Dan & Phil Part 21: Say Howdy to InDepthBants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
spider
ar·tic·u·late

Continue the bants.

Gif by albion. Shout out thanks to human.
lilMango
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

I want to agree with Ickle about Phil being home already, but that's just because I love a good conspiracy!
Last edited by lilMango on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
timtam
lady door

I feel a bit cheated that Dan's dislike of snapchat wasn't because he doesn't want to capture his every day life but because of some sort of sponsorship deal. But at the same time I'm total trash for domestic moments so I'm looking at them anyway.

Off topic: how does insta get away with this feature anyway? It has exactly the same features as snapchat and it even has the same name (stories).

Ps. nice thread name :lol:
Last edited by timtam on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
majitzu
angel bean

spider wrote:Continue the bants.

Gif by albion. Shout out thanks to human.
Thanks god I was like, do I need to make the new thread? I was searching for the correct tumblr gif

I was in my bed playing videogames and thinking someone will make the new, and then I saw we were on the 999 post and start freaking out xD

I can return to my videogame now
eevee
emo goose

timtam wrote:I feel a bit cheated that Dan's dislike of snapchat wasn't because he doesn't want to capture his every day life but because of some sort of sponsorship deal. But at the same time I'm total trash for domestic moments so I'm looking at them anyway.

Off topic: how does insta get away with this feature anyway? It has exactly the same features as snapchat and it even has the same name (stories).
I agree, I wish Dan just wanted to dailyvlog, but I guess the grass is always greener. Whatever, we'll take what we can get, and deppy know that. we'll eat anything up.

I have no idea, I guess Snapchat didn't patent it.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
spider
ar·tic·u·late

majitzu wrote:Thanks god I was like, do I need to make the new thread? I was searching for the correct tumblr gif

I was in my bed playing videogames and thinking someone will make the new, and then I saw we were on the 999 post and start freaking out xD

I can return to my videogame now
[offtopic]Me too Majo. Enjoy your game. [/offtopic]
Amiaw
interactive introvert

lilMango wrote:I want to agree with Ickle about Phil being home already, but that's just because I love a good conspiracy!
I must read this forum too much because that was my first thought too. Also, in his last Insta update saying goodnight- it doesn't look like his typical selfie arm photo- think Phil took that photo?
Poe
rainbow nerd

timtam wrote:Off topic: how does insta get away with this feature anyway? It has exactly the same features as snapchat and it even has the same name (stories).
Actually I'm curious about this too. I can see Snapchat during Instagram for this in the near future tbh
Elemancy
butt chair

bluewho wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Soz skype, but I call BS on Phil still being away. Train tweet yesterday, plus black/v. dark couch in front of white wall? He's in the sodding gaming room!
I would be interested to know other people's opinion's on this? I never notice things like background enough to make a judgement.
Maybe this was filmed when Phil was actually gone and released now even though Phil is at home? But I think there's reasonable plausibility for him to have been away when the Skype call occurred.

Exhibit A) That one Younow he did at his parent's new house.

All throughout the beginning and especially at the 5:00 mark when he starts to get up and angle the laptop around for a better view of the room you can see the back of the bed against the white wall. If he were leaning against it during the Skype call it could look like a close match for their couch in the gaming room.

I think staging the Skype call while Phil is actually in the house would be the next level of dedication I can't seem them commiting to, even with Dan breaking a glass to point out what a mess he is irl, (which I think was more for better comedic effect) but I thought I'd point out the above to give a different perspective to consider.
Whatever really happened, I still liked the mini stories. They were brief but different and Dan's side smile smirk when he was talking during the first part he uploaded had me needing to take a minute.

RE: the companies hopping aboard the 'phan bandwagon':
I think it's par for the course with any major marketing scheme where research is done to see what a target audience responds to, like Denny's on Tumblr or any other company copping to with jokes, memes or points of view that a younger audience appears to appreciate en masse, thereby netting them the best response and visibility (to the point where they make it look like a cheap gimmick very quickly, but where gimmicky to them = financial gain)
I think it's out of 's hands for sure in this case, but I agree it's a little :sideeye: when you see it in action from big name companies doing it for the guaranteed response it'll bring. But that's the nature of the beast I guess.
Last edited by Elemancy on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
:dildo:
danisnotonphil
squish
Pronouns: She/her

actually i always thought because of how "perfectionist" Dan claims to be and such that certain platforms like sc that are more for casual "in the moment" things weren't appealing enough for him, i mean check his vine, he made an account but never really used it! and with how long it takes him to make and upload new videos, and his excuse for why he doesn't tweet more often, i don't imagine he gave sc much of a chance to begin with, plus like someone mentioned in the previous thread maybe he's doing the ig stories because of some deal with ig or maybe it's because they already have ig so it's easier, where starting sc would be adding yet another social media acc to their list
Always lurking, rarely posting
stella
living flop

love the thread name!

^ I agree that snapchat just isn't a dan/phil thing, be it their perfectionism or whatever it is. it makes it pretty clear to me that instagram is sponsoring them
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.
timtam
lady door

eevee wrote:
timtam wrote:I feel a bit cheated that Dan's dislike of snapchat wasn't because he doesn't want to capture his every day life but because of some sort of sponsorship deal. But at the same time I'm total trash for domestic moments so I'm looking at them anyway.

I agree, I wish Dan just wanted to dailyvlog, but I guess the grass is always greener. Whatever, we'll take what we can get, and deppy know that. we'll eat anything up.

I have no idea, I guess Snapchat didn't patent it.
Yeah I kinda hate myself for just eating up whatever they give me haha :lol:
Poe wrote: Actually I'm curious about this too. I can see Snapchat during Instagram for this in the near future tbh
It's so blatantly a snapchat rip off so I think they might have some trouble. Also why would I want to use instagram's stories when I'm already doing it on snapchat. There's no incentive for me personally.
stella2000 wrote:love the thread name!

^ I agree that snapchat just isn't a dan/phil thing, be it their perfectionism or whatever it is. it makes it pretty clear to me that instagram is sponsoring them
I think their perfectionism and Dan's disregard towards snapchat, which is exactly the same, makes it clear it's a sponsorship. Or maybe he's just bored while Phil isn't home.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

To be honest, I always thought they didn't use snapchat because they didn't wanna get a ridiculous amount of snaps from fans. And they aren't aware that you can set it for only getting snaps from your own friends, but your story can be public. Where as with ig, I don't think you can send someone photos like that.
Even if ig is sponsoring them, I don't see a problem with it. It just gives us more content and them money. They chose what to upload for it so it's a win win for everyone really. Actually, can they use this ig sponsor to everyone's advantage and do stories in Australia, please? It would be perfect.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

I'm just happy to have content. The dropping the glass clip was crap but the others were pretty cute.
I've never really used snapchat so I don't know how they compare but are the video clips always mirrored? I found that really distracting. Particularly on the one where Dan was showing the isg question but kind of on all of them really.
Also, I'm curious; Can someone who understands these things explain how Instagram and Snapchat make money? There aren't any ads. I'm confused.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
karlitatvphan
sofa crease
Pronouns: furry

I leave and there's like 7 pages to catch up on!

Sc/IG/Skype thingy: I don't know how to feel, I accept the spon and stuff but I prefer when they actually are promoting something they have done or took an input in it ex. book, the merch, the app and stuff and not something else. I hope is not true, and if they are doing stuff like this, I hope they don't do it in their main channels because that would be srsly a deal breaker for me, that happened to me with Tyler Oakley, too much spon, every single Q&A had that annoying Audible spon in the middle and it annoyed me so much, at least Jackfilms does it at the end so you just can skip it if you don't care. I'm beggin for them to keep their spons outside their main channels (crunchyroll was alright but that's as far as I can take). The videos were cute though.

About the LS: I think if they are announcing the EU tour it has to be both of them, and the tweet clearly said "I" so I don't think that's it, like someone said I think it's the date of the YTRed thingy, the doc and stuff.

The cringy corporations tweets: Yeah I think it is really unprofessional. A brand shipping phan is something that makes you not take the brand srsly so yeah, sometimes it makes them more human, but they can't be fangirls, I've seen ADMs of corporation's facebook pages that are really nice and stuff and interact with people but never at the level of writing stuff like a fangirl.

Last thing: Best title ever! :) I wish (t)he(y) lurked around here and actually get to know the forum by name because there are lots of people here.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

bluntedclaws wrote:Also, I'm curious; Can someone who understands these things explain how Instagram and Snapchat make money? There aren't any ads. I'm confused.
[offtopic]Happy to answer this. :)
There are ads. Endless ads. Instagram places native ads between photos as you scroll, so that they fit into your feed. It's also easier for them to do now that your timeline is out of order. You'll also find that a lot of influencers who work with Instagram will work with Facebook too, as they're now all under Facebook who obviously sits on the throne of ad revenue.

Snapchat very recently announced their ad platform publicly and they too have ads. Especially if you go through the popular stories (like the country/event focused ones). Right now, you can skip the ads, but I give it max a year before you can't. Snapchat also gets paid for custom filters (and they make TONS of 'em) as well as by brands who want their stories shown to everyone (ESPN, MTV, etc...)

There's also money to be made for influencers who snap about brands. So, like... If Dan & Phil ~instastory~ about how they're obsessed with the new World Chef update, there's more money into the joint account that isn't even coming from the platform itself.

Money - ain't it fun?
[/offtopic]
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

Thanks rizzo.
I never really notice the ads I guess. I suppose it's because I usually just click into Instagram from Twitter rather than actually scrolling through. Why the heck don't they put stuff in chronological order? It doesn't even seem to be an option.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
blueapple_x
flower crown

I'm sure everyone has seen all the instastories at this point, but vyou1 uploaded them to YT as well:

kay
phabergé

So much to catch up on!

About Undertale: I was pining for a vid and I enjoyed it.. fun and entertaining but it wasn't my favorite. Definitely in the middle of the pack in terms of quality Undertale vids. I too think Phil looked a little reserved (my initial reaction was that he just looked a little tired) but I wouldn't say bored. It's so many pages back at this point so I don't remember who said it but I think the example of the friend watching the other friend play the video game and enjoying it just as much rings true for this situation. There weren't as many battles as normal but I think Phil watching Dan battle is hilarious/adorable:
Image Image Image
Random note but it made me laugh / cackle evilly when Toto walks by the screen in Alphys' lab and Phil says "Watching us again... creepy." Ah, the parallels.

About Snapchat I mean IG stories: I thought it was cute and obviously spon. The glass breaking felt fake to me but the Skype call didn't... until Ickle had to plant the seed that it was shot in the game room and now that's all I can see! I went so far as to even do a load of screenshots to see if the bowl he was holding was the Krave bowl because I was feeling so about it! I'm kind of on the fence about spon. They have to earn money somehow (c'mon, the house with the koi pond and that shiba adoption isn't going to pay for itself) and I feel like so far they've made relatively decent choices with what they choose to partner with, so I'm hoping that they have better judgement/respect for us than to fake a Skype call and film it in their own house.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Umm, I now have Instagram Stories showing up on my phone, but it's just not Dan who is posting them: I don't subscribe to many IG peeps, but I do subscribe to Connor Franta (because he's a decent photographer) and guess what? - he's doing stories, as well as NASA who I also subscribe. So I don't think anybody is getting megabucks to show off the new service.
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

I'm not as convinced about the IG spon as most of you seem to be. Mostly because he didn't tweet about it or announce it in any other way. If i was gonna pay someone to use my app, i would make sure to include some promo in that. Not everybody follows phan accounts on social media or reads forums, so there'll be lots of people who won't even know Dan is using instastories. Surely the point of the spon is to get people who aren't already using IG to do so. Well then you have to tell them that there is something to watch.

Maybe IG tipped them off about the new feature when they were visiting their headquarters. They weren't always so opposed to snapchat, in the beginning Dan sounded like he was at least thinking about getting it, right? Or am i imagining this? Maybe they were thinking about it and then IG told them about stories and so they waited for thet instead.

If it really is spon, i'm on #teamdontcare. If having a contract is what it takes to make Dan get over his procrastination and produce some content, then so be it. Bring on all the spons, like the anime video.

And i'm a little salty about the postponed ls. I was free yesterday, but today i might not make it home in time and then you started talking about a joint ls so if i hurry to get home just to find a joint ls instead of a solo one, i'll be really annoyed :lol:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Kinda sneaky to be filming an Instagram story just a week after such a strong no to Snapchat, Daniel (or maybe it isn't, who knows ), but it was mostly pretty good and funny, loved the bit about the cereal. The glass bit is lame af, I'm not a great fan of things being wasted on purpose even if it only cost a few pounds, that makes a difference to some people inc their one fan I know offline (also food fights in films, well anywhere really). He looked stunning, though.
swofro
angel bean

Dan using instagram new features is super groudbreaking that I wake up to 5 pages to catch up upon and a new thread. Why don't they give us all these content when they are away (on tour) I have no idea.

I also love the split vote on the new thread name, glad this one win though because we have to commemorate it somehow.

Contrary to other people, I think I am one of those fans who like it when Deppy trying to sell things to me. Persuade me, ,tell me all about how the things you wanna sell is good stuff, throw all the spon to me. Do me. *ahem*
:gg:

I really love businessman Dan and Phil to be honest. They are the literal king of social media, with all these huge corps recognising them and want them to promote their stuff. For me, that's not a sellout, that's being successful.

About snapchat, I understand why Dan doesn't wanna use it because it does seems like daily vlogging to me and he is really not into that. Imagine if Dan has a snapchat account and only use it once a month, that doesn't seems like a good image towards snapchat because it gives the image that Dan really doesn't like it and he will be a huge douche if he takes money for something he doesn't like.

Meanwhile, instagram is a thing he had used for years and stories is only one of the features, meaning even if he only use it once in a while, there are still other instagram pictures that he posted to make up for the lack of content (stories) he post. Instagram paying them to promote the new featured is a great business move for them, because look at how many people downloaded/updated their instagram just few hours ago.

About Dan breaking the glass. I never thought he is doing it on purpose the first time I watch it. Like, why would he ever wanna do that? But if he really does break a for content, I am just... speechless. I know they have hundreds of mugs too much for two person but breaking a mug (that he called his favourite nevertheless) for stories is a bit ott Danyul.

I also think Deppy endorsing instagram will makes them being hated (or disliked or envied, im not sure what is the correct term) more on the youtube community especially gleamers. Gleamers have been promoting snapchat for months now and suddenly there comes Deppy with their humongous fanbase promoting a rival company. Since coming back from vidcon, Alfie also had been promoting his instagram (I bet there are some corporation marketing talk during vidcon), so I bet he is livid that Deppy was approached by instagram but he is not although he is the one who had promoted it more. Or all this doesn't happen and everything is fine in the youtube community and I just want some drama.

About Phil still at his parents house. The train tweet the other day makes me thought he is already at home, so I don't really know what is going on. Is there any train on IoM? lol. But a bit sad that knowing Philip visit his parents alone means that there is no possibility of PokemonGo vid film there. :(

I also want to embrace the new theorist specialist title. :D we should have that in the ranks somewhere, but not above angel bean though.

Edit:
uglyamerican wrote:Umm, I now have Instagram Stories showing up on my phone, but it's just not Dan who is posting them: I don't subscribe to many IG peeps, but I do subscribe to Connor Franta (because he's a decent photographer) and guess what? - he's doing stories, as well as NASA who I also subscribe. So I don't think anybody is getting megabucks to show off the new service.
Connor Franta also visited instagram HQ the other day soooo
Love is forever
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I'm convinced Dan's instagram story was him not so subtly lampshading his hypocrisy (HAHA WHATS SNAPCHAT HEHUEHUEEH) that puts me on #teamcheekyspon. But it's content!!! Tall people bus problems/goodnight are 2 of my fav pics ive ever seen of him. i'll take it

Also corporate Skype tweets- does anyone think they're not even using Skype in the first place?! Obviously they'd be using FaceTime because they both have Apple products and no use in downloading another app that just crashes all the time when theres a built in alternative. Skype's just rolling with it coz all the mentions :lol:
pixlexia
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

hiddenwombat wrote:Also corporate Skype tweets- does anyone think they're not even using Skype in the first place?! Obviously they'd be using FaceTime because they both have Apple products and no use in downloading another app that just crashes all the time when theres a built in alternative. Skype's just rolling with it coz all the mentions :lol:
I actually had the same thoughts It's not like they even said the word "skype" or showed the logos anywhere. It could be a dozen other programs, and my immediate assumption was FaceTime. But, just imagining Skype rolling with it for the promos is hilarious :lol:
(insert a funny quote from the forum here)