Dan & Phil Part 21: Say Howdy to InDepthBants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
uglyamerican
woodland creature

eevee wrote:what's a photobook? Just pictures of the tour and meetups?

if you listen closely, you can hear all of IDB screaming "I knew it!" into the void
(Partly) Makes up for the lack of "physical copy" of the tour video, in my book. Yay!
Last edited by uglyamerican on Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eevee
emo goose

I'm on team wtf is that cover. it looks terrible, sorry deppy.
confusedpanda wrote: From what Dan says, yes.
Well that's good news for me because reading is a chore for my tiny little brain, haha! :lol:
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
swofro
angel bean
Pronouns: she/her

The cover looks so fugly. But they actually put my country's store link on the website brb cancelling out my amazon preorder. Lol
Love is forever
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I do not like the cover. It might look better if the background was another colour. Why is the wolf staring at piñata Dans butt?
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Cover - it looks like something they would produce. I like it.

Photobook format: Probably easier to write quickly, and produce content while on the road. It's 224 pages of Deppy pix and some banty captions - I'll buy it for sure (but won't pre-order.)
bluebox-away
woodland creature

I'm not opposed to the idea at all, but the cover is truly horrendous I really can't get past it and apparently it is the cover and Dan likes it..? Also, he's kinda said its to finish off the tour so that doesn't leave much time for Europe before November. I'll be real mad if we don't get any EU dates :sideeye:
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
uglyamerican
woodland creature

So is this book the announcement mentioned for Dan's ls today, or is it the European tour??????
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Cover is awful, concept is great. I have zero issue with them choosing this format to put something out tour-related, since it seems like a physical release of the actual show is off the table.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

ducksss
phillion/danosaur <//3

uglyamerican wrote:Cover - it looks like something they would produce. I like it.
I kinda like it too! You can see it's not the product of a graphic designer's work, but it looks more "personal" to me this way. I wouldn't have put the emoji as the "o" (I don't like emojis that much :sideeye:) in "go" but tbh I think all those colours look really good!
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

haha. There is acutally going to be pages just full on bloody pancakes....
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
stella
living flop

Sorry, probs not buying it... I'll watch the documentary and that will be enough, I think. I didn't have VIP tickets so it's not like I'll see myself in it or anything, and honestly I'm kind of done with TATINOF.

And that cover, dear lord *pukes* I could get over the cover if it weren't for the "G "
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

So here's my ramble of thoughts on this book without really reading through his replies yet...

I'm not surprised at all. First because we all knew about it, but second because I don't really hold Dan & Phil to a higher standard than Gleamers these days. I'm perhaps a negative nancy, but this was always going to happen.

He's saying it's releasing after the tour, so it's making me a bit worried for Europe tbh. I image those folks will get a handful of major cities over the span of like... a week, at best... if it's happening.

And I can totally foresee his explanation for this being something along the lines of "Well, we started taking photos and realized there were just TOO MANY to put on twitter and tumblr and instagram, so what better way to commemorate this crazy adventure than a book???!"

I'm not necessarily disappointed. I always say this, but if I were them, I'd do literally the exact same thing. This is their living, after all. What I am bothered by is the fact that this tome of pictures is the reason we got zilch through the tour. Like, I'm still bitter. A niagara falls photo on IG doesn't do it for me and this book does not contain "try new things" videos.

ETA so this doesn't make me look completely cynical: I'm excited for the book. The cover's ugly but in a cute "Dan and Phil" sort of way. And I'm just reallyreallyreally glad my deep desire to see all their US adventures is finally being realized.
Last edited by rizzo on Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stella
living flop

I've been trying to convince my real-life friends that Dan and Phil aren't so cringe anymore, not sure how I'll explain this...
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.
annetamiau
lady door

I actually like this second book now. One of the problems with TABINOF was that we (respectful stalkers) already knew like 95% of it. But this will be all new material for us to appreciate (and analyse... jk kind of). And now it makes complete sense that they stayed so silent during the USA tour, which I'm still bitter about btw, they could have shared a bit more for free and still make the money. But hey, I'm all excited know, I might even buy it.

Will Phil be in the liveshow? This is not as important as TABINOF for them, but Phil should be in the ls at least for a bit (pretty please).
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
realiity
tol bean

My artist heart cries at the cover, it's too full of stuff and makes my eyes hurt (plus i think it's quuuuuite cringy but oh well). Will they ever make something minimalistic and pleasant on the eyes? Probably not haha

I don't know what to except from a photobook in general but my hopes are high, it's probably going to be quite fun.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

So the (official) tour book announcement was the reason for the ls delay (not a potential European tour - and maybe to include Phil in on the fun):

Phantasy
woodland creature

Did anyone sort of think Dan was wearing concealer in his Instagram story? To me he looked particularly blemish free especially in the close ups...
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phantasy wrote:Did anyone sort of think Dan was wearing concealer in his Instagram story? To me he looked particularly blemish free especially in the close ups...
Yeah that definitely looks like concealer or foundation to me. You can even kind of see a spot by his eyebrow that's covered up.
Winston
flower crown

Unpopular opinion: I like the cover. Totally looks like something they would have put together. They do love their collages. I like all the bright colors. It reminds me of something. I'm not sure what, but it makes me happy to look at it.

As for the whole thing I didn't purchase TABINOF (although got the audio for it for an early b-day present...) I just borrowed it from the library. I am pretty sure I will pick this up. I think it will be a fun one to look at. And also be a reminder of going to the show myself (since I did not partake in any other merch.)

actions speak louder than words
fancybum
senpai

Kind of hoping this isn't just a throwaway joke and he's really considering all of this to be an end of a chapter. New branding on the horizon yes please. Really, what will life be like with no more tat/binof..

Preordered it. No shame. Can't wait to go through it with a magnifying glass... am I joking?? idk
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
aralik
sad dimple

rizzo wrote:So here's my ramble of thoughts on this book without really reading through his replies yet...

I'm not surprised at all. First because we all knew about it, but second because I don't really hold Dan & Phil to a higher standard than Gleamers these days. I'm perhaps a negative nancy, but this was always going to happen.

He's saying it's releasing after the tour, so it's making me a bit worried for Europe tbh. I image those folks will get a handful of major cities over the span of like... a week, at best... if it's happening.

And I can totally foresee his explanation for this being something along the lines of "Well, we started taking photos and realized there were just TOO MANY to put on twitter and tumblr and instagram, so what better way to commemorate this crazy adventure than a book???!"

I'm not necessarily disappointed. I always say this, but if I were them, I'd do literally the exact same thing. This is their living, after all. What I am bothered by is the fact that this tome of pictures is the reason we got zilch through the tour. Like, I'm still bitter. A niagara falls photo on IG doesn't do it for me and this book does not contain "try new things" videos.

ETA so this doesn't make me look completely cynical: I'm excited for the book. The cover's ugly but in a cute "Dan and Phil" sort of way. And I'm just reallyreallyreally glad my deep desire to see all their US adventures is finally being realized.
+1

i mean i'm glad to hear it's new content different than all we saw of tatinof and the docu's. i think if you add things up a book, a tour, two documentaries, a photobook etc is a bit too much BUT i'd do the same exact thing. what a lovely adventure for and we kinda get to go along. HOWEVER, i hope they do a european tour still cuz otherwise i'd be bitter af :sideeye: also i'm really torn between paying 20€ for a book full of photos of 'strangers', i guess i won't do it. but i'll be looking forward to somehow (!) seeing the photos in this photobook ;)
ugh.
eevee
emo goose

annetamiau wrote:I actually like this second book now. One of the problems with TABINOF was that we (respectful stalkers) already knew like 95% of it. But this will be all new material for us to appreciate (and analyse... jk kind of). And now it makes complete sense that they stayed so silent during the USA tour, which I'm still bitter about btw, they could have shared a bit more for free and still make the money. But hey, I'm all excited know, I might even buy it.
My thoughts exactly. I'm excited to get 200+ pages of new pics of deppy's pretty faces. Oh god.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
mez29
procrastinator

^ same!
esso wrote:Image

Is this the actual cover of the book? Because this is so ugly wtf
I kind of like it especially how they got "wowza" in there, take that shout magazine
grannypants
living flop

esso wrote:Image
that cover :?
i kinda feel like it will grow on me but at the moment... there's just so much going on. if i didn't know who they were i deffo wouldn't pick it up cos it just looks so messy? i guess that's the point though, only fans are gonna get the references and be interested in the book, idk

i'm happy that it's a photobook though, it's an interesting/different idea to other yt books and this way they don't have to lie and say they spent months writing on tour when really they had a ghostwriter doing all the hard work *cough* zoella *cough*

hopefully we'll get to see some more cute candid tour photos that they took of each other as well
"don't mind me, just having a little float" - dan howell