Dan & Phil Part 20: You are my Pikachu

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

syzygy wrote:did i really just witness dan pretend to smash a glass

do it for the content bby
No, I think we just witnessed Dan purposefully smashing a glass. The rebel.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Rigby
lady door

missemma wrote:
bluewho wrote:
To preface, I don't see a problem with fanservice.
However, in my view posting about skyping with Phil, and having to buy more cereal because Phil ate his cereal, and asking Phil why he is not with him and then posting that online, is fanservice - because he knows they eat the domestic stuff up. It's 'kawaii', and phan related.
I'm not saying these things aren't a natural part of their life and routine, or that there is anything wrong with them doing fanservice.
I'm just wondering if they are partly doing it to promote the book?
Yup I agree with everything you said. He just posted stuff he knows the fandom will be interested in seeing, therefore downloading the app and making Instagram money, I mean lbr that's what he's been paid to do. Nothing wrong with it though, it's his job.

I think a lot of the things they do is to promote stuff they've got coming up. They know what they're doing, they're very smart and clever people (again this isn't meant in a bad way at all).
I agree with these, and it's partly what I meant to say. I'm not saying they're terrible people for doing it. It's just that, FOR ME, it makes it a bit less enjoyable.
visiblelurker
delia smith

IckleMissMayhem wrote:

Ahh but I'm living for the high-pitched fffuuuCKK at the end
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

My London trip is messing with my ability to stay up until some ungodly hour to fangirl and check IDB so let's do that now that I have some free time.

First things first; Undertale. I have no idea what's going on and I don't care for it anymore so I was kinda bored. But I still get 45+ minutes of D&P being cute and most importantly Phil looks so damn good in black. It works so well for him. Phil in general was the shining star of this video actually, I like it when he's laidback like that. Maybe he was bored with Undertale like me, I dunno. But he was great. I loved their domestic talk about coffee and tea with Phil mimicking Dan complaining about his drinks being too hot. Dan had his moments too but left less of an impression on me. Also idc if Phil barely ever playing on their Dan AND PHIL Games was decided between them for the 'roles' they play, because it's still dumb. I enjoy Phil making sassy comments while being kinda bored with shit like in this video, but that's often not how it goes. :sideeye:

Dan is cute with his Instagram Stories adventure. He definitely has a deal with Insta there but idc if we're gonna get some content out of it. I hope it lasts, gimme all the cute domestic shit. Blah blah blah fanservice, it has been confirmed for years they they call and Skype each other when apart for years. He just filmed it this time.

I feel like first announcing it on YouNow then uploading a seperate announcement to YouTube could be the right way to go for the 2nd book. That ~epic~ announcement video for the first one didn't go over that well with a big part of the phandom, despite all the effort put into it. People felt like it was very impersonal and that didn't exactly help the selling out accusations. So taking a personal approach like that could help.

[offtopic]I showed my friend the Voldy vid (she knew of it's existence but never actually saw it) and I think she's a little in shock. And very convinced that it Phan was real at some point.[/offtopic]
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
uglyamerican
woodland creature

I just updated the Instagram app on my iPhone, but I'm not seeing any of Dan's new content - must not be rolled out to my phone / my region yet :x
bluewho
truth bomb

mez29 wrote:I'm sorry but I find the "corporations tweeting about phan" thing really cringey and unprofessional. Not only do they probably not actually give a shit and are just trying to appeal to the kidz with it, but … these are massive companies? they're on twitter for business reasons? They're not private individuals, they shouldn't be giving the message that the company has some kind of official stance on whether or not two people are in a relationship.
I agree with this. It's just such a blatant marketing ploy :roll:
daphenaxa
blobfish

i am so happy dan and phil are now using instagram stories to put out new content and talk to me some more about cereals (and pretend to break glasses in accident in the most tragic acting display i have seen in a while lol) :thumb:

undertale: I liked it. both dan and phil were super cute in it and going in with the bants. Dan's reaction to Phil's "stroking the sword" or whatever he said killed me. However I have always been on team that undertake game is boring as fuck, and this episode was especially bland in terms of gameplay. As someone said, I hope they do an undertale marathon to finish it and we can be rid of it and have them play something a bit more interesting next.
For that convo "let phil play" i am honestly If they are playing a PC game i honestly much prefer that Dan plays because he is better at it/more used to the keyboard etc. I still remember when Phil played FNAF, it wasn't too good. He doesn't seem to want to play anyways (except some particular times and then he just does like for the Undyne fight)

Finebros video (not sure when it was, probably not relevant anymore): was terrible just as every other finebros video ever.

Dan in the guildwars video: GOD BLESS
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

I also feel weird about the insta video thing and can't motivate myself to care about it. I just don't see why them doing something solely for money is cute. Also if Dan just purposely broke a glass that is pathetic
eevee
emo goose

IckleMissMayhem wrote:

Yeah it looked fake af :sideeye: did he run out of story ideas?
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
starlight-still
truth bomb

mez29 wrote:I'm sorry but I find the "corporations tweeting about phan" thing really cringey and unprofessional. Not only do they probably not actually give a shit and are just trying to appeal to the kidz with it, but … these are massive companies? they're on twitter for business reasons? They're not private individuals, they shouldn't be giving the message that the company has some kind of official stance on whether or not two people are in a relationship.
My initial reaction to it was exactly the same. Then I started thinking about how actually earn a living and...well, we've heard Phil mention Applebee's/IHOP a dozen times and notice how Skype was right on it with those tweets. I adore those two dorks as much as anyone else but I never quite forget that, at the end of the day, they're marketeers. This is not a condemnation of them or their work or creativity - clearly something about their way of approaching it keeps so many of us hooked. Lemons, lemonade. And I even count myself among those who've tried or done something that they've mentioned. But it's difficult to ignore the impact that some of their sources of income has on the choices they make as well as what we're exposed to about them (and in what way) and what remains hidden.

So, going back to the tweets, I can't imagine that the companies would be able to get away with it without being complicit or involved in some way, shape, or form. They may not want to talk about it themselves and, privately, they may not even be that thrilled about it being used in the way that it is here (I can't imagine that they would be, especially Dan) but they know it holds their audience. These cringey af tweets are still a bit slimy...but they aren't about Dan Howell and Phil Lester; they're about the world-touring, book publishing, radio hosting, astronomical chemistry-possessing duo "Dan and Phil." As said in several other recent posts, they're no fools when it comes to their brand.

Edit: Dang it, I realize I probably should've put a roll-y eye face or something on my other post
daphenaxa
blobfish

spaceguitar wrote:I also feel weird about the insta video thing and can't motivate myself to care about it. I just don't see why them doing something solely for money is cute. Also if Dan just purposely broke a glass that is pathetic
well the thing is, how do you know it is solely for money??
Yeah it seems pretty obvious they are getting paid but there was a HUGE demand from the phandom to get snapchat which they didn't want to do because it is yet another social media to update etc. but since they already have instagram it is easier for them and still makes the phandom happy. Maybe they also want to try to post new kinds of content, keep up with the trend and stay relevant etc.etc. To me, there is no proof that it is only for money.

But then again, if they keep uploading insta stories I really hope they up the content, for my personal sanity. It hasn't happened on any of their other channels and accounts though so I am pretty sure I can dream lol.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

daphenaxa wrote:
spaceguitar wrote:I also feel weird about the insta video thing and can't motivate myself to care about it. I just don't see why them doing something solely for money is cute. Also if Dan just purposely broke a glass that is pathetic
well the thing is, how do you know it is solely for money??
Yeah it seems pretty obvious they are getting paid but there was a HUGE demand from the phandom to get snapchat which they didn't want to do because it is yet another social media to update etc. but since they already have instagram it is easier for them and still makes the phandom happy. Maybe they also want to try to post new kinds of content, keep up with the trend and stay relevant etc.etc. To me, there is no proof that it is only for money.

But then again, if they keep uploading insta stories I really hope they up the content, for my personal sanity. It hasn't happened on any of their other channels and accounts though so I am pretty sure I can dream lol.
i read that taylor swift is apparently doing it too (i don't have the update to check), and like her or not, you can't deny she's a business woman and in for the money (nothing wrong w that), so i'm pretty sure facebook/instagram didn't shy away from giving out big sums of $$$$

deppy seemed to be pretty disinterested on snapchat even before they started downright saying they wouldn't get one, which makes sense considering it's a type of dailyvlogging and they are allergic to those as well, so yeah, more poof (imo) that fb/ig is paying them (or dan? lol who am i kidding) a considerable amount

and yeah maybe t swift got a better deal for being t swift, but let's not forget that if we trust socialblade dan gets almost as many retweets and likes on average as she does on tw, and that's what fb/ig are looking for i guess, an engaged audience willing to check the function out, so the $$$ difference might not be much

so tl,dr: i would consider them doing it 'not only for the money' if it wasn't so closely related to daily vlogging and that being deppy's number one public enemy, and if it wasn't because i believe fb/ig is paying REALLY big sums (that i hope get leaked eventually c'mon internet don't let me down)
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
bluewho
truth bomb

IckleMissMayhem wrote:Soz skype, but I call BS on Phil still being away. Train tweet yesterday, plus black/v. dark couch in front of white wall? He's in the sodding gaming room!
I would be interested to know other people's opinion's on this? I never notice things like background enough to make a judgement.
starlight-still wrote:So, going back to the tweets, I can't imagine that the companies would be able to get away with it without being complicit or involved in some way, shape, or form.
If the picture we are painting is:

D+P visit instagram

Instagram says 'Please can you post domestic phan-related stuff to promote our new snapchat rip off, here's ££££'.

D+P accept

D+P approach Skype/ Skype approach D+P - deal is made to include that in the not-snapchat.

D+P post fanservice domestic phan-related not-snapchats, which are day in the life themed which they usually avoid, featuring Phil in the gaming room so they can construct the illusion they are skyping.

D smashes glass because he runs out of ideas and doesn't give a fuck anymore

^ then yes I agree that's bleak. But even I have to stretch my mind all the way over to the v. negative, cynical, side to come up with that. I don't necessarily think that's how it happened.

I actually enjoyed the not-snapchats, I thought they were cute
Last edited by bluewho on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majitzu
angel bean

Do you really think Dan just purposely broke a glass when he knows that he have to clean the mess? too much no?
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

bluewho wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Soz skype, but I call BS on Phil still being away. Train tweet yesterday, plus black/v. dark couch in front of white wall? He's in the sodding gaming room!
I would be interested to know other people's opinion's on this? I never notice things like background enough to make a judgement.
starlight-still wrote:So, going back to the tweets, I can't imagine that the companies would be able to get away with it without being complicit or involved in some way, shape, or form.
If the picture we are painting is:

D+P visit instagram

Instagram says 'Please can you post domestic phan-related stuff to promote our new snapchat rip off, here's ££££'.

D+P accept

D+P approach Skype/ Skype approach D+P - deal is made to include that in the not-snapchat.

D+P post fanservice domestic phan-related not-snapchats, which are day in the life themed which they usually avoid, featuring Phil in the gaming room so they can construct the illusion they are skyping.

D smashes glass because he runs out of ideas and doesn't give a fuck anymore
^ then yes I agree that's bleak. But even I have to stretch my mind all the way over to the v. negative, cynical, side to come up with that. I don't necessarily think that's how it happened.

I actually enjoyed the not-snapchats, I thought they were cute

I don't think Skype is involved in any of this. Dan & Phil have used Skype before and use it today just like everyone else in society. Skype's social engagement team is more than within their rights to take full advantage of D&P snapping (or whatever it's called) them. Who wouldn't? Guild Wars 2 calls Dan out when he mentions them. Literally any other brand would too and if D&P are giving them the free promo, then why not?

All that being said, every single clip of Dan's was over-acting and the glass smashing was prefaced with "My day hasn't been going great, but now all I'm doing is making a drink..." I mean that's literally asking for a ~coincidental glass shattering~ The guy's willing to go to lengths for content tbh and I would too if Instagram was shelling out the cash.
blueapple_x
flower crown

After the documentary/tatinof/second book shenanigans are all done, I wonder if D+P will continue with the spon opportunities. I won't be surprised if they have another big project lined up.
fancy_nancy
phabergé

what a cutie :D
mez29
procrastinator

rizzo wrote:I don't think Skype is involved in any of this. Dan & Phil have used Skype before and use it today just like everyone else in society. Skype's social engagement team is more than within their rights to take full advantage of D&P snapping (or whatever it's called) them. Who wouldn't? Guild Wars 2 calls Dan out when he mentions them. Literally any other brand would too and if D&P are giving them the free promo, then why not?
Yeah, but there's a difference between "we invited Dan to our studio and made a video with him you can watch it cool look #content"—or even "Dan tweeted us"—and "Dan and Phil happen to be using our software which literally millions of other people also use, and we're going to directly tweet their fans heavily hinting that our corporate position involves shipping them".

If they actually have spoken to Skype and said "we're about to post these tweets, get ready to say some ambiguous stuff about how cute we are together, ps now pay us", that is a really terrible level of fanservice/moneygrabbing. I'd like to think they have some integrity.
starlight-still wrote:These cringey af tweets are still a bit slimy...but they aren't about Dan Howell and Phil Lester; they're about the world-touring, book publishing, radio hosting, astronomical chemistry-possessing duo "Dan and Phil." As said in several other recent posts, they're no fools when it comes to their brand.
True. It's not D&P I feel sorry for here, it's whichever of the fans are impressionable enough to think "Skype ships it" and to get excited about Skype finding their tweets and replying to them. I really don't enjoy the idea of big business getting involved in fandom in that way.
fancy_nancy
phabergé

oops double post sorry i saw this and isnt it hilarious
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

fancy_nancy wrote:oops double post sorry i saw this and isnt it hilarious
Sorry but who is she? (No Sass. Genuinely curious.)
spider
ar·tic·u·late

Dan's snap story was cute but he shouldn't think that gets him and Phil off the hook for a real DITL. Give us the domesticity boys.

Excited for the ls tomorrow. Don't care what product he wants to spon. Market to us. Sell that book or tour or whatever. Seeing Deppy being capable business men makes me feel all tingly.
Diyes_Celine wrote:Sorry but who is she? (No Sass. Genuinely curious.)
Someone who was involved in the hacking Dan hoax. Don't care enough to remember her real role. She tried to troll IDB a few days ago but nobody took her seriously so now she's whining about it.
Last edited by spider on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
fancy_nancy
phabergé

Diyes_Celine wrote:
Sorry but who is she? (No Sass. Genuinely curious.)
its the girl who was saying she hacked dan and was going to leak his info or something like that :roll:
eevee
emo goose

bluewho wrote:D+P visit instagram

I do think something like this happened, but I don't think instagram specifically told them to be domestic or cute or bait phan. Can you imagine an instagram bigwig saying to two grown men "we want you to act coupley on camera"? I just don't see it. I think they knew D&P had a dedicated audience no matter what they do, so they asked them to use their story feature, paid them, and let them take it from there.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
danisnotonphil
squish
Pronouns: She/her

wow finally caught up with all this, took me a while; personally i think everything they've done lately is at least 50% fanservice-y yknow it's their job in a way and they -specially Dan-definitely know what gets the phandom going and what drives yall crazy, they had a book and a tour to sell and if they're releasing another book plus a european leg of tatinof, well, they gotta keep selling that, i've no problem with it tbh, i know what i signed up for with them lol

gotta say tho, i don't think Dan went to IoM with Phil and i think it's stretching it to assume their office is the only possible room with a white wall in front of which Phil could possibly sit down for a skype call but maybe that's just me, i've seen lots of white walls before
Always lurking, rarely posting
spider
ar·tic·u·late

Continue the bants here.