Dan & Phil Part 20: You are my Pikachu

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

Credit: crisshowell - tumblr

Credit: adorablehowell - tumblr

Recent discussions:
Phils liveshow
Dans next roast yourself video
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Philena
blobfish

Missed the thread change. Oops!
To summarize myself:
Dan's roast will either be epic or incredibly cringe
Phil has been way more Dan-centric. Strikingly so.
fancybum
senpai

I was really hoping he wouldn't do the Roast Yourself challenge. I think pewdiepie's video on it perfectly explains why (it's embarrassing to watch, people who can't rap: please stop trying to rap) and Dan must have seen that, right? My reaction to the few of them I watched was '...no. why.'

But he's self-aware to a fault, so maybe he'll do it in a way that doesn't make me want to literally stab my eyes out (and I am interested in how far he'll go with the obvious options.... what will get a mention and what will be avoided.....). If Phil was enthusiastic about it, then I'm sure it won't involve him in any uncomfortable ways.

edit: this would never happen, but I just gave myself a big problematic laugh at the thought of Dan recreating Kanye's gross video but with Youtubers
Last edited by fancybum on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

His self-awareness is what's keeping my head in the game with the Roast Yourself challenge, that and the fact that this is the one he's been planning it for a while now because of the pneumonia. He should have thought about it enough to realise what the best approach would be (an actually roasting of Daniel Howell by Daniel Howell instead of a mockery of DINOF which we've heard a million times before).

Also, I thought Dan had negative opinions surrounding challenge videos. Aren't they unoriginal and boring?
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~
000dia000
emo goose

I say with Dan's new video (if it is a roast yourself challenge) he'll probably disappoint, I imagine he'll be reluctant to disclose anything too real or true, even if it's common knowledge. It was a surprise earlier this year that he acknowledged the editing tips meme. If Phil was helping him out I wonder if Phil makes an appearance or is just helping in the technicality of it.

Why are they always late with the video trends?

If Dan is actually releasing a rap album inspired by Kanye I s2g this is what it will be:
This is my 100th post
:cactus:
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

000dia000 wrote:
If Dan is actually releasing a rap album inspired by Kanye I s2g this is what it will be:
This is my 100th post
The "Baking :|" from Phil always gets me
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

Something is up with the gears of the forum and it wont let me post my well-structured response.

Anyways, HYPE!

Last edited by Anonymousse on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

lilMango
morning quiff

Maybe he'll put a ~twist~ on it somehow
Or it'll just be cringey and bland
(wow I feel quite bitter today oh well)
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I agree with other who have said Dan roasting himself is either going to be epic or an epic fail. I can't see it falling anywhere in the middle. I'm actually looking forward to finding out which it will be.

I wonder if he'll make reference to Phan or at least his "ambiguous" sexuality. Too me Dan roasting himself and completely ignoring the 6+ years of speculation that's literally hounded him over both would be ignoring the elephant in the room so even if it's only a few lines I'd like to see him actually acknowledge it somehow.

And Trashqueen yes I agree with you about Emma's roast yourself. I went in not expecting or wanting to like it but had to begrudgingly admit she really nailed it. Hers is my favourite out of all the ones I've seen and kind of what I hope Dan's could be. (After all the shade she gets for copying Dan there's got to be some irony in me now wishing his next video can be like one of hers. :lol: )

Although even if Dan comes up with funny and on point raps his lack of actual ability in the rapping area might be what lets him down and means it's doomed to be an awkward mess no matter what.
bluewho
truth bomb

Anonymousse wrote:omg let me post forum
ikr
missemma wrote:
Yaaaassss I don't care if he stays on brand it'll still be funny. I don't really expect him to tackle the phan issue, but if he does it will be amazing.
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

missemma wrote:
Dans next roast yourself video
I'm looking forward to that video, like everybody else I'm hoping he will dig a bit deeper in his roasting than "i'm so awkward lol", I wonder what the beat of the video will sound like and if he's going to actually rap :lol: :lol:

(hi btw I haven't posted in ages)

edit : it was too funny to me to not share it
:biheart:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

bluewho wrote:
missemma wrote:
Yaaaassss I don't care if he stays on brand it'll still be funny. I don't really expect him to tackle the phan issue, but if he does it will be amazing.
Same. I'm not really expecting him to mention it, but will gladly be proven wrong.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

No doubt we will get:
Llamas
Placenta
Phil trash #1
Whisk
Memes
Not going outside
#spon
Maltesers
Daily booths
Haru
Kanye
Hi, my name is Dan
Poor uploading schedule
?something about sexuality (maybe I'm not 100% sure)

At least included in the video. In fact maybe we should have a little competiton to see who can call the most things he's going to mention in there. My list is above.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

While a Roast Yourself video would continue Dan's fairly new tradition of finally doing shit after the hype is over (React To Childhood Videos, React To Old Videos, Message To My Younger Self..) I'm really hoping that's not what it is. Especially not if Dan is gonna do it as an attempt at rapping because that would potentially be the first DINOF video I would click away. I'm cringing at the thought of it.

Besides, only a few people really have made a Roast that was worth watching imo. Most barely scratch the surface of their issues because YouTubers + genuine self reflection isn't exactly a combo you see very often. 99% will you a hater if you dare criticize them after all. Now I don't think Dan is like that, but he's just so... soft? Or his current public image is anyway. And I doubt he'd completely turn that around in one video instead of over time (if he actually wants to change it). So I don't think a Roast from him will be that good. It would probably be a typical DINOF video with 'I'm socially awkward/a nerd/a meme' with some stuff about procrastination and never going outside, possibly with some profound conclusion as ending because Dan can't help himself. Just with Roast Yourself Challenge in the title. Nah thanks. (Just to clarify, I don't hate Dan's instant video recipe despite being a bit negative about it here, but it's about as far from a RYC you can get.)

Now if Dan would actually properly roast himself (still without any attempts at a song though plz no), that would be amazing but I just don't have that type of faith in him. I'll gladly convert if it turns out to actually be good tho. :thumb:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
vincentian
hobbit hair

Excited to see if Dan manages to come up with witty up-to-date text (if it's indeed the Roast challenge), but not excited about the production (good Roast challenges I saw were recorded professionally and from Phil's ls it seems they filmed themselves at home) or Dan's (possible) rapping. At least Dan can say that he wasn't uploading to dinof for two months so he could truthfully roast himself for this. :D

Phil's distracted mood in today's live show made for funny random sentences, I laughed several times. Also Phil's one stern "how selfish of him" about Dan's pneumonia and not filming a gaming video sooner has probably more effect than Dan coughing through his last 2 ls. ;) Angel bean powers.
Last edited by vincentian on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fancy_nancy
phabergé

I'm so so so excited for this aaaahhhh!!! I agree with everyone else: it's either going to be absolutely hilarious or a flop but I actually trust Dan, so I have really high hopes for this :D (and if it's horrible you can all laugh at me for being such dan trash :lol: )
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

pearshaped34 wrote: I wonder if he'll make reference to Phan or at least his "ambiguous" sexuality. Too me Dan roasting himself and completely ignoring the 6+ years of speculation that's literally hounded him over both would be ignoring the elephant in the room so even if it's only a few lines I'd like to see him actually acknowledge it somehow.
I agree that it'll be awkward if he doesn't. But maybe he will - after all, he didn't shy away from the 'editing tips' meme in his video in January. I expect something like that, something that addresses the fandom's reactions or behavior more than what the fandom reacts to.

As for sexuality - maybe a cheeky wink and nod to male attraction but nothing outright.
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

missemma wrote:No doubt we will get:
Llamas
Placenta
Phil trash #1
Whisk
Memes
Not going outside
#spon
Maltesers
Daily booths
Haru
Hi, my name is Dan

At least included in the video. In fact maybe we should have a little competiton to see who can call the most things he's going to mention in there. My list is above.
I really bloody hope we get something on the old dailybooths, and I'd like to add:

University dropout
Existential crisis
Wannabe emo
Being 'articulate' with a possible mention of Winnie the Pooh? (that's specific af but we'll see I guess)
Danosaurs? whenever that was a thing

I'm expecting it to be a wrap up of Reasons Why Dan's a Fail actually, which wouldn't add much in terms of content and originality.
kay
phabergé

fancybum wrote:I was really hoping he wouldn't do the Roast Yourself challenge. I think pewdiepie's video on it perfectly explains why (it's embarrassing to watch, people who can't rap: please stop trying to rap) and Dan must have seen that, right? My reaction to the few of them I watched was '...no. why.'

But he's self-aware to a fault, so maybe he'll do it in a way that doesn't make me want to literally stab my eyes out (and I am interested in how far he'll go with the obvious options.... what will get a mention and what will be avoided.....). If Phil was enthusiastic about it, then I'm sure it won't involve him in any uncomfortable ways.

edit: this would never happen, but I just gave myself a big problematic laugh at the thought of Dan recreating Kanye's gross video but with Youtubers
Augh the last thread ate my reply but anyways, agree with this. I feel about roast yourself the same way pewdiepie does but who knows, D&P seem to be able to take cringey topics and make them watchable for the most part, hell they made an entire video with Dolores Umbridge that didn't make me want to throw my laptop out the window so eh maybe a roast yourself won't be so bad. Then again I could just be so far up their asses that I can't see properly.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

itsonlybeth wrote:
I really bloody hope we get something on the old dailybooths, and I'd like to add:

University dropout
Existential crisis
Wannabe emo
Being 'articulate' with a possible mention of Winnie the Pooh? (that's specific af but we'll see I guess)

I'm expecting it to be a wrap up of Reasons Why Dan's a Fail actually, which wouldn't add much in terms of content and originality.
I dunno why but I actually think he could do a good video on this. I think back to some of his liveshows where he's proper sarcastic and dead pan which makes me think he could pull something good out of the bag if he really put his mind to it. I'm not sure about his rapping skills but maybe he'll mix it up a bit. I'm definitely looking forwards to it - I like it when people take the piss out of themselves and talk about all the things we criticise them for.
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

missemma wrote:
itsonlybeth wrote:

University dropout
Existential crisis
Wannabe emo

I dunno why but I actually think he could do a good video on this. I think back to some of his liveshows where he's proper sarcastic and dead pan which makes me think he could pull something good out of the bag if he really put his mind to it. I'm not sure about his rapping skills but maybe he'll mix it up a bit. I'm definitely looking forwards to it - I like it when people take the piss out of themselves and talk about all the things we criticise them for.
I just hope he thinks outside of his DINOF branding, it's why we got so excited about editing tips, because he acknowledged something that was so obviously there. If he picks up on all these little things that we take the piss out of him for, like a poor uploading schedule, then it has the potential to be brilliant. Also hopes he takes Pewds advice and doesn't rap.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

itsonlybeth wrote: I just hope he thinks outside of his DINOF branding, it's why we got so excited about editing tips, because he acknowledged something that was so obviously there. If he picks up on all these little things that we take the piss out of him for, like a poor uploading schedule, then it has the potential to be brilliant. Also hopes he takes Pewds advice and doesn't rap.

Yes to all of the above. I just hope it's not a whole roast about how he doesn't leave the house because if he does I'll definitely be side eyeing him so hard. He has a very good way of uploading things to prepare the phandom for certain things, eg the I hate spoilers video just in time for tatinof and their no spoilers ethic.
visiblelurker
delia smith

Put me down as one who optimistically excited for this! I actually like the roast yourself challenge though. A couple people did it quite well I thought - including to my surprise LukeIsNotSexy.

Edit: I appreciate self-awareness.

That being said, I hope to god, Dan doesn't use the same jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u1mkdva0fc

(Hopefully that worked. I still have no clue how to use this site.)
Last edited by visiblelurker on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerly
glabella
Pronouns: they/them

missemma wrote: I just hope it's not a whole roast about how he doesn't leave the house because if he does I'll definitely be side eyeing him so hard.
In fact, it would be perfect if he'll drag himself for always mentioning not going outside while he actually does go out a lot
phamnotof wrote:I like my reserved, nerdy awkward weirdos who electroshock their balls in the privacy of their own bedroom with proper safe words and some bloody decorum.
mintsans
sofa crease

I expect a 7 minutes long Kendrick Lamar produced track with deep, soul baring, philosophical and psychological self analysis where by the end of it all, Dan reaches total enlightenment and gets to known the very core of himself and also fixes all war and famine in the world and possibly time travels. And so help me God if I get anything else because I will go in a cringe attack so severe I will start speaking tongues and snakes will manifest in my home.

(really...)

I'm just in it for the guaranteed lolz of actual Dan Howell, whitest White Man in the world with a posh english accent, attempting to rap.
Last edited by mintsans on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.