Dan & Phil Part 21: Say Howdy to InDepthBants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
anathema
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

Ticia wrote:
stella wrote:[offtopic] this just popped up in my recommended videos, she went to school with Dan. (4:15 - 5:05) She doesn't say a lot about Dan as a wee lad but it's cool anyway :)[/offtopic]
Clickbait example: see Exhibit A.
Exactly what I was thinking! I'm just wondering how long it will be until the phandom comes knocking on her door asking about Dan as a kid. (Also, I'm assuming he went by his full name for the first bit of his life, because both times she said his name she referred to him as Daniel, not Dan. Interesting to know, I guess.)
Edit: Second time today my post is at the top of the page. I need to stop posting so much :roll:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
000dia000
emo goose

It is a rite of passage by any YouTuber who wants to make it big to find success from exploiting the fandom so true to that, I expect to check back in a month and see most of her commentors with deppy pics

Edit: phandom, I mean #phakephan
:cactus:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Mimei knows the phandom and it's spamming habits too well :lol:

2:49

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
tilltomorrow
drama llama

as far as success on youtube goes, I agree that subscribers don't matter as much as views but when people bring up views on videos they tend to forget that certain youtubers might only be getting 300K views per vid despite having higher subscriber counts but some of these youtubers are also consistently releasing multiple videos a week..

they're not youtubers that I'm a fan of and I'd rather the uploading of a rare but (slightly, now) higher quality video against 5 less inspired videos/vlogs a week but it's something that people tend to forget when comparing subscribers and views.
identikit
smol bean

2 little thoughts about the VIP/M&G discussion:
First of all, each to their own. It's gonna be worth it for some people and not so much for others. Nevertheless, I feel like it's still a relatively "fair" price? Hi-Touches with Kpop groups are usually more expensive and usually all you do is walk along the line of members and shake their hand/high five them. That's it. So I guess getting a signature, photo and the opportunity to exchange a few sentences isn't too bad?
I have a question related to that though - For TATINOF, were all front row seats reserved for VIP people or was there a possibility to obtain very good seats without them?

Secondly, I don't think one should judge the priorities of fans too harshly. Person A spends 200 bucks on a simple Beyonce ticket, Person B spends that on meeting Internet memes... Then there's me who spends it on a mini trip to another country to go to a free concert of my fave. At the end everyone's happy, that's what matters right? ^-^
Obviously we could discuss the morality of charging so much for a robot-interaction, but that's probably been done before.

Alright, irrelevant post done, cya in 3 months when I dare to say something again
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

identikit wrote: I have a question related to that though - For TATINOF, were all front row seats reserved for VIP people or was there a possibility to obtain very good seats without them?
I can't speak for AUS, but in the US, all front seats were reserved for VIP tickets, with the exception of the Hollywood matinee show, in which there was no M&G.
Winston
flower crown

Cora wrote:
identikit wrote: I have a question related to that though - For TATINOF, were all front row seats reserved for VIP people or was there a possibility to obtain very good seats without them?
I can't speak for AUS, but in the US, all front seats were reserved for VIP tickets, with the exception of the Hollywood matinee show, in which there was no M&G.
I didn't get VIP tickets (one of those that has no desire to meet them, Well at least not like that) and I was only 4 rows back. They were great seats. I think better than front row cause I can't imagine how they could see some things over the lights and props. I was about eye level with the stage as opposed to below it like the first 3. Most theaters are like that I think. So I got very good seats imo and only paid 60 as opposed to 200 or whatever it was for VIP.
actions speak louder than words
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I don't know about the other cities, but for the Melbourne show I bought tickets for, the first seven rows or so were VIP reserved. Whether seats just behind them are 'good' or not depends on your point of view.
kay
phabergé

anathema wrote:
Ticia wrote:
stella wrote:[offtopic] this just popped up in my recommended videos, she went to school with Dan. (4:15 - 5:05) She doesn't say a lot about Dan as a wee lad but it's cool anyway :)[/offtopic]
Exactly what I was thinking! I'm just wondering how long it will be until the phandom comes knocking on her door asking about Dan as a kid. (Also, I'm assuming he went by his full name for the first bit of his life, because both times she said his name she referred to him as Daniel, not Dan. Interesting to know, I guess.)
Edit: Second time today my post is at the top of the page. I need to stop posting so much :roll:
I found it really interesting how she cut herself off literally mid-sentence to throw up a title card with text on it instead of allowing us to see the rest of what she said about going to school with him. I want to fulfill my nosiness and know what she said :-x
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

achika wrote:
anathema wrote:
Ticia wrote:
I found it really interesting how she cut herself off literally mid-sentence to throw up a title card with text on it instead of allowing us to see the rest of what she said about going to school with him. I want to fulfill my nosiness and know what she said :-x
Maybe cos I was a bit mushed in the brain last night, it didn't occur to me why she did that (was at a con full of discussion panels, it's a lot to take in, but my deppy-hair tshirt was recognised by two girls near my bus stop and then finally in the evening actually at the con). I thought the way she said all it was really nice and calm, since she knew him as a kid rather than fangirling over his wondrousness.

I had to think for a moment about her description of him as having a big personality cos even though he's entertaining and outgoing as a performer, he's described himself as awkward so often, and mute at parties (unless exaggerating ofc). But that's stuff that changed over time, as he said the school system chewed him up and spat him out the other side, but in the childhood videos, he was happily singing Barbie Girl to the family at Christmas. In an interview with the parents of the girls in the 1980/1 Annie movie they said they'd all been gregarious babies, and ofc in the Draw My Life video Dan said he was a happy little kid who brought joy to everyone.
annetamiau
lady door

identikit wrote:2 little thoughts about the VIP/M&G discussion:
First of all, each to their own. It's gonna be worth it for some people and not so much for others. Nevertheless, I feel like it's still a relatively "fair" price? Hi-Touches with Kpop groups are usually more expensive and usually all you do is walk along the line of members and shake their hand/high five them. That's it. So I guess getting a signature, photo and the opportunity to exchange a few sentences isn't too bad?
I have a question related to that though - For TATINOF, were all front row seats reserved for VIP people or was there a possibility to obtain very good seats without them?

Secondly, I don't think one should judge the priorities of fans too harshly. Person A spends 200 bucks on a simple Beyonce ticket, Person B spends that on meeting Internet memes... Then there's me who spends it on a mini trip to another country to go to a free concert of my fave. At the end everyone's happy, that's what matters right? ^-^
Obviously we could discuss the morality of charging so much for a robot-interaction, but that's probably been done before.

Alright, irrelevant post done, cya in 3 months when I dare to say something again
I completely agree with your second paragraph. I wouldn't go for TATINOF VIP, but if deppy came relatively near me, I'd be more than willing to take a plane and book a hotel for a night, so I'd probably end up spending quite a lot of money. In the end, if whatever you do makes you happy, then that's the only thing that matters :)

However, I don't think we should consider it a 'fair' price just because other bands or personalities charge a higher price for just a high five.

Also, what didn't sit right with me (especially at the beginning of the tour, now I guess I am used to it) is that in the announcement video Dan and Phil made it sound like the meet and greets would be more than just a signature and a picture. I'm not saying fans believed they would end up being best friends with them, but I'm sure some thought they would at least have a decent conversation with deppy, more than the usual 'nice hair!', 'I have the longest arms ever, I'll take the selfie'. Some of you have been involved in fandom culture for a long time and knew exactly what to expect, which I think is the key to a nice experience. Though I haven't read any bad reviews of deppy's meet and greets, which probably says that people are definitely enjoying them, regardless of their initial expectations.

At the end of the day, I'd say go for it if it makes you happy ;)

PS. Pokemon video where are you? I'm starting to think The Pokemon Go fad will go away before Dan and Phil upload the second video.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
human
dan hand trash

Lolling at the whiners on Twitter saying how the m&g is too short blah blah. Thank the lord it's short and snappy, do people really have lots to say to complete strangers? I know in my meet, I had a bit of time to give my thoughts on the book, we all said hi to eachother, Dan complimented my hair (haha I feel so ~special, I'm sure he didn't say that to anyone else that day at all or anything lol) and I explained where I wanted them to sign in the book, we chatted a bit about our incapabilities of taking decent selfies even after all this time, I got a few cute pics and moved on. It was perfectly lovely in my opinion and just right.

I would absolutely have NO ability to engage in indepth convos with them in such an environment. Do people want more time to talk about their live stories or what because this clearly isn't the place lol. I think people are just being unrealistic at this point and I have zero sympathy. I don't really see the issue with the price either because it's not compulsory, if you don't want to pay it or think it's unreasonable then you can still go to the show without paying for the VIP. I don't see the problem lol. People really do find anything at all to complain about, geez.

Off to SITC with Maz, might say hello to Lauren lol.
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

annetamiau wrote:
identikit wrote:2 little thoughts about the VIP/M&G discussion:
PS. Pokemon video where are you? I'm starting to think The Pokemon Go fad will go away before Dan and Phil upload the second video.
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that before but I think the hype is definitely fading. People are still playing it in my town but the number of lures put out has decreased and even my brother (who is 25 and played the very first Pokémon game when it came out) has stopped playing Pokémon Go in favour of some older Pokémon games. But then again, that's classic Dan, following the trend months after it's died out.
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~
timtam
lady door

swofro wrote: Edit: should this be in tatinof thread or the main thread, I forgot the logistics of what went where
I kinda wish they had a subtle tour tshirt. I'm still really awkward about being fans of them IRL . I will say that these are actually reasonable prices for Australian merch. Bands tend to up the prices of everything because they had to travel so far.
Lobster wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:So M+G photos are coming in. Dan's hair is wavy.
Also is it cold there right now or something? What's with the long sleeves?
It's winter in Australia at the moment and Perth can get pretty cold by Aussie standards. Plus we can be pretty wimpy whenever the temperature drops below like 23 degrees
I was rolling my eyes at Dan saying it was going to warm and Phil being worried about the sun. It is cold here in winter. It's going to be 13 degrees when they are in Melbourne with traditional Melb rain. It'll be sunny in Sydney and Brisbane but the weather wont be as hot as what they experienced in America and they didn't even complain about that too much.
annetamiau
lady door

Hey, as the forum is slow today I thought I'd bring something back, in case you guys fancy a bit of speculation right now ;)

From felucca's channel:

0.27 ' Me and Phil and Stephen365days and... umm... a girl that phil kno-knew from...somewhere in his life and a couple other girls all got pretty drunk at about 2 in the afternoon'.

Thoughts on the mysterious girl?

(Also, I hope no one gets offended, it's just speculation about something that happened 4 years ago. But I really would like to read your opinions anyway)
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
blueapple_x
flower crown

She (her name is Alicia Natalie appaz) answered some questions about him in the comments.

Q: i know you probs dont like being asked this but did dan have a similar personality from what you've seen in his vids?
A: I don't usually use this phrase but the best way to describe it is that he was 'full of beans' lol

Q: did you keep in contact with dan at all? have you seen his roast yourself challenge? he is so funny omg!
A:Not at all I only saw and spoke to him in school as far as I remember and then I heard the name all these years later and instantly remembered, because he was very bubbly and entertaining! So that never changed about him! I haven't I'll check it out now!

...Full of beans lol. She said her best friend's brother was Dan's best friend so I'm guessing if she mostly saw him around this best friend of his back in the day, he probably would've been more comfortable being loud and open.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I would like to take this opportunity to bless you all with a rare pic of Dan with his head straight:

So beautiful.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

mysterylovescompany wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to bless you all with a rare pic of Dan with his head straight:
So beautiful.
It is nice to see Dan like this. Also Phil looks good.
mez29
procrastinator

flarequake wrote:
achika wrote:
anathema wrote:
Ticia wrote:
Maybe cos I was a bit mushed in the brain last night, it didn't occur to me why she did that (was at a con full of discussion panels, it's a lot to take in, but my deppy-hair tshirt was recognised by two girls near my bus stop and then finally in the evening actually at the con). I thought the way she said all it was really nice and calm, since she knew him as a kid rather than fangirling over his wondrousness.

I had to think for a moment about her description of him as having a big personality cos even though he's entertaining and outgoing as a performer, he's described himself as awkward so often, and mute at parties (unless exaggerating ofc). But that's stuff that changed over time, as he said the school system chewed him up and spat him out the other side, but in the childhood videos, he was happily singing Barbie Girl to the family at Christmas. In an interview with the parents of the girls in the 1980/1 Annie movie they said they'd all been gregarious babies, and ofc in the Draw My Life video Dan said he was a happy little kid who brought joy to everyone.
Yeah, the outgoing performing stuff is quite different from the story Dan tells in this video.
DryCereal
koi pond

blueapple_x wrote:
stella wrote:[offtopic]
this just popped up in my recommended videos, she went to school with Dan. (4:15 - 5:05) She doesn't say a lot about Dan as a wee lad but it's cool anyway :)[/offtopic]
She (her name is Alicia Natalie appaz) answered some questions about him in the comments.

Q: i know you probs dont like being asked this but did dan have a similar personality from what you've seen in his vids?
A: I don't usually use this phrase but the best way to describe it is that he was 'full of beans' lol

Q: did you keep in contact with dan at all? have you seen his roast yourself challenge? he is so funny omg!
A:Not at all I only saw and spoke to him in school as far as I remember and then I heard the name all these years later and instantly remembered, because he was very bubbly and entertaining! So that never changed about him! I haven't I'll check it out now!

...Full of beans lol. She said her best friend's brother was Dan's best friend so I'm guessing if she mostly saw him around this best friend of his back in the day, he probably would've been more comfortable being loud and open.
Call me a maaaaaaaassive cynic, but this isn't anything we didn't know about Dan being a bit of a "character" at school. Both in TABINOF and videos (notably "How To Survive Exams" and "How Not To Survive School")
I'd rather hear it direct from the horse's mouth than from obvious clickbait.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
clarinetupmyass
squish

angry DM coming his way :lol:

edit: oops is this old? i just checked the date it was posted. flop :gg:
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

I don't think it's that strange, Dan is a insecure person, of course he would think less of himself than what other thinks. Plus the girl said "big and entertaining personality", that's definitely a description that could go both ways, remember Dan said he talk so much and the bad student even annoyed of him? That's one way of interrupting "big personality".
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

akui wrote:I don't think it's that strange, Dan is a insecure person, of course he would think less of himself than what other thinks. Plus the girl said "big and entertaining personality", that's definitely a description that could go both ways, remember Dan said he talk so much and the bad student even annoyed of him? That's one way of interrupting "big personality".
This is what I thought of also. I'm sure Dans always been a super (maybe overly) talkative person. Plus he was a performer, so
Delta503
tol bean

mez29 wrote:
flarequake wrote:
achika wrote:
anathema wrote:
Ticia wrote:

Yeah, the outgoing performing stuff is quite different from the story Dan tells in this video.
I love the little anecdotes they included in the radio show, thanks for posting this! I suppose confidence levels fluctuate depending on how many people you're in front of, so him refusing to do his well practised S-Club number in front of a crowd is probably understandable. From his Draw my Life video, he mentions how he joined the theatre club when he was 8 but then the transition from primary to secondary school had a big impact on him.

This kind of story reaffirms in my mind Dan (and Phil's) status as 'celebrities', with people recounting their incidental brushes with the (kinda) famous. The title was kinda clickbait-y, but I liked what she said at the end about it being nice to see people from your little area go on to succeed. And at least it wasn't a complete lie. Idk, when someone has 4.5k subscribers, you gotta claw your way up somehow.
clarinetupmyass wrote: angry DM coming his way :lol:
Ha, I saw this last night. It's a total 'I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed' look to me, I can feel my insides squirming. ;)

The amount they've been able to limit the spread of video/photos of tatinof is kinda remarkable. I've only seen pictures, one audio recording and a video of the final bit (which is quite a lot i guess now i list it out...) Since they've publicised the attempt to stop filming quite a bit, I reckon that if you're in the audience filming you'd face the disapproval of not only Phil, but other members of the audience so that maybe acts as a deterrent. I can't wait for the proper recording to be released bc I'm so over the phandom being on hyper spoiler alert. :P
Dan Howell wrote:Remember kids, this is just me talking shit.
DryCereal
koi pond

Aaaaaaaand revenge for the cereal tweets.
Bless. (but I think it was on the plane, and Phil's sat on it for whatever reason. Here's hoping we get a vid tonight)
Last edited by DryCereal on Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted: