Dan & Phil Part 21: Say Howdy to InDepthBants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I just loved this video so much. I've had the most exhausting day and I don't have enough brain cells left awake to cobble together eloquent thoughts. I just really, really loved it because they looked like they really, really loved it. (Or, you know, something. Each other.)

Like - yeah, it was fairly scripted, at least the major points. Yeah, we know Dan bought the onesie in American and has had it for a while and his reactions to things are exaggerated for entertainment value. And yeah, this wasn't even really an AmazingPhil video, this was a video Dan and Phil had the idea of and picked Phil's channel as the vehicle for it. It just didn't detract from my enjoyment. It was Dan and Phil making each other laugh and I do think working a few genuine surprises in for each other and it was delightful.
stella
living flop

[offtopic]
I was just doing some lurking and stumbled upon this http://www.picassohead.com/?id=c356f6f :lol: "i'm ace"
[/offtopic]
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.
majitzu
angel bean

karma_yeah Dan said in his ls that he bought the onesie weeks ago when he was on América.

Diyes_Celine If they wanted to hide something they would have edit that out
daphenaxa
blobfish

trashqueen wrote:i'm surprised you guys liked the video so much, i personally couldn't get pass how overacted it was, dan, my dude, if you're gonna act like you didn't buy the suit yourself please remember not mentioning so in a liveshow, thank you
you made me giggle out loud. Where is the lie? That's so funny to me that Dan ALWAYS tells us stuff like that on younow and then act like a telenovela king in the actual video. That chlamydia joke is becoming the new pancake/waffle joke. It annoys me to no end.

Phil nudging Danny was cute, Dan in the kangaroo costume was cute (when isn't he?), also YEAH dick jokes. That video was terrible tho.

I am jealous they are in HK. I miss HK. I hope they visit and have a great time.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

majitzu wrote:karma_yeah Dan said in his ls that he bought the onesie weeks ago when he was on América.

Diyes_Celine If they wanted to hide something they would have edit that out
But Phil's editing is so lazy in the last videos. For example, his plant video had extra seconds thus the boop at the end. I don't know how they missed out on that loud music. The clips before that didn't have any background music.
fancybum
senpai

K Phil has over 3M subscribers. Liveshows average around 20K live viewers these days (plus a few thousand more watching on YT later), and it was in Dan's liveshows that he mentioned buying the onesie. Maybe he could've said 'oh look it's that kangaroo onesie I bought in America with the intention of wearing it while making an Aus tour spon video on my channel but tickets sold out before I had a chance to film it and so I had this random kangaroo suit lying around and we decided to put it to use in this video on Phil's channel to get our money's worth, how convenient'. But it's more entertaining to the majority of Phil viewers who don't already know that story to just go 'lol wtf Phil'. Anyway.

Dan still sounded sick to me and planes are shit even in top health so hopefully he doesn't have too rough of a time and his lungs clear up soon. It'll be a long month otherwise. At this rate he really will end up with chlamydia from a koala. Do it for the memes. I think they kind of have to do a DITL in Aus, he already hinted that the baking vid will probably happen for Halloween and doing a Festive DITL 2 doesn't seem likely. They'll have spare time for a touristy day like Japhan, it's the most logical thing unless they just skip a DITL this year, but we all know how they like their traditions..
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:K Phil has over 3M subscribers. Liveshows average around 20K live viewers these days (plus a few thousand more watching on YT later), and it was in Dan's liveshows that he mentioned buying the onesie. Maybe he could've said 'oh look it's that kangaroo onesie I bought in America with the intention of wearing it while making an Aus tour spon video on my channel but tickets sold out before I had a chance to film it and so I had this random kangaroo suit lying around and we decided to put it to use in this video on Phil's channel to get our money's worth, how convenient'. But it's more entertaining to the majority of Phil viewers who don't already know that story to just go 'lol wtf Phil'. Anyway.
tysm for being very good at wording things

I have nothing to add. Just, yeah. This.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I'm loving this timezone.
blueapple_x
flower crown

Lol. Also
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

mysterylovescompany wrote:I'm loving this timezone.
I think he was watching the swimming competition coz the award ceremony just ended. My favourite event. So many Haru and Makoto... Haha

I also like this timezone.
blueapple_x wrote:
My heart.. don't do this to me, Dan. In my phangirl au you and phil are mako and haru (minus the abs).
Last edited by Diyes_Celine on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

fancybum wrote:K Phil has over 3M subscribers. Liveshows average around 20K live viewers these days (plus a few thousand more watching on YT later), and it was in Dan's liveshows that he mentioned buying the onesie. Maybe he could've said 'oh look it's that kangaroo onesie I bought in America with the intention of wearing it while making an Aus tour spon video on my channel but tickets sold out before I had a chance to film it and so I had this random kangaroo suit lying around and we decided to put it to use in this video on Phil's channel to get our money's worth, how convenient'. But it's more entertaining to the majority of Phil viewers who don't already know that story to just go 'lol wtf Phil'. Anyway.
yeah, well, as i happen to have a brain i do realize that, it doesn't stop it from being annoying / breaking the ~immersion~ when you do know it's a lie

i also think they are genuinely entertaining and they don't need to overact like that
blueapple_x wrote:Lol.
i am //so glad// he's aware of how 2011 cringe that t-shirt is
lol do u guys remember when everyone was in love with tate langdon? that was almost worst than romanticizing edward cullen himself, wtf was wrong with the world

completely off topic: i fell down the rabbit hole of 'top 10' videos on youtube and watched some about richest youtubers and most expensive youtube houses, and now i'm annoyed deppy are sitting on their money because i would love to see the commentary the 'top 10' people would make about them if they for example bought an expensive af house
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
crash[]
butt chair

blueapple_x wrote:
Rin and Haru were the ones who went to Australia, but okay Dan, just reference the ship that Phan is always compared to regardless of proper context.

Also, another fujo ship reference for the Haikyuu folks.
blueapple_x
flower crown

crash[] wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:
Rin and Haru were the ones who went to Australia, but okay Dan, just reference the ship that Phan is always compared to regardless of proper context.
Thanks for explaining that because I was kinda confused about what he meant lol.

I still have to watch the second season....
ultraviolet
dank meme

crash[] wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:

Also, another fujo ship reference for the Haikyuu folks.
Dan being an out and proud fundanshi is everything to me.

And to add to some current conversation: I found the video really charming, acting or not. They were obviously having fun and even seemed a bit... flirtier than normal. It was oddly innuendo-y for Phil's channel...

Also, I'd much rather have a sloppier-than-normal video than no videos at all... So I'll give Phil a pass.
Previously 'aonokanata'! :haru:
timtam
lady door

It's so great but also odd to see tweets from them during the day!
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Dan has clearly not been watching enough tennis, that's an absolute shitshow! Also cycling. More angst there would have literally meant death, Daniel, not quite sure you mean that! Disclaimer I know he just doesn't know that, not being serious. I do enjoy watching new people get into sport at every Olympics :D

Really enjoyed the video! They just looked so happy, it was lovely Loved the 23hr flight bit - of course - and the discussion about wearing the kangaroo suit on the flight. I'm just loving Phil so much at the moment! (I feel like there was definitely one actual point I wanted to make but have to go to work now and have forgotten it.)
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

trashqueen wrote:dan, my dude, if you're gonna act like you didn't buy the suit yourself please remember not mentioning so in a liveshow, thank you
Thank you, I thought I was over here taking crazy pills because no one else seemed to remember the part where Dan clearly mentioned the kangaroo onesie that he himself bought.

This may be the first time I've ever actively noticed Phil being so casual and comfortable and not hamming up his "p-word" when Dan is in 100% full on screeching Disney actor character.

Nevertheless, it was an adorable video and I enjoyed it.

Though I did pause it halfway through when the loud music started because I was so confused, I'd thought a random pop-up ad was playing behind my screen or something. Eek.
phamnotof
morning quiff

You know, personally, I think the only unusual thing about that onsie situation is that this time, we were explicitly told they'd bought it beforehand. And I appreciate that it might ruin the immersion for someone, but I suppose it comes with engaging with someone on this level? Like watching a liveshow, as was pointed out already, puts you in a minority in itself. Remembering a random kangaroo onsie story from a few weeks ago even further cemments that. I mean, as was celebrated a few pages ago, this forum now has 666 members. Putting that next to a ls audience, much less the audience eventual of the video? Very telling.

And to me, it's actually immensely cool. It's like a tiny but very tangible proof that the relationship they've got with their GA is a far different one they have with the most engaged part of their fandom. Like we're allowed in behind that imaginary 4th wall specifically because there's few of us, we care on a different level and are willing to put in the time to think about the process that goes into making these videos. I, for one, love being a part of that conversation.

And as far as the actual onsie goes, the way I read it is that it's really nothing out of the ordinary. Neither real nor fake. But an acted out reaction likely similar to the one Dan had when they first got it. Exaggerated, yes. Fake - unlikely. YT is a really specific kind of performed self, and I'd say that the more realistically you can condense your (relatively) authentic self and reactions into these 10 minutes tibids, the better content creator you are. And they did a pretty fantastic job with this video, I'd say. (Except for that random loud music thing, what the hell was that? :D)
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

trashqueen wrote:
yeah, well, as i happen to have a brain i do realize that, it doesn't stop it from being annoying / breaking the ~immersion~ when you do know it's a lie

i also think they are genuinely entertaining and they don't need to overact like that
Completely agree. I know not everyone who watches Phil watches the LS but to pretend you have never seen it before is getting a bit old for me. I was like "Ffs Dan can you stop over reacting you are the one who brought it!!"

I didn't love the video like the rest of you. I just couldn't get over the overreaction from Dan (And this is coming from a Dan girl).
Maybe I need to re watch it to get the love the rest of you are feeling.

"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

hated the lazy video concept (full of stereotyping that just perpetuates a lot of problems, and kind of awkward coming from two british guys laughing about animals that are now threatened precisely *because* their people colonised the land...ugh) as an Australian, LOVED everything else about it.

i am number one reactor to Dan being over-acting dinof, but this didn't feel it to me. he was like 30% that, 70% just reacting normally to Phil being exceptionally delightful (srsly Phil i love whatever wave you're riding at the moment), and that is a really good ratio for someone who overthinks their presence on camera a lot and defaults to security blanket acting. i was proud of him.

7.18 ('are you excited to hang out with me on a plane for 23 hours? we can play eye-spy? yeah? yeah?') was my favourite of many moments, it felt the most genuine interaction to me. and i'm a whore for that feeling!

Dan replying to the question from the Mike guy he follows about sexual tension in the male swim team was interesting also, it felt like old-school Dan who used to reply to 09'/'10 queer friends from the little UK youtuber circle. casual, not a big deal, and not to a 'fan'.
art in avatar by lily
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

I forgot to mention, and I may be in the minority here, but Dan's post roo hairdo can get it.

PolarFox
truth bomb

blueapple_x wrote:
crash[] wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:
Thanks for explaining that because I was kinda confused about what he meant lol.

I still have to watch the second season....
Dan's a fake fan
But yeah, RinHaru went to australia... and ended up in one bed because the hotel didn't have a room with twin beds
but rinharu is not comparable to phan, as they are makoharu af and Dan himself said he ships makoharu over rinharu... well, I'm fujoshi enough to know what makoharu material is out there
I'm living for fudanshi Dan tbh.

About the video, I absolutely loved it and it's shitty editing and they are phurry confirmed also #teamnoshavedsides
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

phamnotof wrote:
And to me, it's actually immensely cool. It's like a tiny but very tangible proof that the relationship they've got with their GA is a far different one they have with the most engaged part of their fandom. Like we're allowed in behind that imaginary 4th wall specifically because there's few of us, we care on a different level and are willing to put in the time to think about the process that goes into making these videos. I, for one, love being a part of that conversation.
i have nothing intelligent to add to this as i'm too tired, but i wanted to say YES ME TOO, and i think this is an excellent (and intriguing) point.

edit: ahem also this.
Cora wrote:I forgot to mention, and I may be in the minority here, but Dan's post roo hairdo can get it.
agree. messier is always more flattering.
Last edited by mermaid blood on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
art in avatar by lily
vincentian
hobbit hair

Always late to post, the video was too and good to be true. If that's how Phil is going to be from now on (as in his Past life animals video "Are you going to include this?" "I think so, that’s what I said" *innocent face*), I’m all for it.

#teamshavedsides but when Dan's face is slimmer (like now), and for Phil faded sides rather than a harsh line
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

speaking of hair. (thanks akui, i'm assuming you found this on snapchat?)

well shit, that's attractive.
art in avatar by lily