had something off putting abt it
What a interesting perspective that didn't come to mind, but now when I think about it it is actually true.
daichii wrote: they are really nice but I can't help feeling like the bit where phil said that he'll ask younow to make a package deal for him and dan is just a really clever way to sell this to the phandom in advance. Perhaps I'm being too cynical but I can't really buy that he just find out about this new change :?
I agree that they did find out about this before us, but also remember they aren't money-greedy manipulative thieves :lol:. I'm annoyed that they're probably staying on younow, but (I don't think) that the money younow makes from that goes to them. Who knows.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Tough vid to React to chosen by the FineBros. Not like any of the ytubers would say 'no I won't subscribe because I don't think she's funny'. It all just felt fake, and though the intent was positive and inspiring, for me, the aftertaste was patronizing and empty, but that comes down to the FineBros, not the reacting ytubers.
deerly
glabella
Pronouns: they/them

YES, thank you! I didn't want to bring this up as a non-autistic person I wouldn't be able to word it very well, but I actually couldn't even watch the whole video because of some of the youtubers. I was ready for some ableist undertones the moment I saw what the title(clenched my buttcheeks etc) but the shit some of the guys said was just so dehumanizing.. maybe I spend too much time on tumblr but I was shocked by all the "Haha at least your life is not as shitty as hers so be happy/Oooh they're just like us "normal people"/What an inspiration!1/Wow she's autistic but a better comedian than me lololol", what the actual fuck.
Deppy were kinda okay, thank G-d, but the reactions from some of the fans on twitter/tumblr, chill and stop praising them for being just decent people it should be an expected behavior not the reason to lay a path of rose petals everywhere they go. I get it, you're glad they're not assholes, I mean I'm glad too, I hold my breath every time my problematic-sense starts tingling but they are not some bright precious brave social justice heroes for not saying sick horrible things.
The only good thing about that fucking video is the fact that it will for sure bring Carly lots of new subscribers.

As I emerged from my lurkdom I might as well say that I very much enjoy Dan's cosplay adventure, can't wait to see the outfit in action, hear all of the Phil's sassy comments about it, maybe some kind ofdomestic fashion debate would be a nice little touch to the letsplay
Sad we didn't get a butt footage in those leggings
Also, fuck younow.
phamnotof wrote:I like my reserved, nerdy awkward weirdos who electroshock their balls in the privacy of their own bedroom with proper safe words and some bloody decorum.
Rigby
lady door

I had like 15 pages of catching up to do, but I just wanted to mention that I think Dan bought those leggings when they filmed the Christmas DITL. The running tights and the zip-up jacket are both Nike, and he's carrying Nike bags when he steps out of the shop (which I'm pretty sure is a Nike store):

@8:30

And I bet he's wearing them in this picture (sorry, I don't know how to embed Instagram pictures) https://www.instagram.com/p/xwkAWzpgFl/. He's wearing the same zip-up jacket he was wearing in the Pokemon Go video.

IDK, I really enjoyed the video and I got to watch it with my friend who also likes at 3 a.m., which was nice, so I wanted to contribute something lol

I also agree with that post about the YTR video someone linked above, well said.

Regarding book 2: a bit underwhelmed, I'm probably not going to buy it... or maybe I will
timtam
lady door

hiddenwombat wrote:
beth193 wrote:Delurking after forever (actual years I think, I remember the single digit threads from the other place) because I just got tickets to Melbourne tatinof and as a 30 year old have absolutely zero people in my real life I can share my excitement with haha. Has anyone gone by themselves? I was tempted to get two tickets just in case I could drag someone along with me on the day, but they're so expensive I bit the bullet and decided to just go alone... It'll still be fun, I've watched them both since about 2011 so I feel weirdly invested in them (at least I know you guys understand that :D).

Glad to finally post something, thanks everyone for entertaining me for so long
i was there as soon as phil tweeted the link out and VIP weren't available ONE MINUTE afterward wtf how the hell
i refreshed the page for normal tickets and orchestra popped up, then refreshed again after 20 sec out of curiosity and the best available were lounge seats. tour's going well, guys!
I did almost the same thing, lol (and got the same results ofc). I'm more curious about shows like Adelaide and Perth, because the first Adelaide show took a little while to sell out completely, and the Perth one never did sell out iirc. But it's a very impressive turnout regardless. Well done, .
There were VIP tickets still available at 12pm but are now sold out in Melbourne. They look like they sell out after one minute but tickets do get put back in the system because people run out of time or decide they don't want them. But VIP tickets were $200 each and that is so much money. I have no idea how teenagers and children afford these tickets. I love Dan and Phil but I can't justify $200 to meet them just to say an awkward hello and get a photo. But that's just me.

I wanted the cheapest tickets (bc I am a very broke uni student) and I got offered tickets in the lounge in row F but if you search right now you can still buy tickets for the row in front of me. It's really just the luck of the draw. I didn't want to risk losing my decent seats by searching for different ones. There's also still tickets available in the orchestra in Melb.

Is there VIP for the Melbourne evening show? Because the afternoon show starts at 4:30 which doesn't leave a huge amount of time between the two shows to run VIP meet and greets.
eevee
emo goose

Wow I had a terrible day and I was away from IDB for most of it but luckily I'm all caught up! I was able to catch the liveshow live so this was my bingo card afterwards:
also super surprised he mentioned the younow thing, hopefully younow will treat them like shit and they'll leave rather than younow kissing their asses and working out some kind of deal. The package subscription was a nice gesture but he should really consider moving to YT livestreaming....
hunnyftw wrote:
Noticed that too and it was fine, as always. But there was something else that for some reason struck me about him today: he was just so damn nice to the viewers and it seemed really genuine. Even in his sassier moments he made sure to avoid maliciousness and always ended on a positive note.
Just off the top of my head:
- someone in the chat says that Phil is too loud; Phil states the obvious "maybe turn your speakers down" but finishes with "but maybe you actually care for my voice getting hurt, thanks".
- someone tells him to not call himself ugly; he corrects the person that he wasn't speaking about hismself but about the light in the livingroom being ugly, but then he thanks the person for being nice to him
- he reads out a name in the chat as "American34 something something" and apologises for not remembering all the numbers
- somebody in the chat thanks him for making them smile, he immediately thanks this person for making him smile with that comment
- depsite all the chat and himself expressing negative opinions about graduations being boring he ends the convo by assuring the person that started the topic that their graduation will be fine

The first and the second examples were especially nice of him because he really could've ended just on the corrective part, I'm sure most people would do just that. But he didn't. And there were many more situations like that. Sorry for probably boring y'all to death but I felt a sudden wave of new love for Phil. He really is a good egg
Those are all great examples of Phil being really kind, thanks for the list

As for YTR, I didn't think it was anything special but I'm glad we got it today.
ironic wrote:The topic is interesting and Carly seems great, but all of the reactions were really boring and predictable. Though idk what I expected.
Exactly how I feel! Glad I'm not alone.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

timtam wrote:
hiddenwombat wrote:
beth193 wrote:Delurking after forever (actual years I think, I remember the single digit threads from the other place) because I just got tickets to Melbourne tatinof and as a 30 year old have absolutely zero people in my real life I can share my excitement with haha. Has anyone gone by themselves? I was tempted to get two tickets just in case I could drag someone along with me on the day, but they're so expensive I bit the bullet and decided to just go alone... It'll still be fun, I've watched them both since about 2011 so I feel weirdly invested in them (at least I know you guys understand that :D).

Glad to finally post something, thanks everyone for entertaining me for so long
i was there as soon as phil tweeted the link out and VIP weren't available ONE MINUTE afterward wtf how the hell
i refreshed the page for normal tickets and orchestra popped up, then refreshed again after 20 sec out of curiosity and the best available were lounge seats. tour's going well, guys!
I did almost the same thing, lol (and got the same results ofc). I'm more curious about shows like Adelaide and Perth, because the first Adelaide show took a little while to sell out completely, and the Perth one never did sell out iirc. But it's a very impressive turnout regardless. Well done, .
There were VIP tickets still available at 12pm but are now sold out in Melbourne. They look like they sell out after one minute but tickets do get put back in the system because people run out of time or decide they don't want them. But VIP tickets were $200 each and that is so much money. I have no idea how teenagers and children afford these tickets. I love Dan and Phil but I can't justify $200 to meet them just to say an awkward hello and get a photo. But that's just me.

I wanted the cheapest tickets (bc I am a very broke uni student) and I got offered tickets in the lounge in row F but if you search right now you can still buy tickets for the row in front of me. It's really just the luck of the draw. I didn't want to risk losing my decent seats by searching for different ones. There's also still tickets available in the orchestra in Melb.

Is there VIP for the Melbourne evening show? Because the afternoon show starts at 4:30 which doesn't leave a huge amount of time between the two shows to run VIP meet and greets.
I was wondering how it would all fit, too. Because I didn't get VIP either (same reasons as you), but there were deffo VIP tickets on sale for the Melb evening show. They sold out almost immediately. The show is at 7:30, but entry into the M&G area apparently starts at 4:00?
http://wearenice.com.au/dan-phil-faqs wrote: (Pre show starts approx 3 hours prior to showtime).
[...]
Entry into the VIP Area begins at 4pm. It is a dedicated room within the theatre set up by Dan and Phil complete with snacks, beanbag seats and a special music playlist! Dan and Phil come to say hi to the VIP guests and then meet everyone individually. Each guest can have one item signed and one selfie or regular photo with Dan and Phil. Every VIP also receives an exclusive tote bag containing customized VIP tour merchandise (not for sale anywhere) and other surprises! There is also a guest book to sign that Dan and Phil will take home. VIP will run until 6:30pm.
Cheekyposter
tol bean

Just got into this year and lurked here for a few months now just sayin hi and lettin my presence be known :D
ironic
lady door

deerly wrote:

YES, thank you! I didn't want to bring this up as a non-autistic person I wouldn't be able to word it very well, but I actually couldn't even watch the whole video because of some of the youtubers. I was ready for some ableist undertones the moment I saw what the title(clenched my buttcheeks etc) but the shit some of the guys said was just so dehumanizing.. maybe I spend too much time on tumblr but I was shocked by all the "Haha at least your life is not as shitty as hers so be happy/Oooh they're just like us "normal people"/What an inspiration!1/Wow she's autistic but a better comedian than me lololol", what the actual fuck.
Deppy were kinda okay, thank G-d, but the reactions from some of the fans on twitter/tumblr, chill and stop praising them for being just decent people it should be an expected behavior not the reason to lay a path of rose petals everywhere they go. I get it, you're glad they're not assholes, I mean I'm glad too, I hold my breath every time my problematic-sense starts tingling but they are not some bright precious brave social justice heroes for not saying sick horrible things.
I agree with everything you said
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
vincentian
hobbit hair

The message of the React video sounded off to me too, I agree with what deerly and teamug said. Imo Dan provided the least cringy reaction of all, and Phil was very safe with his answers (which is a good strategy when you approach a sensitive topic).
Dan looked really tired in this one, he was probably already getting sick. When he decided to share about personally knowing a person with autism, he looked down and put on his “brave” “so-what” voice he sometimes uses on younow. Rare view of Dan kinda psyching himself up to say something (or maybe it was due to weariness ). Also, was it an encouraging nod from Phil, or he knows exactly who Dan was talking about? He seemed very alert but not surprised, granted Phil’s poker-face is hard to read.

Phil’s ls was ok, but I liked more the previous one. Thanks hunnyftw for listing the moments where Phil was super nice and polite, I like that about him, even is sometimes it’s a bit ironic because the situation is not worth it. Good example for the kids, also professional.

Hopefully we're getting a new video on dinof soon.
timtam
lady door

eevee wrote:
ironic wrote:The topic is interesting and Carly seems great, but all of the reactions were really boring and predictable. Though idk what I expected.
Exactly how I feel! Glad I'm not alone.
I also feel the same. It's not like they were ever going to say something terrible because it's a lovely story. I found the sort of pity sighs from people like Dodie a bit condescending though.
mysterylovescompany wrote: I was wondering how it would all fit, too. Because I didn't get VIP either (same reasons as you), but there were deffo VIP tickets on sale for the Melb evening show. They sold out almost immediately. The show is at 7:30, but entry into the M&G area apparently starts at 4:00?
http://wearenice.com.au/dan-phil-faqs wrote: (Pre show starts approx 3 hours prior to showtime).
[...]
Entry into the VIP Area begins at 4pm. It is a dedicated room within the theatre set up by Dan and Phil complete with snacks, beanbag seats and a special music playlist! Dan and Phil come to say hi to the VIP guests and then meet everyone individually. Each guest can have one item signed and one selfie or regular photo with Dan and Phil. Every VIP also receives an exclusive tote bag containing customized VIP tour merchandise (not for sale anywhere) and other surprises! There is also a guest book to sign that Dan and Phil will take home. VIP will run until 6:30pm.

So people are going to be arriving into the VIP area at 4pm at the same time as others will be arriving for the afternoon show. I think it's going to be extremely busy and messy there. I mean VIP will run until 6:30 but they'll be in a show from 4:30 onwards... I don't get it. Maybe both VIP's are on at the same time?
bluewho
truth bomb

Cheekyposter wrote:Just got into this year and lurked here for a few months now just sayin hi and lettin my presence be known :D
:welcome: :platonic: :)
vincentian wrote:Hopefully we're getting a new video on dinof soon.
Yes, last upload was a MONTH ago. I would have thought AmazingPhil and danisnotonfire would be the first two to be uploaded to, but instead we've had two gaming channel videos and then one AmazingPhil vid - surely DINOF is next.

Re: the YouTubers react video - I definitely felt like the story was about her disability and less on the fact that she already released an absolutely hilarious interview. I don't really understand why people are all 'surprised' when people with disabilities/autism 'turn out' to be intelligent, interesting people in their own right - this is not news :sideeye: There was a lot of sympathy and holding her up as a 'role model' for other people with autism/disabilities when there shouldn't be any pressure on people with disabilities to do things their impairment prevents them from doing - they should be supported to do things can and want to do not pushed into doing things they don't feel able to. I can't articulate what I mean very well, but I hope this came across right.

[offtopic]
Winston wrote:Although the threesome comment didn't get as much discussion as I had anticipated. :lol:
I was rewatching old liveshows yesterday and I really was struck by the change in attitude. To put it in the conventional terms:

2012 Dan: This is my Friend Phil, I know you all want to talk to my Friend so here he is my Friend that I houseshare with, how are you old buddy old pal?

2016 Dan: So me and Phil are going to have a threesome with Professor Oak

Please excuse my they are glued on and I can't get them off.[/offtopic]
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

I really don't want to talk about mental health and autism but I have to give my 0.02€ and say that with topics like these, it's really like walking on shards of glass - if you don't know how to approach it appropriately you are probably doing to bleed...

I personally don't like the whole "you could be so much worse off" vibe, but in all reality they(TFB) showed 2 videos and got their reactions. I don't think it should have been a platform to let youtubers talk about autism, but they didn't say anything really bad either.
Like I know if I were shown this video I would probably say something that displeases someone as-well because I wouldn't have the time to form what I am going to say and my experience with autism is limited to a friends violent autistic brother and 2 friends with Asperger's.
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

eevee
emo goose

Cheekyposter wrote:Just got into this year and lurked here for a few months now just sayin hi and lettin my presence be known :D
:welcome: to the forum! Nice to meet you!
bluewho wrote:[offtopic]I was rewatching old liveshows yesterday and I really was struck by the change in attitude. To put it in the conventional terms:

2012 Dan: This is my Friend Phil, I know you all want to talk to my Friend so here he is my Friend that I houseshare with, how are you old buddy old pal?

That's not really phan goggles if you ask me, that's Dan being blatantly more comfortable with the relationship (whether it be platonic or not) and himself, he just seems so confident and happy right now, especially compared to those dark ages a few years ago, and it really really makes me happy. He's really come a long way. I can just tell that he's not hurting about phan and it's like a breath of fresh air. he's gotten to the point where he can make comments like the threesome comment and...I could go on and on and on. Bottom line is Dan is way happier now and I am living for it.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bluewho wrote: [offtopic]
Winston wrote:Although the threesome comment didn't get as much discussion as I had anticipated. :lol:
I was rewatching old liveshows yesterday and I really was struck by the change in attitude.
There really wasn't much discussion on it, was there? I wonder if that's just because it was extremely unambiguous. It was a joke which means no one is going to treat it like a confession or a coming out but at the same time I can't see how anyone could interpret it as anything but Dan talking about having sex with Phil and fictional male character, and the 'Phil' part wasn't the punchline.
Winston
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote:
bluewho wrote: [offtopic]
I was rewatching old liveshows yesterday and I really was struck by the change in attitude.

There really wasn't much discussion on it, was there? I wonder if that's just because it was extremely unambiguous. It was a joke which means no one is going to treat it like a confession or a coming out but at the same time I can't see how anyone could interpret it as anything but Dan talking about having sex with Phil and fictional male character, and the 'Phil' part wasn't the punchline.

That's what was so great about it. How nonchalant it was, how natural. I didn't even notice it until the 3rd or 4th time I had it on. Like what eevee said, the change in attitude is refreshing. Whether or not they are platonic or not, just a simple statement like that is nice to see. Shows how much Dan has changed. Less scared I think.i like this don't give a fuck anymore Dan, I hope he comes out to play more and more often. DGAFDAN bring DGAFPHIL if you can find him, then we'll really be cooking with gas!
actions speak louder than words
bluewho
truth bomb

eevee wrote:
bluewho wrote:[offtopic]I was rewatching old liveshows yesterday and I really was struck by the change in attitude. To put it in the conventional terms:

That's not really phan goggles if you ask me, that's Dan being blatantly more comfortable with the relationship (whether it be platonic or not) and himself, he just seems so confident and happy right now, especially compared to those dark ages a few years ago, and it really really makes me happy. He's really come a long way. I can just tell that he's not hurting about phan and it's like a breath of fresh air. he's gotten to the point where he can make comments like the threesome comment and...I could go on and on and on. Bottom line is Dan is way happier now and I am living for it.
^ You articulate it better than me, but yes this is what I was getting at. I think I just put because as alittledizzy said it was a joke and not a confession of anything. But at the same time it at least shows he is comfortable joking about phan. And this was in conjunction with all the male attraction comments yesterday. :thumb:
Winston
flower crown

bluewho wrote:
eevee wrote:

^ You articulate it better than me, but yes this is what I was getting at. I think I just put because as alittledizzy said it was a joke and not a confession of anything. But at the same time it at least shows he is comfortable joking about phan. And this was in conjunction with all the male attraction comments yesterday. :thumb:
What male attraction comments? I missed everything!
actions speak louder than words
grannypants
living flop

eevee wrote: That's not really phan goggles if you ask me, that's Dan being blatantly more comfortable with the relationship (whether it be platonic or not) and himself, he just seems so confident and happy right now, especially compared to those dark ages a few years ago, and it really really makes me happy. He's really come a long way. I can just tell that he's not hurting about phan and it's like a breath of fresh air. he's gotten to the point where he can make comments like the threesome comment and...I could go on and on and on. Bottom line is Dan is way happier now and I am living for it.
yes yes yes
also i caught two eevees today on pokemon! you are now living in my trainer's pockets
"don't mind me, just having a little float" - dan howell
corn flakes
moon room

React video: I didn't wanna be the one to say it but I also didn't like the general vibe of that video. I watched the first few minutes and then due to all the ohh,poor, the condescending tone I skipped for the deppy parts. The worst were doodie and that shay dude...also glad I skipped this part:
sunday wrote:

Yeah it's unfortunate, I think this vid could have been done right and it was cool that they got to react to something more important than bloody DHMIS, but the Fine Bros kind of missed the mark.
Some comments made by YTers made me a bit uncomfortable, especially Swoozie (I think?) saying something about how he shows vids like this to his friends to make them feel better about their lives/work harder or whatever it was :? . The way disabled people are used as "inspiration p0rn" is gross
Phil's nod seemed to me like he also knew that person and that he did agree with what dan said.

Threesome: imo he was joking, he is now ok and doesn't go "no homo".
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me