Dan & Phil Part 20: You are my Pikachu

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
starlight-still
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

Tiny thoughts on the DINOF diss track:
- I don't see anything remotely phan-denial-y in this. ::watches again:: Well. OK. Maybe a little. But nothing new.
- "People ship with his friend" line: He's roasting a particular perception of his relationship w/ Phil while roasting himself (and their whole "weeaboo" thing) indirectly. The thing is, it's the sort of thing that would be more suitable for "fandoms roast yourselves challenge" rather than youtubers. Unless he was writing it from the perspective of some of his colleagues or even rl friends or family (who may or may not know more about their relationship than we do). I wonder if this line alone is what prompted him to write a three paragraph disclaimer stating that it's all in jest...
- The "masturbate and pizza" line: It did surprise me a little just 'cause I hadn't seen it from either of them before apart from the passing mentions already discussed but I don't think it necessarily implies singleness. I almost thought of it as a reference to how he usually signs off his live shows with "I'm gonna go eat" and it's like "OK.......sure. What's he really doing?" just because it's a bit cryptic. Especially since he said it towards the end. Maybe. Ah ha, there's the truck pulling in now...beep. beep.

I just really enjoyed his performance here. Yeah, even his rapping...now, I don't know if Kanye's gonna be making any phone calls but it didn't annoy me nearly as much as I expected. He got enough dorkiness in without going into "omg, I'm a nerdy white boy rapping, lolz" territory (which would've made me :gg: his behind tbh). He put some thought into those screenshots and his mouth looks good when he talks in sunglasses
Would Phil ever roast himself? A gal can dream.

Nah…let’s be real. He couldn’t touch this...though I defer to our sovereign, danphil333 (waits patiently) (literally eating popcorn right now)

Edit: Ohhh, I'm "cheeky #spon" now. That's...timely.
Last edited by starlight-still on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

I just read such an interesting comment on the video. Though I don't completely agree, I think they have a point.
Anarchy: 'honestly this was so cringey. I used to like Dan so much except now his videos have just become cliche of himself and his branding. Phil reached that point long ago too...'

See I didn't find the vid cringey but it's true that he stays w/in his brand so much lately in a way that he didn't use to
dezzawintz
dank meme

blunted, I've been here the whole time, just silently watching HI EMMA!

I've calmed myself down now, here are some thoughts: people are literally freaking out on all social media, which is very understandable, I did the same, but my shock was mostly to do with the fact that he addressed phan and his sexuality, because knowing Dan (and knowing that he never uploads because he's scared of the wrath of the internet ), I really thought he'd just breeze on over those two things like it was nbd.
People denying that addressing his sexuality holds any weight are hilarious and infuriating in equal measure; what more does a boy have to do to let the people know he's queer, god damn it heteronormativity.

I've been swinging like the pendulum in a grandfather clock on speed regarding phan for a good few years now, and as someone who has both been vehemently sure they're just friends and intensely jealous of their everlasting love... I didn't get anything from this video. He neither confirmed or denied and chucked in a healthy dose of bestfwend branding, what's new? manged, your point about it being reductive struck a chord with me, but that being said I'm happy to go on with my life safe in the knowledge that this was all written by a white boy who can't rap and doesn't have the first clue how to write a rap. We weren't going to get Kendrick level poetry. Not to get (who am I kidding it's what I live for) but I re-watched that bit a few times and the only thing that gave me strong feelings was his 'oh?' after the line. Half of me was all he's being like 'yeah bitches, I'm shutting this down' and the other half saw the question mark and chuckled. He is, as always, being perpetually and deliberately ambiguous.

I enjoyed the self-awareness about appropriating rap and the even more self-awareness about the fact that he actually is a posh boy. Also is it just me or was he totally dragging the yt community with the whole appropriation depreciation yt nation bit?

If his family are actually sad that he's a millionaire in the media industry instead of a lawyer then I am legitimately baffled, but let's be honest, the joke's on them haha. Love to y'all.
just an existential pigeon trying to have a good time
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

SquishPhan wrote: I definitely think that we, the audience, got roasted as well, and I'm more than okay with it.
Samesamesame. If roasting us gives good quality then I'm all for it. Plus my sense of humour quite likes being called out by Dan if I'm honest.

The audience getting roasted was definitely the call me a liar line and the tumblr mention. I keep changing the bit I enjoyed the most, currently it's the fact he says that everything he does gets called out by tumblr for being problematic along with the image on the MacBook. There are so many little bits in the video that he's put effort into. The tumblr image being one and the cow on the milk bottle being the other when he talks about missing meat. These are the things I enjoy about dinof, the small little references and little things that could easily be missed if you don't watch closely enough.

For those saying they hope Phil does one, I'll just go ahead and say I hope he doesn't. As much as I love Phil, he couldn't pull something like this off imo.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

wow.

i've got nothing to add other than is this laptop new/old? I don't remember ever seeing one this dark/black.
Edit: nvm it just looks like the lighting is weird i guess
Last edited by greatnessflicker on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

missemma wrote: For those saying they hope Phil does one, I'll just go ahead and say I hope he doesn't. As much as I love Phil, he couldn't pull something like this off imo.
I think Phil could do a roast but I don't think he would because he would have to step away from amazingphil and be real Phil Lester to do it. I would love for Sassy Phil to roast amazingphil and it could be epic but Phil gives us so little that unless he broke the fourth wall his roast would just be about amazingphil getting attacked by animals, tripping over things, and pancakes.
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

daphenaxa wrote:
sweetmm wrote:Nothing new to offer in terms of information as I look at it as a parody of still DINOF and not Dan Howell.
honestly at this point I think people want to apply every personality trait they don't particularly like to danisnotonfire and pretend dan is a completely different person than he is. Danisnotonfire is not this complete unrelated entity, it is very much the real Dan but just super over the top and caricatured in a form of self preservation.

I actually liked that video after being unable to watch it for like 20 min. I think what I really loved about it is that he roasted himself but also very much the phandom (with the tumblr part and the society box part and the shipping part) and youtube community too in the end.
Ok so in some cases I agree with this. I think ages ago on gg I even made a similar post. But in this case I don't agree. I think 'persona' in reference to this video applies to the fact that Dan didn't really surprise anyone. That's bc everything he mentioned is already a piece of his persona. I mean people are thrilled bc he actually went there to an extent, but this vid was still centric on furries , procrastination, etc.
Last edited by spaceguitar on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

tfw you start writing up a thing when dan uploaded but you keep getting called away and having to do other shit in the middle of the night (sick cat) so it takes you about 3 hours to fucking write your signature wall of text because you're already slow without all that shit going on.

- The jacket looks good on him +1
- THE LYRICS ARE IN COMIC SANS HELLO THERE DINOF BRANDING
- Oh no he's tall :O
- Emo hair.
- Procrastination...
- Pretty sure you're not even close to forgotten yet Dan, but your relevancy is definitely fading and if you keep disconnecting from your audience in favor of books and tours you might actually be forgotton soon enough... The thing is, you're still in the stage where you can actually do something about that.
- PHAN MENTION. Glad to know he knows what I'm here for xoxo.
- WTF @ Phil laying on a bed with a flower crown on his head... Dan's pronunciation of Japanese words remains atrocious.
- Ohhh family mention. Always strangely fascinating.
- 'Anything that embarrassing from your past you just delete' Thinking of anything in particular there Danny boy?
- I laughed at the social justice part and he's probably gonna he's gonna get shit for it but it was grand.
- SEXUALITY MENTION. Kinda expected the Phan, this took me more by surprise. Didn't think he'd do it.
- Masturbation... that's a new part of brand. Like actually :O
- Aaaand that's where it stopped being interesting.

It was good, and I'm happy to say my fears didn't come true It was his best video in a year, possibly even longer than that. If he'd keep up this type of quality content I'd love DINOF again as much as I used to. Though it started out boring with the DINOF branding about being tall, having emo hair and procrastination, it gradually got a lot better with some bold moments. More in depth and rambling about those interesting bits in a spoilerrr.
Acknowledging the influence Phan has had on his popularity was nice, very self aware. I don't really care about how he called Phil his friend because it still ain't as bad as 'flatmate' or 'guy I live with' and it still is their public branding with the books and tour so yeah. Whatever, nothing new, moving on. But he seriously chickened out a bit at the part where he implied we Phan shippers just think the idea of them together is ~kawaii~ as if there isn't more to it? I'm insulted lol, I need my serious real people ships to have substantial amounts of questionable past interactions. And guess what hon... I get that he didn't want another million people digging shit up tho. But still, it was one the least 'real' parts.

The part about his ambitious sexuality was the most interesting. I'm torn here... like part of me is just like 'well he pretty much just said that he swings both fucking ways, Dan's sexuality debate is OVER' but on the other hand... was it really an answer? Was it supposed to be? There was something about boxes and keeping it vague. That's just like that old formspring answer from Phil, but without the definite answer that he gave there. And we still debate about that so what does any of this actually mean? What are his intentions? :confused: Yeah there was obviously a bit of poking fun at the phandom there and I'm fine with that, but if that was all that was I won't be pleased. Anyway, to me he's confirmed as not straight and who knows what that might be.

The family thing was interesting as well, speculation about his relationship with them has definitely been fueled again. Dan mentioned in his College Dropout video (where in reality he hadn't dropped out yet, he'd just taken a year out) that his mum was supportive but didn't mention his dad. I don't think he mentioned anything to his audience when he actually dropped out in 2012 (or I don't remember it) but I wonder about the reaction his parents had at the final decision. If his mum had hoped he would go back to school after a year surely she was disappointed. And if his dad already didn't like the break, I'm sure he didn't take kindly to dropping out either. My parents were okay with me taking time off for my mental health as well, but dropping out was a different story. They'd never admit disappointment though, but it's obvious in things they do or say and it puts a strain on things sometimes. Dan was lucky he didn't live with his parents anymore lemme say that :')
In the end I think it was a mix of roasting DINOF and Dan Howell which was nice to see, and what I wanted in an ideal situation. DINOF still really overpowered though, but maybe that's for the best. It's not like other YouTubers got very personal. The rapping was cringe, definitely needed to bite on my pillow for that several times, but I didn't expect anything else and I've heard even worse (like someone mentioned Grace was sooo bad).

One thing was strange to me though. Although he mentioned the overlap between people shipping Phan and his own popularity, he didn't acknowledge using that very same ship to massively cash in on the Dan and Phil brand they have established. Nothing about plugging merch, books and tours... Considering how big of a part that has been of Dan for the past year (even flooding DINOF with it), you'd think he'd at least throw a little shade at himself with a sell out joke or something. Is it because another book is due that he needs to sell? Would their publisher throw a bitch fit if he was negative about it? Or does he actually think it was so good that it wasn't worth roasting? jk.

The description made me roll my eyes btw. :roll: You can't stop our conspiracy theories and gossip Dan, stop trying.

Uuuugh I need sleep. I'll join y'all in waiting for danphil333 in spirit mkay?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Winston
flower crown

Sorry it’s so long….
I still don’t know how I feel about it. I still hate the whole concept of a roast yourself challenge. He did a good job, and covered topics I was happy/surprised about some of the things he did address. All of which have already been covered on here already. I have watched 3.5 RYCs. (Grace’s I had to stop and almost convulsed from all the cringe…delete it Grace, pretend it didn’t happen, we’d all like to join you) Dan’s however for this ‘genre’ (can it be called that?) was possibly the best. But it still left me feeling like I needed a cleanse of some kind. I get it, Dan can’t sit down and have a serious conversation, and that’s cool, but whole “don’t take any of this seriously” thing is such a cop out. I think perhaps it is his lack of confidence in some areas that just make it hard for me to enjoy. He acknowledges his fear of judgement, and that right there is the basis for so much of what we know of him, and what we don’t know. He, with that one statement made it so he can claim none of it was real, it just leaves it so opened. Yes, yes I know it is for the “lolz”, but the things he addressed are not things to laugh about really. It’s like a fat kid who always makes fat jokes about himself, so no one can do it first. (there was a guy in my highschool who did that all the time) and all that does for me is makes me sad for them. He (the kid from HS) was ashamed of himself and instead of just accepting it, and dealing with it, he would just make everyone aware how much he disliked himself. I think that is my main problem with the whole RYC. I don’t know if I expressed myself well, but hopefully some people can understand this long ass waffle….

fancybum wrote:
annetamiau wrote: Mainly this. Under spoiler cause it has to do with TATINOF:
I haven't seen the show but I've read all the spoilers and some parts are hella shipbaity if you ask me, especially the whole fanfiction segment.
Also, little things here and there that would be more fanservice than shipbait if it weren't for the big picture. For example: the 50 shades of Phan in the make up video or the dancing bit in the Brits last year.
OK so are they supposed to completely ignore the ship? Isn't that what everyone gets pissed at them for attempting in 2012? They can't ignore it, but they also can't acknowledge it, because one is homophobic and one is baiting apparently. I just don't understand where the line is because it's constantly on the move.

Friends (kind-of-)hosting an awards show could jokingly 'get caught' dancing in that context (it's a silly fun joke), but it's not cool for them to do it because other people tend to believe they're more than friends, and therefore doing things that maybe couples could also do crosses some intangible line? I maybe get the weirdness with the fan-fiction in the show, but it seems more like acknowledging something their fans do and having fun with it in the role of their online personas (and even being meta with a 'this is kind of weird' vibe as I understand it, having not actually seen the show). They should just ignore it all? And never touch each other, or make eye contact, lest somebody out there thinks they're getting the bait out?

I find it so frustrating, what specifically are they supposed to do? What are these rigid definitions and codes of conduct for same-sex friendship that people need to adhere to to be unproblematic at all times? idgi
To me they don’t shipbait that much at all. Not compared to some other big youtubers. (i.e. Joe and Caspar, Markiplier and Jacksepticeye, and Superfruit) D&P don’t just do it randomly for the lols or clickbait, which to me is telling (a little). The others I mentioned seem to get a kick out of the whole shipping idea, like it is so ridiculous, where the boys don’t do that. If you think about it, if they really wanted they could go down with the ship (yes bad pun but I had to) and completely capitalize on the shipbaity aspect of their popularity but they don’t. They do on occasion make comments or there is the TATINOF fanfiction, but it is so minor compared to the rest of the real stuff they do that it seems unimportant. I mean a lot of the time they go out of their way to not acknowledge or downplay anything that could point to an actual romantic relationship (Phil always using “I” instead of “we”, Just a casual trip of a lifetime with their bestie, and so many other examples). Point is they could really make some dough on it but they don't, why?

I can’t organize my thoughts today...I’m in some kind of funk so if none of this made sense take my advice I suggested for Grace, pretend it didn’t happen…. :?
actions speak louder than words
NoOneWantsATortoise
squish

karma_yeah wrote: What I didn't really get was the masturbating/pizza thing. Granted, I don't ever read people's comments or much of his twitter, but I haven't seen any references to that on tumblr, so it seemed out of place.
I assumed he added the line about masturbation because everyone else mentioned their lack of relationships, lack of being able to keep a relationship, roasted their actual relationship, roasted their viginity, and even Jenna Marbles (obviously in a well known relationship, also featured Julien in her vid) mentioned masturbating in hers. I think he just went with the "safest" option in terms of roasting his "love life". The 3 screencaps of video views, I assumed those were other roast yourself challenges and the one with 5 million+ views had stats closest to what Jenna's vid would've had when he filmed so he's probably seen it.

So I basically said all that just to say, he saw Jenna's vid and got the line idea from hers like he's(they've) gotten ideas from her in the past. Which is honestly interesting in and of itself because I can see Jenna not wanting to roast anything about her actual relationship either so maybe that's why he followed Jenna's lead.

Sorry this post is a mess, I honestly don't even know if I understand what I'm implying/trying to say here.
daphenaxa
blobfish

spaceguitar wrote: Ok so in some cases I agree with this. I think ages ago on gg I even made a similar post. But in this case I don't agree. I think 'persona' in reference to this video applies to the fact that Dan didn't really surprise anyone. That's bc everything he mentioned is already a piece of his persona. I mean people are thrilled bc he actually went there to an extent, but this vid was still centric on furries , procrastination, etc.
i agree he didn't really surprise anyone w new info but what i disagree is there is this huge separation between DINOF and actual Dan. I am pretty sure procrastination struggle and anxiety over it, is very much a Dan Howell thing. And like other things (example existential crisis) it was rehashed in the DINOF branding, and "ironically mentioned" to the point of ridiculing it but it doesn't make it any less a Dan Howell thing.

I understood the masturbation line as to say he is kind of a loser and that his life is actually really empty/boring/pathetic as he just masturbates, eats pizza and cry.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

daphenaxa wrote:
sweetmm wrote:Nothing new to offer in terms of information as I look at it as a parody of still DINOF and not Dan Howell.
honestly at this point I think people want to apply every personality trait they don't particularly like to danisnotonfire and pretend dan is a completely different person than he is. Danisnotonfire is not this complete unrelated entity, it is very much the real Dan but just super over the top and caricatured in a form of self preservation.
The reason being (for me) are private people and I had always accepted they are actors/performers on AP & DINOF; hence I take it as a production based on scripts, edits and acting. Especially on DINOF as Dan refers to it as a platform for his comedy. DINOF picks a current topic and produce a sketch for his channel and I salute him for his attempt at comedy (there are hits and misses, but this one I would say more towards a hit).

I do however catch a glimpse of Dan Howell in his ls and by miracle at times in DAPG. These are precious moments and maybe I am being sentimental but I feel would rather share them more subtly instead of putting themselves in the limelight/stage. I always feel TABINOF has glimpses of (especially Phil when he shares his private stuff) whereas TATINOF is closer to AP & DINOF.
idkm8
squish

I mean he obviously wasn't coming out in so many words blah blah everything's a joke so we can't be sure but I think it's actually a MASSIVE thing that he even acknowledged his ambiguousity and the speculation of his sexuality even if he's not specifically clarifying anything I personally feel like it was a giant step for him to say it's very up in the air and blurry esp on his main channel you know? it's nothing new for most people but from his PoV openly stating you're not exactly straight on a platform of nearly 6 million people has gotta be scary? either way I'm happy with how he dealt with it considering I didn't think he'd mention it AT ALL

regarding the 'phan' mention. I really don't think it was a denial, perhaps I've just got my goggles on too tight but he was simply acknowledging one of the biggest parts of his career and was just saying. 'yep. this is why I'm popular. everyone ships me, a good looking white guy with another good looking white guy. how basic' like ofc he's going to say friend wtf do you all expect him to say without completely baiting out his relationship (obvious disclaimer that this is from the point of view that they COULD be together who knows for sure etc)
I really wouldn't take it as a. wow lame you all think I am dating my FRIEND?? PFFT. but, again. I'm absolute trash so I could be completely delusional
uglyamerican
woodland creature

SquishPhan wrote: I definitely think that we, the audience, got roasted as well, and I'm more than okay with it.
Yea, buddy!
ironic
lady door

You wrote so many thoughtful posts I don't have much to add (I swear rushing to read what everybody says on idb makes everything D&P do like 1000% more fun) so I'll just talk about my feelings:
When he started with the remarks about being tall and having a posh voice I thought 'Oh no, there we go' but then shit got real and I think I cried, it was so much better than expected.
Bonus points for not saying the words 'existential crisis'. :lol:

Loved it, definitely going to rewatch it many times until the next video. ;)
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

greatnessflicker wrote:wow.

i've got nothing to add other than is this laptop new/old? I don't remember ever seeing one this dark/black.
Edit: nvm it just looks like the lighting is weird i guess
That's the MacBook Dan took on tour.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Hmmm straddling Dan on his knees???
felucca
truth bomb

Well that was surprisingly refreshing.

I expected nothing but non-serious Dan's a fail lol cringe awks memelord jokes, so excuse me while I'm over here doing happy cartwheels* because he decided to go realer than that. He actually went for his own throat - lots of well-justified stabs at how he handles his career on Youtube, and many other things ranging from his sexuality to his moral compass and ability to follow through on things (veganism). Those are real Dan Howell things; that's about him. And many of them were things he hasn't explicitly acknowledged before, never properly said out loud, and especially not in a main channel video.

^The only time I've ever found a doge reference funny. Cuz hey this shit is real.

Of course most of us "knew" all of this already because we're crazy religious followers of Dan and his liveshows and he's a very transparent person a lot of the time, but imo there's a huuuuuge difference between piecing together hints and half-alluded-to opinions over the course of months and years, and actually hearing that person just say it out loud as it is (under the guise of "comedy" lol yea ok Joe King).

My fave part was totally him dragging us, though.

i try so hard to be peaceful
and diplomatic
but i can't even make toast without tumblr calling me
problematic

Poetry. :sobs:

(Remember last year when we had moral breakdowns happening over on GG every. single. week. after Dan's liveshows over stupid shit no one even remembered by the next week anyway? Because I do. Vividly.)

*as opposed to sad cartwheels, obvs
Last edited by felucca on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
grannypants
living flop

sorry for being so late to the party (it's 2am and i just got up for work... yay) but i LOVED it.
dan is v self aware and knows how far to push the things he's referencing. i actually gasped out loud when he mentioned his sexuality and masturbating, like holy shit.
loved the video, love dan, love everything except the fact i can't sit on idb all day wah

well done danny boy

ps did he just come out??
"don't mind me, just having a little float" - dan howell
karma_yeah
philussy

NoOneWantsATortoise wrote:
karma_yeah wrote: What I didn't really get was the masturbating/pizza thing. Granted, I don't ever read people's comments or much of his twitter, but I haven't seen any references to that on tumblr, so it seemed out of place.
I assumed he added the line about masturbation because everyone else mentioned their lack of relationships, lack of being able to keep a relationship, roasted their actual relationship, roasted their viginity, and even Jenna Marbles (obviously in a well known relationship, also featured Julien in her vid) mentioned masturbating in hers. I think he just went with the "safest" option in terms of roasting his "love life". The 3 screencaps of video views, I assumed those were other roast yourself challenges and the one with 5 million+ views had stats closest to what Jenna's vid would've had when he filmed so he's probably seen it.

So I basically said all that just to say, he saw Jenna's vid and got the line idea from hers like he's(they've) gotten ideas from her in the past. Which is honestly interesting in and of itself because I can see Jenna not wanting to roast anything about her actual relationship either so maybe that's why he followed Jenna's lead.

Sorry this post is a mess, I honestly don't even know if I understand what I'm implying/trying to say here.

LOL, it's not a mess! It makes sense, and thanks for providing some "clarity" to Dan's "blurred" lines. :D

I knew there had to be something there that I wasn't getting. I don't watch any other youtubers (ok, maybe some Bry and Candice and PAINT) so I really didn't have a clue.
What goes around, comes around Image
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

of fucking course dan posts his best video in a long time basically the busiest day of my life, thanks m8

ok i'm late but let's do this anyway, all my opinions under the spoiler:
- let's get the phan out of the way:
smugpug wrote:What struck me about the shipping line is that he's referring to it in accordance with how he views his success. He's neither confirming nor denying what his relationship with Phil is (tho I guess that's debatable with the use of the word "friend") but he's saying that he feels like his success is mostly attributed to the fact that he's another white guy being shipped, not due to the effort or enthusiasm he puts into videos. I think it's way more critical of his public image than anything else.
that's exactly how i saw it, it doesn't change anything of what i think about their relationship (that being most likely together but i might be wrong)

- sexuality: you know, i was firmly in the dan is bi boat, but now I think he probably id's with an umbrella term like queer or simply as not-straight, the reason behind is that i used to think he was bi and on his way to coming out but if at this point in the ~coming out process~ he hasn't claimed a label it's probably because he simply doesn't want one

- that being said and obviously being aware that he's under no obligation to do it, it would feel nice if he explicitly said the words 'i'm not straight', like for my gay ass it is obvious, but the debate isn't gonna stop until he does

- parents mention: that's the only thing that truly surprised me, idk what to with this information, i never know how serious to take anything of what he has said about his parents, this is no exception

- the irrelevance and self doubt line is definitely my favorite, it hints at many things one of them being that he is his own worse enemy ('the hate is imaginary'), acceptance is the first step towards recovery or whatever, thank God he knows he over thinks his videos and how damaging that is for his online presence

- i'm surprised so many of you thought the masturbation part was about being single, that didn't even cross my mind, i thought it was about being... lame? idk
felucca wrote: Of course most of us "knew" all of this already because we're crazy religious followers of Dan and his liveshows and he's a very transparent person a lot of the time, but imo there's a huuuuuge difference between piecing together hints and half-alluded-to opinions over the course of months and years, and actually hearing that person just say it out loud as it is (under the guise of "comedy" lol yea ok Joe King).
yes exactly, i wasn't like 'omg this is brand new information' i was like 'omg he's choosing to share this explicitly with all of his audience not just his obsessive weirdos/fans', and idk that just feels refreshing, and even validating? like 'ok i'm not going insane we're all in the same page here [s]this dude isn't straight[/s]'

- overall great loved it, everything i wanted and more, it definitely makes up for how much i hated his previous video
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
Winston
flower crown

I'm amazed at how many people are surprised about the masturbation mention. It's such a vanilla thing to admit to. Almost everyone does it, healthy relationship or not. I mean really? He's 25 not 85 and not not interested in sex. Why wouldn't he?

Also my suspicions have come to fruition...today is the day we have had the most people on IDB since it's inception.
actions speak louder than words
albion
drama llama

a realistic gif of me watching the video:

fancybum
senpai

sweetmm wrote:
Hmmm straddling Dan on his knees???
Nah just typical Phil:
:tongue:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
blueapple_x
flower crown

I'm curious to see how everything will proceed from here now that he's acknowledged his ambiguous sexuality on the biggest platform he has.

Will he continue to make male attraction mentions? (probs lol) Will he make more female attraction mentions again? (?? mabes?). Basically I'm just wondering if he'll ever be more explicit/definite (like trashqueen says....saying "I'm not straight" or "I don't use labels"). Probably not anytime soon but in the future? Because acknowledging his ambiguity is one thing, but outright stating "I don't use labels" is something else imo.

Either way, I'm happy lol.