Dan & Phil Part 20: You are my Pikachu

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kuensukki
janice from the shop

I needed a night to formulate my thoughts about the video. Initially I loved it, it had the right amount of snark, humour, and honesty that I could expect from Dan. The tumblr part had me laughing out loud and I even rewatched in different speeds. :lol: He addressed his sexuality and the ambiguity which made me happy. It was a true drag and he did exceed my expectations about the video but I wasn't exactly mindblown as many here were. What bothered me most is how he addressed phan. (sorry missemma))

Ill put my thoughts under spoiler:
The way he handled the shipping really pissed me off. I thought about it last night. If he planned on roasting the fandom, boiling down to us shipping because they are two "cute white guys" is a an insult to my intelligence. I ship because I see countless evidence, slip ups, vday etc not because I desperately want it to be true, I just accept that it is and have now formed an attachment with it. It's not like they don't nurture that attachment. Fancybum you asked how should we expect them to act? Well how about we start with Dan not posting an "I am steamy" tweet than posting a picture of dinner with Phil. That literally blew the phandom up and later they clarified they were with their editors. Why not include that initially, why make it seem like it was only them? How about they don't put "draw me like a french girl" in their TATINOF show. How about they don't take a pic of themselves in Niagra and post "getting moist with Phil" when they were actually with the whole TATINOF crew. They have alluded countless times that something more was happening then went no-phano. Yes it sells and they really do get views from it so that statement was honest but I can't help feeling manipulated in the process. I'm not stupid and I'm not picking on straws when analyzing phan. I am painting a picture on all the evidence I see. It's almost hurtful to drag the people that ship them and equate them to "oh these boys look cute" because that really isn't the case and they are aware. They are aware of the tweets formsprings, vday, timelines yet it's completely ignored in this statement. I don't expect them to confirm or deny anything, just stop manipulating with emotions then completely backtrack again. We are always back on square one with the boys and its honestly pretty tiring.
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

spaceguitar wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoSV4ZAVYAA-Uzz.jpg
An interesting roast I found on Twitter
I love this. Drag, Dan. Now, can someone make a video on this.
kuensukki wrote:I needed a night to formulate my thoughts about the video. Initially I loved it, it had the right amount of snark, humour, and honesty that I could expect from Dan. The tumblr part had me laughing out loud and I even rewatched in different speeds. :lol: He addressed his sexuality and the ambiguity which made me happy. It was a true drag and he did exceed my expectations about the video but I wasn't exactly mindblown as many here were. What bothered me most is how he addressed phan. (sorry missemma))

The way he handled the shipping really pissed me off. I thought about it last night. If he planned on roasting the fandom, boiling down to us shipping because they are two "cute white guys" is a an insult to my intelligence. I ship because I see countless evidence, slip ups, vday etc not because I desperately want it to be true, I just accept that it is and have now formed an attachment with it. It's not like they don't nurture that attachment. Fancybum you asked how should we expect them to act? Well how about we start with Dan not posting an "I am steamy" tweet than posting a picture of dinner with Phil. That literally blew the phandom up and later they clarified they were with their editors. Why not include that initially, why make it seem like it was only them? How about they don't put "draw me like a french girl" in their TATINOF show. How about they don't take a pic of themselves in Niagra and post "getting moist with Phil" when they were actually with the whole TATINOF crew. They have alluded countless times that something more was happening then went no-phano. Yes it sells and they really do get views from it so that statement was honest but I can't help feeling manipulated in the process. I'm not stupid and I'm not picking on straws when analyzing phan. I am painting a picture on all the evidence I see. It's almost hurtful to drag the people that ship them and equate them to "oh these boys look cute" because that really isn't the case and they are aware. They are aware of the tweets formsprings, vday, timelines yet it's completely ignored in this statement. I don't expect them to confirm or deny anything, just stop manipulating with emotions then completely backtrack again. We are always back on square one with the boys and its honestly pretty tiring.
Thank you! I don't know why I felt bad about Phan in that roast.
tigertatze
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

Have you guys seen this yet?
#nohetero
annetamiau
lady door

kuensukki wrote: Ill put my thoughts under spoiler:
I agree 100%.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
Winston
flower crown

kuensukki wrote:I needed a night to formulate my thoughts about the video. Initially I loved it, it had the right amount of snark, humour, and honesty that I could expect from Dan. The tumblr part had me laughing out loud and I even rewatched in different speeds. :lol: He addressed his sexuality and the ambiguity which made me happy. It was a true drag and he did exceed my expectations about the video but I wasn't exactly mindblown as many here were. What bothered me most is how he addressed phan. (sorry missemma))

Well said.
actions speak louder than words
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

IMO his line about shippers was just an acknowledgement that his popularity heavily relies on being shipped with Phil, so roasting himself, not the phandom

Also, while your reason for shipping them is based on facts, there are people who just want them to be together because they think they are cute together.
Whether there is a reason to really believe in phan or not, he didn't touch on that. There's a difference between shipping and actually believing they are together. You can do both, but you can also do one without the other.
And to the rest of your post: They did spend YEARS trying to convince the internet they weren't together by hiding everything that could maybe be interpreted as phan and all they got was an angry phandom and nobody believed them anyway. IMO they just gave up trying so hard. I don't believe they ever tried to make something look "phan", like the steamy dinner incident and the niagara falls. They hardly ever show who they are with.
And when they actually reference phan it's alway a very obvious joke.
Tatinof is about the phandom, so i get why they include shipping and phanfiction.
Even as someone who doesn't ship them, i still prefer their more relaxed attitudes now to the tense deppy-phandom relationship a few years ago.
corn flakes
moon room

wtfamidoinghere wrote:
IMO his line about shippers was just an acknowledgement that his popularity heavily relies on being shipped with Phil, so roasting himself, not the phandom

Also, while your reason for shipping them is based on facts, there are people who just want them to be together because they think they are cute together.
Whether there is a reason to really believe in phan or not, he didn't touch on that. There's a difference between shipping and actually believing they are together. You can do both, but you can also do one without the other.
And to the rest of your post: They did spend YEARS trying to convince the internet they weren't together by hiding everything that could maybe be interpreted as phan and all they got was an angry phandom and nobody believed them anyway. IMO they just gave up trying so hard. I don't believe they ever tried to make something look "phan", like the steamy dinner incident and the niagara falls. They hardly ever show who they are with.
Tatinof is about the phandom, so i get why they include shipping and phanfiction.
Even as someone who doesn't ship them, i still prefer their more relaxed attitudes now to the tense deppy-phandom relationship a few years ago.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
Maraeni
phillion/danosaur <//3

psssshhhhhhh!
"Right now, you are breathing manually.
You're welcome!"
Michael "Mike" Estrin
kuensukki
janice from the shop

wtfamidoinghere wrote:

I'm not asking them to go all platonic bros on me. I'm asking them to stop manipulating. Dan could've easily wrote a platonic fanfiction but no he wrote a vampire one with sexual undertones. They could have easily clarified about the steamy Chinese date but they didn't until much later and I can't help but believe it was intentional. Yea I'm happy they aren't denying etc. but they are keeping ambiguity because it benefits them and there's no refuting that. "Cute white boys that are kawaii" are jasper not phan. The phanbase wouldn't be as big or dedicated if it was. I'm totally for keeping their relationship private and I agree that there is a distinction between the shippers and "they are together" camp but the addressing seemed condescending to me. They are responsible for the phandom, they made the tweets, the videos, the comments so they should own up to it instead of brushing us off. He could have easily roasted his popularity to phan by mentioning "heart eyes" or something of that nature. The way he did it just didn't sit well with me

Also it encourages this from the non shippers:
Last edited by kuensukki on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silverwinter
spork

Hey guys, I mainly lurk here, but I've been coming across something since Dan's video was posted that's...interesting, to say the least.

http://sleepless-lester.tumblr.com/post ... -a-joke-he

This Tumblr post is just one example because I've seen this all over social media since yesterday, and I find it quite interesting how the Phandom is reacting to the sexuality comment. I also read the comment as Dan not wanting to identify with any labels, but posts like this (and I've seen a LOT of them) seem to say that we shouldn't assume anything about Dan's sexuality because the comment was made in (apparently) a "jokey" manner.

Like to me, the video cleared up any possible confusion there could have been regarding Dan's sexuality. There's nothing ambiguous about Dan's sexuality anymore - anyone with some amount of higher critical-thinking skills can hear that comment (in addition to the clip with the box and "society's comprehension") and understand that, hidden beneath the joke, Dan wants us to understand that he doesn't label his sexuality. With the J-Law and Evan Peters comment, it's clear that Dan's hinting towards liking two genders (as he has time and time again). So I see a person who is attached to more than one gender yet doesn't want to restrict himself with a society-created label, and I think this is made quite obvious in this video.

So what I don't get is why people are so hesitant to acknowledge this? in this post I linked, the author stated not to identify Dan with any labels (ex. bi) because what he said was a "joke". I don't get it. What part was a "joke"? The comment about not liking labels? If that's a joke, then this post contradicts itself. Or are they talking about the celebrity crushes part? If that's a joke, then it's pretty ignorant and demeaning to assume that Dan liking two genders is something to brush under the rug, like it doesn't matter. Not to mention that it's erasure and kind of gross.

I agree that we shouldn't label Dan's sexuality based off of what he said in that video and a lot of the Phandom agrees, but we seemed to have different reasonings as to why that is. I believe this because Dan himself stated it, but others just think that...the comments were jokes and that we still don't know shit about Dan's sexuality and...I think we clearly do??? I swear, some people need Dan to make an actual coming out video with him stating a million times over that he's attracted to both men and women but prefers not to label himself before people start believing as such (and then some people still won't believe him). It's just frustrating and feels like dismissal/erasure to me.

And if this is all because of Dan's disclaimer in the description of the video, then that makes people hypocritical again because some people sure don't want to take other parts of the video as jokes.

*I'm also not talking about every person in the Phandom, just a general consensus amongst many members.*

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
mez29
procrastinator

Maraeni wrote: psssshhhhhhh!
Dan looks like he's accidentally picking his nose
Maraeni
phillion/danosaur <//3

HAHAH! that made me lol for real! He DOES!!!!!!!!
(not saying anything about the video, because pretty much everybody covered every possible angle to look at it, and i needed to get the courage to watch it, which just happened a few hours ago. But i have to say i was pleasantly surprised)
"Right now, you are breathing manually.
You're welcome!"
Michael "Mike" Estrin
neon
not a first-time poster

As with everyone else, I've watched the roast video literally a billion times and I keep coming back to the same thing that bothers me: the sunglasses.

In discussing what Dan says out loud I think we've ignored the fact that we can't actually see the things he doesn't say. Without sounding all amateur psychology etc, the decision to hide his eyes is pretty interesting. I know it goes with the whole "rapper" thing he talks about appropriating, but I can't help but feel like he also did it so we couldn't see what the most important half of his face was doing when he spoke (we could even argue that they act as a kind of mask here). This is Dan after all, and I'm convinced that this was a deliberate choice on his part. The whole thing would probably be easier to decipher if only we could see what exactly his eyes are doing.

I'm typing this and realising how wild the whole idea sounds, but that's what this forum is for right? :?
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

I've literally only just realised his name actually is DJ Howell and I feel like an idiot for not realising that also, the fact he's wearing that awful fedora in the hater thought bubble is unreasonably funny to me.

Neon, I think that's an interesting viewpoint about the sunglasses, but I think he probably did it just because combined with the jacket is does look like a stereotypical 90s rapper outfit, I'm surprised he didn't put a cap on but then the fringe/hair jokes wouldn't have worked as well. Also, he's probably still feeling a bit rough from the pneumonia (hence the auto tuning in some parts) so maybe he knew he looked a bit tired? Idk, that's just what I thought maybe?
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

kuensukki wrote:
wtfamidoinghere wrote:

I'm not asking them to go all platonic bros on me. I'm asking them to stop manipulating. Dan could've easily wrote a platonic fanfiction but no he wrote a vampire one with sexual undertones. They could have easily clarified about the steamy Chinese date but they didn't until much later and I can't help but believe it was intentional. Yea I'm happy they aren't denying etc. but they are keeping ambiguity because it benefits them and there's no refuting that. "Cute white boys that are kawaii" are jasper not phan. The phanbase wouldn't be as big or dedicated if it was. I'm totally for keeping their relationship private and I agree that there is a distinction between the shippers and "they are together" camp but the addressing seemed condescending to me. They are responsible for the phandom, they made the tweets, the videos, the comments so they should own up to it instead of brushing us off. He could have easily roasted his popularity to phan by mentioning "heart eyes" or something of that nature. The way he did it just didn't sit well with me
It's your opinion that they are manipulating, fair enough. I just disagree, because, to stick with the dinner example, i doubt they were aware of the phandom connecting the steamy shower with the dinner. Maybe they never planned to tell us who they were with, but when the phandom freaked out they decided otherwise, who knows. I wouldn't judge them based on assumptions

Anyway, i'm excited for the ls
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

imo it's kind of naive to not think that a lot (possibly even a majority) of shippers like phan because they think it's hot/cute. just look at the amount of people who will use 'but look at how they look at each other!!!' as their primary proof to realise that the ~proof~ we acknowledge here isn't always well known. this is a site for discussing that stuff, obviously people here look at this evidence. elsewhere there are people who believe in phan or just want it to be real but don't even know some of the most basic stuff we acknowledge here, like them at some point identifying as bi.

i loved the video tho lmao. as much as it was Bad Rapping and totally done in a comedic way, i actually liked that his general rhythm was more pro and thought out than some of the others even in a joke, you can tell he listens to a lot of rap music and actually put effort into this in what he said and how he put it across
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

Are you guys able to watch the LS? It booted me off and now it says it's full. :(
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
sassyinamorata
banned

HE SAID HOWDY TO INDEPTHBANTS WE DID IT IM SO HAPPY
slytherina
squish

WHOEVER SENT THAT PREEM ABOUT IDB I LOVE YOU

I'm not sorry, but I think Phil is :lol:
oribanana
smol bean

i like don't post here but dan just said hi to indepthbants and i lol'd
phamnotof
morning quiff

who did that reveal yourself oh god
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

Whoever you are, you cheeky fuck

His reaction was a smirk, a lean, and a hi. No asking what that is, just a smile and a hello.

HI DAN.
idkm8
squish

I won't write an actual review until he's done but ... the idb notice actually made me freeze for a minute
slytherina
squish

"Any attempt to analyse it (the RYC) is just hurting yourself"

Oh hey Dan. How coincident that you said hi to IDB a minute ago

I'm not sorry, but I think Phil is :lol:
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

Everyone is spamming 'wtf even is your sexuality' and I'm so uncomfortqble